PDA

View Full Version : The Car Game

jmb1099
08-08-2010, 05:11 PM
Have you ever been the victim of the "get in the car" trick? You know which one I'm talking about. If you're on the giving end of this simplistic prank it is ridiculous fun. Your friend has left the car for whatever reason and now wants to return. As he gets close you pull ahead, just out of reach. You laugh and promise to let him in this time. He laughs, no harm, no foul and just as he's about to get close enough to get back in, you pull away again laughing the whole time. What makes this prank even better is that its a rinse wash and repeat kind of thing. Its great fun, unless you're the guy trying to get in the car. This pretty much describes my relationship with the Buffalo Bills.

My God I love football season, but I really love the Buffalo Bills. For the past eleven years I have tried to get in the car and the car keeps pulling away. I've felt anger, frustration, betrayal, and last year a brand new emotion; hopelessness. Lets be honest for just a moment. We've endured some pretty miserable seasons as fans of this franchise, and even though we've had seasons with worse records, last season, at least for me, was by far the worst. We weren't merely mediocre last year, its not that we were just awful, its that the team literally gave up and that quite honestly is hard to recover from.

But, the driver of the car keeps assuring us that things will get better, keeps telling us that we can get in the car this time. Over the years we've brought in superstar players, new coach's, a blast from the past, and even added a new jumbo-tron in the stadium. But the result is the same each and every time: laughed at, frustrated, and betrayed.

So here we are. Another new year, another new coach, and another savior superstar come and gone. I am standing here wondering if I should even try to get in the car while the driver tells me once again that it will be ok this time. He always says that. Car is running better than it has in recent memory I am told. We will see, we will see. As for right now I think I'll just stare back at the driver an try to determine if that grin in his face has wicked intentions or if this year is different. We will see.

TMu11
08-09-2010, 04:51 AM
The public perception seems to be if you stop trying to get in the car, Ralph Wilson will drive it away...

I say save your money and wait for a new, shiny car to come on the market and just buy it.

Know what I mean, Vern?

HHURRICANE
08-09-2010, 07:51 AM
I love the Bills but I am 90% sure they are moving.

When you listen to the national media the Bills are the first team that is said to be moving. Jacksonville doesn't even get mentioned.

Ralph Wilson's legacy is that the team will be moved out of one of the greatest fan bases of all times.

Jan Reimers
08-09-2010, 08:16 AM
With the current economy, it makes little sense to move a stable, financially viable franchise such as the Bills.

It's not just about shiny new stadiums and glamorous markets. The Bills have a solid fan base, no debt load, a great stadium lease arrangement, and other factors that make the team a good candidate to stay right where it is. There are franchises that are much worse off from a number of standpoints.