PDA

View Full Version : Does Edwards finally get it!?

BillsWin
08-09-2010, 10:53 PM
“Those are the hardest ones to connect on,” said Edwards of the deep ball. “Obviously, they’re the furthest down the field and they’re the hardest to be accurate with, but Lee’s one of the best go-ball route runners in this league. He runs them down, he pins the guy, he gets open down field. We just have to protect. I got to be able to let it fly. I got to be accurate with it. It just takes a little while for it to develop. You’re going to miss some. Sometimes you’ll look really bad and other times you’ll look really good. You just got to take the good with the bad on that.”
After connecting on some go routes the past few practices, the cornerbacks were clearly protecting against it in practice Monday as Evans, Steve Johnson and a couple of other receivers were getting open consistently on the post route inside.
“It has been working,” said Evans of the post route. “It’s one of those plays that you call, and that’s where you want to take a shot. You have to have a few of those in the playbook that you call just to get it up there and let the defense know that you will stretch the field vertically. You’ve got to practice it and if you can be successful at it you can be good. So that’s what we’ve really been doing the past few nights.”
What was most encouraging about Edwards was his willingness to throw into tight spaces Monday night as he appears to be displaying a greater confidence in his reads and ability to deliver the football with accuracy and velocity.

No duh Trent. Of course you've got to let it fly sometimes. What took you so long Justin Bieber?

Next, you got to show it in a game.

Baby steps. Baby steps.

Philagape
08-09-2010, 11:09 PM
So, he's got confidence while the defense is not allowed to hit him.

What was the step before that, confidence playing Madden?

Wake me up when he actually starts playing football.

sdbillsfan2
08-09-2010, 11:56 PM

I said the same thing in another post. I couldn't agree more. Let's see what he does when the Defense wants to take his head off.
I'd like to see him hold on long enough to make the play knowing he's going to get spanked. Maybe Kelly and a few others have spoiled me with that "Qb with a Lb mentality " Deep down ,I fear TE is beyond help ..I hope I'm wrong.

Commissioner
08-10-2010, 01:45 AM
A better offensive line would give him more confidence to hold onto the ball longer.

Jim Kelly had an incredible offensive line and was hardly ever touched.

Demon
08-10-2010, 01:47 AM

lol yeah. Jauron/Van Pelt played a real simple style of football for Edwards so he wouldn't fail and Chan Gailey will do the same, with the only difference being, Gailey has somewhat of an idea of what he's doing while the other 2 guys had no clue. Gailey made Tyler Thigpen look good with the right system, i have no doubt we will see a better Edwards, but if that results in more wins, i don't know.... and is a better Edwards a "good football player"? No. He's got a long way to go.

Dujek
08-10-2010, 03:52 AM
I said the same thing in another post. I couldn't agree more. Let's see what he does when the Defense wants to take his head off.
I'd like to see him hold on long enough to make the play knowing he's going to get spanked. Maybe Kelly and a few others have spoiled me with that "Qb with a Lb mentality " Deep down ,I fear TE is beyond help ..I hope I'm wrong.

The thing is Edwards did have the mentality to stay in the pocket and take a shot just to complete the pass, up until he took one shot too many and got concussed.

He needs to rediscover that mentality.

Johnny Bugmenot
08-10-2010, 06:58 AM
Gailey made Tyler Thigpen look good with the right system
Why do people keep saying this? The Chiefs went 2-14 that year and 1-9 under Thigpen. If that's good, I'm a monkey's uncle. Granted, the defense was horrendous, but how many games were decided by a touchdown or less, and how many times did Thigpen blow it? Almost only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades, and Thigpen wasn't playing either. There's a reason why the spread offense doesn't work in the NFL.

Commissioner
08-10-2010, 08:55 AM
I think people are over looking the fact that the Bills have been busy installing a new offense....

Roscoe Parrish said they are done doing that now, and are able to concentrate at practicing and getting better at those plays.

Trent wasn't going to run those plays perfect the first time they were put in.

DesertFox24
08-10-2010, 09:33 AM
Why do people keep saying this? The Chiefs went 2-14 that year and 1-9 under Thigpen. If that's good, I'm a monkey's uncle. Granted, the defense was horrendous, but how many games were decided by a touchdown or less, and how many times did Thigpen blow it? Almost only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades, and Thigpen wasn't playing either. There's a reason why the spread offense doesn't work in the NFL.

Thigpen's stats got better and better as he played. Also the guy was a seventh round rookie. No one is saying Chan made Thigpen the heir apparent to Manning, but if you look at the stats he did have some good games especially towards the end.

Also that defense was horrid, was still horrid last year, and will probably be bad this year. There run defense was worse than ours and their pass defense was just as bad.

No team can win with a defense that bad.

HHURRICANE
08-10-2010, 09:34 AM
A better offensive line would give him more confidence to hold onto the ball longer.

Jim Kelly had an incredible offensive line and was hardly ever touched.

There is a theme starting to develop out of camp that Gailey has now reiterated a few times now. PROTECTION. Maybe they are lobbying the front office to get them a lineman...or two.

Edwards dumps the ball off because he doesn't have the 4-5 seconds required to let a deep play develop downfield. Everybody said Fitzpatrick was better at throwing the long ball but his numbers were actually worse.

Bottom line is the deep ball isn't happening without time in the pocket.

trapezeus
08-10-2010, 09:35 AM
do you guys remember JP's first game against the texans? i think the first call in that game was a bomb to evans. I remember thinking, "wow, what a way to start a season."

I'd love to see the bills open the gailey era with a big play like that. something that just says, "dear fans, the jauron years are officially over. forget the popcorn, get the champaigne ready."

dasaybz
08-10-2010, 09:36 AM

Posts like this are ****ing stupid.

What do you want him to do, get ****ing laid out in every practice?

Sheesh, if you don't like the article, don't ****ing read it then.

justasportsfan
08-10-2010, 09:47 AM
They had a defense that was ranked 31st. Larry Johnson was also injured during that season.

Philagape
08-10-2010, 09:56 AM
Posts like this are ****ing stupid.

What do you want him to do, get ****ing laid out in every practice?

Sheesh, if you don't like the article, don't ****ing read it then.

What a great rebuttal!

Yes, I'd like him to get laid out in practice. That was exactly my point. You nailed it! :rolleyes:

And how am I supposed to know if I like the article if I don't read it?

Night Train
08-10-2010, 10:07 AM
He has no arc whatsover on his supposed long passes ( which are short ). Makes it very easy to pick off. Then he loses his confidence and checks down for the next 15 attempts.

He will do well dumping the ball to Spiller but he needs to hit those slants to the WR and the posts to the TE or the opposing D will just put 8-9 in the box, killing the effectiveness of Spiller and any running game.

I suppose this is why I cheered for Brohm, because he CAN drop the ball over the top to the WR..but if he sucks at other passes and can't read the D..

Pick your poison, I guess..

trapezeus
08-10-2010, 10:13 AM
i thought that edwards threw the ball with more arc and more air. i thought that's why we ragged on him for the weak arm. because he can't throw it long without airing it out.

justasportsfan
08-10-2010, 10:15 AM
I worry that his balls tend to wobble every now and then. Doesn't have the velocity to throw through tight windows if needed.

HHURRICANE
08-10-2010, 10:23 AM
i thought that edwards threw the ball with more arc and more air. i thought that's why we ragged on him for the weak arm. because he can't throw it long without airing it out.

People really have no idea what they are talking about on this site half the time. These are the same people that said Fitzpatrick was better at hitting the long ball and the number don't prove that out at all. Matter-of-fact as a career Fitzpatrick is one of the worst at it.

Edwards arm strength and delivery is not the problem. He has struggled on recognizing when opportunities have come for the deep ball but that also could be blamed on the fact that whem you are constantly getting pressured you aren't spending alot of time thinking about the deep ball.

I believe in coach Gailey right now as a teacher and an offensive guru. Gailey obvioulsy didn't listen to the fans that thought Brohm was the answer. If Edwards isn't the guy we'll know soon enough but it won't be because of his physical talent.

trapezeus
08-10-2010, 10:30 AM
thanks hh. i just wanted to make sure i wasn't going crazy. my knock on edwards long ball is that it isn't a lazer beam. it doesnt mean he doesn't have the arm strength, he just has a different method of delivering it....especially after you see how JP had been delivering the long ball. Different styles, different QBs.

I am not worried so much about his arm strength in Sept - oct..i do worry about him in November - december. he has not taken the chances, and the fact he puts so much air under his longer routes will be a problem. then again, this is all an issue if he isn't injured by then.

so many question marks, so many days away until the Dolphins opener. I want this season to start. i'm done speculating on half news....or so i say.

justasportsfan
08-10-2010, 10:36 AM

Aaron Rodgers didn't panic despite being the most sacked qb last year.

I guess it all boils down to how Gailey teaches Trent. As stupid as Dick was offensively, he did criticize Trent for not pulling the trigger at times when he should have. Gailey will know for sure if Trent is doing what he should be doing or if he's giving up on the play too soon.

mchurchfie
08-10-2010, 10:43 AM
Trent won't pull the trigger once it is crunchtime. He might throw a few token longballs throughout the year but he is what he is. Its ingrained in him and unless our OL is a major surprise this year, they aren't going to give him much help when it comes to having to throw the deepball either.

Commissioner
08-10-2010, 10:45 AM
Aaron Rodgers didn't panic despite being the most sacked qb last year.

Rodgers did amazing behind a crappy oline... but he also got to sit behind Favre for 3 years and learn.

Edwards stepped in as a rookie and got his butt kicked from day one on a terribly run football team.

justasportsfan
08-10-2010, 10:57 AM
I agree about Rodgers being developed the right way. We haven't had a coach who knew how to devlop a qb since JP was drafted. Sam Wyche wasn't around long enough.

Trent was set up to fail under Dick.

Trent more vocal

He’s matured as the quarterback and as the quarterback you need to be a leader,” said Lee Evans. ”He’s definitely a lot more vocal this year, a lot more vocal in camp and I think it just goes to show just how much more confident he is. If he plays well then usually the offense plays well.”

http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2010/08/10/trent-more-vocal/

trapezeus
08-10-2010, 11:30 AM
i thought that rodgers was getting sacked because he held on too long. i thought that was one of the knocks on him last year and that the line, while not stellar, was good enough.

edwards or fitz or brohm, all say a two hand touch constant, "BLITZ" scheme in comparison.