PDA

View Full Version : The sounds of real football fill St. John Fisher

shelby
08-08-2010, 07:48 AM
i find this encouraging...

Want to know the difference between the Buffalo Bills training camp this year compared to previous summers? It's the sound of pads popping and helmets colliding. In other words, there is some real football going on at St. John Fisher College.
New head coach Chan Gailey has conducted practice in pads every day since camp began 10 days ago. He also scheduled eight days of double sessions, with at least one in full pads. And the practices are longer than in the past, usually lasting up to two hours, with only a few exceptions.
The old-school approach is Gailey's attempt to instill in the team a tougher, more physical mentality that was missing under former coach Dick Jauron.
"We're definitely going to get a lot of work in pads because Coach Gailey is trying to change the culture around here, change the mindset and attitudes and the way we prepare for games, our approach to each and every game and he's trying to set the tone from Day One," safety George Wilson said. "I think the guys in the locker room kind of expect to be in pads just about every day we come out here. It's a different change-up from what we've had, but hey, the past 10-12 years for this organization haven't been working so hey, let's give this a try."
Jauron held very few padded practices and did very little hitting. His morning walk-throughs barely broke a sweat. He didn't like to practice long either. Rarely were the players on the field more than 90 minutes.
Obviously, Gailey has a different philosophy on how training camp should be run.
"The theory behind [padded practices] is that it's a tough game for tough people, and in order to be a physical football team, you have to feel what it's like to be in pads," he said. "We go out and do walk-throughs and you can go out in shorts and get an idea of responsibility and what your job is. But to understand the game and how it's played with leverage and low-man wins, you've got to have pads on."
Wearing pads every day certainly has been a shock to the system of the players, who had grown accustomed to running around in shorts and jerseys this time of the year.

read more... (http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/bills-nfl/article95852.ece)

HHURRICANE
08-08-2010, 08:24 AM
Thanks Shelby!!

trapezeus
08-08-2010, 12:55 PM
you know what's also hilarious is that they are in pads every day so far and have less season ending injuries than jauron's camp. we all knew it was bad with jauron, but i dont think we ever thought it was this bad.

bosshogg21
08-08-2010, 01:02 PM
When i hear stuff like this I really scratch my head at how jauron could ever be a head coach. I mean there are only 32 of these jobs in the entire world. How on earth did that soft, sniveling, game day ****** end up with one of them??

Turf
08-08-2010, 04:02 PM
When i hear stuff like this I really scratch my head at how jauron could ever be a head coach. I mean there are only 32 of these jobs in the entire world. How on earth did that soft, sniveling, game day ****** end up with one of them??

Marv I don't belong in the HOF Levy.

Jeff1220
08-08-2010, 08:03 PM
One reason Jauron avoided a lot of padded practices was his concern about injuries.

Yeah, how'd that work out for you, Dickie?

Beebe's Kid
08-09-2010, 08:15 AM
Marv I don't belong in the HOF Levy.

Doesn't that axe get heavy?

Seriously, Marv was the HC during this team's best years. I know you would have done a better job, and even though Marv might not be the cold, calculating, evil-football-genius that you are...do you really think you need to keep kicking a guy that has done so much for the area?