PDA

View Full Version : A move a rebuilding team should make

X-Era
08-05-2010, 08:41 AM
What we need is a well rounded team, not a team too deep at any position. Yet, thats the case we find ourselves in. This team should be moving a player or two from its areas of strength to fill gaps in its areas of weakness.

We are deep enough at RB and CB and should make a move to strengthen our O line especially at OT.

RB- If we don't move one of our other 2 starting backs, Spiller's impact will be stunted. I can see a two headed monster where each back gets 20 or so carries. But a three headed monster? That means each player gets 15 carries max, and even thats a stretch, it will be more like 10. At 4 yards a carry and for 16 games that means each players gets 640 yards on the ground. And all of that is best case hypothetical, we all know we will have games where we don't rush for 100 yards. 3 starting quality RB's makes no sense. Especially when you have blatant other needs. We need to move one. It should be Lynch. He has talent and upside, is young, and it would benefit us and him to change teams.

CB- You can never have too many CB's. Yes, I heard it, yes its true. But, what's the point in benching guys who could start at the nickel spot? At most, we will have 4 corners on the field at one time, and really its most likely three. We have 3 starters outside of the Nickel spot in Florence, McGee, and McKelvin. And that doesnt say anything about Corner, Youbouty, and the emerging Lankster. One of these CB's is expendable and still leaves us with decent depth. Many teams could use another corner. Especially a young one with the talent to start at the Nickel spot. Whether Youbouty or Corner, one should be moved. Hell, you may even make a strong argument for McGee. Florence can start and has proved it and McKelvin is good, and young and is a solid starter right now.

This team is rebuilding, we all know that. The Bills are evaluating players like Bell and Meredith to see if they can become solid NFL starters. They arent that right now. Yet a few teams have more proven Tackles and are deep enough to move one. The Ravens, who desperately need a CB are one. The Chargers, who signed Tra Thomas, could move McNeil. They trust in Mathews as their RB, but would they add another more proven player? It would seem to make sense for them.

If the Bills stay their current course and draft a LT in next years draft high, they may add that player they need and still keep their depth at CB and RB. But, if they were going to spend a high 2nd rounder for example on a LT, why not move a player and that pick for someone who is a known, proven player. Gaither or McNeil would make sense. Either steps in right away and is an upgrade to what we have. And either could pay huge dividends in paving a way for our run game or in protecting our QB's blindside. Our own defense with its low ranked pass rush is consistently beating our OL, But the Jets, Fins, and Pats wont?

McGee and our 2011 2nd rounder (likely top 15) doesn't get Gaither? That seems like too much to give actually. Lynch and our 2011 2nd isn't worth McNeil? We could sweeten the pot with another late pick or a low ranked CB? Building the draft is a time tested, solid method. But when you solely build that way without making trades for proven players or signing significant upgrades, you make a huge gamble on not drafting busts... or you simply don't get significantly better, whether you wait long enough or not.

Look, I'm all for being strong at CB and RB, and I get that it may take years to be solid across the board. And I get that our current plan is to develop what we have and add through the draft. That can work. But moving a player that will be underutilized and a pick that you would have spent anyways for a proven player at a huge hole sure seems like a solid move too. It helps this team win more now, it helps our run game be successful, and it helps give our QB time to throw and learn. And if you really want to evaluate what you have, wouldn't you want to put these guys in the best position to succeed?

Beebe's Kid
08-05-2010, 09:10 AM
I see the point, and understand the sentiment. I think that if we traded Lynch we would be sorry. There seems to be a lot of agreement that he looks like Beast Mode again.

Spiller is Spiller, we are all excited to see what he can bring to the team.

Jackson is the leader on this team, that desperately needs a leader. To get rid of Jackson would be a mistake, not only for his hard-nosed play, but for the intangibles.

Besides what they bring to the table individually, there is the chance that somebody busts a leg against the Phins, then we are shallow at RB. I have heard good things about Bell, and I know he has a following here, but is he really that good? I am not knocking him, just genuinely wondering.

I agree with the CB assessment, and the secondary in general. I don't have the hard-on so many do for Whitner. I think he makes our team better. I would explore a deal with some of the secondary depth, but am a little leery about what our return would be.

Gaither appears to be damaged goods, or at least too risky of a move for our team to make. If you roll the dice and it doesn't pan out, you set us back another couple years, plus we have his contract on the books. McNeil is intriguing, but will be expensive. There are a lot of things that come with a big contract, and ego is a big issue, both his and the players that are around him, which affect chemistry. I also shudder to think about what we would have to give up to get him.

X-Era
08-05-2010, 09:17 AM
I see the point, and understand the sentiment. I think that if we traded Lynch we would be sorry. There seems to be a lot of agreement that he looks like Beast Mode again.

Spiller is Spiller, we are all excited to see what he can bring to the team.

Jackson is the leader on this team, that desperately needs a leader. To get rid of Jackson would be a mistake, not only for his hard-nosed play, but for the intangibles.

Besides what they bring to the table individually, there is the chance that somebody busts a leg against the Phins, then we are shallow at RB. I have heard good things about Bell, and I know he has a following here, but is he really that good? I am not knocking him, just genuinely wondering.

I agree with the CB assessment, and the secondary in general. I don't have the hard-on so many do for Whitner. I think he makes our team better. I would explore a deal with some of the secondary depth, but am a little leery about what our return would be.

Gaither appears to be damaged goods, or at least too risky of a move for our team to make. If you roll the dice and it doesn't pan out, you set us back another couple years, plus we have his contract on the books. McNeil is intriguing, but will be expensive. There are a lot of things that come with a big contract, and ego is a big issue, both his and the players that are around him, which affect chemistry. I also shudder to think about what we would have to give up to get him.
Peters was a low 1st, 4th, and 6th I think. I don't think he's rated as high as Peters when he was traded. So, a high 2nd, a player worth a 4th, and a low pick seem to fit. Money? I simply wont hear that argument. We just got back 6.5mill for Schobel and 6.5 mill for T.O. on a team that was under the cap before it disappeared. They spent 111 mill last season with TO and Schobel, both are gone now with 13 mill coming back to us. http://www.wgrz.com/sports/story.aspx?storyid=79266&catid=4. We spent on Torbor, Davis, Edwards and Green plus our rook's... but all of that may not eat up that 13 mill. And the 09 cap was 127 mill meaning we were under by 16.

And I want to say this. Every time I see arguments like this is tells me we are happy with the Bills method... which then means we should be happy with the results.

k-oneputt
08-05-2010, 09:23 AM
I would try and package McGee and Jackson first. Age and injuries make these two the leading canidates imo.

What they really need is some of their previous 1st rd.and 2nd rd draft picks to start perfroming. Poz, McKelvin, Whitner, Maybin, Hardy. Those guys should be the core of the team and so far they have provided next to nothing.

chernobylwraiths
08-05-2010, 09:36 AM
Well, while I agree with the sentiments of trading a corner and running back, I don't think we are in the position to do so yet. Spiller hasn't even signed yet, so you NEVER count your chickens... I believe that waiting is probably the only thing to do at this point. A team like Denver might be in need of a running back right now, but if we wait till most of preseason is over or even a regular season game or two, there is a high probability of more than one team being in need of something we have that might benefit them.

I have no delusions of the Bills being a high quality team this year, so with that in mind I believe we need to get more draft picks or young players with good potential for the future and we can afford to wait for the right offer to come along. Parting ways with any aging veterans who might attract a good price is something I would do as well. Though I think Stroud is the only person that fits that bill. There are reletively few veterans that I would part with on this team and if a high enough price were offered, I would part with anybody. This team needs too much help at too many different areas to turn their nose up at a good deal.

BloFan4Life
08-05-2010, 09:48 AM
Evans for McNeil straight up. Jackson is suspended for the 1st 3 games so they could use a WR. Evans deserves better than this. He is a much better player then what it shows in Buffalo. He is being wasted here. Also, the money we just saved with Schobel and would trade with Evans would be more than enough to cover McNeil's contract.

bigbub2352
08-05-2010, 10:12 AM
They should cut some dead weight and inflated contracts as well...Chris Kelsay, Roscoe Parrish, Ashton Youboty, Ryan Fitzpatrick and Cornell Green even thou we just signed him should be cut...and trade Marshawn Lynch fill the roster with new regime guys and let's see what we got in some of these draft picks and UDFA's

bigbub2352
08-05-2010, 10:13 AM
add Derek Schouman, Felton Huggins, Jon Corto, and Kirk Chambers to that list

BillsWin
08-05-2010, 10:52 AM
I agree 100% x-era.

casdhf
08-05-2010, 12:00 PM
I don't think we should trade our best defender.

justasportsfan
08-05-2010, 12:06 PM
Evans for McNeil straight up. Jackson is suspended for the 1st 3 games so they could use a WR. Evans deserves better than this. He is a much better player then what it shows in Buffalo. He is being wasted here. Also, the money we just saved with Schobel and would trade with Evans would be more than enough to cover McNeil's contract.

are you trying to sabotage the bills? you should cahnge you name to SDFan4Life.

k-oneputt
08-05-2010, 01:04 PM
I don't think we should trade our best defender.

You think McGee is our best defender ?

I don't think you would even miss him if traded. He's a solid corner but not elite. We have a lot of good corners.

BloFan4Life
08-05-2010, 02:01 PM
are you trying to sabotage the bills? you should cahnge you name to SDFan4Life.

What do you mean?? Evans isn't going to get the ball anyways. He is wasted in this system. If you can get a young pro bowl LT for him, you do it. Also, isn't Evans like 29??? For a team a couple seasons away from the playoffs, we should try to get younger.

k-oneputt
08-05-2010, 02:18 PM
I would trade Evans for McNeil in a second, and the money would work out.

Mr. Pink
08-05-2010, 03:48 PM
I would also trade Evans for McNeil in a second, I however don't think SD would do that trade.

Akhippo
08-05-2010, 04:42 PM
I think you look at this option when you are at the front door knocking. Not when you are driving down the street still looking for the address.

They wont be good this year regardless of trades.

justasportsfan
08-05-2010, 05:28 PM
What do you mean?? Evans isn't going to get the ball anyways. He is wasted in this system. If you can get a young pro bowl LT for him, you do it. Also, isn't Evans like 29??? For a team a couple seasons away from the playoffs, we should try to get younger.

I was just kidding about the first part ;)

While I would love to have McNiel as our LT ,not every team needs a probowl LT to win a sb. The saints did it with a 4th rd. pick in Bushrod , the Colts have a 6th rd. lt in Charlie Johnson , while the chargers didn't make it to the sb.

With Mcniell holding out, he would command a huge contract that I think Nix would stay away from especially since he wants to build via the draft.

We don't have a proven wr other than Lee. He's already on the team and like FTY already stated, I doubt the chargers will go for that. You are correct, we should get younger at wr but not until Lee has his sure replacement.

YardRat
08-05-2010, 07:58 PM
Too late now, IMO. Let's see what we've got this season, and move on from there. I wouldn't give up a RB or a starting CB at this point for Gaither or one of the guys from New Orleans, and nobody else is really worth going after. McNeil would be very cool, but let's face reality...bringing him in is a pipe dream, unless we really pay out of the ass with players and draft picks, and that would end up being counter-productive.

X-Era
08-09-2010, 06:04 PM
Too late now, IMO. Let's see what we've got this season, and move on from there. I wouldn't give up a RB or a starting CB at this point for Gaither or one of the guys from New Orleans, and nobody else is really worth going after. McNeil would be very cool, but let's face reality...bringing him in is a pipe dream, unless we really pay out of the ass with players and draft picks, and that would end up being counter-productive.

LaCanfora came out with the report that Spiller will go with the 1's. And ESPN Insider followed up with renewed speculation that Lynch may be on the move. They said the Seahawks, Rams, and Broncos may be interesting.

The Ravens released Harris and are supposedly looking to trade for a CB.

better days
08-09-2010, 06:13 PM
LaCanfora came out with the report that Spiller will go with the 1's. And ESPN Insider followed up with renewed speculation that Lynch may be on the move. They said the Seahawks, Rams, and Broncos may be interesting.

The Ravens released Harris and are supposedly looking to trade for a CB.

I think is is much easier for fans to talk about a trade than for a GM to actually make one. I'm sure a number of teams would be happy to take Lynch off the Bills hands. The question is what will they give in return?

I would not want to see the Bills give away any player for too little.

X-Era
08-09-2010, 06:15 PM
I think is is much easier for fans to talk about a trade than for a GM to actually make one.
Ya think.

I'm sure a number of teams would be happy to take Lynch off the Bills hands. The question is what will they give in return?
Could just be a pick, Id prefer moving directly from a position of strength to a position of need. But it may not be possible.

BertSquirtgum
08-09-2010, 09:29 PM
i wouldn't want them to waste any time on trying to get gaither. if they were to use any effort at all. i would hope it would be for marcus mcneil. i think he is a much better all around player than gaither.

Buffalogic
08-09-2010, 11:27 PM
http://billszone.com/fanzone/showthread.php?t=194151

Mr. Pink
08-10-2010, 12:33 AM
A rebuilding team should always deal from a position of strength to make the team better as a whole.

I've been saying this for years but have always been laughed at or told we need 2 strong running backs - no we don't and now we have 3 for no apparent reason. You can be successful with a workhorse back and an average to below average to give the prime runner a spell.

We have an access of nickel corners...totally unnecessary.

Roscoe Parrish, for example, has been unnecessary for years. Along with other "special team aces."

It's great to have some positions of strength, don't get me wrong, but when you're weak as a whole you should be doing everything you possible can to solidify the team.

Just like it's great to have solid special teams but not when it comes at the expense of the offense or defense.

X-Era
08-10-2010, 06:20 AM
A rebuilding team should always deal from a position of strength to make the team better as a whole.

I've been saying this for years but have always been laughed at or told we need 2 strong running backs - no we don't and now we have 3 for no apparent reason. You can be successful with a workhorse back and an average to below average to give the prime runner a spell.

We have an access of nickel corners...totally unnecessary.

Roscoe Parrish, for example, has been unnecessary for years. Along with other "special team aces."

It's great to have some positions of strength, don't get me wrong, but when you're weak as a whole you should be doing everything you possible can to solidify the team.

Just like it's great to have solid special teams but not when it comes at the expense of the offense or defense.

I agree.

And last night Gailey said the key to our success will be protection. He can see it. He knows Trent needs time. I watch Trent and almost every time he drops back I can count off 3 to 4 seconds before he throws it. Our pass rush is not that great, so he's able to make plays. But against a very good pass rush team, some of those plays he may get sacked.

Its the preseason, we wont know for sure what our protection will look like yet until the real bullet's fly. But Gailey saying that, he knows the situation.

If there was some way to shore up that left tackle spot. I don't know the inner workings, maybe they have some opportunities to get a significant upgrade, maybe they don't.

But, having 3 starting quality running backs makes little sense to me. I don't want Spiller's growth or impact stunted because we have to get Lynch or Jackson the ball. Nor do I want to outright bench Lynch or Jackson.

I also think having 3 starting quality corner's plus 2 more starting quality nickel backs and an emerging Lankster is excessive as well.

k-oneputt
08-10-2010, 09:10 AM
If Bell and Green are your starting o-tackles you are in for a long season. And that's if they can even stay healthy for the whole season, which will not happen.
All of this has been known for a long time and their big move was C. Green ? That is a joke.

HHURRICANE
08-10-2010, 09:39 AM
Our o-line is not good. That is a fact. gailey seems to be making a point to the front office that we need lineman. he stressed protection several times and also said that he didn't expect the line to stay healthy all season which I thought was a pretty realistic comment.

I think this team is much better than people realize. Our D is going to be very good. We have very good RBs and it seems like there is some WR and TE talent starting to emerge.

The o-line is the achilles heel and when Bell or Green go down, which they will, it's going to be an even longer season.

HHURRICANE
08-10-2010, 10:25 AM
As usual adding nothing football related. What exactly is the backup plan at o-tackle ? If/when our half a season starter at left tackle goes down and our journymen right tackle hits the turf ?

Gailey already through that out at last nights prcatice. If he's concerned about it than we should be.

better days
08-10-2010, 12:28 PM
As usual adding nothing football related. What exactly is the backup plan at o-tackle ? If/when our half a season starter at left tackle goes down and our journymen right tackle hits the turf ?

If there is an injury at OT they will either play someone they have on the team or pick up somebody working at Walmart. What is the difference? This team is not going to the Super Bowl this year anyway.

better days
08-10-2010, 01:40 PM
They might want to think about getting some u-tackles if they ever plan on going to the play-offs again. Meridith, Galloway, Wang { if still not injured ] Watkins ??? Move Levitre over ?

I think QB & LT will be priorities next draft. I think they thought Spiller was too good to pass up for an average OT this year & there were no QB's they liked all that much.

k-oneputt
08-10-2010, 02:42 PM
I think QB & LT will be priorities next draft. I think they thought Spiller was too good to pass up for an average OT this year & there were no QB's they liked all that much.

I think that is exactly their thoughts. I am on board w/ Spiller as I think he is a special talent, as long as they us him. i wasn't big on buluga at #9 but I would have take Clausen in rd. 2 and got the nt in the 3rd.
I hope Bell and Green hold up and are functional or it could be a real mess.

X-Era
08-10-2010, 05:50 PM
Our o-line is not good. That is a fact. gailey seems to be making a point to the front office that we need lineman. he stressed protection several times and also said that he didn't expect the line to stay healthy all season which I thought was a pretty realistic comment.

I think this team is much better than people realize. Our D is going to be very good. We have very good RBs and it seems like there is some WR and TE talent starting to emerge.

The o-line is the achilles heel and when Bell or Green go down, which they will, it's going to be an even longer season.

Middle of the road, some good, some bad, I like it.

X-Era
08-10-2010, 05:57 PM

I agree with the second part of this. Its inline pretty much with what they said. I think a few of those Tackles can be very good, but they may have simply liked Spiller that much more.

I do believe that they are in rebuild mode and see this team as needing many years to build. That means they wont think they can answer all problems in one year. However, I also think they have high expectations for Trent and Bell. If either performs well enough, we may just stick with that player for next year as well at least. What will happen? No clue. Its possible that both fail enough to force us to look at replacements. But, its also possible that Bell goes the way of Peters and becomes a solid LT in this league, or that Trent, under Gailey's tool-age, finally takes the next step to becoming a guy we can win with.

I guess its hope for the best, but expect the worst.

X-Era
08-11-2010, 02:12 PM
The Saints need a running back, we have an extra one. We need a OT, they have Charles Brown (just drafted), Stinchcomb (RT), and Bushrod (starting LT). Lynch would be the perfect complement to Reggie Bush.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/08/11/the-saints-need-a-running-back/

X-Era
08-11-2010, 06:27 PM
Love this comment by Chris Brown during todays live chat:

<table><tbody><tr valign="top"><tr valign="top"><td>[Comment From Smitty in OrlandoSmitty in Orlando: ]
Do you see the Bills trading maybe one of our CB or Safeties since we have so much depth for maybe an O -line man which will make us a better team. </td></tr></tr></tbody></table>
<table><tbody><tr valign="top"><tr valign="top"><td>Chris Brown:
It would certainly make sense to deal from a position of strength to make yourself stronger somewhere else. But in talking to NFL execs over the years it's easier said than done. </td></tr></tr></tbody></table>

Mr. Pink
08-12-2010, 03:09 AM
The Saints need a running back, we have an extra one. We need a OT, they have Charles Brown (just drafted), Stinchcomb (RT), and Bushrod (starting LT). Lynch would be the perfect complement to Reggie Bush.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/08/11/the-saints-need-a-running-back/

They already have Pierre Thomas.

I doubt they'll give up a starting caliber Tackle to acquire a 3rd string RB.

Good in theory, bad in reality.