• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • HHURRICANE
    • Mar 2005

Hardy's Hardly There

For you Hardy fans:

I think the Buffalo Bills should cut James Hardy.

I know, I really cut to the chase there, but it's an idea I've been toying with for the duration of OTA's, mini-camps and training camp to this point.

And there's only one resolution that really sticks out in my mind. The team needs to part ways with James Hardy.

Western New York’s number one source for daily sports talk and play-by-play as the flagship station of the Bills and Sabres. Stream, read and download WGR 550 AM from any device on Audacy
  • HHURRICANE
    • Mar 2005

Re: Hardy's Hardly There

By the way it's great acrticle and should kill the Hardy fans here. What a crappy WR class.

Comment

• k-oneputt
      • Jun 2009

Who would you rather they keep ? Local boy Roosevelt ?

Comment

• we are
        • Oct 2008

Originally posted by k-oneputt
        Who would you rather they keep ? Local boy Roosevelt ?
        yeah seriously....i hate the notion of cutting a guy who has played one season just so we can keep guys who have played and proven even less.

Comment

• THATHURMANATOR
          • Jul 2002

Why cut the guy right now? Makes zero sense.

We only have like 6 or 7 receivers to even play the preseason games with.

Comment

• HHURRICANE
            • Mar 2005

Originally posted by THATHURMANATOR
            Why cut the guy right now? Makes zero sense.

We only have like 6 or 7 receivers to even play the preseason games with.
            Because he's the worst guy out there. That's the way the real world works.

He's lazy running routes and he's getting out played by everyone.

Comment

• k-oneputt
              • Jun 2009

Originally posted by we are
              yeah seriously....i hate the notion of cutting a guy who has played one season just so we can keep guys who have played and proven even less.
              I guess being out injured for the last year doesn't matter then. I guess being 6'6'' doesn't matter either. Let's see what he does in preseason. Of course he is one of our many Big-10 guy's that produce next to nothing so maybe you are right we should keep the local kid who can't run.

Comment

• DesertFox24
                • Jul 2005

You dont cut him till we have to get to the 53 man roster. We need the bodies so we do not wear out the ones here.

Comment

• HHURRICANE
                  • Mar 2005

I guess being out injured for the last year doesn't matter then. I guess being 6'6'' doesn't matter either. Let's see what he does in preseason. Of course he is one of our many Big-10 guy's that produce next to nothing so maybe you are right we should keep the local kid who can't run.
                  Did you read the article??? Did anyone?

Comment

• HHURRICANE
                    • Mar 2005

There's a lot of reasons out there that can pacify most football fans as to why they should keep the former second round pick.

Let's just lay them out there. Whenever a young player, like Hardy, is brought up and thrown to the wolves, there's always arguments from eternal optimists.

Stop me when you haven't heard these twenty million times before when it comes to Hardy:

"But he was a second round pick!"

"Don't you remember that catch against Jacksonville, the Bills NEED a guy like that!"

"He's got so much potential, and he's still so young."

"You don't cut a 6'5" receiver when you don't have a proven commodity on the team."

Yeah, exactly.

But to me, those arguments are completely full of holes. And after witnessing Hardy on an every day basis in trying to finally make an impact for this team, all I can say is thanks, but no thanks.

Here's my biggest question to those that still believe Hardy can be a viable threat in the league.

Why should the current regime of the Bills be married to a player that they didn't even select?

The case against Hardy is a strong one in my opinion.

This is Hardy's third season in the league. That's supposed to be the year players make the leaps and bounds and get to the next echelon of NFL players and shed the 'potential' label.

What's Hardy doing now? He's in a constant battle with former seventh round pick and cornerback Ellis Lankster on a daily basis. By the way, Lankster is 5'9", and gets the better of the 6'5" Hardy on many occasions when lined up against one another.

He's being outperformed by the likes of the retread wideout Chad Jackson, and undrafted free agent rookie David Nelson. Nelson is the same size, nearly the same weight, and can be found getting more snaps with the first unit this training camp than Hardy.

Hardy is sloppy in his routes, his cuts are incredibly lazy, and quite frankly, he fails to get separation from even the weakest of cornerbacks.

Put him out there against a starting NFL cornerback, and Hardy will disappear.

I know what some of you are thinking, cut the guy some slack. He's coming back from a serious injury, and he didn't get much of a chance to prove himself yet.

I will say to his credit, that he's looked a little better in training camp than from his atrocious performance at off-season workouts, and he's got a strong set of hands to catch the football.

But you know what, Hardy has had plenty of chances to prove himself already. He couldn't stay on the field as a rookie. Heck, he even started three games, appeared in 14, and only came away with nine catches. That's unbearable.

He was on the physically unable to perform list to start last season, but when he "came back," he was on the inactive list up until the final two weeks of the season, and could only muster one catch.

Blame it on the coaching, blame it on the injuries, but there's a simple fact underlying all of this. Hardy has not been able to put it together.

He's on the fourth team of receivers, unable to beat cornerbacks consistently who are on the fringe of making the team as it is, and most importantly he hasn't caught the eye of Chan Gailey. If he did catch the eye of the coach, he wouldn't be where he is on the depth chart.

So again, why should the Bills be handcuffed to a player that they drafted in the second round? All reports out of Washington say that the Redskins may cut Malcolm Kelly, Devin Thomas, or both for ineffectiveness.

Both of those players were taken in the second round of the same exact draft as Hardy. So should the Bills be held to a higher standard because of who is on their depth chart?

No way.

If a player like David Nelson, like Naaman Roosevelt, or like Chad Jackson is outperforming Hardy on an every day basis, then there's absolutely no doubt in my mind.

The Bills should cut James Hardy.

Will they? That's an entirely different story.

But to really practice what Gailey preaches about practice, and how important it is to have a consistent effort every single day, then the choice should be easy.

Cut James Hardy, and let him 'realize his potential' elsewhere.

Comment

• k-oneputt
                      • Jun 2009

I didn't read the article. I see in order Evans, Johnson, Parrish....then Jackson and Hardy. not even a question at this point unless a receiver is brought in after cuts are made.

Comment

• twintowers913
                        • Jul 2009

Keep Donald Jones.
                        Here is the Bills first official depth chart.
                        Buffalo Bills: The official source of the Bills players roster, depth chart, injury report and transactions.

Hardys' 4th teamer right now.

Comment

• k-oneputt
                          • Jun 2009

Two things: He was injured last year and Jauron.

Let's see what happens in preseason, but to me Nelson, jones or roosevelt are not upgrades.

Comment

• HHURRICANE
                            • Mar 2005

Two things: He was injured last year and Jauron.

Let's see what happens in preseason, but to me Nelson, jones or roosevelt are not upgrades.
                            Nelson is just as big, faster, and is playing better. What am I missing?

Comment

• k-oneputt
                              • Jun 2009

We will see who is playing better in the next 3-4 weeks.

Comment

Working...
                              X