PDA

View Full Version : One of the few positives I took out of this debacle

Ground Chuck
08-14-2010, 10:24 AM
Is that Chan is pissed about the stupid mistakes.

Kick ass and take names Chan

jmb1099
08-14-2010, 10:25 AM
I hope its the good kind of mad and not the Dennis Green kind.

HHURRICANE
08-14-2010, 10:30 AM
Not to kill this thread but I was a little disappointed in Gailey. He looked like a guy that was in over his head.

It's one pre-season game so I'll give him the benefit of the doubt but his players looked tired and maybe that's why most teams don't have guys running around in pads every practice.

Hogwasher
08-14-2010, 10:50 AM
Agreed, hurricane, we were tired. We also had our depth guys in for a long time. But you cant get in shape and not be tired.

Jan Reimers
08-14-2010, 01:31 PM
I lost all respect for Gailey in the second quarter when he failed to go for it on 4th and inches, trying instead to draw the Skins offside. Gutless and nutless, just like Jauron. Plus, stupid penalties killed us, special teams were abysmal, and our execution was crap.

What happened to the tough, disciplined camp he was supposed to be running?

psubills62
08-14-2010, 01:33 PM
I lost all respect for Gailey in the second quarter when he failed to go for it on 4th and inches, trying instead to draw the Skins offside. Gutless and nutless, just like Jauron. Plus, stupid penalties killed us, special teams were abysmal, and our execution was crap.

All respect? Really? This was the first game experience this team has had.

If those things continue to happen well into the regular season, then I'll lose respect for him. Right now, not as much.

Mad Max
08-14-2010, 01:35 PM
I lost all respect for Gailey in the second quarter when he failed to go for it on 4th and inches, trying instead to draw the Skins offside. Gutless and nutless, just like Jauron.....

Ya that was weak. What was there to gain from that exercise? Absolutely nothing. Very Jauronesque.

Jan Reimers
08-14-2010, 01:39 PM
All respect? Really? This was the first game experience this team has had.

If those things continue to happen well into the regular season, then I'll lose respect for him. Right now, not as much.
He could have set the right tone immediately, shown some confidence in our O-line/running game, and kept the first unit offense on the field for some much needed additional plays. But he took the pussy way out.

I've listened to the guy talk, and I believed he was a tough, straight talking football guy. Now he seems like a phony.

BillsWin
08-14-2010, 01:52 PM
You watch his press conference and you can tell he either just got done yelling or he was just about to yell. That guy was trying to hold back. Even his, "Well I sure wouldn't want to live with this for ten days." remark was said without any humor.

Ingtar33
08-14-2010, 02:08 PM
Not to kill this thread but I was a little disappointed in Gailey. He looked like a guy that was in over his head.

It's one pre-season game so I'll give him the benefit of the doubt but his players looked tired and maybe that's why most teams don't have guys running around in pads every practice.

why should he look any different then when he was on the sidelines for GT... or the Cowboys.

not sure why people bought all the spin... but i made myself clear when he was hired that "I know i'm not ready to coach in the NFL, yet i'm not sure i couldn't do a better job then Chan gailey. I can't even say he's an upgrade over Fewell"

X-Era
08-14-2010, 02:19 PM
why should he look any different then when he was on the sidelines for GT... or the Cowboys.

not sure why people bought all the spin... but i made myself clear when he was hired that "I know i'm not ready to coach in the NFL, yet i'm not sure i couldn't do a better job then Chan gailey. I can't even say he's an upgrade over Fewell"

I hope your wrong.

Because if we have sub-par talent, on a team with a sub-par HC, and a FO that is sub-par, we are in trouble for many years to come.

ddaryl
08-14-2010, 02:44 PM
I'm not throwing Chan undewr any busses this early... The 4th down crap was lame, but it is also what you would do if it were a real game....

none the less we look like a team who has a new coach, a new system , and a new players...

Jan Reimers
08-14-2010, 03:06 PM
My main positive is that I didn't poke a screw driver through my ear while I was watching this mess.

ublinkwescore
08-14-2010, 03:22 PM
this team will never get better until a coach demands to open up the warchest, and we put a better than serviceable Oline in front of a QB who isn't fragile. we need to take full advantage of Free Agency, and have the best drafts possible - unfortunately, we can't quite call out this draft yet, won't be able to either for another 2 years...

Thief
08-14-2010, 03:37 PM
That 4th down was NOT a situation that I would went for it in during a regular season game, so why should preseason be different?

If you go for it and it work you give your team a minor confidence boost.

If you go for it and it doesn't work you suck the wind out and get steam rolled as you let the game get out of reach right before the half.

You punt in that circumstance.

X-Era
08-14-2010, 03:38 PM
My main positive is that I didn't poke a screw driver through my ear while I was watching this mess.

Thats a positive for us?

Just kidding... Im kidding.

SABURZFAN
08-15-2010, 03:03 AM

i think the tough, disciplined camp tired these creampuffs out.

BoyILuvLoznStupidly
08-15-2010, 06:43 AM

I turned it off at half time. I couldn't stomach it anymore, it was like deja vu all over again. Honestly, the game looked very similar to last year.

If we don't see an improvement in the next few games;

1 The roster will be completely flipped next season.
2 We have another lame duck GM and HC.

psubills62
08-15-2010, 08:22 AM
He could have set the right tone immediately, shown some confidence in our O-line/running game, and kept the first unit offense on the field for some much needed additional plays. But he took the pussy way out.

I've listened to the guy talk, and I believed he was a tough, straight talking football guy. Now he seems like a phony.

Additional plays? That was their 4th series. A lot of teams go 2 drives maximum with their starters in the 1st preseason game.

People are getting very worked up over a preseason game that is right before a season where most people expect them to really, really suck.

Cleve
08-15-2010, 08:37 AM

Jan, I wouldn't judge him too harshly yet. As the new coach, he designed plays and is running them to see how they work. He clearly designed the play to try and draw the defense offsides in a short-yardage fourth down situation, and he wanted to see how it worked.

So, if he's a good coach, he'll closely review what worked (I know, that's a short list... LOL) and what didn't work, and devise fixes (either with the plays, or the personnel, or both) and apply them during the upcoming games. It might take a few games to get it fixed.

Obviously, I'm less optimistic after Friday's game than I was before. But it's a long season.... and football history is filled with teams that stunk up the joint on their first regular season game, and went on to achieve winning records (I'm thinking of the Patriots, actually).

Personally, I'm going to give the new regime until Game 8 of the regular season... if it still looks as bad as it does now, then I'll join the chorus shouting for Gailey's job. But the Bills have been a horrible team, both Wilson and Brandon had let the team erode, and the problems won't be fixed in a pre-season game or two.

Jan Reimers
08-15-2010, 09:11 AM
Additional plays? That was their 4th series. A lot of teams go 2 drives maximum with their starters in the 1st preseason game.
A lot of teams also have an established QB, a functioning O-line, and a clue.

Jan Reimers
08-15-2010, 09:15 AM
Jan, I wouldn't judge him too harshly yet. As the new coach, he designed plays and is running them to see how they work. He clearly designed the play to try and draw the defense offsides in a short-yardage fourth down situation, and he wanted to see how it worked.

So, if he's a good coach, he'll closely review what worked (I know, that's a short list... LOL) and what didn't work, and devise fixes (either with the plays, or the personnel, or both) and apply them during the upcoming games. It might take a few games to get it fixed.

Obviously, I'm less optimistic after Friday's game than I was before. But it's a long season.... and football history is filled with teams that stunk up the joint on their first regular season game, and went on to achieve winning records (I'm thinking of the Patriots, actually).

Personally, I'm going to give the new regime until Game 8 of the regular season... if it still looks as bad as it does now, then I'll join the chorus shouting for Gailey's job. But the Bills have been a horrible team, both Wilson and Brandon had let the team erode, and the problems won't be fixed in a pre-season game or two.
Great post, Cleve. I'm just exceptionally pissed off for some reason.

shelby
08-15-2010, 09:25 AM
We're in the 11th year of fail. You have the right to be pissy.

Good post Cleve, thanks.

Jan Reimers
08-15-2010, 09:28 AM
I think it's a cumulative 50 year thing.

Cleve
08-15-2010, 09:29 AM
We're in the 11th year of fail. You have the right to be pissy.

Good post Cleve, thanks.

ALL of we fans have the right to be pissed off after 11 years of 'rebuilding'. And believe me, Friday's game definitely didn't make me click my heels together with joy.

However I've been waiting for 11 years - I just figure I can wait a couple more months at this point.

Cntrygal
08-15-2010, 10:15 AM
i think the tough, disciplined camp tired these creampuffs out.

That's my thought! At least it's the one I'm hanging on to!!!!!

Zero
08-16-2010, 12:03 AM
I hope your wrong.

Because if we have sub-par talent, on a team with a sub-par HC, and a FO that is sub-par, we are in trouble for many years to come.

This shouldnt surprise anyone with any shred of objectivity. This is a team devoid of much talent at critical positions. New GM, new head coach, new coordinators installing a brand new offensive/defensive schemes and even new trainers....

I'll happily eat crow if I'm wrong but if this isnt 13 loss season I dont know what is...

justasportsfan
08-16-2010, 09:24 AM

Hard counts and drawing teams offsides have to be practiced. Don't have a problemm punting the ball away either. You also get to evaluate your special teams that way. We weren't trying to win the game.

I do agree that it was painful to watch on every side of the ball. I expected that however. Everyone is going to look confused . I don't think Gailey is a miracle worker but under Dick this team looked just as confused in his 3rd year as HC.

I'm worried that this team under Dehaven will suck. I'm just hoping that he was trying to preserving the starters.

I have confidence that this team won't be as bad as what we saw and that Gailey was more likely just evaluating players .

starrymessenger
08-16-2010, 07:07 PM
Ya that was weak. What was there to gain from that exercise? Absolutely nothing. Very Jauronesque.

Right. Either go for it (its a preseason game and your O needs reps) or don't. If you go for it try and get them to jump. If you just try and draw them offside, fine ok but take a five yard delay of game - don't burn a timeout. Doubly Jauronesque.

Dick looked like a zombie on the side-lines. Chan looked like an old woman on her way to Wallmart.

I believe (hope) he is better than that, but I need to see it.