• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • X-Era
    What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace
    • Feb 2005

A few more positives after last night

First, I was pissed off at what I saw last night. I wanted to see toughness and discipline out of our team. I hoped Gailey would instill that in them. Last night we didn't see that. Now, thats OK at this point. Its a preseason game with rusty players, thats the point of playing it. Make the mistakes now so that you hopefully don't in the regular season. Which brings me to my first positive.

1) Chan Gailey. He came right out in his press conference and said what I wanted to hear. That this is not a quality football team right now and its his job to fix it. Didnt sugar coat or make excuses. He deserves praise for that. He's saying all the right things. Now is when he needs to act. If he is a head coach that will lead and make this team a winner, we will look noticeably better in the next game. Its a wait and see, but Gailey made the right move at this point and thats a positive.

2) There's normal speed.... and then there's Spiller Speed. He looked like he had a whole other gear in that one fairly long run. He's a guy that could be huge for this team. I still think he needs room to run to be at his best. But Jackson and Lynch can handle the stuff between the tackles. And he could develop better run ability inside as he gets better.

3) Jamon Meredith did a decent job blocking last night. I feel he's progressing. Our right side was more of an issue that the left side which is good because we have some guys that can play there but didn't last night. I want to watch more of Calloway late in the game and I think Bell could move to RT if Meredith starts at LT. Green may be consistent enough to hold off any young guy at the RT spot, but we need to see him play to be sure. It's not as bad as I made it seem last night. I'm not sure we are all set but if Meredith can continue to develop, we may be solid at LT by years end. I wont say I'm done with Bell, but I liked what I saw in Meredith and Bell would need to play even better to start in front of him at this point, IMO.

I apologize to Beebe and a few others for being so negative last night, I bought into the concept of toughness and discipline that I thought Gailey would bring. But, you guys are right, he gets more than just one preseason game to show he can lead us.
    Last edited by X-Era; 08-14-2010, 08:47 AM.

• Nighthawk
    Getting old waiting for a championship in Buffalo!
    • Jul 2002

Re: A few more positives after last night

It's early....I did not expect an immediate turnaround in the first preseason game. That being said, I'm worried that Edwards looks exactly like the QB who sucked last year for the Bills.

Comment

• shelby
      The Vanilla admin
      • Jul 2002

i am stoked to see what Spiller can do for us. i'm bummed that Freddy Jax broke his hand, but it will be nice to see what Spiller's got this preseason.

Comment

• ddaryl
        Everything I post is sexual inuendo
        • Jan 2005

I didn't expect a full turn around, but I expected us to show up...

I would have to work real hard to find any positives last night.

Comment

• HHURRICANE
          • Mar 2005

I am rescinding my comments on Meredith playing well.

I just rewatched Edwards 4 series and Meredith got mandhandled and was directly responsible for 3 throws that never had a chance.

Comment

• JCBills
            • Jan 2010

Originally posted by HHURRICANE
            I am rescinding my comments on Meredith playing well.

I just rewatched Edwards 4 series and Meredith got mandhandled and was directly responsible for 3 throws that never had a chance.
            Every play wasn't perfect, but he looked head and shoulders better than what we've seen from Bell. He needs to improve against power rushers, but for every questionable play, there were 15 good ones. First or second series he absolutely dropped Orakpo. After that, Trent got hit due to holding on for too long, and Meredith gave up some pressure, which will happen, but not giving up a sack and using his hands pretty well, is what I would call a 2nd year guy playing well.

Comment

• ddaryl
              Everything I post is sexual inuendo
              • Jan 2005

Originally posted by JCBills
              Every play wasn't perfect, but he looked head and shoulders better than what we've seen from Bell. .
              I disagree... definitely no where's near head and shoulders better..

Comment

Working...
              X