• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • X-Era
    What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace
    • Feb 2005

We couldn't we wait?

Schobel is released, not traded, and probably not retiring.

The Bills lost one of their best players today and we got nothing in return.

This is a team that needs talented players now more than ever and it freely gave up one of its players for nothing.

Here's the deal, he's only playing for one more year supposedly, he's out of position on this team, he's at the end of his career. I get all that. Yes, the Bills needed to move forward. But, could they have simply waited? By waiting we could have waited until he put in his retirement papers, or until a team loses a layer due to injury and his value goes up.

Whats the rush? the guys that are here are working and gaining experience. If Schobel decided to show up, fine, pay him and let him play if he's earns a spot. If he doesn't, fine, he stays on the DNR list. I didnt think Schobel was a fit for what we want to do anyways, I dont think this is a big loss. I would hope they would spend that money to try to make us better, but thats another discussion.

This is not a bash, its simply a question of why we couldn't wait.
    Last edited by X-Era; 08-04-2010, 06:50 PM.

• Commissioner
    • Dec 2004

Re: We couldn't we wait?

It sounded to me like Schobel was on his way back... which means Bills would of had to at least pay him a $2 million roster bonus even if they cut him.

I think the Bills didn't feel like he offered them much more in the new scheme that guys already practicing do.
    Draft Gabbert at #3!

Comment

• justasportsfan
      • Jul 2002

this explains it very well

sacrifice1
      https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• X-Era
        • Feb 2005

Originally posted by Commissioner
        It sounded to me like Schobel was on his way back... which means Bills would of had to at least pay him a $2 million roster bonus even if they cut him.

I think the Bills didn't feel like he offered them much more in the new scheme that guys already practicing do.
        All reports Ive seen put his decision out a few weeks still. That's a few more weeks where injuries could happen... etc.

Besides, do they have some immediate plan for the 2mill? If Spiller's contract doesn't come for several more weeks, it wasn't about that, and I doubt they trade for or sign some significant payer.

Comment

• X-Era
          • Feb 2005

Originally posted by justasportsfan
          Even if he had zero trade value, which I don't totally believe, still, why now? Its not like Maybin and/or Kelsay couldnt get injured either.

Comment

• justasportsfan
            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by X-Era
            Even if he had zero trade value, which I don't totally believe, still, why now? Its not like Maybin and/or Kelsay couldnt get injured either.

I can only guess that they only decided now because they were hoping that Aaron would show up and be committed when camp started.

He does have trade value but not 8 million worth. 2 million if he should up and his 2010 salary. Bills would have to eat that if he showed up. Granted that his salary is negotiable with the new team how are the bills going to recoup the 2 million?
            Last edited by justasportsfan; 08-04-2010, 07:11 PM.
            sacrifice1

Comment

• X-Era
              • Feb 2005

I can only guess that they only decided now because they were hoping that Aaron would show up and be committed when camp started.
              So we sent a message that we expect all of our players to show up on time? And if they don't we release them? So if a player decides, while under contract, that he doesn't want to play for us and uses this approach, we release them?

Comment

• X-Era
                • Feb 2005

The Bills couldn't have said, stay away from camp and we will work a trade. And then behind scenes accommodated his wishes... no 2 mill lost, and we still get something for him.

Comment

• Night Train
                  Retired - On Several Levels
                  • Jul 2005

Save $$$$$$$ for a guy who didn't wish to be here.

He may only play 1 more year.

Converting to OLB at this point in his career ? ( age 33) Maybin & Ellis I can see. Standup DE's in college and far faster,younger.

I couldn't see Schobel or Kelsay as being the long term answers at OLB.
                  Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• X-Era
                    • Feb 2005

Originally posted by Night Train
                    Save $$$$$$$ for a guy who didn't wish to be here.

He may only play 1 more year.

Converting to OLB at this point in his career ? ( age 33) Maybin & Ellis I can see. Standup DE's in college and far faster,younger.

I couldn't see Schobel or Kelsay as being the long term answers at OLB.
                    Neither could I.

However, the same action could have been taken at anytime without impacting anything, not money, not players currently at camp. And during that wait, his price may rise or he may simply retire.

Cut him now we get nothing, cut him later we still get nothing... we wouldnt have lost anything by not doing it now.
                    Last edited by X-Era; 08-04-2010, 07:22 PM.

Comment

• justasportsfan
                      • Jul 2002

So we sent a message that we expect all of our players to show up on time? And if they don't we release them? So if a player decides, while under contract, that he doesn't want to play for us and uses this approach, we release them?
                      Actually the message they are sending our players is that there is no player bigger than the entire team. The bills gave him his freedom despite Aaron being indecisive . Time to concentrate on those who are here working their ass off. I'm sure they would appreciate that.
                      sacrifice1

Comment

• X-Era
                        • Feb 2005

Actually the message they are sending our players is that there is no player bigger than the entire team. The bills gave him his freedom despite Aaron being indecisive . Time to concentrate on those who are here working their ass off. I'm sure they would appreciate that.
                        I cant see how Aaron being at home, and us not paying anything for him while the current players are out there working affects anything at all; it shouldn't affect the team at all. Players shouldn't be thinking about players that arent even at camp... how about worrying about doing your job and trying to help us win.

Comment

• justasportsfan
                          • Jul 2002

Players shouldn't be thinking about players that arent even at camp... how about worrying about doing your job and trying to help us win.
                          I brought that up because you talked about sending messages to players.
                          sacrifice1

Comment

• trapezeus
                            Legendary Zoner
                            • Oct 2004

we didn't release an aaron schobel in his prime for nothing. we released a guy who has shown zero interest in being here. i think we'll be the same team with or without him. Save the money, build the core, find where the deficiencies are.

There is zero point in expecting the playoffs from this unit. all we can expect is that guys like wood, levitre, spiller, maybin, poz and the secondary prove that their solid...maybe be surprised by a steve johnson, easley, chad jackson, a handful of the RBs, maybe see Trent prove he has what it takes, and see a LT emerge to be good enough to be a solid back up.

That's the best case scenario in my mind aside from a full out miracle.

Comment

• X-Era
                              • Feb 2005

I brought that up because you talked about sending messages to players.
                              I just think it was doen for one of two reasons:

1) To send a message like you said- thats fine, but playing tough guy on a poor team may turn away future players.

2) To be nice to Aaron- thats good also. But, it sets a bad precedence that player can get get whatever they want and don't have to honor their contract.

Yet if we simply told Aaron to make up his mind and we will go from there, we are still in control, and may get something out of it.

What if Ralph meddled and told Nix to cut him because he was pissy that Aaron was playing games?

Comment

Working...
                              X