PDA

View Full Version : Hardy's Hardly There

HHURRICANE
08-11-2010, 02:20 PM
For you Hardy fans:

I think the Buffalo Bills should cut James Hardy.

I know, I really cut to the chase there, but it's an idea I've been toying with for the duration of OTA's, mini-camps and training camp to this point.

And there's only one resolution that really sticks out in my mind. The team needs to part ways with James Hardy.

http://www.wgr550.com/BUSCAGLIA--Hardy-s-Hardly-There/7889271

HHURRICANE
08-11-2010, 02:24 PM
By the way it's great acrticle and should kill the Hardy fans here. What a crappy WR class.

k-oneputt
08-11-2010, 02:42 PM
Who would you rather they keep ? Local boy Roosevelt ?

we are
08-11-2010, 02:48 PM
Who would you rather they keep ? Local boy Roosevelt ?

yeah seriously....i hate the notion of cutting a guy who has played one season just so we can keep guys who have played and proven even less.

THATHURMANATOR
08-11-2010, 02:50 PM
Why cut the guy right now? Makes zero sense.

We only have like 6 or 7 receivers to even play the preseason games with.

HHURRICANE
08-11-2010, 02:58 PM
Why cut the guy right now? Makes zero sense.

We only have like 6 or 7 receivers to even play the preseason games with.

Because he's the worst guy out there. That's the way the real world works.

He's lazy running routes and he's getting out played by everyone.

k-oneputt
08-11-2010, 02:59 PM
yeah seriously....i hate the notion of cutting a guy who has played one season just so we can keep guys who have played and proven even less.

I guess being out injured for the last year doesn't matter then. I guess being 6'6'' doesn't matter either. Let's see what he does in preseason. Of course he is one of our many Big-10 guy's that produce next to nothing so maybe you are right we should keep the local kid who can't run.

DesertFox24
08-11-2010, 02:59 PM
You dont cut him till we have to get to the 53 man roster. We need the bodies so we do not wear out the ones here.

HHURRICANE
08-11-2010, 03:00 PM
I guess being out injured for the last year doesn't matter then. I guess being 6'6'' doesn't matter either. Let's see what he does in preseason. Of course he is one of our many Big-10 guy's that produce next to nothing so maybe you are right we should keep the local kid who can't run.

Did you read the article??? Did anyone?

HHURRICANE
08-11-2010, 03:01 PM
There's a lot of reasons out there that can pacify most football fans as to why they should keep the former second round pick.

Let's just lay them out there. Whenever a young player, like Hardy, is brought up and thrown to the wolves, there's always arguments from eternal optimists.

Stop me when you haven't heard these twenty million times before when it comes to Hardy:

"But he was a second round pick!"

"Don't you remember that catch against Jacksonville, the Bills NEED a guy like that!"

"He's got so much potential, and he's still so young."

"You don't cut a 6'5" receiver when you don't have a proven commodity on the team."
Yeah, exactly.

But to me, those arguments are completely full of holes. And after witnessing Hardy on an every day basis in trying to finally make an impact for this team, all I can say is thanks, but no thanks.

Here's my biggest question to those that still believe Hardy can be a viable threat in the league.

Why should the current regime of the Bills be married to a player that they didn't even select?

The case against Hardy is a strong one in my opinion.

This is Hardy's third season in the league. That's supposed to be the year players make the leaps and bounds and get to the next echelon of NFL players and shed the 'potential' label.

What's Hardy doing now? He's in a constant battle with former seventh round pick and cornerback Ellis Lankster on a daily basis. By the way, Lankster is 5'9", and gets the better of the 6'5" Hardy on many occasions when lined up against one another.

He's being outperformed by the likes of the retread wideout Chad Jackson, and undrafted free agent rookie David Nelson. Nelson is the same size, nearly the same weight, and can be found getting more snaps with the first unit this training camp than Hardy.

Hardy is sloppy in his routes, his cuts are incredibly lazy, and quite frankly, he fails to get separation from even the weakest of cornerbacks.

Put him out there against a starting NFL cornerback, and Hardy will disappear.

I know what some of you are thinking, cut the guy some slack. He's coming back from a serious injury, and he didn't get much of a chance to prove himself yet.

I will say to his credit, that he's looked a little better in training camp than from his atrocious performance at off-season workouts, and he's got a strong set of hands to catch the football.

But you know what, Hardy has had plenty of chances to prove himself already. He couldn't stay on the field as a rookie. Heck, he even started three games, appeared in 14, and only came away with nine catches. That's unbearable.

He was on the physically unable to perform list to start last season, but when he "came back," he was on the inactive list up until the final two weeks of the season, and could only muster one catch.

Blame it on the coaching, blame it on the injuries, but there's a simple fact underlying all of this. Hardy has not been able to put it together.

He's on the fourth team of receivers, unable to beat cornerbacks consistently who are on the fringe of making the team as it is, and most importantly he hasn't caught the eye of Chan Gailey. If he did catch the eye of the coach, he wouldn't be where he is on the depth chart.

So again, why should the Bills be handcuffed to a player that they drafted in the second round? All reports out of Washington say that the Redskins may cut Malcolm Kelly, Devin Thomas, or both for ineffectiveness.

Both of those players were taken in the second round of the same exact draft as Hardy. So should the Bills be held to a higher standard because of who is on their depth chart?

No way.

If a player like David Nelson, like Naaman Roosevelt, or like Chad Jackson is outperforming Hardy on an every day basis, then there's absolutely no doubt in my mind.

The Bills should cut James Hardy.

Will they? That's an entirely different story.

But to really practice what Gailey preaches about practice, and how important it is to have a consistent effort every single day, then the choice should be easy.

Cut James Hardy, and let him 'realize his potential' elsewhere.

k-oneputt
08-11-2010, 03:02 PM
I didn't read the article. I see in order Evans, Johnson, Parrish....then Jackson and Hardy. not even a question at this point unless a receiver is brought in after cuts are made.

twintowers913
08-11-2010, 03:03 PM
Keep Donald Jones.
Here is the Bills first official depth chart.
http://www.buffalobills.com/team/depth-chart-list.html

Hardys' 4th teamer right now.

k-oneputt
08-11-2010, 03:05 PM
Two things: He was injured last year and Jauron.

Let's see what happens in preseason, but to me Nelson, jones or roosevelt are not upgrades.

HHURRICANE
08-11-2010, 03:06 PM

Let's see what happens in preseason, but to me Nelson, jones or roosevelt are not upgrades.

Nelson is just as big, faster, and is playing better. What am I missing?

k-oneputt
08-11-2010, 03:09 PM
We will see who is playing better in the next 3-4 weeks.

k-oneputt
08-11-2010, 03:11 PM
Hardy has physical attributes that you can't teach. I hope he can develop into a player.

JCBills
08-11-2010, 03:16 PM

Pretty sure that isn't what he was saying at all, but alright.

JCBills
08-11-2010, 03:22 PM

Nobody can say who is or isn't an upgrade until a few preseason games are over, but at this point, odds are they outperform Hardy like they apparently have been all camp. Roosevelt hasn't been getting as much press, but the fact that UDFAs are outplaying a 3rd year player isn't a good sign for Hardy.

THATHURMANATOR
08-11-2010, 03:25 PM

He's lazy running routes and he's getting out played by everyone.
Ok so then Evans plays 4 qtrs in all the preseason games?

psubills62
08-11-2010, 03:31 PM
I'd like to see what Hardy can do in the preseason. I have a hard time writing the guy off, but there has been pretty much nothing positive on him in these three offseasons. If we had any more talent at the position, I'd say he's gone for sure. Easley's injury may shove him onto the team, though I wouldn't be surprised (or horribly upset, either) if he gets cut.

ddaryl
08-11-2010, 03:31 PM
Hardy is last on the depth cahrt.... He might not get cut, but hopes that he pans out are fading

trapezeus
08-11-2010, 03:33 PM
they don't have to cut him just yet, but i have a hard time seeing him make the team without the easley injury.

we are
08-11-2010, 03:37 PM

lol you just love arguing.

i was agreeing with you....i DONT want to cut Hardy BECAUSE the other guys are even less experienced and proven.

Thief
08-11-2010, 04:01 PM

He's lazy running routes and he's getting out played by everyone.I am super curious... how do you decide who to believe? Do you flip a coin? Do you simply choose the unconventional wisdom, and then stick with it no matter what?

Thief
08-11-2010, 04:05 PM
Nelson is just as big, faster, and is playing better. What am I missing?Yes. Seems you are missing a good view where you are seated. Somethinbg tells me you havn't been to one practice. You just took this guys word as holy and decided to convince everyone this guy cannot be argued with. "The arguements for Hardy are full of holes because this guy says so."

I tell ya, I'm not wanting to throw him away until I see him get some "live" reps with my own eyes.

JCBills
08-11-2010, 04:12 PM
they don't have to cut him just yet, but i have a hard time seeing him make the team without the easley injury.

I think that's pretty fair to say. I've said this before, and the case might be similar with D. Bell. A lot of converted basketball players have a hard time becoming football tough. Obviously I'd love to see either of both of them pan out, anything to win games, but I haven't seen much yet to suggest that's probable.

SeatownBillsFan21
08-11-2010, 04:17 PM
Funny how some people on here wanted him at 11 in the 1st round LOL

trapezeus
08-11-2010, 04:44 PM
i'm skeptical on hardy simply because of his "modeling" career and his inability to be productive combined with the fact that he succeeded in college on raw talent.

if he was a hard worker in college and was essentially playing a pro system, i'd be more likely to cut him some slack and say, "year 1 he got injured, year 2 he sat behind TO and learned."

but since he was just successful in college because he was faster and bigger than most, and now he faces adversity along with an injury, i don't see that as a recipe as being tough enough mentally to be an NFL player.

Michael82
08-11-2010, 05:11 PM
I was a big Hardy fan because of his size and possibilities...but he doesn't seem to have the desire to get better. I also think that David Nelson has worked his ass off in camp and looks good. He'll make the team over Hardy.

Commissioner
08-11-2010, 05:23 PM
Hardy and Maybin perfect examples of why you don't draft need before best player available.

Russ Brandon said the Bills needed a big body WR opposite of Lee Evans... so he wastes a 2nd round draft pick on the biggest WR in the draft who only ran go routes in college.

Hardy has never show any quickness or burst to get separation against NFL db's and i hated the draft pick when it was made.

Demon
08-11-2010, 05:27 PM
By the way it's great acrticle and should kill the Hardy fans here. What a crappy WR class.

It is a good article. I'm a pro James Hardy guy as well, and i keep hope that he will become good, but, at the same time, i am getting tired of him just looking like a bum. He may have the talent, but he lacks the will and the desire to make it to the next level. Unless somebody finds it in him, he's just gonna be worthless and should be cut. This last move by Gailey of putting him as the #6 WR or whatever, should be a major wake up call for him. If he doesn't rise up and take control of his own destiny, then he's dead space.

Mr. Pink
08-11-2010, 05:30 PM
Hardy can't run routes. Has bad hands. Doesn't use his size to his advantage.

Those were all issues his rookie season, it's good to see he hasn't really worked on them because oh....he's a lazy ass.

There's no way you keep a guy like that on your roster.

Philagape
08-11-2010, 05:33 PM
Hardy is also an example why you don't just draft on physical atttributes. You gotta weigh the intangibles like field intelligence, work ethic and character. We knew he was raw coming out of college, and that should be a red flag.

JCBills
08-11-2010, 05:35 PM
Hardy can't run routes. Has bad hands. Doesn't use his size to his advantage.

Those were all issues his rookie season, it's good to see he hasn't really worked on them because oh....he's a lazy ass.

There's no way you keep a guy like that on your roster.

I wouldn't say he's lazy. He regularly spends extra time after practice, but it doesn't seem to have payed off yet.

Mr. Pink
08-11-2010, 05:37 PM
Hardy is also an example why you don't just draft on physical atttributes. You gotta weigh the intangibles like field intelligence, work ethic and character. We knew he was raw coming out of college, and that should be a red flag.

Some guys who are raw pan out...however you shouldn't be using high draft picks on those type of guys when you're not a solid team.

Solid teams can afford to miss on a guy here and there and not miss a beat...bad teams cannot.

warsawbassman
08-11-2010, 06:24 PM
I agree cut him, and while they are at it get rid of Parrish, Lynch, and McCargo. All first or second round picks who either suck, are lazy, or are dirtbags. Why is Parrish getting a pass here? He has been in the NFL 5+ years and has yet to crack the starting lineup on offense, his punt return skills are not what they used to be, and he whines/mopes/shuts it down when he's called out for poor play (see last year). This team has not drafted well at all since the Butler days, far to many 1st, 2nd, and 3rd round picks wasted in the last 10 years....................get rid of all of them.

Saratoga Slim
08-11-2010, 07:40 PM
Regardless of whether he should be here, his chances of staying just got a whole lot better with Huggins injured/waived, and Easley's injury outlook not looking so hot either.

Blame Canada
08-11-2010, 09:57 PM
don't be surprised if david nelson takes hardy's spot. this injury is only setting him back further. hardy has been constantly hurt, and that is crucial because he has missed so many reps and he isn't the smartest player.

Novacane
08-11-2010, 10:06 PM
People were saying Eric Moulds was a bust after his first 2 years. If Hardy does not take a step forward this year??? Fine..........cut him. For now I say keep him. It's not like the other guys are any better than him

Mr. Pink
08-12-2010, 03:08 AM
People were saying Eric Moulds was a bust after his first 2 years. If Hardy does not take a step forward this year??? Fine..........cut him. For now I say keep him. It's not like the other guys are any better than him

Eric Moulds at least made some contribution to the team in his first two years that allowed him to keep a roster spot.

What exactly has Hardy contributed?

He's Bucky Brooks but worse!

don137
08-12-2010, 04:27 AM
I truly hope Hardy works out because I am a Bills fan and they could use a guy like him to be a solid contributor to this team. However, too many people that attend the training camp on a regular basis seem to say they same negative things about him such as not a good route runner, loses too many battles, does not get separation. This is a very common theme when describing him.

Ickybaluky
08-12-2010, 05:23 AM
People were saying Eric Moulds was a bust after his first 2 years.

Moulds contributed on ST. He returned kicks. Unless Hardy contributes on ST, he basically has to be one of the top-3 guys. If he is lower than that on the depth chart his lack of ST prowess will get him cut.

dannyek71
08-12-2010, 07:05 AM
Nelson is just as big, faster, and is playing better. What am I missing?
How many training camps have you been to? Any?

Hardy was hurt all last year, give the guy a few preseason games atleast. Until they prove otherwise, Roosevelt and the guy from FL are scrubs at best.

HHURRICANE
08-12-2010, 08:18 AM
How many training camps have you been to? Any?

Hardy was hurt all last year, give the guy a few preseason games atleast. Until they prove otherwise, Roosevelt and the guy from FL are scrubs at best.

Okay, I'll give him this one and the next one....oh wait... he's injured, again. So he is going to miss the first two of the season.

It is very likely that he is getting cut so I don't even need to debate with you on this.

Johnny Bugmenot
08-12-2010, 02:14 PM
Hardy and Maybin perfect examples of why you don't draft need before best player available.
Then how do you get your needs? The magical football fairy? She seems to have left Buffalo years ago. Maybe she's living in Raleigh with the other expats. Needs are called needs for a reason-- and they have to be filled somehow.