PDA

View Full Version : Here's why Brian Brohm needs to start

Yasgur's Farm
08-05-2010, 09:36 AM
http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-3/Practice-Notes---Day-7/ebccdd1a-4beb-434e-ab5c-4ac810d1548f (http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-3/Practice-Notes---Day-7/ebccdd1a-4beb-434e-ab5c-4ac810d1548f)
Chad Jackson did a good job of leaping and fighting his defender off to make a catch on the far side of the field from Brian Brohm.

James Hardy outjumped his defender to make a catch on the far side of the field as well from Brohm.
Here are 2 examples from last night of BB allowing his receivers to go get the ball. That's something we'll never see from TE... Yet we hear day after day how BB puts the ball up for his receivers... Or how he threads the needle for completions. AND HE'S DOING IT WITHOUT PATTING THE BALL!!! WATCH THE VIDEOS!

While it's true that Fits will do the same... He doesn't have the same arm strength nor talent as Brohm.

The King
08-05-2010, 09:37 AM
Dude's third string. Get over it.

Yasgur's Farm
08-05-2010, 09:41 AM
I'm not sure where you're getting this "3rd string" stuff from. Gailey's made it clear that there's a competition... And there's obviously a reason why there needs to be a competition... Because our "veteran starter" isn't good enough. Hell... He's not good at all!

The last buffalo fan
08-05-2010, 09:43 AM
I like Edwards, but also know he won't take us to the promised land. I would love to see Brohm get a fair chance to show us what he got, we are playing for the 1st to 5th spot on next year draft anyway. :beers:

trapezeus
08-05-2010, 09:44 AM
how long will it take for you to turn on brohm? the issue seems to me is that trent operates best with protection. He isn't going to sling away at chances. this isn't unique to QB's. there aren't a lot of brett favres. and the ones that are like him aren't usually very good.

brohm may hit a couple passes with receivers making plays, but we need that line.

Edwards may not be the guy, but he is slotted number 1 and getting the majority of the work there. there hasn't been any change. so my guess is the coaches are believing the same thing. make due with what we got and see how it works out.

The King
08-05-2010, 09:48 AM
I'm not sure where you're getting this "3rd string" stuff from. Gailey's made it clear that there's a competition... And there's obviously a reason why there needs to be a competition... Because our "veteran starter" isn't good enough. Hell... He's not good at all!

Sure there is a competition... and in the current standings Brohm is third.

psubills62
08-05-2010, 09:51 AM
Sure there is a competition... and in the current standings Brohm is third.

Last I knew, he was at the least tied for 2nd if not ahead of Fitz.

Yasgur's Farm
08-05-2010, 09:53 AM
He's had #1 reps and many reps at #2... Again... Where do you get this #3 stuff?

ddaryl
08-05-2010, 09:56 AM

actually reports have him ahead of Fitz for sure. Nothing but negatives being reported in that regard.... I'm starting to hear some real positives from Levi Brown recently to.

BUT Trent has been captain checkdown in practices for the most part from what I've been reading.

This will sort itself out by the end of pre-season game #2 IMO.

Ron Burgundy
08-05-2010, 09:56 AM
I'm not sure where you're getting this "3rd string" stuff from.

Because that's what he is. By nature now, by definition very soon.

Yasgur's Farm
08-05-2010, 10:16 AM
All I'm looking for is someone to give me something to support the statement... Because so far... All I'm hearing is "because I say so".

I've given my supporting logic... Time to hear your's.

Ron Burgundy
08-05-2010, 10:30 AM
All I'm looking for is someone to give me something to support the statement... Because so far... All I'm hearing is "because I say so".

I'm pretty sure every argument on earth has already been spoken both for and against Brian Brohm as a starter, quarterback, and human being.

I'd prefer not to dig all the **** about Green Bay, Matt Flynn, Louisville, practice squad, etc. up again, but I guess we can have the same discussion everyone on this board has already had 69 million times if you really want to.

Yasgur's Farm
08-05-2010, 10:38 AM
I guess we'll just have to go thru the preseason process to find out who steps forward.

BillsWin
08-05-2010, 10:44 AM
Brohm isn't third. 2nd and 3rd string are still undefined and by almost all reports via espn, twitter, wgr, or bb.com have Brohm getting 2nd team reps while Fitz has struggled with the 2's and 3s. One reporter either for wgr or buffalo rumblings tweeted last week something to the effect of, "Trent is underwhelming, Brohm making plays, is clear No. 2 over Fitz."

I just want us to draft a stud next year.

Ron Burgundy
08-05-2010, 10:50 AM
I just want us to draft a stud next year.

Assuming none of the current crop of underachievers undergoes a miraculous change, I'm right there with you.

Ron Burgundy
08-05-2010, 10:51 AM
I guess we'll just have to go thru the preseason process to find out who steps forward.

That's all we can do anyways, 'less you think that we're swaying minds over at OBD or something with our piercing insight.

DraftBoy
08-05-2010, 10:55 AM
Assuming none of the current crop of underachievers undergoes a miraculous change, I'm right there with you.

His name will hopefully be Andrew Luck.

OpIv37
08-05-2010, 10:55 AM
Why did I suddenly think of the episode of South Park where the kids had to choose either a giant douche or a turd sandwich to be their school mascot?

Look, it doesn't matter who ends up starting- none of our 3 QB's are very good.

Ron Burgundy
08-05-2010, 10:58 AM

I'd definitely rather have Luck than Locker.

DraftBoy
08-05-2010, 11:00 AM
I'd definitely rather have Luck than Locker.

Luck will be the top player in any class he comes out of.

The King
08-05-2010, 11:00 AM

http://billsdaily.com/depthchart/

Ron Burgundy
08-05-2010, 11:05 AM

Yeah, yeah, keep throwing those predictions down. I WILL USE THEM TO CRUSH YOU WHEN YOU CHANGE YOUR MIND AS THE DRAFT APPROACHES.

Yasgur's Farm
08-05-2010, 11:06 AM
That's not how it's playing out on the field... Brohm is getting the bulk of #2 and some #1.

Nighthawk
08-05-2010, 12:11 PM

No, he's not. And posting a fan's site with their depth chart doesn't change the fact that Brohm has received the majority of the #2 reps and some #1 reps.

Nighthawk
08-05-2010, 12:14 PM

Everything I've heard and seen out this guy screams "franchise QB". Didn't Ralph Wilson state during our recent HC and GM search that this organization was lacking a little "Luck"?

acehole
08-05-2010, 12:28 PM
http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-3/Practice-Notes---Day-7/ebccdd1a-4beb-434e-ab5c-4ac810d1548f (http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-3/Practice-Notes---Day-7/ebccdd1a-4beb-434e-ab5c-4ac810d1548f) Here are 2 examples from last night of BB allowing his receivers to go get the ball. That's something we'll never see from TE... Yet we hear day after day how BB puts the ball up for his receivers... Or how he threads the needle for completions. AND HE'S DOING IT WITHOUT PATTING THE BALL!!! WATCH THE VIDEOS!

While it's true that Fits will do the same... He doesn't have the same arm strength nor talent as Brohm.

If B Bro can gain a little confidence I would be for it. He seem "Seems" to lack leadership skills and or some confidence when you hear him speak. If it is humility that is fine and you can lead with a quiet confidences as long as you are making plays. I don't think it maters if Trent starts the season he has the potential to be out after 4 series....I would keep Trent, B Bro and Brown. trent actually makes the perfect back up anyway...Brown will get scooped on Practice squad me thinks...Fitz is like holcolm...no upside...but coach likes him.....blah

DraftBoy
08-05-2010, 12:32 PM
Yeah, yeah, keep throwing those predictions down. I WILL USE THEM TO CRUSH YOU WHEN YOU CHANGE YOUR MIND AS THE DRAFT APPROACHES.

Bring it *****.

HHURRICANE
08-05-2010, 01:05 PM
I have to tell you that I'm really starting to believe that it wont matter who the QB is. They are all dead.

This o-line is a repeat of last year when they were getting man-handled in camp.

Sadly, I don't think the Bills would suck that bad with some tackles.

Ron Burgundy
08-05-2010, 02:24 PM
Bring it *****.

That's all I do, mother****er, don't sweat the technique.

JCBills
08-05-2010, 02:36 PM
how long will it take for you to turn on brohm? the issue seems to me is that trent operates best with protection. He isn't going to sling away at chances. this isn't unique to QB's. there aren't a lot of brett favres. and the ones that are like him aren't usually very good.

brohm may hit a couple passes with receivers making plays, but we need that line.

Edwards may not be the guy, but he is slotted number 1 and getting the majority of the work there. there hasn't been any change. so my guess is the coaches are believing the same thing. make due with what we got and see how it works out.

Huh?

Just about every good QB in the league will throw it into those tight windows, throw it before the window is even there, or throw a 50/50 ball and let his teammates make plays. That's how good QBs operate, and it usually leads to success, as well as adding a level of unpredictability. Trent used to do this from time to time. Haven't seen it from him in a while.

Obviously Trent, or any QB, will operate best with protection. He won't have stellar shielding up front, and he appears to be taking his sweet ass time to make throws. That red jersey rule is nice in practice.

JCBills
08-05-2010, 02:37 PM

The ladies sweat the style like the squirrel sweats the nuts.

JCBills
08-05-2010, 02:38 PM
http://billsdaily.com/depthchart/

Was this an intentional self failure or?

Dr. Lecter
08-05-2010, 03:09 PM

Just to disagree with you (cause it is fun), I want Ponder.

But I reserve the right to change my mind.

Buffalogic
08-05-2010, 03:09 PM
Brian Brohm will never win the starting job ever. It's amusing the people who cling to him for hope. He's total garbaggio. I know you are bills fans but get a grip.

The King
08-05-2010, 03:44 PM
No, he's not. And posting a fan's site with their depth chart doesn't change the fact that Brohm has received the majority of the #2 reps and some #1 reps.http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/teams/buf/depthchart

http://espn.go.com/nfl/team/depth/_/name/buf/buffalo-bills

Yasgur's Farm
08-05-2010, 03:47 PM
Have you checked to see who's running the 1st team at today's practice? Just wondering.

Mr. Pink
08-05-2010, 03:50 PM
Here would have been a better and more logical thread start...

Brohm needs to start because his name isn't Edwards or Fitzpatrick.

That's the only legitimate reason someone can come up with to start him because in reality he's just as bad if not worse than those two.

DraftBoy
08-05-2010, 04:46 PM

Time and time again while I'm sipping on this Gin, Al Davis said it best, just win baby win.

DraftBoy
08-05-2010, 04:47 PM
Just to disagree with you (cause it is fun), I want Ponder.

But I reserve the right to change my mind.

Ponder is good he's my #1 Senior QB in the country.

BillsWin
08-05-2010, 04:56 PM
Have you checked to see who's running the 1st team at today's practice? Just wondering.

Is Brohm really running first team?

Yasgur's Farm
08-05-2010, 06:54 PM
LOL... I have no idea... I was just asking a question.

Goobylal
08-05-2010, 07:00 PM
Here would have been a better and more logical thread start...

Brohm needs to start because his name isn't Edwards or Fitzpatrick.

That's the only legitimate reason someone can come up with to start him because in reality he's just as bad if not worse than those two.
Basically. Edwards and Fitz have proven with multiple starts that they CAN'T do it. Brohm hasn't proven anything either way yet.

Hell it might be a good idea to just get the future started and start Levi.

justasportsfan
08-05-2010, 07:42 PM

And it's bad, bad Levi Brown
The baddest QB in the whole damned town
Badder than old King Kong
And meaner than a junkyard dog

Mr. Pink
08-05-2010, 07:46 PM
Basically. Edwards and Fitz have proven with multiple starts that they CAN'T do it. Brohm hasn't proven anything either way yet.

Actually Brohm in his short career has proven he can't get it done too.

People here are just blinded to his failures at this point.

YardRat
08-05-2010, 08:57 PM
Neither Brohm nor Fitz, or even Edwards for that matter, will be a third string QB. Two of them will make the team, and the odd-man out gets cut. For all intensive purposes, Brown has a lock on that position. Whether he fills it on the sideline or the practice squad remains to be seen.

Buffalogic
08-05-2010, 09:44 PM
Here let's make it easy...

CUT BROHM!!!

Fitz is a solid backup. We have no real starters, but we have a good backup. If Trent goes down and Brohm has to come in and play, he, as well as all of us, will forever be embarrassed.

You think the *****ing is bad now?? Let Brohm start and get ready for a city wide meltdown.

better days
08-05-2010, 10:21 PM

CUT BROHM!!!

Fitz is a solid backup. We have no real starters, but we have a good backup. If Trent goes down and Brohm has to come in and play, he, as well as all of us, will forever be embarrassed.

You think the *****ing is bad now?? Let Brohm start and get ready for a city wide meltdown.

You think there will be *****ing if Brohm starts? Let Trent start & play as he did last year............you will see *****ING.

Buffalogic
08-05-2010, 10:33 PM
You think there will be *****ing if Brohm starts? Let Trent start & play as he did last year............you will see *****ING.Thinking that Brohm will bring Better days to Buffalo is a pipe dream. You see what I did there?

Nighthawk
08-05-2010, 10:37 PM

CUT BROHM!!!

Can I ask you a serious question? What makes Fitz such a good backup??? The guys sucks moosecock whether he is the starter or the backup. Therefore, he is not a good backup.

Buffalogic
08-05-2010, 10:42 PM
Can I ask you a serious question? What makes Fitz such a good backup??? The guys sucks moosecock whether he is the starter or the backup. Therefore, he is not a good backup.Ummm yea, apparently then you think every #2 qb in the league sucks. That's fine. But they are necessary. And stepping in with that dysfunctional offensive system to have us win 6 games makes him backup worthy to me.

Brohm has done nothing but slide downwards after his junior year.

Mr. Pink
08-05-2010, 11:09 PM
Can I ask you a serious question? What makes Fitz such a good backup??? The guys sucks moosecock whether he is the starter or the backup. Therefore, he is not a good backup.

He's a smart guy who's competent, read competent not great, when he has to take some real snaps.

He's basically like Trent Dilfer or Ken Dorsey. A guy who is smart enough to see what's in front of him but lacks the tools to do everything you need on the field.

He'll always has a job somewhere holding a clipboard and can play a couple games here and there and manage an offense.

Goobylal
08-06-2010, 07:36 AM
Actually Brohm in his short career has proven he can't get it done too.

People here are just blinded to his failures at this point.
Um, no. One start gives no indication at all, and neither does what happened in Green Bay. With Trent it's more of the same: checkdowns when guys are open long, inability to read a 3-4, and injuries waiting to happen. Fitz is a backup at best who is mailing-it-in. Brown isn't ready, but probably is the best option for the long-run.

Dr. Lecter
08-06-2010, 07:57 AM
Um, no. One start gives no indication at all, and neither does what happened in Green Bay. With Trent it's more of the same: checkdowns when guys are open long, inability to read a 3-4, and injuries waiting to happen. Fitz is a backup at best who is mailing-it-in. Brown isn't ready, but probably is the best option for the long-run.

Actually what happened in Green Bay does give a pretty damn big indication.

Goobylal
08-06-2010, 08:06 AM
Actually what happened in Green Bay does give a pretty damn big indication.
It means nothing. Just like Brohm's impressive college career means nothing. The funny thing is, Trent hasn't proven to be a good QB in college OR the pros, and yet some people still want him as the QB of the team. I just don't get it.

Philagape
08-06-2010, 08:55 AM
It means nothing. Just like Brohm's impressive college career means nothing. The funny thing is, Trent hasn't proven to be a good QB in college OR the pros, and yet some people still want him as the QB of the team. I just don't get it.

Of all the players in the NFL who get cut, what percentage end up having any kind of meaningful career somewhere else?
I'd guess less than a tenth of a percent.
Is that just a coincidence? Or you think maybe there's some sort of correlation?
If so, then yeah, it does kind of mean something.

ddaryl
08-06-2010, 09:07 AM
I really can't beleive how much energy is being wasted on this debate.

We knew the score going into camp. We knew what toexpect and it is still be uselessly debated...

Whomever looks the best after camp and through the beginning of preseason will be the official starter... and unless a QB seperates himself from the pact Edwards will win by default...

we all knew this, or at least anyone with half a brain knew this. Brohm has done nothing and until he does show it consistently he is not going ot be named the starter.

I would love to see Brohm win the job... but he has to win it.

Goobylal
08-06-2010, 09:18 AM
Of all the players in the NFL who get cut, what percentage end up having any kind of meaningful career somewhere else?
I'd guess less than a tenth of a percent.
Is that just a coincidence? Or you think maybe there's some sort of correlation?
If so, then yeah, it does kind of mean something.
What's the percentage of college losers who also have losing records in the NFL suddenly getting it? Probably about the same.

Philagape
08-06-2010, 09:21 AM
What's the percentage of college losers who also have losing records in the NFL suddenly getting it? Probably about the same.

Trying to change the subject to someone else doesn't speak well of Brohm.
Nobody disagrees about Edwards. (even though his NFL career has not been as bad)

HHURRICANE
08-06-2010, 11:08 AM
Edwards is the starter. Brohm would have to be lights out to change that. Debate over.

Thief
08-06-2010, 11:23 AM
Edwards is the starter. Brohm would have to be lights out to change that. Debate over.Is the competition over too? I bet you'd like that wouldn't you?

Yasgur's Farm
08-06-2010, 12:17 PM
Edwards is the starter. Brohm would have to be lights out to change that. Debate over.Gee thanks... I was just sitting here waiting for somebody with your kinda clout to tell me that. I'm glad I don't need to debate this any further.

Albany,n.y.
08-07-2010, 07:12 PM

Of the 4 QBs the only one who has proven he can clear waivers is Brian Brohm. I seriously doubt Edwards or Fitzpatrick would sail through waivers like Brohm did.

better days
08-07-2010, 07:16 PM
Of the 4 QBs the only one who has proven he can clear waivers is Brian Brohm. I seriously doubt Edwards or Fitzpatrick would sail through waivers like Brohm did.

I think a team would need to be desperate (as the Bills were last year when they claimed Brohm) to claim Fitz & his contract.

Goobylal
08-07-2010, 07:52 PM
Just wait.

HHURRICANE
08-08-2010, 03:53 PM

If Fitz is called upon to manage a few games he is a perfect backup. There are very few backups in the league that are starters anywhere else.

Sadly had Edwards gone to a team like Aaron Rodgers did where he could have been groomed to start I believe that in his 3rd year he'd be in great shape.

I think the bottom line is that Brohm is odd man out.

jmb1099
08-08-2010, 04:30 PM
If Fitz is called upon to manage a few games he is a perfect backup. There are very few backups in the league that are starters anywhere else.

Sadly had Edwards gone to a team like Aaron Rodgers did where he could have been groomed to start I believe that in his 3rd year he'd be in great shape.

I am glad Edwards is starting to look better, if he can return to pre-hit form than our QB issue is moot.

jmb1099
08-08-2010, 04:31 PM

One more thought, if they keep Fitzpatrick they are just begging to lose games. He isn't even a very good game manager.

JCBills
08-08-2010, 08:54 PM
I am glad Edwards is starting to look better, if he can return to pre-hit form than our QB issue is moot.

Until he gets hurt again.

feldspar
08-09-2010, 02:43 AM
http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-3/Practice-Notes---Day-7/ebccdd1a-4beb-434e-ab5c-4ac810d1548f (http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-3/Practice-Notes---Day-7/ebccdd1a-4beb-434e-ab5c-4ac810d1548f) Here are 2 examples from last night of BB allowing his receivers to go get the ball. That's something we'll never see from TE... Yet we hear day after day how BB puts the ball up for his receivers... Or how he threads the needle for completions. AND HE'S DOING IT WITHOUT PATTING THE BALL!!! WATCH THE VIDEOS!

Maybe that's why Brohm has thrown 6 interceptions and 0 TDs in his NFL career so far, if you include the preseason. Also, practice is not a real game. All this over-reaction about what Chris Brown reports from camp makes me laugh.

All this hope in Brohm is just blind hope. I have some of that myself, but I realize that it's a blind hope.

You can look at the highlight reel from camp and see Edwards completing long bombs and then conclude that he has changed, but I don't really believe that either. Could be true, but you don't know until it's a real game.

better days
08-09-2010, 10:11 AM
Maybe that's why Brohm has thrown 6 interceptions and 0 TDs in his NFL career so far, if you include the preseason. Also, practice is not a real game. All this over-reaction about what Chris Brown reports from camp makes me laugh.

All this hope in Brohm is just blind hope. I have some of that myself, but I realize that it's a blind hope.

You can look at the highlight reel from camp and see Edwards completing long bombs and then conclude that he has changed, but I don't really believe that either. Could be true, but you don't know until it's a real game.

Yeah, it could be true Trent has changed & it could also be true Brohm plays much better in Chans offense than others he has been in in the NFL. Let the games begin.

Demon
08-10-2010, 01:45 AM

I've been at camp several times, and well, you can just tell by the way they throw that Edwards is in a higher class then Brohm. I was and still am a very pro-Brohm guy, i hope he can get it together but the kid is raw, Chan Gailey must see it. The question isn't anymore if Brohm should be starting instead of Edwards, but, if Brohm will be on this team come September?

JCBills
08-10-2010, 06:05 AM
I've been at camp several times, and well, you can just tell by the way they throw that Edwards is in a higher class then Brohm. I was and still am a very pro-Brohm guy, i hope he can get it together but the kid is raw, Chan Gailey must see it. The question isn't anymore if Brohm should be starting instead of Edwards, but, if Brohm will be on this team come September?

I'm all for either, but Trent looks like he's waiting until his WRs are open again....taking way too long to make the read/throw. If all it took to be a good QB was throwing mechanics, well Trent would be up there.

The King
08-10-2010, 09:02 AM
I've been at camp several times, and well, you can just tell by the way they throw that Edwards is in a higher class then Brohm. I was and still am a very pro-Brohm guy, i hope he can get it together but the kid is raw, Chan Gailey must see it. The question isn't anymore if Brohm should be starting instead of Edwards, but, if Brohm will be on this team come September? I think at this point it's Browns spot.

HHURRICANE
08-10-2010, 09:49 AM

To your point everything coming out of camp is that Edwards is in a different league than Brohm. He should be. He's a vet and he is the most gifted physically.

I really don't think Levi Brown is getting claimed off of the practice squad so I think that is where he ends up. However, if Brohm sucks in pre-season...again...I think Gailey will cut his loses and move on.

All of these people that just think if Edwards sucks we'll just easily go out and draft our franchise QB next year aren't being realistic. This team is not going to cough up 50 million guraranteed for a top 5 pick. Just not going to happen with Ralph as the owner.

Most likely we'll pick up some other cast away like Marc Bulger and bring him in.

Dr. Lecter
08-10-2010, 10:47 AM
To your point everything coming out of camp is that Edwards is in a different league than Brohm. He should be. He's a vet and he is the most gifted physically.

I really don't think Levi Brown is getting claimed off of the practice squad so I think that is where he ends up. However, if Brohm sucks in pre-season...again...I think Gailey will cut his loses and move on.

All of these people that just think if Edwards sucks we'll just easily go out and draft our franchise QB next year aren't being realistic. This team is not going to cough up 50 million guraranteed for a top 5 pick. Just not going to happen with Ralph as the owner.

Most likely we'll pick up some other cast away like Marc Bulger and bring him in.

A few points:

1. Ralph does pay for players. That is a fact. He might pay for the wrong ones, but he does pay guys.

2. Next year's #1 overall pick will not get that kind of money. There will be a rookie cap in place. So the point is moot regardless.

3. The problem with Brown on the PS is that 4 QBs means he will get little or no practice time. So if they want to bring him along, he needs to be #3 on the main roster (or they need to only keep 2 QBs). 4 QBs with the team is too many.

I think there is a very good chance that either Fitz or Brohm get cut.

DraftBoy
08-10-2010, 11:02 AM
A few points:

1. Ralph does pay for players. That is a fact. He might pay for the wrong ones, but he does pay guys.

2. Next year's #1 overall pick will not get that kind of money. There will be a rookie cap in place. So the point is moot regardless.

3. The problem with Brown on the PS is that 4 QBs means he will get little or no practice time. So if they want to bring him along, he needs to be #3 on the main roster (or they need to only keep 2 QBs). 4 QBs with the team is too many.

2. If there is a lockout that goes a full season there will not be a rookie cap in palce and even if they strike a deal its not going to be an NBA like rookie cap where everybody is slotted for low money its going to be a gradual change. 2012 ans 2013 rookies are where you are going to see big differences, not with 2011 imo.

HHURRICANE
08-10-2010, 11:34 AM
A few points:

Thanks for your thoughts.

1) Ralph is definately running the team, as of late, with alot of frugality. We could have kept Dockery and Walker last year but we made a financial decision that hurt the way the team played on the field. That's a fact. As time runs ot for Ralph it is more and more likelythat this will continue.

2) The NFL owners could just as easily capitulate on this issue. And to Draftboys point it might be worked in over time.

3) Brown is very, very, raw. Last year, Brohm got a start as the #3 guy so we need 3 QBs and Brown is not ready to start in the NFL. This is why he is a late round pick.

Dr. Lecter
08-10-2010, 11:51 AM
Thanks for your thoughts.

1) Ralph is definately running the team, as of late, with alot of frugality. We could have kept Dockery and Walker last year but we made a financial decision that hurt the way the team played on the field. That's a fact. As time runs ot for Ralph it is more and more likelythat this will continue.

2) The NFL owners could just as easily capitulate on this issue. And to Draftboys point it might be worked in over time.

3) Brown is very, very, raw. Last year, Brohm got a start as the #3 guy so we need 3 QBs and Brown is not ready to start in the NFL. This is why he is a late round pick.

1. The Bills were 12th last year in salary. http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showthread.php?t=193486&highlight=12th

2.I doubt they give in and it might be partially worked in. But there will be something next year. This is the owner's #1 goal and the players will be willing to give this up, as long as the money is moved from the rookies to the vets.

3. I agree he is raw. But what other choice is there? It is not like Fitz or Brohm are going to be scooped up. And if they are, there will be a vet to sign. Brohm started after being signed mid-season.

Bill Cody
08-10-2010, 11:56 AM
If Fitz is called upon to manage a few games he is a perfect backup.

If by "manage" you mean "manage to lose" then I agree.

better days
08-10-2010, 12:18 PM
2. If there is a lockout that goes a full season there will not be a rookie cap in palce and even if they strike a deal its not going to be an NBA like rookie cap where everybody is slotted for low money its going to be a gradual change. 2012 ans 2013 rookies are where you are going to see big differences, not with 2011 imo.

If there is a lockout why would there not be a rookie cap in place in 2011?

Demon
08-10-2010, 12:37 PM

I agree. I didn't word it correctly i guess. What i meant to really say is what you wrote few posts above, Brohm had to be super great to move up the depth chart. I was one of those people hoping for a miracle, i have no problem admitting i was wrong, because 2 months ago i was hoping Brohm would be our starter. Thats why i sit on line with and type... lol.... but he hasn't been super great at camp and on top of that, he looks nothing like Trent. Edwards looks like a star compared to him.

That's always been my worry about tanking and having a top 5 pick, especially at QB. But, the rookie contracts are a joke in the NFL.It's not really "Ralph being cheap" but it's more of it being a flawed system. However, after this season, i really think they will workout a rookie salary cap that will make it easy to sign picks and we don't have all of these holdouts anymore.

Albany,n.y.
08-11-2010, 05:57 AM
One more thought, if they keep Fitzpatrick they are just begging to lose games. He isn't even a very good game manager.
If that's true, how do you explain the Bills winning 5 games when Fitzpatrick played the majority of the game & winning only one game when he didn't last season? How much better a manager could he have been last year? He did everything asked of a 2nd string QB elevated to the #1 position-he won!

Dr. Lecter
08-11-2010, 06:17 AM
If by "manage" you mean "manage to lose" then I agree.
I don't think he is a great QB, but he was 5-4 as a starter last year. W-L for a QB can misleading, but Fitz does not lose a team games.

Philagape
08-11-2010, 08:32 AM
If that's true, how do you explain the Bills winning 5 games when Fitzpatrick played the majority of the game & winning only one game when he didn't last season? How much better a manager could he have been last year? He did everything asked of a 2nd string QB elevated to the #1 position-he won!

This is a point I made a few weeks ago. The team did better with him in there last year.
If the pecking order had been determined off of what has happened in actual games, Fitz would be No. 1.