PDA

View Full Version : Naslund named MVP by players

PA Season Ticket Holder
06-13-2003, 12:15 AM
TORONTO -- Vancouver Canucks captain Markus Naslund became the first Swede to win the Lester B. Pearson Award as the NHL's most outstanding player Thursday.

Naslund

The award, voted on by members of the NHL Players' Association, is named after a former Canadian prime minister.

Boston Bruins captain Joe Thornton and Colorado Avalanche forward Peter Forsberg were the other finalists for the award.

Naslund finished second in the league in scoring this season with 48 goals and 56 assists in 82 games.

"I thought Peter was going to win it," Naslund said. "It's a great moment for myself personally."

The winner receives $20,000 to donate to a hockey program of his choice as part of the NHLPA's Goals and Dreams fund. Each runner-up designates $10,000 to the grass-roots hockey program of his choice.

Forsberg, who missed the entire 2001-02 season with injuries, was the NHL's scoring leader with 106 points _ 29 goals and 77 assists in 75 games. Forsberg said he voted for Naslund.

"I think he had a great year. He deserved it," Forsberg said. "He's been outstanding, and it's great to see him have this success. I'm really happy for him."

http://msn.espn.go.com/nhl/news/2003/0612/1567006.html

Earthquake Enyart
06-13-2003, 10:40 AM
The Wild players all voted for Cloutier.

BironsGirl43
06-13-2003, 02:32 PM
Originally posted by Earthquake Enyart
The Wild players all voted for Cloutier.

:rofl:

I love you EE.. that was funny :)