PDA

View Full Version : The Good, The Bad, and all the Ugly in Game One of Preseason

shelby
08-14-2010, 07:36 AM
What, exactly, was good? :ill:

Fans looking for the new hierarchy of the Buffalo Bills to drastically change the course of events in this franchise’s recent history…will have to continue to wait. The Bills’ 42-17 loss at the hands of the Redskins has Bills’ fans in a familiar place this early in the preseason. A fast start was quickly undone by mistakes and even more injuries to key players. It’s only the preseason, and the games don’t count in the standings, but you’d still like to see some signs of life. Before the game, Buffalo Bills’ play-by-play announcer John Murphy quoted former Bill and current Redskin London Fletcher, who once told him, “preseason games don’t count, but they matter.” Let’s take a look at what happened in the first action for the 2010 Buffalo Bills.
http://view1.picapp.com/pictures.photo/image/9544487/redskins-ryan-torain-runs/redskins-ryan-torain-runs.jpg?size=380&imageId=9544487 (http://view.picapp.com/pictures.photo/sports/redskins-ryan-torain-runs/image/9544487?term=Bills+Redskins)The Redskins' Ryan Torain eludes Aaron Maybin on a 5 yard run in the 2nd quarter

<script src="http://view.picapp.com//JavaScripts/OTIjs.js" type="text/javascript"></script><script language="javascript" src="http://edge.quantserve.com/quant.js"></script>
The Bills did appear to show signs they are a different squad under Chan Gailey very early in the ballgame. The new 3-4 defense quickly stopped the Redskins’ first drive and forced a punt. C.J. Spiller didn’t provide any fireworks on a short return, but the Bills’ offense got off to a nice start. Trent Edwards and company went on a 60-yard drive that led to a field goal, and had the Bills up 3-0. Edwards was 5-6 for 44 yards on the drive, exuding some of the confidence that was absent in his game last season.
That’s when it got ugly for the Bills. Donovan McNabb and the Redskins’ offense appeared to be shut down again after McNabb threw an incomplete pass on third-and-long. However, Aaron Maybin was flagged on the play for roughing the passer. The yellow flag was all-too-familiar for Bills’ fans after last season’s team showed a penchant for Plaxico Burressing (shooting themselves in the foot/leg)in key moments of games. Needless to say, McNabb didn’t look back and led the Redskins to a touchdown.
Then Trent Edwards reminded everyone not to get too confident about this year’s offense by throwing an awful interception on the sideline on a 2nd and 10, leading to another Redskin touchdown a few plays later. Edwards was pressured, and forced to roll to his right. He did a nice job getting outside the pocket and buying time. Since nothing was there, he could now throw the ball away…or force it to an extremely well-covered Lee Evans leading to an interception and 33-yard return. Thanks for keeping us grounded, Trent. Next thing I knew, it was 35-3, and Frank Reich was not walking through the tunnel.

read more..... (http://buffalowdown.com/2010/08/13/the-good-the-bad-and-all-the-ugly-in-game-one-of-preseason/)

ddaryl
08-14-2010, 07:48 AM
it's my fault. I DVR'd the game and did't start watching it until about 1/2 hour in. That represented the 1st O and the 1st D series...

That'
s when I started watching the game. The game was ugly from that point until the 4th quarter when they scored a couple of TD's. I was out painting and gave up watchign when they scored those TD's and only caught them after the fact.

SO basically when I was watching the game they were at their worst, and when I wasn't they showed life.

I will test my theories next week when I won't be able to watch the game li

northernbillfan
08-14-2010, 08:09 AM
it's my fault. I DVR'd the game and did't start watching it until about 1/2 hour in. That represented the 1st O and the 1st D series...

That'
s when I started watching the game. The game was ugly from that point until the 4th quarter when they scored a couple of TD's. I was out painting and gave up watchign when they scored those TD's and only caught them after the fact.

SO basically when I was watching the game they were at their worst, and when I wasn't they showed life.

I will test my theories next week when I won't be able to watch the game li:rofl: Based on this theory, if they sucked while you watched the game, and you watched in on the PVR, they wouldn't have sucked in real time.

Historian
08-14-2010, 08:23 AM
One positive I saw, was Gailey's playcalling. ...especially with the starters.

He mixed it up nicely, misdirection, bootleg, short passes, etc.

They just need to execute it the way that they did on the FG drive.

I also liked Troup. The dude never gave up on a play.

ddaryl
08-14-2010, 10:01 AM
:rofl: Based on this theory, if they sucked while you watched the game, and you watched in on the PVR, they wouldn't have sucked in real time.

while I was watching the 1st series of O and D they we're sucking in real time...

When I walked away for awhile in the 4th they started scoring and of course When I came back it was 35 to 17 but I had to watch the 2 TD's so while I was watching the good part of the 4th quarter they we're busy letting Washington score again in real time...

northernbillfan
08-14-2010, 10:26 AM
while I was watching the 1st series of O and D they we're sucking in real time...

When I walked away for awhile in the 4th they started scoring and of course When I came back it was 35 to 17 but I had to watch the 2 TD's so while I was watching the good part of the 4th quarter they we're busy letting Washington score again in real time...Well then, stop watching the team play.