PDA

View Full Version : Lockout Question

kelly2reed4six
08-14-2010, 10:00 AM
Ok so I know that this isn't exactly Bills related, but I just wanted to see if any of you knew the answer to this question.....

I know that there will be a draft next year regardless of the lockout.....so if we blow as everyone expects this year and get a top 5 draft pick, what happens the year following the lockout? Do we draft in the same position or is it a lottery type of system to determine draft position?

Thanks in advance!

ddaryl
08-14-2010, 10:04 AM
that's a good question.... I imagine a lottery system where the worst teams from 2010 will get extra ballots in the hat to improve thier odds of getting a top pick

the thing is you just know New England or Dallas would win the lottery some how... Buffalo might get 32 ballots in the hat to pick from and still end up picking in the bottom half of the 1st rd... You just know that is our destiny

psubills62
08-14-2010, 10:23 AM
I believe that if there is a total lockout in 2011, the 2012 draft will have the same draft order as the previous one. So if we tank completely, we could easily have two top-3 picks in a row. Which, in my opinion, is not bad at all especially since both would be based on only one season, instead of the Rams, who deserve it every season.

Johnny Bugmenot
08-14-2010, 10:43 AM
I don't think the NFL would be THAT generous.

The NHL in 2005 used a weighted random drawing for its 2005 draft. Teams that hadn't had really high draft picks in recent years but still hadn't made the playoffs got more balls than playoff teams or teams with a recent #1 pick. (On a side note, the Sabres had more balls in the drawing than the other teams, but only got the 13th pick. Some luck.) Keep in mind that the NHL uses a draft lottery every year for the top 5 to avoid having teams tank it so they can get the coveted top picks.

Either way, if the NFL were to use a similar system for 2012, it would appear to favor the Bills quite well.