PDA

View Full Version : Before we freak out about our offense!

HHURRICANE
08-15-2010, 10:38 AM
You guys probably missed this but both Gailey and Edwards admitted that after Lynch and Jackson got hurt they had to radically modify the offensive gameplan. Alot of the work that they are doing in camp has both of them as an integral part of it.

So before we freak out on the QBs, and the offensive line, I'm sure that both were put in a compromising position with those two injuries.

Just trying to find the silver lining. Maybe that's why the first drive looked good and everything fell apart after that.

better days
08-15-2010, 10:41 AM
You guys probably missed this but both Gailey and Edwards admitted that after Lynch and Jackson got hurt they had to radically modify the offensive gameplan. Alot of the work that they are doing in camp has both of them as an integral part of it.

So before we freak out on the QBs, and the offensive line, I'm sure that both were put in a compromising position with those two injuries.

Just trying to find the silver lining. Maybe that's why the first drive looked good and everything fell apart after that.

Well that could be a silver lining if true. I heard on the radio yesterday Jackson is expected to miss the rest of the preseason. I did not hear anything about Lynch, so hopefully no news is good news.

HHURRICANE
08-15-2010, 10:45 AM
Well that could be a silver lining if true. I heard on the radio yesterday Jackson is expected to miss the rest of the preseason. I did not hear anything about Lynch, so hopefully no news is good news.

I think they can run the offense with the 3 guys they have left but they have to know the plays. Obviously Spiller hasn't the practice time that Jackson and Lynch have had.

If your 2 starters that you gameplanned with both leave the game after the first series it's going to change what you can do.

SABURZFAN
08-15-2010, 10:53 AM
i don't recall anybody freaking out about the RB situation. despite the injuries, i feel good about the young kids. it appears that Edwards and Gailey are making excuses for their piss poor performances.

YardRat
08-15-2010, 10:54 AM
I don't know if I can buy that. It's pre-season...Plug in Spiller, Bell, and Simpson and roll with the gameplan.

SABURZFAN
08-15-2010, 10:57 AM
I don't know if I can buy that. It's pre-season...Plug in Spiller, Bell, and Simpson and roll with the gameplan.

thank you........

ParanoidAndroid
08-15-2010, 11:12 AM
All I remember was that they were moving the ball fairly easily and Trent even recognized a litz and hit Parrish on a quick slant for + yards. They looked much more polished and efficient than any first pre-season game I can remember. Then, the wheels came off.
The O-line is going to be a problem.

Philagape
08-15-2010, 11:34 AM
The first drive was good if you're happy with a field goal. Some of us may want more.

Jan Reimers
08-15-2010, 11:42 AM
The first drive was good if you're happy with a field goal. Some of us may want more.
The first drive was ruined by a Stupar holding penalty.

Dr. Lecter
08-15-2010, 11:44 AM
A touchdown on every single drive!!!!!!

The first drive was encouraging.

The rest of the game was horrifying.

FlyingDutchman
08-15-2010, 11:46 AM
excuses

Philagape
08-15-2010, 11:50 AM
The first drive was ruined by a Stupar holding penalty.

A ruined drive is not "good."

A touchdown on every single drive!!!!!!

If the drive is to be called "good," yes.

Dr. Lecter
08-15-2010, 11:53 AM

A drive can be good if it results in points. A TD is not necessary for it to be good.

One has to take into consideration of a number of factors like starting position (i.e. a drive starts at teams on one yard line. A FG is a good drive), where the offense has been (i.e. the Bills offense, gaining yards and moving the ball in their first drive on their first pre-season game is a good drive), weather, who is in the game and many other factors.

Jan Reimers
08-15-2010, 11:57 AM

I understand that, and I am very concerned about our stupid penalties - the Stupar hold, and the two drive extenders (Maybin and Davis mistakes) that led to their first 2 TDs. It is way too reminiscent of the last several years.

Philagape
08-15-2010, 11:58 AM
A drive can be good if it results in points. A TD is not necessary for it to be good.

One has to take into consideration of a number of factors like starting position (i.e. a drive starts at teams on one yard line. A FG is a good drive), where the offense has been (i.e. the Bills offense, gaining yards and moving the ball in their first drive on their first pre-season game is a good drive), weather, who is in the game and many other factors.

The drive didn't start at the 1.
And I don't evaluate drives compared to how awful the offense has been before. I want NFL good, not Bills good.
That drive was meh. Elementary passing, a killer penalty, and giving up on 3rd and 13 is not what I call good.
A good drive is a drive that will help the Bills win games. That drive does not qualify as such.

acehole
08-15-2010, 01:34 PM
OK I will give you this to a point...however if you are a good coach you have a plan c. Injuries are part of the game. I don't even think they where playing to win so much as evaluating guys.....speaking of that Nelson need to take hardies roster spot period. Kid can run routes has size and makes plays. Perfect possesion guy for gailies offense....wonder if he can block.

amp has both of them as an integral part of it.

Just trying to find the silver lining. Maybe that's why the first drive looked good and everything fell apart after that.[/quote]

BertSquirtgum
08-15-2010, 01:48 PM
too late. i already freaked out after that **** show friday night. never thought i was going to see that. i almost ran to the bathroom a few times to puke.

Michael82
08-15-2010, 01:56 PM

The first drive was a typical Buffalo Bills offense, led by Trent Edwards. Drive down the field with a bunch of dumpoff passes, a lot of running and then fail miserably in the red zone.

Philagape
08-15-2010, 02:14 PM
Plus, that drive was aided by a 15-yard facemask

MikeInRoch
08-15-2010, 02:53 PM
OK I will give you this to a point...however if you are a good coach you have a plan c.

No, not in pre-season you don't.

Dr. Lecter
08-15-2010, 02:58 PM
Plus, that drive was aided by a 15-yard facemask

So?

If the holding penalty is not a factor, why is this one?

Count penalties or don't count them. Don't change their impact on whether or not it benefits your argument.

Philagape
08-15-2010, 04:16 PM
So?

If the holding penalty is not a factor, why is this one?

Count penalties or don't count them. Don't change their impact on whether or not it benefits your argument.

The Bills' penalty was cited, so this penalty more than cancels that out.
Penalties both hurt and helped them, so they're not a factor.

Nighthawk
08-15-2010, 05:29 PM
This doesn't change the fact that Edwards doesn't have the talent to succeed in the NFL.

YardRat
08-15-2010, 07:08 PM
The facemask penalty was a 'bonus', after a first down was already gained. Ball spot was the only factor that was affected. The holding call took away a first down, and at the 2 yard line to boot, and replayed third down from 13 yards instead of 3. Big difference, IMO.

Philagape
08-15-2010, 07:14 PM
The facemask penalty was a 'bonus', after a first down was already gained. Ball spot was the only factor that was affected. The holding call took away a first down, and at the 2 yard line to boot, and replayed third down from 13 yards instead of 3. Big difference, IMO.

It was a 15-yard ball spot, so that's a pretty big bonus.

If a gain is nullified by a penalty, then it was an illegitimate gain.

Mr. Pink
08-15-2010, 08:08 PM
Scoring points, any points, is good.

It means you chewed up some clock, sustained a drive and put something on the board.

The more of that the team does, the less the defense will be on the field to be gashed. And the more this team will stay in games.