PDA

View Full Version : Bills Have Underrated Talent At Wide Receiver

shelby
08-08-2010, 07:50 AM
One of the most intriguing positional battles we've been watching since the start of 2010 Buffalo Bills (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/teams/BUF) training camp has been the free-for-all for reps and targets at the wide receiver position. Aside from veterans Lee Evans (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/players/1866/Lee_Evans) and Roscoe Parrish (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/players/1893/Roscoe_Parrish) - known commodities and virtual locks to make the final roster - the team has a large pool (eight deep) of highly unproven talent that they're trying to develop. Here are some observations about each of those players to date in training camp:
Steve Johnson (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/players/34862/Steve_Johnson) has been getting the bulk of the reps as the starter opposite Evans. The third-year player out of Kentucky has been the most consistent young receiver at camp, displaying a degree of polish to his game that several others don't possess yet. He has been targeted frequently on short and intermediate routes, and could develop a reputation as Buffalo's go-to possession receiver in time. He has good hands and is capable of making the tough catch; he just needs to continue to work on his consistency and become more of a presence on the football field.

read more... (http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2010/8/7/1610733/bills-have-underrated-talent-at)

SaviorEdwards
08-08-2010, 07:57 AM
Once Madden 11 comes out people will understand the type of talent we have at WR.

Goobylal
08-08-2010, 08:12 AM
I still say they should have re-signed TO, while developing the younger guys.

YardRat
08-08-2010, 08:16 AM
They've been developing for a couple seasons now....time to see whether or not they actually belong on an NFL roster. We're stocked to the hilt with young guys with 'potential', for these guys in their 3rd season (or plus) results on the field are what counts now.

tampabay25690
08-08-2010, 08:16 AM
Once Madden 11 comes out people will understand the type of talent we have at WR.

Rely on Madden 11...........

ddaryl
08-08-2010, 08:30 AM

what's up with your signature.. I can't decipher it :bullseye:

HHURRICANE
08-08-2010, 08:36 AM
I said it early this year but I think Hardy is getting cut.

Another wasted draft pick.

Night Train
08-08-2010, 08:51 AM
Don't let the kids play ( Johnson,Hardy,Jackson ).

Kepp living in the past with declining talent because they're famous ! (during an obvious rebuilding year )

Great logic ! (Look at our shiny toy ! Is ESPN looking at us ! )

PromoTheRobot
08-08-2010, 10:36 AM

I have to agree. Hardy's done. Chan doesn't give a crap about who was a big draft pick. You suck, you're gone. The UDFA WRs the Bills signed are having better camps than Hardy.

PTR

dasaybz
08-08-2010, 01:40 PM
How is Parrish a virtual lock at WR? I wouldn't be surprised at all if he's cut.

OpIv37
08-08-2010, 03:29 PM
Don't let the kids play ( Johnson,Hardy,Jackson ).

Kepp living in the past with declining talent because they're famous ! (during an obvious rebuilding year )

Great logic ! (Look at our shiny toy ! Is ESPN looking at us ! )
Well, on D we brought in Andra Davis and Dwan Edwards to mentor the young guys- was the team wrong to do that because it will take snaps from young guys in a rebuilding year?

TO is probably not the answer but this team would benefit from a vet WR.

Thief
08-08-2010, 03:49 PM
Well, on D we brought in Andra Davis and Dwan Edwards to mentor the young guys- was the team wrong to do that because it will take snaps from young guys in a rebuilding year?

TO is probably not the answer but this team would benefit from a vet WR.So... who do you suggest again?

mikemac2001
08-08-2010, 04:26 PM
So... who do you suggest again?

Herman Moore

Johnny Bugmenot
08-08-2010, 04:26 PM

I wouldn't go that far-- the Bills needed (still need) a big possession receiver, and he was the best available in that draft. Remember, he was projected as a first-rounder and fell to the second. Limas Sweed, who was one of the other names floating around for that role, is having the same problems. Given the choice between taking a flyer on Hardy and nobody, I'll take Hardy.

OpIv37
08-08-2010, 05:00 PM
Why do people on this board have such a huge ****ing complex about this?

First, I don't work in an NFL front office. It's not my job to know. It's the FO's job to find the players the team needs. You never hear the Jets, Pats, or Fins use the "no one is available" excuse. They find a way to get the guys they need.

Second, even if no one is available, it doesn't alleviate the team of the need. We need a vet WR regardless if there are 40 available or zero available.

Turf
08-08-2010, 05:27 PM

Frank Lewis would work for me.

YardRat
08-08-2010, 05:27 PM

TO is probably not the answer but this team would benefit from a vet WR.

Little bit of a difference between LB and WR IMO...we didn't have dick for young guys waiting to step in at LB, unless you want to count Ellis and Maybin, but they are bigger ?s than usual because of the position switch.

trink
08-08-2010, 06:29 PM
Is Bernard Ford still available on the open market?

OpIv37
08-08-2010, 06:30 PM
Little bit of a difference between LB and WR IMO...we didn't have dick for young guys waiting to step in at LB, unless you want to count Ellis and Maybin, but they are bigger ?s than usual because of the position switch.

Actually, Davis plays inside and Ellis and Maybin are slotted for outside, but your point holds true because we really don't have a lot of young guys at ILB. Besides Davis, the two best are Poz and Mitchell. Mitchell's been around forever and Poz will still get time cuz we'll use 2 ILB's in the 3-4.

Buffalogic
08-08-2010, 06:33 PM
Parrish won't be cut. Not a chance. Gailey loves those little squirty fast guys.

We have a good group of young talent at WR. Just need one of them to be able to put it all together and be a player. Hardy is probably in the most jeopardy of getting cut.

Mike13
08-08-2010, 09:14 PM
How is Parrish a virtual lock at WR? I wouldn't be surprised at all if he's cut.

Dont be suprised if we bring him back home if that happens.

If no one steps up at Returner then I can see him coming down to Miami(assuming he is cut)

I think Nolan Caroll is fast enough for us though. But can he field kicks or punts? We shall see.

YardRat
08-08-2010, 09:27 PM
Actually, Davis plays inside and Ellis and Maybin are slotted for outside, but your point holds true because we really don't have a lot of young guys at ILB. Besides Davis, the two best are Poz and Mitchell. Mitchell's been around forever and Poz will still get time cuz we'll use 2 ILB's in the 3-4.

I was just looking the unit as a whole, not inside/outside, and as you also stated, we had nobody inside that should be ready to step up and contribute significantly.

better days
08-08-2010, 10:27 PM
Dont be suprised if we bring him back home if that happens.

If no one steps up at Returner then I can see him coming down to Miami(assuming he is cut)

I think Nolan Caroll is fast enough for us though. But can he field kicks or punts? We shall see.

Yeah, all the sudden the Fins have some holes to fill.

Demon
08-10-2010, 02:00 AM

If you go to camp just once, you'd realize what an asinine comment this is. Gailey may not be a genius or a savior, and he may not even win us more games then that buffoon did last year, however, the one thing Gailey is, is a smart offensive man, and he will use Parrish to the best of his ability. Parrish will make the team as the slot WR and will have a decent season stats wise (for his standard lol).