PDA

View Full Version : Mount Puckmore: The four faces of the Buffalo Sabres

SabreEleven
08-06-2010, 10:24 PM
It's pretty damn cold in Buffalo. Ice is a natural amenity covering 1/3 of the calendar, and despite all the change the rust belt hub has endured, hard-working Buffalonians have rallied around a frozen downtown sheet for the past 40 years to cheer on their beloved hockey team. With each blustery winter, hope springs eternal that the Sabres will someday skate the Stanley Cup.
The franchise has seen its share of great names come and go since their inaugural puck drop in 1970, yet rounding out the Sabres Mount Puckmore was somewhat challenging. With no championship moments to celebrate and a decision to not consider coaches or executives, the issued boiled down to who are the four iconic players who embodied everything the franchise wants to be known for?

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puck_daddy/post/Mount-Puckmore-The-four-faces-of-the-Buffalo-Sa;_ylt=AhS31uFw72m_B6aC7Llhc8V7vLYF?urn=nhl-260448

I'm not sure I would put Ray on this but it's pretty sad for an organization to put a guy up there who only scored 38 goals his whole career.

Dr. Lecter
08-07-2010, 05:18 AM
I would put RJ, Darling, the Knoxes, Schoenfeld or Gare up there instead.

YardRat
08-07-2010, 05:57 AM
The kid that wrote the article most likely never saw Schony or Gare play.

Ground Chuck
08-07-2010, 08:24 AM
I think Ruff or Tim Horton

Nighthawk
08-07-2010, 08:51 AM
I'd put up Darcy...just because he would represent the mediocrity that this organization shoots for!

G Wolly
08-07-2010, 01:17 PM
Knoxes, RJ, and Perreault would be my choice.

Ingtar33
08-07-2010, 10:32 PM
Perreault - best and first sabre
Hasek - top 3 greatest goalie ever
Ruff - captain, role player, great coach - he's been representing the sabres for 4 decades now, since 1979... stretching through most of the history of the team.
S. Knox - i had to pick a brother, this one lived longer.

don137
08-08-2010, 05:29 AM
Ruff - captain, role player, great coach - he's been representing the sabres for 4 decades now, since 1979... stretching through most of the history of the team.

Those would be my four as well.

TheGhostofJimKelly
08-08-2010, 06:10 AM
What about Mount F***more:

Gallisano, Regis, Regier, and Ruff

JD
08-08-2010, 12:40 PM
What about Mount F***more:

Gallisano, Regis, Regier, and Ruff
Why ruff and not Quinn?

TheGhostofJimKelly
08-08-2010, 01:08 PM
Why ruff and not Quinn?

Yeah, him too.

TheGhostofJimKelly
08-08-2010, 01:45 PM
Actually, once again, I was typing faster than I was thinking, I meant Quinn. Ruff shouldn't be listed.

chubluv
08-10-2010, 11:14 PM
Take off Ray and put up Schony or Korab.

chernobylwraiths
08-11-2010, 06:48 AM
It would be tough for me. There are guys that played their whole career here or close to it that deserve more recognition than some guys mentioned here. If a defenseman should be addressed, then I would think of Bill Hajt or Mike Ramsey. I would say the Perreault is the only given and Hasek almost definitely. Seymour Knox would also be a good choice. Lafontaine, although great, only played a few years here. Ray, while a fan favorite and great community guy wasn't even that great of a fighter.

My four would be: Perreault, Hasek, Seymour Knox, and Mike Ramsey.

If the Sabres can win a Cup in the next few years, maybe then we can forget about Hasek and Ramsey and put Miller and Myers on there.

Dr. Lecter
08-11-2010, 07:19 AM
It would be tough for me. There are guys that played their whole career here or close to it that deserve more recognition than some guys mentioned here. If a defenseman should be addressed, then I would think of Bill Hajt or Mike Ramsey. I would say the Perreault is the only given and Hasek almost definitely. Seymour Knox would also be a good choice. Lafontaine, although great, only played a few years here. Ray, while a fan favorite and great community guy wasn't even that great of a fighter.

My four would be: Perreault, Hasek, Seymour Knox, and Mike Ramsey.

If the Sabres can win a Cup in the next few years, maybe then we can forget about Hasek and Ramsey and put Miller and Myers on there.

LaFontaine was here for seven years, same as Hasek.

Dozerdog
08-11-2010, 08:44 AM

Great list- I might put Punch Imlach on instead of Knox.

Dozerdog
08-11-2010, 08:46 AM

I thought about Pat, but of those 7 years he missed sizeable chunks due to injury.

The King
08-11-2010, 08:50 AM
This a cool idea, I can't wait to see the B's one.

My Guess would be Bourque, Neely, Esposito and Orr.

chernobylwraiths
08-11-2010, 09:06 AM

Hasek 9 years
Lafontaine 6 years (3 of them were 22 games or less)

Mr. Pink
08-12-2010, 03:01 AM
Hasek
Perreault
Martin
M. Ramsey

Or substitute out Ramsey for Jeanerette if you think an announcer needs some just due.

Or if you want to put up a Coach go with Scotty Bowman.