PDA

View Full Version : My drilling of Rex Ryan/Jets on TV this week

Coach Sal
08-14-2010, 09:54 PM
After reading through all the depression on here since last night, I figured I'd post this and maybe get a couple people to feel a little better. Even if you disagree, you have to hate the Jets, right?

Anyway, Check out my drilling of.......err, I mean, thoughts on, Rex Ryan and the Jets on TV Thursday night (about 15-20 secs in):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPmR7pnbNw4

After that, I obviously couldn't say "the Jets" when asked who'd win the AFC East....but I just couldn't say the Bills either, without being laughed at. So, sorry, but I had to say "Pats."

Yeah, and I know Rex and the Jets made it pretty far last year and his team loves him, yada, yada yada. But this style is great short-term and can definitely give a team a shot in the arm. I just don't think it can last. It's not a coach's job to be "one of the guys."

Players will start to lose respect for him and not view him as an authority figure after a while.....just not sure when "a while" is. I'm guessing it starts happening as soon as they lose a couple games and big egos in the locker room start clashing a little and it's his job to squash it. He'll then have to play "authority fogure" to guys he was supposed to be "best friends" with. Sorry....that won't work.

CuseJetsFan83
08-14-2010, 10:12 PM
a very fair assessment sal as always.... one question i have.... if for some reason tony richardson gets let go in place of john conner at FB..... do you think the bills would swoop him up?

Hogwasher
08-14-2010, 10:45 PM
Coach, I appreciate where you are coming from with the Sexy Rex Ryan thing. I think your show is great, and I am a recent convert.

I think that his flamboyance does serve a purpose. It takes pressure off of the players when it is all about the coach. It gives him a stage for propaganda to motivate his players and distract the opponents. I do not think he is completely uncalculating.

His bluster is so over the top that it cannot be taken seriously. That is a defense mechanism if he does not do well. He can always claim it was just talking trash.

I think it puts fans in the stands and brings attention to his team. The Jets do not deserve to be viewed as a Super Bowl contender on their own merits, but with Rex saying it so often it has become an article of faith. He has set the bar high and created a positive environment.

I had a coach with a great deal of swagger in high school. He was a big, six foot four gangster looking Greek guy who rode a Harley and looked like Dracula. Mina George at Erie Cathedral Prep in Erie, Pa. He just brought a toughness and attitude to the team. He was ridiculously profane, awesomely pompous, spectacularly violent, but at no time was he ever not in control of his persona. He also had a lifetime .750 winning percentage against the best high school teams in Ohio and Western PA.

General Patton said to do your damnedest in the most ostentatious manner possible.

more cowbell
08-14-2010, 11:51 PM
a very fair assessment sal as always.... one question i have.... if for some reason tony richardson gets let go in place of john conner at FB..... do you think the bills would swoop him up?

Is Richardson on the bubble? I would love to see him in a Bills uniform he has always been an elite fullback

CuseJetsFan83
08-14-2010, 11:59 PM
Is Richardson on the bubble? I would love to see him in a Bills uniform he has always been an elite fullback

well when i was down in cortland for the green and white scrimmage some of the reporters there seem to think tony is on his way out..

i wouldn't be surprised, but that is a ton of leadership to lose if they get rid of him.

and as nice of a player i have ever met as well

Mr. Pink
08-15-2010, 12:00 AM
Disagree.

"Sideshow?" It worked last year.

Ditka was the same type of coach his entire tenure, it worked for him.

The Jets may not be as good as they were last year...but they'll still likely be a playoff team. As long as Mark Sanchez doesn't screw it all up and stays the same or a little better.

Coach Sal
08-15-2010, 12:19 AM
Disagree.

"Sideshow?" It worked last year.

Ditka was the same type of coach his entire tenure, it worked for him.

The Jets may not be as good as they were last year...but they'll still likely be a playoff team. As long as Mark Sanchez doesn't screw it all up and stays the same or a little better.

Read my comments on that.

That shtick works short-term. Last year was a totally new, rejuvenated experience for them. Maybe he can get away with it for another year, but like I stated above, that style wears off.

And Ditka wasn't concerned with seeking out cameras and making a name for HIMself like Ryan is. He had plenty of characters on that team to do it. He was abrasive and tough, and he had a large personality.....but he wasn't every players' best friend and playing "look at me!" every time there was a camera or mic around. Rex does.

Coach Sal
08-15-2010, 12:19 AM

Don't know if they would, but I'd love him.

TheGhostofJimKelly
08-15-2010, 07:41 AM
Well as much as I try to avoid you, I believe the complete opposite. I think Ryan plays up to the cameras on HBO and I also believe that he is in the New York market, which plays everything up. I don't think he is the greatest coach in the league, but I can't see this team failing. They are going to be just fine. I also think that your statement that this will only last a couple years is a little thin, but isn't that the same with most of the coaches in this league? Coaches only last a few years and even if they are good, they don't last more than a few years. I hate the Jets, but I can't see them failing this year. I can see them in the AFC Championship and possibly the Super Bowl, it will all depend on their quarterback and cornerback, not their coach. The players coach works when it has to. I guess the only way we will find out is in due time.

Extremebillsfan247
08-15-2010, 01:46 PM
If Chan Gailey tried that, He would be getting flamed from all four corners of the football planet for being so brash and arrogant. Just pointing that out.

Coach Sal
08-15-2010, 02:48 PM
Well as much as I try to avoid you......

I don't know what's more odd, that statement itself or the fact that you felt the need to pronounce it as part of your response.

Not that it really matters, but maybe you can explain why it is you "try to avoid me?" Do I have some Internet disease you believe you will catch?

...I believe the complete opposite. I think Ryan plays up to the cameras on HBO and I also believe that he is in the New York market, which plays everything up. I don't think he is the greatest coach in the league, but I can't see this team failing. They are going to be just fine. I also think that your statement that this will only last a couple years is a little thin, but isn't that the same with most of the coaches in this league? Coaches only last a few years and even if they are good, they don't last more than a few years. I hate the Jets, but I can't see them failing this year. I can see them in the AFC Championship and possibly the Super Bowl, it will all depend on their quarterback and cornerback, not their coach. The players coach works when it has to. I guess the only way we will find out is in due time.

This is a fair assessment and response. You may be totally right. I could be wrong and they may win the SB, or even a couple under him.

But in my experience in sports and in coaching, this type of thing eventually finds a way to bite you in the ass. Of course they all "eventually" lose their jobs, but what I mean is this will happen with this particular group a lot sooner than expected and they will be underachievers.

If the Jets lose without Revis, I can hear everyone now saying it had nothing to do with Rex and all because "no Revis." But that's the point. If RR is a great as he makes himself out to be and so many believe he is, they should still be damn good with or without him.

(See, I have no issues with anyone disagreeing with me. Even those who "try to avoid me.")

trapezeus
08-16-2010, 09:31 AM
rex sells tickets? really because the jets have a full on marketing push here in the city and still have a ton of seats available. Part of that is PSL related, but can you imagine if the bills put together a talented team and won the AFC east and got to the AFC championship game, cna you imagine how quickly the seats would be sold for the following season?

Anyways, i concur with sal. i really think the jets are a powder keg. between a showy coach, a handful of disgruntled core players, the classic washed up big name player signings and the ny media pretty much demanding a superbowl appearance this year, the jets are the classic fall off team this year.

In light of having an enjoyable bills season, i think i will sit back and watch the jets implode and let that be my form of entertainment.