PDA

View Full Version : In the End, It is Chris Ellis

ghz in pittsburgh
08-05-2010, 09:19 PM
When I saw Gailey's interview after today's practice on Ellis that "he can start right now if there is a real game," I was very surprised. That's some strong words that he does not throw around often.

Remember when Schobel was released, all the cameras were in Maybin's face because he's supposed to be the "chosen one." We know now who really is going to replace Schobel.

At this point, I see the OLBs are Kelsay, Ellis, Maybin, Tobor/Moats. You gotta believe that Nix/Gailey hold onto to Schobel upto yesterday because 1) Schobel retiring is obviously the best option (no cap hit at all) and 2) they are waiting to see if anyone is actually stepping up. When they saw a capable replacement Ellis step forward, they quickly announced that Schobel is "done with the Bills." And I believe money is a big issue, too.

Finally a word on Maybin. Drafting him was a mistake because we probably could use that pick for more urgent needs instead of developing a guy who many said is going to take a couple of years at least. But you cannot deny his obvious unteachable talent and from all indications, a willing worker. People are starting to see mixed plays from him, some good, some bad. That is a step in the right direction compared to a year ago. Perhaps next year we can see more good plays and less bad plays from him.

YardRat
08-06-2010, 05:31 AM
I think the Schobel announcement had more to do with his allegedly getting ready to return than anything Ellis has shown. It is good to hear positive comments from Gailey about the kid, though.

JCBills
08-06-2010, 06:00 AM
Moats is getting time at OLB?

Thought they work working him on the inside.

methos4ever
08-06-2010, 06:26 AM
Moats is getting time at OLB?

Thought they work working him on the inside.
He's originally a DE that did a small amount of outside work. They moved him inside because of his height. Now with so many guys out, he has a chance to prove he can do it at either position right now...which is great.

don137
08-06-2010, 06:34 AM
When Ellis was drafted he was considered a project player with great upside. Well after a couple of seasons under his belt its time to get off the porch and step up and contribute.

If this team is going to turn it around project players like Ellis, Maybin, Bell, etc need to step up.

billsfanryan
08-06-2010, 07:02 AM
could you imagine how much happier we would all be if we had oher instead of maybin? We would still be fairly deep at OLB but our oline would be

oher - levitre - hangman - wood - bell/merideth/cornell green

that would be something wouldn't it?

dasaybz
08-06-2010, 07:35 AM
There's no way they would have drafted 2 OLinemen in the first round.

Goobylal
08-06-2010, 07:39 AM
There were many concerns with Oher, hence the reason he fell to the 23rd overall pick. That's usually where a team selects a RT or project LT. And Oher's performances against good teams last year when he was put at LT left a lot to be desired. It will be interesting to see how he fares this year at LT, and Gaither's weight loss makes him a question mark at the other spot.

It's a shame for the Bills that Butler got injured and then retired. He looked good at RT.

BillsWin
08-06-2010, 07:52 AM
Ellis has been playing in Kelsay's spot not Maybin's. Torbor has been playing in place of Maybin on run downs. But in passing downs, it's all Maybin.

So, if you think Ellis is going to start then he is going to do it next to Torbor with Maybin coming in on passing downs. At least until he gets stouter against the run.

Maybin is young, and actually from every report I've heard out of camp he is much, much improved over last season and is incredibly quick. I've also heard he's not just speed rushing anymore, he's been countering and adjusting to how his o-lineman is blocking.

I wouldn't write him off this season and say better luck next year, I think he'll contribute this season.

ghz in pittsburgh
08-06-2010, 08:19 AM
Ellis has been playing in Kelsay's spot not Maybin's. Torbor has been playing in place of Maybin on run downs. But in passing downs, it's all Maybin.

So, if you think Ellis is going to start then he is going to do it next to Torbor with Maybin coming in on passing downs. At least until he gets stouter against the run.

I know Ellis is on Kelsay side. I'm really starting to believe that Ellis will be ahead of Kelsay now.

The one thing I know is that Kelsay cannot cover nor shed blockers. He's stout at the point of attack. If Ellis can be stout on run plays, then he should start ahead of Kelsay.

I believe the organization is waiting on Maybin to replace Schobel. But if someone like Ellis emerges as a legit starter, then they have a lot more options. Schobel is a speed rusher and all effort guy. But he's right that he does a lot more than just pass rush. In my mind, he's probably one of the best D-Line we have in recognizing screens/draws and making adjustment to it on the fly. Something tells me Maybin will really struggle in this area.

DesertFox24
08-06-2010, 08:25 AM
Personally I think Maybin is going to get it and will start on the weak side.

I am not sure on Ellis over Kelsay at this point, but this bring up an interesting question.

If Ellis beats out Kelsay and he will get his shot these preseason games probably at least this next one, do we cut Kelsay or keep him. I know he is a vet and is experienced so that is a good think and he is not that expensive.

I know all of you will more than likely say cut him, but I am not sure this team would do that. They seem to value vets more than Dick.

Danny Duberstein
08-06-2010, 08:29 AM
Just imagine how good Ellis could've been if, you know, the old staff actually let him play.

psubills62
08-06-2010, 08:30 AM
Batten should be included in the OLB's. I know he's injured, but I still expect him to make the roster.

I do like what I've been hearing about Ellis. It seems like he is doing very well as a 3-4 OLB, which is good to hear because of the inexperience at that position.

As far as Maybin goes, I still have no idea why Jauron picked him. It was a dumb pick at the time that may happen to work out with the scheme change. As a PSU fan, I've heard nothing but good things about his work ethic. If Maybin fails in the NFL, it won't be because he didn't work hard enough. The kid knows he flopped last year and really wants to be a great OLB. Now things just have to "click" for him. Here's hoping they do.

Danny Duberstein
08-06-2010, 08:31 AM
A few days from now BSD.com will "break" the story.

psubills62
08-06-2010, 08:32 AM
Personally I think Maybin is going to get it and will start on the weak side.

I am not sure on Ellis over Kelsay at this point, but this bring up an interesting question.

If Ellis beats out Kelsay and he will get his shot these preseason games probably at least this next one, do we cut Kelsay or keep him. I know he is a vet and is experienced so that is a good think and he is not that expensive.

I know all of you will more than likely say cut him, but I am not sure this team would do that. They seem to value vets more than Dick.

Honestly, the decision about Kelsay for me would come down to two things: 1) how healthy is Batten? and 2) do they need the roster spot elsewhere?

Cutting Kelsay would, I believe, leave us with 4 legitimate OLB's, which is probably too few. I'm not sure how many OLB's 3-4 teams usually carry, but I'd guess it's at least 5. Though Moats could play there in a pinch most likely, but I don't think any of us want to see it come down to that.

T-Long
08-06-2010, 08:33 AM
I think Jauron pushed for Maybin because the lack of pass rush was so bad. Granted, looking back, Cushing and Orakpo would have been better choices, but the Bills were horrible at getting after the QB, so I can understand why they went that way.

But, the excuses are gone for Maybin now. Even though it's only his 2nd season, as a first round pick, the time is now for him to shine.

I think come September, we are looking at LB core that looks like this.

OLB: Ellis (Maybin on passing downs)
MLB: Posz
MLB: Davis
OLB: Torbor

madness
08-06-2010, 08:43 AM
In the end it doesn't matter because we don't have the right players to switch to a 3-4. :snicker:

psubills62
08-06-2010, 08:54 AM
I think Jauron pushed for Maybin because the lack of pass rush was so bad. Granted, looking back, Cushing and Orakpo would have been better choices, but the Bills were horrible at getting after the QB, so I can understand why they went that way.

But, the excuses are gone for Maybin now. Even though it's only his 2nd season, as a first round pick, the time is now for him to shine.

I think come September, we are looking at LB core that looks like this.

OLB: Ellis (Maybin on passing downs)
MLB: Posz
MLB: Davis
OLB: Torbor

The problem is that everyone could see that Maybin needed a lot of time to develop. Maybin wasn't going to help until 2-3 years down the road, and our pass rush needed help now. Besides, he wasn't even close to being a fit in the Tampa 2.

I agree with the LB corps, except Maybin will replace Torbor on passing downs, not Ellis.

Raptor
08-06-2010, 09:04 AM
Just imagine how good Ellis could've been if, you know, the old staff actually let him play.

Apparently you're not a real fan because racking up a few meaningless wins with the vets to build a culture of winning was far more important than giving these younger players reps in a season that was over by week 8

and what a shock it takes time for former college DL to develop? Thats ground breaking news. Lets go back and look at all the C.Ellis is a bust post 4 weeks into his rookie year. I mean Maybin is clearly a bust at the ripe age of 22(he is younger then every single one of our draft picks btw) and one year in