PDA

View Full Version : Brohm looking for a chance at Bills camp –

justasportsfan
08-11-2010, 02:55 PM
“Brian did a nice job in OTA’s and he improved a lot and we think he can continue that in training camp,” said George Cortez, Buffalo quarterbacks coach. “We’re really looking forward to (Friday’s game) and getting these guys some snaps.”

http://bills.football-news-update.com/brohm-looking-for-a-chance-at-bills-camp-brighton-ny-brighton-pittsford-post/

BillsWin
08-11-2010, 07:13 PM
No posts? Really? I'll bump.

I think he will beat Fitz for the No. 2 spot.

And with all the injuries and struggles Trent has had in his short career, I think its safe to say he might see the field at some point.

Yasgur's Farm
08-11-2010, 07:35 PM
Haven't you heard? Debate is over. It's been declared by those in the know.

DrGraves
08-11-2010, 07:45 PM
it is so sad how disinterested i am by this qb competition.

Buffalogic
08-11-2010, 07:58 PM
No posts? Really? I'll bump.

I think he will beat Fitz for the No. 2 spot.

And with all the injuries and struggles Trent has had in his short career, I think its safe to say he might see the field at some point.Nah you don't think he will beat out Fitz for the #2, you just hate fitz for some reason so you are hoping it happens. Well guess what it's not going to happen. You know it and I know it.

No matter how badly you hope, Fitz is better than Brohm, period.

BillsWin
08-11-2010, 08:03 PM
Nah you don't think he will beat out Fitz for the #2, you just hate fitz for some reason so you are hoping it happens. Well guess what it's not going to happen. You know it and I know it.

No matter how badly you hope, Fitz is better than Brohm, period.

I hope you are being sarcastic. If not, then you have no clue what you are talking about.

I was one of the biggest supporters of Fitz taking over for Edwards last season.

In fact, I really like the guy's personality and how he just loves to play football.

But I DO THINK Brohm will beat out Fitz. Will it happen? Maybe not. But I think it will happen.

justasportsfan
08-11-2010, 08:08 PM
IMO Brohm can keep improving while Fitz is as good as he'll get.

Buffalogic
08-11-2010, 08:21 PM
I hope you are being sarcastic. If not, then you have no clue what you are talking about.

I was one of the biggest supporters of Fitz taking over for Edwards last season.

In fact, I really like the guy's personality and how he just loves to play football.

But I DO THINK Brohm will beat out Fitz. Will it happen? Maybe not. But I think it will happen.Oh I have a clue. It doesn't matter what you thought about Fitz last year you clearly favor Brohm now and it's not because he plays better.

So if Brohm doesn't play better, but you want to think he at some point could be better than Fitz, even without ever showing anything indicating that, well then there's a word for that and it's called HOPE.

It's never going to happen though. I wish people would just face it, Brohm is getting cut. Bottom line, he's not making the 2010 team. PS maybe.

BillsWin
08-11-2010, 08:31 PM
Oh I have a clue. It doesn't matter what you thought about Fitz last year you clearly favor Brohm now and it's not because he plays better.

So if Brohm doesn't play better, but you want to think he at some point could be better than Fitz, even without ever showing anything indicating that, well then there's a word for that and it's called HOPE.

It's never going to happen though. I wish people would just face it, Brohm is getting cut. Bottom line, he's not making the 2010 team. PS maybe.

I'm allowed to "think" something is going to happen. It's called an opinion. Last time I checked, that's what message boards were for. So people could talk about a subject and share their opinions.

My OPINION is that Brohm not only has a higher ceiling, but will in fact surpass Ryan Fitzpatrick for the second QB spot. My OPINION is that he has made more plays in camp with the twos. My OPINION is that the media's observations are correct. For example: Tim Graham saying that Fitz has been an interception machine. Or WGR saying Brohm looked like the clear No. 2 QB a few weeks ago.

Is this true? Maybe not. But I "THINK" it is. It's not hope.

If you want hope, I'll give you hope. I HOPE we draft a stud like Locker, Luck or Ponder next season. I hope that happens.

If your opinion is that Brohm will get cut that's fine. But don't attack what I say and try to act like you know what's going to happen with 100% certainty.

Anything can happen between today and week one.

And last time I checked this was America. :usflag:

scartown
08-11-2010, 08:47 PM
I will be surprised if Brohm makes the team.

Buffalogic
08-11-2010, 09:26 PM
Attack? Far from it.

The problem is I think you know that Fitz is, and will be the number 2, but are just trying to convince yourself otherwise.

Deep down you can't possibly think with what Brohm has shown that he even deserves to be on the team, let alone be the backup. That's why I say PS maybe.

BillsWin
08-11-2010, 09:34 PM
Attack? Far from it.

The problem is I think you know that Fitz is, and will be the number 2, but are just trying to convince yourself otherwise.

Deep down you can't possibly think with what Brohm has shown that he even deserves to be on the team, let alone be the backup. That's why I say PS maybe.

We'll have to see what happens in preseason.

buffalobillsfan95
08-11-2010, 09:42 PM
i think brohm will leap frog fitz :couch:

YardRat
08-11-2010, 09:43 PM
I'm hoping Brohm beats out Fitz. Don't know yet whether he will or not, and can't wait to see the ps games, but I'm still hoping we 'upgrade' at least one QB spot.

Well, two....Brown's gotta be better than Hamden.

Prov401
08-12-2010, 02:15 AM
Brohm will beat out Fitz.

Mr. Pink
08-12-2010, 03:03 AM
I will be surprised if Brohm makes the team.

Agreed.

I don't get the love people on this board give the guy.

He's shown even less than Fitzpatrick did at the same point in time of their respective careers.

I'll take it a step further and say I will be surprised if Brohm is even in the NFL come week 1.

Mahdi
08-12-2010, 06:16 AM
Attack? Far from it.

Brohm has shown way more than Fitz so far so not sure what you are talking about. Brohm throws the ball with authority and has a very Pro style delivery. His delivery is actually better than Trent's.

IMO, Brohm has a chance to push for the #1 spot. Trent is still a major question mark.

trapezeus
08-12-2010, 08:24 AM
this QB competition also has a financial aspect to it. i think fitz and brohm are neck and neck, and depending on the belief in where brown is at, the team may very well just cut the more expensive of the two between brohm and fitz and have brown be the 3rd. if brown is too green, they'll keep all three begrudgingly.

but i do think the bills would love to shed $1.6MM in salary of a mediocre QB.

justasportsfan
08-12-2010, 09:17 AM
Inspite of Fitz's experience over Brohm and the fact that he's played behind Palmer , it isn't clear as to who's better. Fitz's should have pulled away from Brohm yet we find ourselves arguing. Either Fitz is as good as he'll ever be or Brohm is improving faster than Fitz is.

It took Rodgers a while to develop and I can only hope Brohm is starting to get it. If Brohm isn't our guy , I think Levi will eventually beat out everyone on this team.

trapezeus
08-12-2010, 09:28 AM
exactly. if fitz and brohm are too close, i think their salaries will be taken into account. especially if they think brown is a capable #3 and can handle beinga number 2 after an inevitable edwards injury.

justasportsfan
08-12-2010, 09:37 AM
an inevitable edwards injury.

this scares me.

We're pounding the ball all year long unless one of our qb's turn out to be a gun slinger early in the season which I don't think any of the top 3 are capable

trapezeus
08-12-2010, 09:39 AM
well if we are going to throw the ball, we should do that more effectively earlier in the season while the weather is nice and the majority of the "starters" are healthy.

justasportsfan
08-12-2010, 09:46 AM
well if we are going to throw the ball, we should do that more effectively earlier in the season while the weather is nice and the majority of the "starters" are healthy.

I think Gailey will establish a running game first and force teams to fear our run game. Hoping the run will open up the pass.

Once that happens, it will make things easier for our qb's once D's plays the run. This is why our qb's have been practicing the play action at camp.

jmb1099
08-12-2010, 09:51 AM
The QB position clicks sooner for some than others and in some cases not at all. It could very well be that it never does for Brohm, but most reports seem to indicate that is not the case. I will say this, his real audition is friday night and he knows it. If he plays poorly I think he's done. That being said, I think he is going to play well enough to ignite a serious QB controversy. He said himself that what really matters is game play and he is spot on with that statement.

justasportsfan
08-12-2010, 09:55 AM
The QB position clicks sooner for some than others and in some cases not at all. It could very well be that it never does for Brohm, but most reports seem to indicate that is not the case. I will say this, his real audition is friday night and he knows it. If he plays poorly I think he's done. That being said, I think he is going to play well enough to ignite a serious QB controversy. He said himself that what really matters is game play and he is spot on with that statement.

but on Wednesday night Fitzpatrick was the only other quarterback to get reps besides Edwards, giving a strong indication that Fitzpatrick will be the second signal caller into the game Friday night when Edwards’ night is over.

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-3/Practice-Notes---Day-13/14b44e8c-eb21-4606-9980-6e50c7f8759a

My guess is, Friday night is Fitz's audition while Brohm gets the next preseason game. 1st half Trent - 2nd half Fitz. Next preseason game 1st half Trent 2nd half Brohm :idunno:

BillsWin
08-12-2010, 10:06 AM
http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-3/Practice-Notes---Day-13/14b44e8c-eb21-4606-9980-6e50c7f8759a

My guess is, Friday night is Fitz's audition while Brohm gets the next preseason game. 1st half Trent - 2nd half Brohm. Next preseason game 1st half Trent 2nd half Brohm :idunno:
Id say thats a reasonable assessment.

better days
08-12-2010, 10:33 AM

My guess is, Friday night is Fitz's audition while Brohm gets the next preseason game. 1st half Trent - 2nd half Fitz. Next preseason game 1st half Trent 2nd half Brohm :idunno:

It is just the 1st Preseason game. Most starting QB's only play a series or two in that game.

While Chan has said the starters will play more than usual, I expect Trent-1st Q Fitz-2nd Q Brohm-3rd Q Brown 4th Q.

justasportsfan
08-12-2010, 10:45 AM
It is just the 1st Preseason game. Most starting QB's only play a series or two in that game.

While Chan has said the starters will play more than usual, I expect Trent-1st Q Fitz-2nd Q Brohm-3rd Q Brown 4th Q.

Problem with that , it's hard to grade qb's with only 1 quarter. Since Trent is the starter, give him an entire half each preseason game and let the rest alternate.

better days
08-12-2010, 11:24 AM
Problem with that , it's hard to grade qb's with only 1 quarter. Since Trent is the starter, give him an entire half each preseason game and let the rest alternate.

The thing is the other team will probably be playing 2nd team defense by the 2nd Q so it's not a real evaluation anyway.

ublinkwescore
08-12-2010, 12:52 PM
I hope Levi Brown becomes the next Tom Brady...

Emphasis on hope - but it would be a well deserved surprise for all of us.

justasportsfan
08-12-2010, 01:04 PM
The thing is the other team will probably be playing 2nd team defense by the 2nd Q so it's not a real evaluation anyway.

but either Brohm or Fitz will be having the 2nd team supporting cast too so it evens thing out. Besides, a good qb should do well no matter who he's playing with.

Johnny Bugmenot
08-12-2010, 02:08 PM
Brohm was the best QB in the country when he was in high school. He was a bona fide contender in college. Did that just disappear the moment he was drafted into the NFL? Some of you anti-Brohm posters forget his track record before he was in Green Bay and subsequently kicked to the curb. This isn't me just making crap up-- Brian Brohm is probably the closest thing to a blue-chip prospect that any of you will ever see on this squad at QB for a very long time. Would you do that with Sam Bradford, Ben Roethlisberger, Peyton Manning, Eli Manning, or Vince Young? The claim that "he's done nothing yet, so he should be cut?" Of course not!

better days
08-12-2010, 02:08 PM
but either Brohm or Fitz will be having the 2nd team supporting cast too so it evens thing out. Besides, a good qb should do well no matter who he's playing with.

I agree 2nd team VS 2nd team is equal. I said Trent playing in the 2nd qtr with the rest of the 1st team offense against the 2nd team defense would not be equal.

justasportsfan
08-12-2010, 02:27 PM
I agree 2nd team VS 2nd team is equal. I said Trent playing in the 2nd qtr with the rest of the 1st team offense against the 2nd team defense would not be equal.

gotcha. Still okay. Repetition is okay especially for a qb who's learning a new offense and new cast. My only hope is he last an entire half without getting hurt. Then again, if he is to get injured, I'd rather it happens sooner than later so the other guys can get the reps.

better days
08-12-2010, 02:35 PM
Brohm was the best QB in the country when he was in high school. He was a bona fide contender in college. Did that just disappear the moment he was drafted into the NFL? Some of you anti-Brohm posters forget his track record before he was in Green Bay and subsequently kicked to the curb. This isn't me just making crap up-- Brian Brohm is probably the closest thing to a blue-chip prospect that any of you will ever see on this squad at QB for a very long time. Would you do that with Sam Bradford, Ben Roethlisberger, Peyton Manning, Eli Manning, or Vince Young? The claim that "he's done nothing yet, so he should be cut?" Of course not!

Chris Brown said on the Shredd & Ragan show the other day that Brohm has looked better than Fitz.

BillsWin
08-12-2010, 02:42 PM
Chris Brown said on the Shredd & Ragan show the other day that Brohm has looked better than Fitz.

Thanks for making my case better days!

Pinkerton Security
08-12-2010, 02:42 PM
Attack? Far from it.

What exactly has you pitching a tent over Fitz? Is it his stellar 57% completion percentage? His 5.6 yard average per attempt? Just as you are accusing him of having some sort of hatred for Fitz, it definitely seems that you are either partial to Fitz or hating on Brohm because all that Fitz has shown is that he is a crappy QB that will be a career backup...Brohm has had far fewer opportunities, so why not at least find out if he sucks too?

All i know is that I am sick of arguing about which crappy QB is gonna start...cant wait til we actually have a legitimate QB somewhere on our roster.

Pinkerton Security
08-12-2010, 02:43 PM

Yeah but people on here say that Fitz is way better and that Brohm is gonna get cut..duh.

Buffalogic
08-12-2010, 03:44 PM
What exactly has you pitching a tent over Fitz? Is it his stellar 57% completion percentage? His 5.6 yard average per attempt? Just as you are accusing him of having some sort of hatred for Fitz, it definitely seems that you are either partial to Fitz or hating on Brohm because all that Fitz has shown is that he is a crappy QB that will be a career backup...Brohm has had far fewer opportunities, so why not at least find out if he sucks too?

All i know is that I am sick of arguing about which crappy QB is gonna start...cant wait til we actually have a legitimate QB somewhere on our roster.You just made my point for me. Fitz is a career backup, so we should keep him as one. He's good insurance. Stop holding out for Brohm to 'get better'. He's been in the league long enough and all he's done is get worse since his junior year. That's a trend people should be paying attention to.

Philagape
08-12-2010, 04:03 PM
Brohm was the best QB in the country when he was in high school. He was a bona fide contender in college. Did that just disappear the moment he was drafted into the NFL?

How often have we seen "blue-chip" prospects, first-round draft picks (not to mention second like Brohm) and even first overall picks crash and burn in the NFL? Bills fans of all people should know this.

It happens way too often to stand on someone's college cred. It "disappears" quite often, so it means nothing. The NFL is a whole new world. An NFL QB starts from scratch, and Brohm's time in the NFL has been extraordinary in its failure.
Not many second-round picks get cut in their second year. And nothing has happened since then to suggest that it was unjust.

Johnny Bugmenot
08-12-2010, 04:42 PM
Brohm's time in the NFL has been extraordinary in its failure.
Not many second-round picks get cut in their second year. And nothing has happened since then to suggest that it was unjust.
And that's supposed to be a failure on his part? The Packers were unusually quick to cut him given his credentials coming in; why not blame them? Even JaMarcus Russell got more of a chance to prove himself than Brian has. That is inherently unjust. He has played in one NFL game so far yet you have written him off as a failure. His cutting from the Packers was more the Packers' fault than his. Even mobs make mistakes.

An unknown? Certainly. Like you said, many have failed-- as I have pointed out many times before, actually. Yet many succeed. We don't know which one we have until we throw him out and let him play with the big boys.

JCBills
08-12-2010, 04:46 PM
How often have we seen "blue-chip" prospects, first-round draft picks (not to mention second like Brohm) and even first overall picks crash and burn in the NFL? Bills fans of all people should know this.

It happens way too often to stand on someone's college cred. It "disappears" quite often, so it means nothing. The NFL is a whole new world. An NFL QB starts from scratch, and Brohm's time in the NFL has been extraordinary in its failure.

What could have happened, realistically? Was he supposed to throw for 300+ yds in his lone start after being on the team for 6 weeks?

Philagape
08-12-2010, 04:50 PM
And that's supposed to be a failure on his part? The Packers were unusually quick to cut him given his credentials coming in; why not blame them? Even JaMarcus Russell got more of a chance to prove himself than Brian has. That is inherently unjust. He has played in one NFL game so far yet you have written him off as a failure. His cutting from the Packers was more the Packers' fault than his. Even mobs make mistakes.

The fact that they were unusually quick to cut him is a case against Brohm. How bad must he have been to first get passed by Flynn and then get cut with his "credentials"?
I assume it's the player's fault anyway, because 99.9 percent of all cut players don't amount to anything afterward. Since neither you nor I know what went on, I just go by the overwhelming trends.

better days
08-12-2010, 05:15 PM
The fact that they were unusually quick to cut him is a case against Brohm. How bad must he have been to first get passed by Flynn and then get cut with his "credentials"?
I assume it's the player's fault anyway, because 99.9 percent of all cut players don't amount to anything afterward. Since neither you nor I know what went on, I just go by the overwhelming trends.

Well, worst case senerio, he sucks as you & others think. IT COST THE BILLS NOTHING TO FIND OUT. Best case senerio, he makes the Pack wish they never cut him, & makes a bunch of Bills fans happy.

Philagape
08-12-2010, 05:22 PM
What could have happened, realistically? Was he supposed to throw for 300+ yds in his lone start after being on the team for 6 weeks?

How about at least separating himself from Fitzpatrick? Is that too much to ask?

I mean, that should be fairly easy for someone of his "credentials"

Philagape
08-12-2010, 05:23 PM
IT COST THE BILLS NOTHING TO FIND OUT.

Agreed; same as the other 80-something bodies in camp.

JCBills
08-12-2010, 05:35 PM
How about at least separating himself from Fitzpatrick? Is that too much to ask?

I mean, that should be fairly easy for someone of his "credentials"

The majority of reports point to him looking clearly better than Fitz thus far. Fitz has the heart of a lion, but he is what he is

PcA125
08-12-2010, 05:36 PM
In our situation, where we do not have an established starting qb, I think it is silly to hold on to a career backup simply because that is what he is. I think that with keeping Brohm you have at least a chance that he will develop into something...maybe a light will go on and he will become the starter we need. With Fitz, we know that he is not starting material. I mean honestly, what is the point of having a "serviceable backup" if we dont even have a halfway decent starter?

Philagape
08-12-2010, 06:04 PM
The majority of reports point to him looking clearly better than Fitz thus far. Fitz has the heart of a lion, but he is what he is

Which is, right now, No. 2 on the depth chart.