PDA

View Full Version : The Problem With Trent Edwards

jmb1099
08-14-2010, 07:17 AM
It goes without saying that last nights game was bad. If bad isn't strong enough for you than feel free to insert your own descriptive word. It wasn't that one player performed poorly, its that numerous players were either undisciplined, out of position, or over-matched.
I made it a point to really watch Trent last night. All indicators from camp stated that he had either turned or was turning a corner. The first series last night seemed to validate those statements but I've had time to re-watch the game and have noticed the following:
1) The first series was actually an epic fail, not a success. All check down type passes, no touch down. So, if we're being honest, Trent picked up right where he left off last year.
2) The one pas that he finally threw down field was poor. That being said, not that big a deal, happens to the best except that the following pass was an interception. As quickly as the light went on at camp, it went off again when he missed a wide open receiver. The bad (really bad) int after that play was a complete mental break down. While qb's have been known to make bad plays while being pressured, Trent had been knocked down a few times and was being chased again. The red shirt was off, same old Trent Edwards.
3) My final thought is regarding his stature when he called time out. He threw his arms down and whined and pouted as he trotted over to the sideline.

Now in fairness (and I mean this) to Edwards, it is the fist preseason game with new coaching staff etc. However what I saw last night has less to do with coaching than it does mental fortitude and character. As of right now Trent Edwards is broken and I'm not sure he can be fixed.

better days
08-14-2010, 08:33 AM
It goes without saying that last nights game was bad. If bad isn't strong enough for you than feel free to insert your own descriptive word. It wasn't that one player performed poorly, its that numerous players were either undisciplined, out of position, or over-matched.
I made it a point to really watch Trent last night. All indicators from camp stated that he had either turned or was turning a corner. The first series last night seemed to validate those statements but I've had time to re-watch the game and have noticed the following:
1) The first series was actually an epic fail, not a success. All check down type passes, no touch down. So, if we're being honest, Trent picked up right where he left off last year.
2) The one pas that he finally threw down field was poor. That being said, not that big a deal, happens to the best except that the following pass was an interception. As quickly as the light went on at camp, it went off again when he missed a wide open receiver. The bad (really bad) int after that play was a complete mental break down. While qb's have been known to make bad plays while being pressured, Trent had been knocked down a few times and was being chased again. The red shirt was off, same old Trent Edwards.
3) My final thought is regarding his stature when he called time out. He threw his arms down and whined and pouted as he trotted over to the sideline.

Now in fairness (and I mean this) to Edwards, it is the fist preseason game with new coaching staff etc. However what I saw last night has less to do with coaching than it does mental fortitude and character. As of right now Trent Edwards is broken and I'm not sure he can be fixed.

Good post. I was thinking the same thing myself last night, at least Trent looked good on the 1st drive.

I decided to watch the 1st drive again after the game ended & sure enough, the drive consisted of some nice runs, & a few short passes by Trent.

After that 1st series, the defense knew they did not have to worry about the deep ball & jammed the line of scrimmage.

Historian
08-14-2010, 08:34 AM
He played great until the INT, hen went back to his oldd habits.

wmoz11
08-14-2010, 08:38 AM
He's got all the physical talent in the world, but he's becoming/has become damaged goods even going back to his Stanford days. The guy can't get a consistent staff around him and can't stay healthy.

Bad combination.

better days
08-14-2010, 08:41 AM

Well if you call leading the team to a field goal great, then yeah. I think great means TD's myself.

HHURRICANE
08-14-2010, 08:50 AM
Guys, you realize that this is the offense we are running this year?

better days
08-14-2010, 08:55 AM

So this is it? Chan isn't holding anything back for the regular season? We are DOOMED.

HHURRICANE
08-14-2010, 09:09 AM
So this is it? Chan isn't holding anything back for the regular season? We are DOOMED.

It's going to be run based with alot of dumpoffs. I'm not sure what you are expecting. Edwards did go deep and it looked like Johnson was open. This offense is designed to open up those plays every so often.

Michael82
08-14-2010, 09:11 AM
The problem with Trent Edwards is that he is still Trent Edwards. :ill:

jmb1099
08-14-2010, 09:52 AM
I initially thought so too until I looked it over again. Same stuff as year before. I am also convinced that it was the missed pass before the int that caused the mental break down... I think he is that bad off mentally at this point.

Novacane
08-14-2010, 09:53 AM

and no coach is going to change that.

Michael82
08-14-2010, 09:53 AM
and no coach is going to change that.

EXACTLY!

jmb1099
08-14-2010, 09:54 AM
The offense we're running isn't designed to go three and out for 3 and a half quarters.

Night Train
08-14-2010, 09:55 AM

Spot on.

Mike13
08-14-2010, 11:01 AM
It could be worse, he could be Pat White.

better days
08-14-2010, 11:09 AM
It could be worse, he could be Pat White.

Yeah, but White is not & never will be a starter.

HHURRICANE
08-14-2010, 11:16 AM
The offense we're running isn't designed to go three and out for 3 and a half quarters.

Watch the o-line play is series 2, 3, and 4 and see if you want to blame the QB play.

better days
08-14-2010, 11:22 AM
Watch the o-line play is series 2, 3, and 4 and see if you want to blame the QB play.

Part of the reason the O-line looked worse on those drives than the 1st is the Skins knew after the 1st drive they did not have to respect the deep ball & jammed the line, making runs & short passes more difficult.

jmb1099
08-14-2010, 11:25 AM
I agree with you on the line, but it is Edwards job to adjust and execute. I am in no way ignorant to the woes of the line. In fact, we no longer have an o-line we have a woe-line.

YardRat
08-14-2010, 11:57 AM
I don't think the passes on the first series are a big deal...you have to be successful short and medium to open up the opportunity for deep balls to be thrown.

He still looked frazzled, and his throwing mechanics are still stunted.

better days
08-14-2010, 12:18 PM
I don't think the passes on the first series are a big deal...you have to be successful short and medium to open up the opportunity for deep balls to be thrown.

He still looked frazzled, and his throwing mechanics are still stunted.

I think teams know The Bills can run & Trent can throw the short ball. They will try to take that away 1st. He needs to complete some long balls to loosen up the coverage.

Mad Max
08-14-2010, 01:08 PM
<Q>Those that fail to learn from history, are doomed to repeat it.</Q>- Winston Churchill

Or if you Sci-Fi buffs

"All this has happened before, and it will happen again."
- Battlestar Galactica

Trent=RJ=Losman. Time to turn the page. All aboard the Locker/Luck express.

TacklingDummy
08-14-2010, 09:09 PM
The Problem With Trent Edwards
Is that he sucks.