PDA

View Full Version : Schobel officially retires

wmoz11
08-16-2010, 12:06 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/08/16/aaron-schobel-says-hes-retiring-again/

"[Schobel] says he's tired of dieting to weigh in the 240s when he's playing and wants to eat and weigh 270," McClain wrote.

DraftBoy
08-16-2010, 12:08 PM
This guy is more indecisive than my girlfriend and that I thought was damn near impossible.

HHURRICANE
08-16-2010, 12:11 PM
He played better at 270.

JCBills
08-16-2010, 12:16 PM
He played better at 270.

262*

Annoying, I know.

Hogwasher
08-16-2010, 12:24 PM
He has been as big as 290 in the offseason. He disliked how small the Bills wanted him to be.

I lived next door to the guy. I have considered the possibility that both sides and his agent have played out this indecision/release/retirement script for months now, knowing what the final outcome would be. He told me last October he was going to retire, and was privately selling his house.

HHURRICANE
08-16-2010, 12:43 PM
It is 100% official.

I actually respect Schobel a little bit more after reading his comments on BB.com.

By no means is he my favorite player but I respect the way he handled retiring.

cocamide
08-16-2010, 01:01 PM
This guy is more indecisive than my girlfriend and that I thought was damn near impossible.

I didn't realize you were dating Brett Favre.

Ron Burgundy
08-16-2010, 01:03 PM
He told me last October he was going to retire, and was privately selling his house.

Man, I wish you'd have told us this months ago, it would have saved a lot of arguments. How much was he selling it for?

PromoTheRobot
08-16-2010, 01:03 PM
I guess I will retire my Schobel = "Douche" avatar...for now.

PTR

mightysimi
08-16-2010, 01:50 PM
But the front office sucks!! We could have gotten a draft pick for him...

justasportsfan
08-16-2010, 02:01 PM
Schobel to make retirement official
“I just decided for sure this past Friday,” Schobel told Buffalobills.com. “I know that for a while there I was going back and forth, but I was always sort of leaning that way and then I just said that enough was enough and decided that I wasn’t going to (come back).”

http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showthread.php?t=194525

Goobylal
08-16-2010, 02:23 PM
It is 100% official.

I actually respect Schobel a little bit more after reading his comments on BB.com.

By no means is he my favorite player but I respect the way he handled retiring.
Not so fast. He should have not reappeared/pulled a Favre and just stayed retired. It would have saved all those posts by you stating the Bills made a mistake releasing him for nothing.

Michael82
08-16-2010, 04:06 PM
It's about time! Now if only Favre would make the same decision....

YardRat
08-16-2010, 04:10 PM
Must be New England and Houston didn't want him bad enough to make it worth his time and effort.

Stewie
08-16-2010, 04:13 PM
Just in case it needed to be proven, an example of ESPN incompetence. First headline on the front page.

"Former Bills linebacker Aaron Schobel Retires"

Fail.

shelby
08-16-2010, 04:23 PM
He was released by the team, so technically, the ESPN headline is correct.

Good luck Schobel.

Crisis
08-16-2010, 04:33 PM
He was released by the team, so technically, the ESPN headline is correct.

Good luck Schobel.

he never actually played linebacker though.

Hogwasher
08-16-2010, 07:42 PM
Man, I wish you'd have told us this months ago, it would have saved a lot of arguments. How much was he selling it for?
If I remember, it went for 310,000.

I couldnt come out and say that Schobel is retiring last year in good conscience. I am considering posting a tell all thread here. I did post it on The Stadium Wall forum. The mods called me a liar, got really personal, and took it down.

The main thrust of the thread was that Schobel does not respect any of the coaches or management at all. He also dislikes the rookies, and especially Aaron Maybin, who he described as stupid and cocky. He says he has been mailing it in since Losman started playing, as has the whole team.

He expressed his astonishment to me at the ineptitude of the front office numerous times, and went so far as to say he did not understand why they paid him instead of fletcher, spikes, and pat williams.

TacklingDummy
08-16-2010, 10:11 PM
It's been known for months he was selling his house.

http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showthread.php?t=191789&highlight=info+Aaron+Schobel

Hogwasher
08-16-2010, 11:06 PM
Dummy, it has been widely reported in the media that he sold his house. I think everyone is aware of that. You will notice that I am not pretending that is new information, insofar as someone else entirely has been living next to me for several months, and because of the ample media coverage of that fact.

DraftBoy
08-17-2010, 07:34 AM
I didn't realize you were dating Brett Favre.

Shhhhh!! Don't tell Joique!

Jan Reimers
08-17-2010, 07:58 AM
For me, Schobel will go down as one of those Bills who played decently, but really made very little impression from a leadership, character, or community relations standpoint. He was just sort of here, and now he's gone.

k-oneputt
08-17-2010, 08:00 AM
I could care less that he's gone. One of the most overrated players in Bills history imo.

JD
08-17-2010, 08:08 AM
This is not Bills news WHO CARES

trapezeus
08-17-2010, 11:30 AM
I could care less that he's gone. One of the most overrated players in Bills history imo.

if you could care less, then why don't you.

I think you mean you couldn't care less.

sorry, it's one of my pet peeves.

and i totally agree with you and Jan. his retirment was just about as unmemorable as his actual playing days. it happened, i didn't notice it, and now it's gone and i don't think i'll remember. 15 years from now, he may be like Mike Lodish. Someone says mike lodish and then i am like, "oh yeah, that guy. he was ok."

justasportsfan
08-17-2010, 11:34 AM
I would put him in between Hansen and Bruce.

k-oneputt
08-17-2010, 11:43 AM
I put him between Leon Seals and Hansen.

Jan Reimers
08-17-2010, 11:43 AM
I think he was an unremarkable player who put up some decent numbers, mostly against weak teams, in garbage time, and/or in meaningless situations.

Jan Reimers
08-17-2010, 11:44 AM
I put him ahead of Walt Patulski, Al Cowlings and Erik Flowers.

k-oneputt
08-17-2010, 11:52 AM
I put him ahead of Walt Patulski, Al Cowlings and Erik Flowers.

Lol. Well even though I wasn't a fan of his he was miles ahead of that garbage.

justasportsfan
08-17-2010, 11:59 AM
Hansen had Bruce and other better supporting cast. Hansen had good stats because teams were running away from Bruce and double teaming him.

k-oneputt
08-17-2010, 02:33 PM
Hansen had Bruce and other better supporting cast. Hansen had good stats because teams were running away from Bruce and double teaming him.

Thanks.

Buffalogic
08-17-2010, 02:41 PM
No wonder nobody wants to play for Buffalo. You have a loyal guy like Schobel play his entire career for a crap team and what does he get in return? A good riddance from most fans. Way to go guys. Some of the comments in this thread are embarrassing.

k-oneputt
08-17-2010, 02:44 PM
Please. It's a business for them and he was well overpaid. Shed no tear. Do you think he cares what we think about him on a Bills board ?

Jan Reimers
08-18-2010, 08:43 AM
No wonder nobody wants to play for Buffalo. You have a loyal guy like Schobel play his entire career for a crap team and what does he get in return? A good riddance from most fans. Way to go guys. Some of the comments in this thread are embarrassing.
I have a couple of problems with Schobel. First, his stats are grossly inflated by sacks which he mostly got in meaningless situations; and second, he played with as little fire and leadership as any Bill I can ever remember.

To me, he is as forgettable a player as we have ever had.

justasportsfan
08-18-2010, 01:14 PM
I have a couple of problems with Schobel. First, his stats are grossly inflated by sacks which he mostly got in meaningless situations; and second, he played with as little fire and leadership as any Bill I can ever remember.

To me, he is as forgettable a player as we have ever had.
I would have to disagree with you here Jan. Are Hansens nos. inflated because he had Bruce opposite him and a better all around team?

I can only imagine what it would be like if Schobel had Bruce opposite him.

Some people lead by talking. Thats why Kelsay was the Capt. but hasn't done squat on the field. Schobel gave it his all . Schobel wasn't that good because it's easy to control him when there's no one else on our D that teams have to worry about.

There hasn't been a better bill than Schobel this decade other than Moorman.

He's easily going to the bills WOF

Hogwasher
08-18-2010, 01:35 PM
I disagree on the inflated numbers thingy. Other teams protected a lead against teams that passed every down and pinned their ears back and rushed the qb. Schobel did not have that luxury. Other players get garbage sacks too.

Schobel was not a leader, nor a charismatic guy. He is a very quiet and private person. You cant have 53 leaders on a team.