PDA

View Full Version : Encouraging news on Edwards?

BillsWin
08-07-2010, 03:16 PM
http://www.wgr550.com/Bills--Offense-Opens-Up/7862336

It started off just as any other Bills practice. A throw to the fullback here, a little five yard out there. Pretty much, the beginning of the practice showcased exactly what fans have come to know about Edwards.

But after one single play it looked like a light went on, even if it was for only one practice.

Edwards got some time in the pocket in an 11-on-11 drill, heaved the football downfield, and found a wide open Lee Evans with a perfect pass for a 66-yard touchdown.

After that, Edwards looked like a new quarterback.

The next snaps he took were in the two-minute drill to wrap up practice. It should actually be called the one minute and ten second drill, because that's how much time the Bills allotted, but alas, a two-minute drill it was.

Edwards and the first unit started off from their own 35-yard line, and here's how the series of plays went:

Play 1) Edwards hits Lee Evans on a 20-yard strike. First down.

Play 2) Edwards gets it to Felton Huggins on a 9-yard button hook route over the middle of the field. 2nd and 1.

Play 3) Edwards throws it slightly behind Stevie Johnson, and Johnson drops it on a slant-in route. It was catchable. 3rd and 1.

Play 4) Fred Jackson draw up the middle for a two-yard gain. First down.

Play 5) Edwards to Stevie Johnson on a redeemer catch for a 15-yard gain. First down.

Play 6) Edwards to Donald Jones over the middle for a 17-yard gain. First down. 9 seconds to go.

Play 7) Edwards takes a shot to the end zone from the 10-yard line to Huggins, but the ball was just a tad out of reach. 2nd and goal, 2 seconds to go.

Play 8) False start on the offense. Back it up five yards to the 15-yard line.

Play 9) Edwards in a last ditch play tries to let his receiver make a play in the corner of the end zone with many players back in coverage all over the place, but it was picked off by Donte Whitner.

Now, remember, I prefaced the series not with a record-setting performance, but a rather encouraging one.

Edwards seemed to let go after his 66-yard pass to Evans in the previous drill and relax. He looked like a quarterback. Even though he was picked off in the final second, at least he took the chance at the end zone. That's the real win in this scenario.

And from today:

Trent another deep bomb to Evans right on the money. He's looking better. Evans beat Florence 1 on 1

http://twitter.com/JoeB_WGR

I'll believe it when I see it on the field in a real game, but this was what I thought is holding Trent back. He doesn't go for the win. He has no confidence in his receivers or himself. I hope Chan got in to him a bit because I think I speak for all of us when I say Captain Checkdown was getting hard to watch.

buffalobillsfan95
08-07-2010, 03:29 PM
He can't through the ball downfield.... if he does we will have to think of a new nickname :(

BillsWin
08-07-2010, 03:32 PM
He can't through the ball downfield.... if he does we will have to think of a new nickname :(

Captain Canthrowlong?

buffalobillsfan95
08-07-2010, 03:34 PM
Captain Canthrowlong?
haha no probaly something making fun of his hair :D

THRILLHO
08-07-2010, 03:34 PM
I vote Captain Awesome. But first he's gotta earn it....

sdbillsfan2
08-07-2010, 03:38 PM
I'll reserve judgment on Trent until the time he's playing against someone other then teammates. At this point he knows he isn't wearing a bulls eye on his chest. When he plays another team who want to take his head off , we'll see how much he's progressed.
unfortunately for us, those other teams know he's earned the nickname for a reason and will throw everything at him. . . Shut him down and stuff the rush and we're looking at last year all over again .
I do think Chan is smart enough to see all this and will adjust. At this point I trust Chan and staff more then our Qbs. either way ...we're still better just because we don't have Dick Jauron digging the hole deeper.

TigerJ
08-07-2010, 03:50 PM
To borrow a malaprop from Yogi Bera, ninety percent of the game is half mental for a QB. Trent has always had the physical tools. The question has always been, can he keep his head screwed on right. Unfortunately, for most of his career to this point, the answer has been, NO!

bigfish2112
08-07-2010, 04:15 PM
http://www.wgr550.com/Bills--Offense-Opens-Up/7862336

And from today:

http://twitter.com/JoeB_WGR

I'll believe it when I see it on the field in a real game, but this was what I thought is holding Trent back. He doesn't go for the win. He has no confidence in his receivers or himself. I hope Chan got in to him a bit because I think I speak for all of us when I say Captain Checkdown was getting hard to watch.

I still dont have that much faith in him yet but this really is a good sign. I think with him playing against a 3-4 defense will help him because he could not read that defense at all . Maybe this will continue in the future we will see soon.

ServoBillieves
08-07-2010, 04:20 PM
Captain Bombface.

He can either throw the bomb or drop a bomb on the field with his play.

I've been drinking.

Anywho, It is encouraging that Trent isn't immediately checking down and leading with his eyes. If Donte read his eyes, good for him, but with apparently a myriad of defenders back someone must've been bound to pick it off.

HHURRICANE
08-07-2010, 04:34 PM
Captain Catapult

Night Train
08-07-2010, 04:42 PM
I like optimism as much as anyone but if training camp was a measuring stick for QB greatness, RJ, Bledsoe & Losman would be enshrined in Canton. I've seen this before.

If he can just find Spiller on some quick outs in the flat and hit the short to medium slants and comebacks to the WR, TE, I'll be happy. That could set up 2-3 shots downfield to Evans, who needs to have lots of separation since Trentative tends to short those balls 5 yards.

He is what he is but if he's coached properly to his strengths and quits holding onto the ball too long, he could minimize his negatives and score more than expected. It's all up to Gailey to call the right game, after learning his QB.

Canadian'eh!
08-07-2010, 06:44 PM
I like optimism as much as anyone but if training camp was a measuring stick for QB greatness, RJ, Bledsoe & Losman would be enshrined in Canton. I've seen this before.

If he can just find Spiller on some quick outs in the flat and hit the short to medium slants and comebacks to the WR, TE, I'll be happy. That could set up 2-3 shots downfield to Evans, who needs to have lots of separation since Trentative tends to short those balls 5 yards.

He is what he is but if he's coached properly to his strengths and quits holding onto the ball too long, he could minimize his negatives and score more than expected. It's all up to Gailey to call the right game, after learning his QB.

Bledsoe actually might end up in Canton anyway someday. He put up some big numbers fin the first half of his career.

PromoTheRobot
08-07-2010, 06:55 PM
When our defense looks good it's because they are playing our offense. When our offense looks good it's because they are playing our defense.

PTR

ServoBillieves
08-07-2010, 07:19 PM
When our defense looks good it's because they are playing our offense. When our offense looks good it's because they are playing our defense.

PTR

Training Camp.

BillsWin
08-07-2010, 07:39 PM
Spiller scored a TD today :jig:

Goobylal
08-07-2010, 07:50 PM
Oh, so THIS year he's going to let his receivers make plays? How many times were Evans and/or TO open last year, and he checked-down? Sorry but the guy looks like Tarzan in practice and plays like Jane in real games. And notice in that series mentioned above, he threw a pick to end it. SO, SO.

chubluv
08-08-2010, 12:23 AM
I was at practice fri, and during 7 on7 drills Edwards was checking down 4 out of 5 plays. By the way the bomb that he threw to Evans was only a completion because Lee went and got it. The ball had no air under it and was a bullett right down the hash marks. I didnt like the way any of our QB's looked in any of the practices I've beento so far.
I know its early still, but damn this is getting scary.

FlyingDutchman
08-08-2010, 12:58 AM
since we're not going to seriously contend anyways, Is it wrong of me that I have a little piece of me that hopes we REALLY tank it so we can get Jake Locker next year? Never wanted this to happen before but we have SOOO FAR to go to be good again and im sick of drafting just on the outside of the elite talent (even though I love CJ)

Buddo
08-08-2010, 06:38 AM
Oh, so THIS year he's going to let his receivers make plays? How many times were Evans and/or TO open last year, and he checked-down? Sorry but the guy looks like Tarzan in practice and plays like Jane in real games. And notice in that series mentioned above, he threw a pick to end it. SO, SO.

As it's a '2 minute drill' with no time left, a pick is hardly that relevant. While it would be preferable that there was a TD at the end, it hardly matters in the circumstances.

Should any of the QBs put together that sort of series of plays regularly, that would indicate progress, and it's something we need to see and hear about.

better days
08-08-2010, 06:53 AM
since we're not going to seriously contend anyways, Is it wrong of me that I have a little piece of me that hopes we REALLY tank it so we can get Jake Locker next year? Never wanted this to happen before but we have SOOO FAR to go to be good again and im sick of drafting just on the outside of the elite talent (even though I love CJ)

Yes that would be wrong of you, hope for Luck or Ponder instead.

HHURRICANE
08-08-2010, 08:43 AM

Again,

Edwards had his starting line dismantled, not once, but twice, and than had injuries on that same line. He had two OCs in the same camp and had a week with the second one.

Let's see what we get this season with a real OC.

Tbuffalobills
08-08-2010, 11:25 AM
Wait till gameday- check down..sack..int

FlyingDutchman
08-08-2010, 11:45 AM
Yes that would be wrong of you, hope for Luck or Ponder instead.

Locker would have been number 1 overall this year had he came out. Hes waaaay better than those 2

better days
08-08-2010, 12:06 PM
Locker would have been number 1 overall this year had he came out. Hes waaaay better than those 2

Well, so far he has been a loser in College. It will be interesting to see which QB has the better year & seperates himself.

mikemac2001
08-08-2010, 12:24 PM
Wait till gameday- check down..sack..int

check down to CJ might not be bad

FlyingDutchman
08-08-2010, 12:44 PM
Well, so far he has been a loser in College. It will be interesting to see which QB has the better year & seperates himself.

loser record wise bc he plays for Washington. His skills are amazing and a record doesnt alway reflect skill...just like how Tim Tebow is not good and he won the National Championship

better days
08-08-2010, 12:48 PM
loser record wise bc he plays for Washington. His skills are amazing and a record doesnt alway reflect skill...just like how Tim Tebow is not good and he won the National Championship

Tebow was a GREAT College QB. We will see in time if he can become a great NFL QB.

Locker has physical skills like JP Losman but so far has not proven to have the brain to play in the NFL just like Losman.

FlyingDutchman
08-08-2010, 01:46 PM
Tebow was a GREAT College QB. We will see in time if he can become a great NFL QB.

Locker has physical skills like JP Losman but so far has not proven to have the brain to play in the NFL just like Losman.

Have you watched Locker play once? The fact that youre comparing Jake Locker and his status predraft with the likes of JP Losman tells me no

better days
08-08-2010, 03:10 PM
Have you watched Locker play once? The fact that youre comparing Jake Locker and his status predraft with the likes of JP Losman tells me no

No I have not watched Locker play, but I know his record & have heard John Clayton who lives in Seattle talk about him. He was totally against him coming out in the last draft because he thought he needed to learn the game better. I basicly posted what I heard Clayton say about him.

Clayton said yesterday while at the Seahawks camp that he would not be surprised if Losman won the back up job. That is in spite of all Seattle gave up for Whitehurst.

Living in N.C. how much have you seen Locker play?

Thief
08-08-2010, 03:25 PM
Locker would have been number 1 overall this year had he came out. Hes waaaay better than those 2Doubt it and doubt it. :2cents:

Goobylal
08-08-2010, 05:08 PM
check down to CJ might not be bad
Yeah, I'm thinking bubble screens to Spiller will be the most favored play of the Bills this year.

FlyingDutchman
08-08-2010, 05:38 PM
No I have not watched Locker play, but I know his record & have heard John Clayton who lives in Seattle talk about him. He was totally against him coming out in the last draft because he thought he needed to learn the game better. I basicly posted what I heard Clayton say about him.

Clayton said yesterday while at the Seahawks camp that he would not be surprised if Losman won the back up job. That is in spite of all Seattle gave up for Whitehurst.

Living in N.C. how much have you seen Locker play?

then who are you to state an opinion? your opinion is based off john frikin clayton? lol. Listen to any real college football analyst and theyll tell you there was a great chance of him being taken over Bradford. Kiper even just said so when he was talking about top prospects for next year (not that im in love with kiper).

Living in NC i watched just about every game of his for the last two years (with the obvious occasional miss). Its called having the college package and a degenerate gambling problem (I do good for myself), i love the west coast games....

Jake Locker as been slotted as a possible number 1 overall pick for years now...JP Losman was like the 5 QB taken and youre trying to compare? He was also from a loser school should that be taken into the equation?...I hate when people form their opinion of moron ESPN reporters

FlyingDutchman
08-08-2010, 05:53 PM
Here...since listening to you today, and in the past talk about how Tebow should have been a top 10 pick its safe to say you have trouble evaluating talent (no offense but lets call it a spade)...I dont claim to be some guru myself but I know my stuff....Heres highlights from just one season...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FU0JZhRHzMI

First just watch his raw athletic ability which cannot be taught...Watch his ability to have presence in the pocket. He feels pressure while keeping his eyes downfield at all time. He can scramble as good as any NFL QB. He has a great play fake. Hes able to throw into tight windows. He brings the ball up nice and high, has good mechanics and a quick release. He has a strong arm. He has an accurate arm. Hes AWESOME at throwing on the run, which in case you havent noticed would come in handy in buffalo. He makes smart decisions and will tuck and run when he has the chance...I can go on but just watch this and watch this season so you can form your own opinion

better days
08-08-2010, 06:43 PM
then who are you to state an opinion? your opinion is based off john frikin clayton? lol. Listen to any real college football analyst and theyll tell you there was a great chance of him being taken over Bradford. Kiper even just said so when he was talking about top prospects for next year (not that im in love with kiper).

Living in NC i watched just about every game of his for the last two years (with the obvious occasional miss). Its called having the college package and a degenerate gambling problem (I do good for myself), i love the west coast games....

Jake Locker as been slotted as a possible number 1 overall pick for years now...JP Losman was like the 5 QB taken and youre trying to compare? He was also from a loser school should that be taken into the equation?...I hate when people form their opinion of moron ESPN reporters

No, you form your opinions on what the Loser Kiper says. That is the reason you don't think Tebow is a good QB. You just have to look at the records he set in College & the awards he has won to know he was a GREAT College QB. Even the almighty Kiper admits that fact.

I said it will be interesting to see which QB plays the best this year. I compared Locker to Losman because they are both gifted physically.

I will take Claytons word over yours (no offense). He thought Locker needed another year in school to develop.

All things being equal I would much prefer the Bills draft a QB from a GOOD School than a loser school because winning develops confidence in a player. Maybe that is part of Trents problem, he went to a loser school & has no confidence.

I look forward to watching all the top QB prospects this year but don't have the package. My priority is watching the Gators & the rest of the SEC, but this year I will forgo an SEC game to watch a game with a top QB prospect in it.

FlyingDutchman
08-08-2010, 07:03 PM
No, you form your opinions on what the Loser Kiper says. That is the reason you don't think Tebow is a good QB. You just have to look at the records he set in College & the awards he has won to know he was a GREAT College QB. Even the almighty Kiper admits that fact.

I said it will be interesting to see which QB plays the best this year. I compared Locker to Losman because they are both gifted physically.

I will take Claytons word over yours (no offense). He thought Locker needed another year in school to develop.

All things being equal I would much prefer the Bills draft a QB from a GOOD School than a loser school because winning develops confidence in a player. Maybe that is part of Trents problem, he went to a loser school & has no confidence.

I look forward to watching all the top QB prospects this year but don't have the package. My priority is watching the Gators & the rest of the SEC, but this year I will forgo an SEC game to watch a game with a top QB prospect in it.

no i think kiper is a moron. you dont know me, i watch more college football than I do NFL. everything you said after that made me realize im wasting my time discussing football with you. no offense

Typ0
08-08-2010, 11:20 PM
If Edwards can keep his head straight and stay on the field he'll be a good QB.

better days
08-09-2010, 12:39 AM
no i think kiper is a moron. you dont know me, i watch more college football than I do NFL. everything you said after that made me realize im wasting my time discussing football with you. no offense

You think Kiper is a moron, yet you use his name to try & make your point in post #32. I am the one wasting my time.

FlyingDutchman
08-09-2010, 12:38 PM
You think Kiper is a moron, yet you use his name to try & make your point in post #32. I am the one wasting my time.

its to add credibility...yes i think hes a moron but hes still a professional draft analyst...unlike John frikin Clayton lol...if I said I think Locker would have been number 1 this year, that means nothing to you. Just letting you know im not the only one who thinks this way. Trust me man, i knew i wasting my time with you months ago when you said Tebow is a top 10 draft pick. Thats the dumbest crap ive ever heard

better days
08-09-2010, 12:54 PM
its to add credibility...yes i think hes a moron but hes still a professional draft analyst...unlike John frikin Clayton lol...if I said I think Locker would have been number 1 this year, that means nothing to you. Just letting you know im not the only one who thinks this way. Trust me man, i knew i wasting my time with you months ago when you said Tebow is a top 10 draft pick. Thats the dumbest crap ive ever heard

Yeah, You & Kiper both thought Tebow would not be drafted in the 1st rnd also. You were BOTH wrong about that also. So much for the cred Kiper brings. LOL

I said Tebow WILL be drafted in the 1st rnd. I said it was POSSIBLE he would be drafted by Jacksonville or the Bills in the top 10.

You said Tebow would NOT be drafted in the 1st rnd. I was right, you were wrong. I am wasting my time with you.

Philagape
08-09-2010, 01:08 PM
Everybody is wasting their time on both of you.

better days
08-09-2010, 01:20 PM
Everybody is wasting their time on both of you.

I am finished with it.