• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • X-Era
    What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace
    • Feb 2005

A move a rebuilding team should make

What we need is a well rounded team, not a team too deep at any position. Yet, thats the case we find ourselves in. This team should be moving a player or two from its areas of strength to fill gaps in its areas of weakness.

We are deep enough at RB and CB and should make a move to strengthen our O line especially at OT.

RB- If we don't move one of our other 2 starting backs, Spiller's impact will be stunted. I can see a two headed monster where each back gets 20 or so carries. But a three headed monster? That means each player gets 15 carries max, and even thats a stretch, it will be more like 10. At 4 yards a carry and for 16 games that means each players gets 640 yards on the ground. And all of that is best case hypothetical, we all know we will have games where we don't rush for 100 yards. 3 starting quality RB's makes no sense. Especially when you have blatant other needs. We need to move one. It should be Lynch. He has talent and upside, is young, and it would benefit us and him to change teams.

CB- You can never have too many CB's. Yes, I heard it, yes its true. But, what's the point in benching guys who could start at the nickel spot? At most, we will have 4 corners on the field at one time, and really its most likely three. We have 3 starters outside of the Nickel spot in Florence, McGee, and McKelvin. And that doesnt say anything about Corner, Youbouty, and the emerging Lankster. One of these CB's is expendable and still leaves us with decent depth. Many teams could use another corner. Especially a young one with the talent to start at the Nickel spot. Whether Youbouty or Corner, one should be moved. Hell, you may even make a strong argument for McGee. Florence can start and has proved it and McKelvin is good, and young and is a solid starter right now.

This team is rebuilding, we all know that. The Bills are evaluating players like Bell and Meredith to see if they can become solid NFL starters. They arent that right now. Yet a few teams have more proven Tackles and are deep enough to move one. The Ravens, who desperately need a CB are one. The Chargers, who signed Tra Thomas, could move McNeil. They trust in Mathews as their RB, but would they add another more proven player? It would seem to make sense for them.

If the Bills stay their current course and draft a LT in next years draft high, they may add that player they need and still keep their depth at CB and RB. But, if they were going to spend a high 2nd rounder for example on a LT, why not move a player and that pick for someone who is a known, proven player. Gaither or McNeil would make sense. Either steps in right away and is an upgrade to what we have. And either could pay huge dividends in paving a way for our run game or in protecting our QB's blindside. Our own defense with its low ranked pass rush is consistently beating our OL, But the Jets, Fins, and Pats wont?

McGee and our 2011 2nd rounder (likely top 15) doesn't get Gaither? That seems like too much to give actually. Lynch and our 2011 2nd isn't worth McNeil? We could sweeten the pot with another late pick or a low ranked CB? Building the draft is a time tested, solid method. But when you solely build that way without making trades for proven players or signing significant upgrades, you make a huge gamble on not drafting busts... or you simply don't get significantly better, whether you wait long enough or not.

Look, I'm all for being strong at CB and RB, and I get that it may take years to be solid across the board. And I get that our current plan is to develop what we have and add through the draft. That can work. But moving a player that will be underutilized and a pick that you would have spent anyways for a proven player at a huge hole sure seems like a solid move too. It helps this team win more now, it helps our run game be successful, and it helps give our QB time to throw and learn. And if you really want to evaluate what you have, wouldn't you want to put these guys in the best position to succeed?
    Last edited by X-Era; 08-05-2010, 08:45 AM.

• Beebe's Kid
    • Nov 2009

Re: A move a rebuilding team should make

I see the point, and understand the sentiment. I think that if we traded Lynch we would be sorry. There seems to be a lot of agreement that he looks like Beast Mode again.

Spiller is Spiller, we are all excited to see what he can bring to the team.

Jackson is the leader on this team, that desperately needs a leader. To get rid of Jackson would be a mistake, not only for his hard-nosed play, but for the intangibles.

Besides what they bring to the table individually, there is the chance that somebody busts a leg against the Phins, then we are shallow at RB. I have heard good things about Bell, and I know he has a following here, but is he really that good? I am not knocking him, just genuinely wondering.

I agree with the CB assessment, and the secondary in general. I don't have the hard-on so many do for Whitner. I think he makes our team better. I would explore a deal with some of the secondary depth, but am a little leery about what our return would be.

Gaither appears to be damaged goods, or at least too risky of a move for our team to make. If you roll the dice and it doesn't pan out, you set us back another couple years, plus we have his contract on the books. McNeil is intriguing, but will be expensive. There are a lot of things that come with a big contract, and ego is a big issue, both his and the players that are around him, which affect chemistry. I also shudder to think about what we would have to give up to get him.

Comment

• X-Era
      What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace
      • Feb 2005

Originally posted by Beebe's Kid
      I see the point, and understand the sentiment. I think that if we traded Lynch we would be sorry. There seems to be a lot of agreement that he looks like Beast Mode again.

Spiller is Spiller, we are all excited to see what he can bring to the team.

Jackson is the leader on this team, that desperately needs a leader. To get rid of Jackson would be a mistake, not only for his hard-nosed play, but for the intangibles.

Besides what they bring to the table individually, there is the chance that somebody busts a leg against the Phins, then we are shallow at RB. I have heard good things about Bell, and I know he has a following here, but is he really that good? I am not knocking him, just genuinely wondering.

I agree with the CB assessment, and the secondary in general. I don't have the hard-on so many do for Whitner. I think he makes our team better. I would explore a deal with some of the secondary depth, but am a little leery about what our return would be.

Gaither appears to be damaged goods, or at least too risky of a move for our team to make. If you roll the dice and it doesn't pan out, you set us back another couple years, plus we have his contract on the books. McNeil is intriguing, but will be expensive. There are a lot of things that come with a big contract, and ego is a big issue, both his and the players that are around him, which affect chemistry. I also shudder to think about what we would have to give up to get him.
      Peters was a low 1st, 4th, and 6th I think. I don't think he's rated as high as Peters when he was traded. So, a high 2nd, a player worth a 4th, and a low pick seem to fit. Money? I simply wont hear that argument. We just got back 6.5mill for Schobel and 6.5 mill for T.O. on a team that was under the cap before it disappeared. They spent 111 mill last season with TO and Schobel, both are gone now with 13 mill coming back to us. http://www.wgrz.com/sports/story.asp...=79266&catid=4. We spent on Torbor, Davis, Edwards and Green plus our rook's... but all of that may not eat up that 13 mill. And the 09 cap was 127 mill meaning we were under by 16.

And I want to say this. Every time I see arguments like this is tells me we are happy with the Bills method... which then means we should be happy with the results.
      Last edited by X-Era; 08-05-2010, 09:23 AM.

Comment

• k-oneputt
        • Jun 2009

I would try and package McGee and Jackson first. Age and injuries make these two the leading canidates imo.

What they really need is some of their previous 1st rd.and 2nd rd draft picks to start perfroming. Poz, McKelvin, Whitner, Maybin, Hardy. Those guys should be the core of the team and so far they have provided next to nothing.

Comment

• chernobylwraiths
          • Jan 2003

Well, while I agree with the sentiments of trading a corner and running back, I don't think we are in the position to do so yet. Spiller hasn't even signed yet, so you NEVER count your chickens... I believe that waiting is probably the only thing to do at this point. A team like Denver might be in need of a running back right now, but if we wait till most of preseason is over or even a regular season game or two, there is a high probability of more than one team being in need of something we have that might benefit them.

I have no delusions of the Bills being a high quality team this year, so with that in mind I believe we need to get more draft picks or young players with good potential for the future and we can afford to wait for the right offer to come along. Parting ways with any aging veterans who might attract a good price is something I would do as well. Though I think Stroud is the only person that fits that bill. There are reletively few veterans that I would part with on this team and if a high enough price were offered, I would part with anybody. This team needs too much help at too many different areas to turn their nose up at a good deal.

Comment

• BloFan4Life
            • Dec 2009

Evans for McNeil straight up. Jackson is suspended for the 1st 3 games so they could use a WR. Evans deserves better than this. He is a much better player then what it shows in Buffalo. He is being wasted here. Also, the money we just saved with Schobel and would trade with Evans would be more than enough to cover McNeil's contract.

Comment

• bigbub2352
              • Feb 2005

They should cut some dead weight and inflated contracts as well...Chris Kelsay, Roscoe Parrish, Ashton Youboty, Ryan Fitzpatrick and Cornell Green even thou we just signed him should be cut...and trade Marshawn Lynch fill the roster with new regime guys and let's see what we got in some of these draft picks and UDFA's
              XTRA CRISPY XTRA SAUCEY

Comment

• bigbub2352
                • Feb 2005

add Derek Schouman, Felton Huggins, Jon Corto, and Kirk Chambers to that list
                XTRA CRISPY XTRA SAUCEY

Comment

• BillsWin
                  man amongst boys
                  • Oct 2008

I agree 100% x-era.
                  I am The Batman.

Comment

• casdhf
                    • Jul 2002

I don't think we should trade our best defender.
                    Originally posted by BillsZone Mod
                    cas,

I'm just letting you know that you have been given 2 points for telling Wys AKA Mark to kill himself.

BillsZone Mod

Comment

• justasportsfan
                      • Jul 2002

Originally posted by BloFan4Life
                      Evans for McNeil straight up. Jackson is suspended for the 1st 3 games so they could use a WR. Evans deserves better than this. He is a much better player then what it shows in Buffalo. He is being wasted here. Also, the money we just saved with Schobel and would trade with Evans would be more than enough to cover McNeil's contract.

are you trying to sabotage the bills? you should cahnge you name to SDFan4Life.
                      Last edited by justasportsfan; 08-05-2010, 12:06 PM.
                      sacrifice1
                      https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• k-oneputt
                        • Jun 2009

Originally posted by casdhf
                        I don't think we should trade our best defender.
                        You think McGee is our best defender ?

I don't think you would even miss him if traded. He's a solid corner but not elite. We have a lot of good corners.

Comment

• BloFan4Life
                          • Dec 2009

Originally posted by justasportsfan
                          are you trying to sabotage the bills? you should cahnge you name to SDFan4Life.
                          What do you mean?? Evans isn't going to get the ball anyways. He is wasted in this system. If you can get a young pro bowl LT for him, you do it. Also, isn't Evans like 29??? For a team a couple seasons away from the playoffs, we should try to get younger.

Comment

• k-oneputt
                            • Jun 2009

I would trade Evans for McNeil in a second, and the money would work out.

Comment

• Mr. Pink
                              Peterman Sucks!
                              • Mar 2006

I would also trade Evans for McNeil in a second, I however don't think SD would do that trade.

Comment

Working...
                              X