PDA

View Full Version : Brohm has a Prime Opportunity Ahead of Him

homeslice5484
08-16-2010, 10:45 PM
Like him or not, Brian Brohm has the most important game in his short career ahead of him Thursday night. Maybe I am reading too much into it, but the Bills appear to be giving him a much better opportunity than Fitzpatrick, giving him the #2 reps at BOTH practices today, and starting him in the 2nd pre season game in a non hostile environment and in a game where a lot of the young player jitters should be gone.

Then Gailey today said it is still an open competition. If Gailey is being truthful, and who knows if he is, Brian Brohm could seal the #2 spot this Thursday and with a good performance and a average to bad performance by Trent could make the competition more interesting.

I won't get my hopes up since it seems almost every time a player has a crucial game where they can really step up they never do. But for Brohms sake, he better take advantage of this opportunity. It appears they are giving him the best chance to succeed that they can right now and are preparing him much better than Fitzpatrick pre game.

I wish him luck and hope he can do it. I liked a lot of what I saw vs the Falcons in terms of poise, arm strength, and his quick release and tight spiral. I will be watching as will the rest of Bills nation, and hopefully he gives us some hope!

homeslice5484
08-16-2010, 11:06 PM
Chan sure talks up Brian Brohm in his press conference.

Buffalogic
08-16-2010, 11:30 PM
Brohm will do what he's done with past opportunities, prove he's a scrub.

Hogwasher
08-16-2010, 11:48 PM
Brohm was awesomely bad last preseason. I was surprised.

jamesiscool
08-17-2010, 12:42 AM
Brohm was awesomely bad last preseason. I was surprised.

are you referring to his time as a packer? cuz I'm not guna lie i didn't watch one game of him in a packers uniform.

YardRat
08-17-2010, 05:45 AM
But...if he does well, will it be attributed to playing against scrubs, or if he does poorly will it be blamed on playing with scrubs?

Night Train
08-17-2010, 05:55 AM
"Prime" could also mean "Last" opportunity.

I'm rooting for the guy but then I root for any QB on our roster to show some actual NFL ability.

Fitzpatrick doesn't have it and I will never be fooled into believing Trentative is the answer ever again. It's Brohm, Brown or a late trade/waiver aquisition if the Bills actually expect to compete.

Albany,n.y.
08-17-2010, 06:04 AM
Anyone who watched the Atlanta game & came up with anything positive about Brohm, other than that he wasn't wearing # 5 or #14, is grasping at straws. All I saw in that game was a QB who didn't belong on the field. Fewell thought the same thing & couldn't wait to get Fitzpatrick back for the Indy game. There's nothing positive about putting up 3 friggin' points!

JCBills
08-17-2010, 06:12 AM
Anyone who watched the Atlanta game & came up with anything positive about Brohm, other than that he wasn't wearing # 5 or #14, is grasping at straws. All I saw in that game was a QB who didn't belong on the field. Fewell thought the same thing & couldn't wait to get Fitzpatrick back for the Indy game. There's nothing positive about putting up 3 friggin' points!

How many QBs will light it up with only 6 weeks invested into a playbook and 1 week throwing to the starters?

Gibran Chandan
08-17-2010, 07:17 AM
Brohm had some nice looking throws at training camp yesterday. During the two minute drill at the end, he had a perfectly placed long ball to Roosevelt along the left sideline. Sure, not every throw was that good - but it's nice to see that he's got it in him.

hydro
08-17-2010, 07:19 AM
But...if he does well, will it be attributed to playing against scrubs, or if he does poorly will it be blamed on playing with scrubs?

Bias is a funny thing isn't it?

Turf
08-17-2010, 07:54 AM
I think to simulate the real NFL for any Bills QB and get him ready, they should have a rocket sled from NASA slam into him 2.5 secs after every snap. Once they learn to perform in that environment, we got our guy.

k-oneputt
08-17-2010, 07:58 AM
Agree this is Brohms Bills career Thurs. If he sucks azz against the backups he is in trouble. Because it seems to me that Gailey wants Trent and is going w' Trent unless Trent makes it impossible for him.

Jan Reimers
08-17-2010, 08:03 AM
Even the most irrational, ultra-impatient of us on here usually give our QBs more than one game before we crucify him.

Dujek
08-17-2010, 08:06 AM
I don't care which of the 4 QBs on the roster step up and make an impression, but I really hope one of them does.

I watched Brohm some when he was at college, and I thought he looked like a solid QB, something obviously went wrong for him at Green Bay, but it would be the first decent break the Bills have got in years if he works out in Buffalo.

Michael82
08-17-2010, 08:29 AM

I take it you are talking about the same QB that was just signed about a month before that game? Meaning that he had a month to study the playbook, work with the receivers, and get used to the offensive playcalls. How do you expect anyone to succeed under that situation?

better days
08-17-2010, 08:36 AM

You mean like Trent did the last game?

HHURRICANE
08-17-2010, 08:39 AM
This is certainly Brohm's time to shine. I was at the Atlanta game last year and it was just an awful performance. However, our line sucked, and no QB was going to light it up back there.

There are no excuses for him on Thrusday. None. I watched this Cruz kid at WR just light it up last night for the Giants and he was expected not to make the roster. Now it looks like even if it's not NY this kid will be playing somehwere soon.

You might say why does Edwards get a pass from me with the list of maladies on this team and Brohm doesn't. Simple. Edwards is good enough to prove to a new coaching staff, without any ties to the last regime, that he is still the most talented guy on the roster. That's why he's #1 currently. I'm going to listen to the coaching staff and not a bunch of posters here.

Brohm has to show that he's so good that he's worth upsetting the apple cart. The "what do we have to lose approach" rarely works in real life and no NFL coach is going to adopt that that logic. So Brohm basically has to prove he's ready to give this team a better option.

psubills62
08-17-2010, 08:41 AM

You may be on to something there...

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2009101101/2009/REG5/browns@bills

better days
08-17-2010, 08:45 AM
This is certainly Brohm's time to shine. I was at the Atlanta game last year and it was just an awful performance. However, our line sucked, and no QB was going to light it up back there.

There are no excuses for him on Thrusday. None. I watched this Cruz kid at WR just light it up last night for the Giants and he was expected not to make the roster. Now it looks like even if it's not NY this kid will be playing somehwere soon.

You might say why does Edwards get a pass from me with the list of maladies on this team and Brohm doesn't. Simple. Edwards is good enough to prove to a new coaching staff, without any ties to the last regime, that he is still the most talented guy on the roster. That's why he's #1 currently. I'm going to listen to the coaching staff and not a bunch of posters here.

Brohm has to show that he's so good that he's worth upsetting the apple cart. The "what do we have to lose approach" rarely works in real life and no NFL coach is going to adopt that that logic. So Brohm basically has to prove he's ready to give this team a better option.

Yeah Trent looked good in OTA's & practice as he always does. So far he has looked mediocre when facing another team as he always does.

HHURRICANE
08-17-2010, 08:46 AM
I take it you are talking about the same QB that was just signed about a month before that game? Meaning that he had a month to study the playbook, work with the receivers, and get used to the offensive playcalls. How do you expect anyone to succeed under that situation?

You mean like when Edwards made his first start against NY as a rookie with a week of prep and won the game with a 98.5 QB rating.

I like how people make excuses when it's convenient.

Trent didn't have two years in the league like Brohm did either.

ghz in pittsburgh
08-17-2010, 08:46 AM
http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2010/08/17/brohms-strengths/

So Thomas Gailey said the only issue with Brohm is the accuracy. Anyone ever played football knows that's one big issue, something often forcing the said player into playing a different position (like TE).

QB with accuracy are usually unraveled under pressure. now imagine someone does not have it to begin with. If you're the coach, every throw the guy make will be an adventure; a ball you don't know where it ends up. Just think of that if you are the coach...

I know he's not Trent. I just think people are falling into "anyone but Trent" right now.

HHURRICANE
08-17-2010, 08:50 AM
Yeah Trent looked good in OTA's & practice as he always does. So far he has looked mediocre when facing another team as he always does.

After 3 years his stats are still better than where Drew Brees was in his career.

I'd rather give the keys to the guy that odds say has a better chance of winning than a guy that is now struggling....again...to make a roster spot.

HHURRICANE
08-17-2010, 08:52 AM

So Thomas Gailey said the only issue with Brohm is the accuracy. Anyone ever played football knows that's one big issue, something often forcing the said player into playing a different position (like TE).

QB with accuracy are usually unraveled under pressure. now imagine someone does not have it to begin with. If you're the coach, every throw the guy make will be an adventure; a ball you don't know where it ends up. Just think of that if you are the coach...

I know he's not Trent. I just think people are falling into "anyone but Trent" right now.

Well said!!

hydro
08-17-2010, 08:56 AM
You mean like when Edwards made his first start against NY as a rookie with a week of prep and won the game with a 98.5 QB rating.

Wow this post is full of fail.

Brohm had been on the team for less than a MONTH. A week of prep work has nothing in common with being on the team for less than a month. Trent had been on the team all through OTA's and Training camp along with 4 preseason games.

Last year when he made his start he was on a totally different team with a different offense. I don't care how many years he had with GB. You just don't pick up a new offense in 4 weeks. No matter how you want to convince yourself otherwise.

Michael82
08-17-2010, 08:57 AM

How long did Edwards have the playbook for? How much work with the team did he do? How much practice?

Michael82
08-17-2010, 08:58 AM

Brohm had been on the team for less than a MONTH. A week of prep work has nothing in common with being on the team for less than a month. Trent had been on the team all through OTA's and Training camp along with 4 preseason games.

Last year when he made his start he was on a totally different team with a different offense. I don't care how many years he had with GB. You just don't pick up a new offense in 4 weeks. No matter how you want to convince yourself otherwise.

EXACTLY! Great post! :bf1:

better days
08-17-2010, 08:59 AM

Trent was in OTAs & Camp that year & learned the offense. Brohm was handed a playbook & that is about it.

hydro
08-17-2010, 09:00 AM
We might be falling into "anyone but Trent" category but anyone that still has hopes for Trent is falling into the same category as JP defenders of yesteryear. Hoping and praying to get blood out of a stone.

Michael82
08-17-2010, 09:00 AM

:gag: How many other games does Trent have without a TD? :ill:

Philagape
08-17-2010, 09:05 AM
How many QBs will light it up with only 6 weeks invested into a playbook and 1 week throwing to the starters?

Why is the choice between three points and "lighting it up"? Is one TD too much to ask for?

psubills62
08-17-2010, 09:05 AM

He said "continual accuracy." It sounds like Brohm needs to be more consistent, not that he's inaccurate in general.

Know what another big issue is? Not being able to read a defense.

Listen, I don't think anyone is against Edwards starting if he's the best QB on the roster. At this point, a lot of people just want to see how Brohm will play. He may look like a polished turd or he may look like a legitimate NFL QB. Considering Brohm's history, yes, the most likely answer is the former, but it sounds like he's developed significantly beyond where he was in Green Bay. Let's just see how it plays out.

All of our QB's have glaring flaws at this point, including Trent. If he's the best QB on the roster, then it will show in the games.

BillsWin
08-17-2010, 09:06 AM
Gailey was all over Brohm's nuts last night.

Brohm better not fail.

psubills62
08-17-2010, 09:08 AM

Spot on. And you didn't even mention that Brohm was the third-string QB in the middle of the season. He had zero help whatsoever in learning the playbook and taking reps until he was forced into being a starter.

Philagape
08-17-2010, 09:11 AM
Listen, I don't think anyone is against Edwards starting if he's the best QB on the roster.

I do.
A lot more goes into the debate than who's done the best. Some have always hated Edwards because they were pro-Losman, God help them.
Fitz is almost universally condemned despite the fact that the Bills did best with him last year. So people have their biases.

psubills62
08-17-2010, 09:15 AM
I do.
A lot more goes into the debate than who's done the best. Some have always hated Edwards because they were pro-Losman, God help them.
Fitz is almost universally condemned despite the fact that the Bills did best with him last year. So people have their biases.

I think the fact that Edwards hasn't proven himself outright to be the best QB has contributed to those biases.

Either way, the majority of people who are intrigued by or rooting for Brohm fall into the category I described.

HHURRICANE
08-17-2010, 09:18 AM

Brohm had a 43.2 QB rating, 0 TDs, 2INTs. I was at the game in Atlanta and I have to read a post that said he had a "nice spiral."

Trents' first game as a Bill was a win and 98.5 QB rating. Brohm's first game was a loss and a 43.2 QB rating.

That's a fact. If we want to go down the road of "why someone didn't play well" than go back and watch the first pre-season game when after the first series Edwards had between 1.8 seconds and 3.2 seconds to get rid of the ball.

mikemac2001
08-17-2010, 09:23 AM
The issue with the whole brohm Atlanta game, is he was playing on the scout team the whole month then actually ran our offense for one week. He wasn't even getting reps with our playbook

****ing idiots give the guy a real chance if he fails he fails. Trent doesn't have it atleast brees looked like a qb

I know bc I followed brees since
College.

Trent hasn't been the same since that hit in Arizona and I doubt he gets it back.

HHURRICANE
08-17-2010, 09:24 AM
Gailey was all over Brohm's nuts last night.

Brohm better not fail.

I watched the inetrview and I didn't see it that way. He made a point of saying he's not accurate which I though was revealing on why this guy isn't further up on the depth chart.

I actually think we are going through the motions here at this point. I think Brohm will be done as an option after Thursday.

I don't hate Brohm and I would love nothing more than for him to surprise everyone and throw for 3 TDs and look great. I met his family last year and he couldn't have a nicer family. It's hard not to root for him.

My biased comes from the fact that I just don't think he can do the job and I've seen nothing, so far, that tells me otherwise.

ddaryl
08-17-2010, 09:27 AM
If he moves the ball well I won't care if it's agianst scrubs, because nobdoy else has moved the ball well agianst scrubs yet either.

I hope the light comes on, but anything that remotely represents consistency will have me screaming for the guy to start the next game

HHURRICANE
08-17-2010, 09:30 AM
If he moves the ball well I won't care if it's agianst scrubs, because nobdoy else has moved the ball well agianst scrubs yet either.

I hope the light comes on, but anything that remotely represents consistency will have me screaming for the guy to start the next game

Totally agree. Anybody that help us win games is who I want playing. If all of a sudden the light bulb goes off in Brohm's head and figures out a way to light it up, all the power to him.

psubills62
08-17-2010, 09:32 AM
I watched the inetrview and I didn't see it that way. He made a point of saying he's not accurate which I though was revealing on why this guy isn't further up on the depth chart.

No he didn't. He said he needs to work on "continual accuracy." That tells me he needs to work on consistency. He also made a point to say 1) continual accuracy is his ONLY issue, and 2) he understands defenses, which is an ability most of our other QB's have not shown.

Philagape
08-17-2010, 09:44 AM
I was at the game in Atlanta

Do you have this on a save key?

Who the hell cares?

Self-promotion like that contributes to the notion held by some that you are not to be taken seriously.

HHURRICANE
08-17-2010, 09:48 AM
Do you have this on a save key?

Who the hell cares?

Self-promotion like that contributes to the notion held by some that you are not to be taken seriously.

Well I was and the games looks alot different...as you know. I didn't realize how bad Hardy was running routes until I saw him at the Jets game. It does give you a different perspective. Should I lie to placate the posters here?

HHURRICANE
08-17-2010, 09:52 AM
No he didn't. He said he needs to work on "continual accuracy." That tells me he needs to work on consistency. He also made a point to say 1) continual accuracy is his ONLY issue, and 2) he understands defenses, which is an ability most of our other QB's have not shown.

Okay, he also implied that Brohm is the answer that we have been waiting for.

Matter-of-fact if you listen to his southern inflections you can remotely make out him inferring that this guy may be the best QB he has ever worked with.

I think secretly he has been stashing Brohm at the #3 spot as to not give away our secret weapon too soon.

Thursday is going to be AWESOME!!!! Yes...yes..yes.yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

justasportsfan
08-17-2010, 09:59 AM
HH is a Trent licker. I don't believe anything he says he sees.

Philagape
08-17-2010, 10:02 AM
Well I was and the games looks alot different...as you know. I didn't realize how bad Hardy was running routes until I saw him at the Jets game. It does give you a different perspective. Should I lie to placate the posters here?

I think a spiral is a spiral on TV too. That's why I waited until the, oh, 10th mention of it to say something.

psubills62
08-17-2010, 10:07 AM
Okay, he also implied that Brohm is the answer that we have been waiting for.

Matter-of-fact if you listen to his southern inflections you can remotely make out him inferring that this guy may be the best QB he has ever worked with.

I think secretly he has been stashing Brohm at the #3 spot as to not give away our secret weapon too soon.

Thursday is going to be AWESOME!!!! Yes...yes..yes.yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:yawn:

Are you really resorting to this? These kinds of arguments are how 10 year-olds respond to people who just proved them wrong.

Read my other posts, and you'll see that in terms of Brohm's future endeavors, we see more eye-to-eye than you would think.

Despite your efforts to zero in on the one negative Gailey mentioned in the video, Gailey did praise Brohm quite a bit. And the fact that he said it was his only issue seems to indicate that Brohm is developing. Whether 1) he's developed enough to be a legitimate option during the season, or 2) he can transfer his decent play to the football field has yet to be seen.

Let me ask you something - how good would he have to play on Thursday for you to admit that he could possibly be decent in the NFL? I know I'd personally have to see a high completion percentage (60-70 %), and at least 1 TD pass or sustained TD drive.

hydro
08-17-2010, 10:10 AM
I watched 7 home games last year and I am sick of waiting for Edwards to clear the fog in his head. I gave up on JP after hoping he would get better and after that experience I can safely say Edwards is in the same boat. Of course there are no definitives in this world but I am about 99% sure.

jmb1099
08-17-2010, 10:14 AM
Practice is one thing, game time is something entirely different. Anyone that has ever played any sport knows this to be true. I don't know if Brohm can be successful or not, but I do expect him to play better than Fitzpatrick or Edwards did. In fact, I expect Edwards and Fitzpatrick to play better than they initially did as well.

As far as accuracy or consistency is concerned, I don't think anyone would say we have seen those qualities from Edwards or Fitzpatrick and I dare say that Fitzpatrick has never displayed those qualities his entire career. On the other hand, Edwards did display both of those qualities pre-hit. He has yet to demonstrate that he has regained either since then.
I am in the camp that we have an unsettled mystery with Brohm. Amazing college career, disaster at Greenbay (for wahtever reason), and for he sake of the insane I'll include the Falcons game. Let's break this down:
1) No one really knows what happened at Green Bay. He obviously sucked it up and was relegated to the Practice Squad. One could argue that he was simply that terrible and that is the end of story and that could very well be. Or it could also be that he just wasn't given the proper time to develop. We've all witnessed our fair share of players on our roster that have been cut only to go on and play well for someone else. It doesn't happen all the time, but it does happen. It could just as easily be argued that most that are cut end up as scrubs. My point isn't to say that its one way or the other. My point is simply that we don't know yet and anyone who claims they do is just trying to get some message board fame with a lucky guess.
2) The Atlanta game... really? There is no way anyone should hang any hope on this game or look to find excessive blame. It has already been established very well in this thread the conditions that Brohm was asked to start with. Did anyone really expect a miracle given those conditions? The Atlanta game was a wash an no one on either side of the argument should even consider it a viable point. Anyone that does is grasping at straws to find a point that isn't really there.
3) Which brings us to what really matters and that is game time. The title of the thread is accurate. It is Brohm's opportunity to prove he's an NFL QB or a scrub and its the first real opportunity for the fans to see for themselves who he really is. If he performs well and does so the rest of the preseason, and if the other two QB's continue to struggle, than Gailey has his first real test as the Bills Head coach and that is simply this: Can he keep his word? If this is in fact still an open competition (and it would be foolish for it not to be given the skins game), and Brohm outplays Edwards and Fitzpatrick, will Gailey have the guts to keep his word? If not we are in for another gutless, uninspired season. Either way let's hope someone steps up, I am so tired of saying "Next Year"

justasportsfan
08-17-2010, 10:18 AM
After watching all four qb's throw the ball at camp last night, Trent looked like the 4th qb. Thing is, the other 3 aren't scared to throw between defenders. They weren't scared to throw into tight spaces. Trent hesitates . He waits for the wr to get open instead of trusting wr to get open.

I hope Levi is a fast learner. Easily the best arm and you couldn't tell he was the rookie amongst the qb's.

HHURRICANE
08-17-2010, 10:24 AM
:yawn:

Are you really resorting to this? These kinds of arguments are how 10 year-olds respond to people who just proved them wrong.

Read my other posts, and you'll see that in terms of Brohm's future endeavors, we see more eye-to-eye than you would think.

Despite your efforts to zero in on the one negative Gailey mentioned in the video, Gailey did praise Brohm quite a bit. And the fact that he said it was his only issue seems to indicate that Brohm is developing. Whether 1) he's developed enough to be a legitimate option during the season, or 2) he can transfer his decent play to the football field has yet to be seen.

Let me ask you something - how good would he have to play on Thursday for you to admit that he could possibly be decent in the NFL? I know I'd personally have to see a high completion percentage (60-70 %), and at least 1 TD pass or sustained TD drive.

I think you are missing my point. I would love to see Brohm develop and play well. What I am saying is that the QB competition is already closed so everyone hoping for some miracle are going to be in for a big disppointment no matter how well Brohm plays.

The fix is in so over reading into Gaileys presser is just exasperating everyones frustration. I watched the same presser and I came away thinking that Brohm might be off the team if he isn't great. Not that he has a legitimate shot at displacing Edwards.

HHURRICANE
08-17-2010, 10:27 AM
Practice is one thing, game time is something entirely different. Anyone that has ever played any sport knows this to be true. I don't know if Brohm can be successful or not, but I do expect him to play better than Fitzpatrick or Edwards did. In fact, I expect Edwards and Fitzpatrick to play better than they initially did as well.

As far as accuracy or consistency is concerned, I don't think anyone would say we have seen those qualities from Edwards or Fitzpatrick and I dare say that Fitzpatrick has never displayed those qualities his entire career. On the other hand, Edwards did display both of those qualities pre-hit. He has yet to demonstrate that he has regained either since then.
I am in the camp that we have an unsettled mystery with Brohm. Amazing college career, disaster at Greenbay (for wahtever reason), and for he sake of the insane I'll include the Falcons game. Let's break this down:
1) No one really knows what happened at Green Bay. He obviously sucked it up and was relegated to the Practice Squad. One could argue that he was simply that terrible and that is the end of story and that could very well be. Or it could also be that he just wasn't given the proper time to develop. We've all witnessed our fair share of players on our roster that have been cut only to go on and play well for someone else. It doesn't happen all the time, but it does happen. It could just as easily be argued that most that are cut end up as scrubs. My point isn't to say that its one way or the other. My point is simply that we don't know yet and anyone who claims they do is just trying to get some message board fame with a lucky guess.
2) The Atlanta game... really? There is no way anyone should hang any hope on this game or look to find excessive blame. It has already been established very well in this thread the conditions that Brohm was asked to start with. Did anyone really expect a miracle given those conditions? The Atlanta game was a wash an no one on either side of the argument should even consider it a viable point. Anyone that does is grasping at straws to find a point that isn't really there.
3) Which brings us to what really matters and that is game time. The title of the thread is accurate. It is Brohm's opportunity to prove he's an NFL QB or a scrub and its the first real opportunity for the fans to see for themselves who he really is. If he performs well and does so the rest of the preseason, and if the other two QB's continue to struggle, than Gailey has his first real test as the Bills Head coach and that is simply this: Can he keep his word? If this is in fact still an open competition (and it would be foolish for it not to be given the skins game), and Brohm outplays Edwards and Fitzpatrick, will Gailey have the guts to keep his word? If not we are in for another gutless, uninspired season. Either way let's hope someone steps up, I am so tired of saying "Next Year"

Well written. I don't think the Atlanat game was a fair assessment either. However I found it ironic that Brohm gets excuses but Edwards does not. I was pointing out the double standard.

psubills62
08-17-2010, 10:29 AM
I think you are missing my point. I would love to see Brohm develop and play well. What I am saying is that the QB competition is already closed so everyone hoping for some miracle are going to be in for a big disppointment no matter how well Brohm plays.

The fix is in so over reading into Gaileys presser is just exasperating everyones frustration. I watched the same presser and I came away thinking that Brohm might be off the team if he isn't great. Not that he has a legitimate shot at displacing Edwards.

I would say that you're correct for the most part. Edwards would really have to flop for anyone else to truly be considered. I'm thinking of Brohm in terms of winning the backup job. But you know that our #2 will be playing in games when Edwards gets injured.

psubills62
08-17-2010, 10:32 AM
Well written. I don't think the Atlanat game was a fair assessment either. However I found it ironic that Brohm gets excuses but Edwards does not. I was pointing out the double standard.

Edwards didn't get excuses? He got plenty in 2007, 2008, and 2009. He doesn't get the benefit of the doubt anymore. Brohm hasn't started 30 regular season games like Trent has. If he gets to that point and plays like Edwards has, he won't get excuses either.

HHURRICANE
08-17-2010, 10:38 AM
Edwards didn't get excuses? He got plenty in 2007, 2008, and 2009. He doesn't get the benefit of the doubt anymore. Brohm hasn't started 30 regular season games like Trent has. If he gets to that point and plays like Edwards has, he won't get excuses either.

There are very few QBs that could have survived the chaos on the o-line. Think about the fact that Edwards has not had a cohesive line since he's been here. The entire line last year was brand new.

Fairchild, Schonert, Alex Van Pelt?!?!? Than you disbandon the entire playbook the week before the opener and cut your starting LT.

I think Edwards turned into a flaming pussy last year so he's not exactly high on my list right now either but the guys has been through some serious BS. I think he deserves a little benefit of the doubt.

psubills62
08-17-2010, 10:43 AM
There are very few QBs that could have survived the chaos on the o-line. Think about the fact that Edwards has not had a cohesive line since he's been here. The entire line last year was brand new.

Fairchild, Schonert, Alex Van Pelt?!?!? Than you disbandon the entire playbook the week before the opener and cut your starting LT.

I think Edwards turned into a flaming pussy last year so he's not exactly high on my list right now either but the guys has been through some serious BS. I think he deserves a little benefit of the doubt.

A tiny bit, yes. That's why a lot of people were talking about how they hope Gailey can do something with Edwards. But at this point our OL is about as crappy as last year's. I think people would be more comfortable with Edwards if they had seen something from him when he does get time to throw. But whether or not he has time, he doesn't perform well.

I still have confidence that Gailey can make Edwards look better than the previous coaches. That doesn't say too much though.

justasportsfan
08-17-2010, 10:47 AM
HH is using the same excuses people made for JP, a qb he blasted.

ghz in pittsburgh
08-17-2010, 10:49 AM
He said "continual accuracy." It sounds like Brohm needs to be more consistent, not that he's inaccurate in general.

Know what another big issue is? Not being able to read a defense.

Listen, I don't think anyone is against Edwards starting if he's the best QB on the roster. At this point, a lot of people just want to see how Brohm will play. He may look like a polished turd or he may look like a legitimate NFL QB. Considering Brohm's history, yes, the most likely answer is the former, but it sounds like he's developed significantly beyond where he was in Green Bay. Let's just see how it plays out.

All of our QB's have glaring flaws at this point, including Trent. If he's the best QB on the roster, then it will show in the games.

I gave you a simple read. It's just my story.

QB in NFL has the "it" factor - not the arm strength, the accuracy, the measurables. When the likes of Manning, Brady first came on stage, they may not do well but you can see that they have "it". I'm not old enough to see Kelly when he first came to the Bills. But I saw Flutie has it when he sub-ed for RJ in that Chargers' game near the end (supposed to the beginning of RJ era in Buffalo). I saw some of it in Bledsow in his first game with the Bills even though he's well established guy at that time. And I think most of you will agree, Edwards wowed a lot of us in his very first start subbing for Losman in New England.

I never see it from Collins, Losman, a bunch of backup guys, and certainly not Brohm from last year. I remember the excitement of anticipating the Atlanta game last year because I was hoping to have another experience like when Trent steps in for Losman even though I don't expect a win. I knew he had only a month on the roster. I just want to see that part of him not disguised by the playbook. I came away disappointed.

Trust me you guys are not pining for Brohm because he's so good. If the Bills didn't draft Brown and had a vet QB in camp like Garcia or a Leftwitch like the Steelers signed, you would all be calling for that person to start right now.

better days
08-17-2010, 10:53 AM

I'm glad I didn't have a mouth full of beer in my mouth when I read this post or it would be all over my monitor when I laughed.

Trent,s BIGGEST EXCUSE maker claiming Trent does not get excuses TOO FUNNY.

DraftBoy
08-17-2010, 10:53 AM
Spiller for QB!!

ZAZusmc03
08-17-2010, 11:51 AM
Spiller for QB!!

/enddiscussion

Nighthawk
08-17-2010, 12:12 PM

Agreed...the stupidity of some fans is alarming!

JCBills
08-17-2010, 01:32 PM

Ugh I was at that game, first home game I've been up there for in about 8 years, and it was so ugly. At least I saw Byrd's first INT.

HHURRICANE
08-17-2010, 01:35 PM
I'm glad I didn't have a mouth full of beer in my mouth when I read this post or it would be all over my monitor when I laughed.

Trent,s BIGGEST EXCUSE maker claiming Trent does not get excuses TOO FUNNY.

I don't make excuses, just point out the facts. He took his benching like a pussy and I called him out for not being a leader.

I think I was the first to say that the INT last week was totally on him where others said Evans should have come back to the ball.

It's easier for people to generalize than to look at the facts. My argumnet is better than "it's not Edwards", "anything but Edwards", blah,blah, blah.....

JCBills
08-17-2010, 01:37 PM
Why is the choice between three points and "lighting it up"? Is one TD too much to ask for?

Well, had T.O. not been checked out for the season, he probably would have had a TD. It was a bit behind him, but T.O. 3 years ago would have adjusted to it and ripped it down for the TD.

Last year, Trent threw two passes that traveled 40+ yds in the air. Brohm matched that total in one game, he was at least trying to get it to his receivers deep. Even then, T.O.'s and Lee's reception total for the day was well above their average for the year, and I think that says something.

JCBills
08-17-2010, 01:38 PM

You mean like when Edwards had a full OTA session and training camp under his belt heading into the season? Trent knew the offense by then. Brohm had 6 weeks to learn it. Come on now.

HHURRICANE
08-17-2010, 01:43 PM
You mean like when Edwards had a full OTA session and training camp under his belt heading into the season? Trent knew the offense by then. Brohm had 6 weeks to learn it. Come on now.

Your the late to the party. Already explained why I threw that out there.

Let's wait til Thursday. Brohm and Edwards will have no excuses.

Brohm is "very smart and knows where to throw the ball".

JCBills
08-17-2010, 01:43 PM

I actually think we are going through the motions here at this point. I think Brohm will be done as an option after Thursday.

I don't hate Brohm and I would love nothing more than for him to surprise everyone and throw for 3 TDs and look great. I met his family last year and he couldn't have a nicer family. It's hard not to root for him.

My biased comes from the fact that I just don't think he can do the job and I've seen nothing, so far, that tells me otherwise.

He said he needs to work on being consistently accurate, not that he's inaccurate, which is something basically every QB is always working on.

HHURRICANE
08-17-2010, 01:46 PM
He said he needs to work on being consistently accurate, not that he's inaccurate, which is something basically every QB is always working on.

Let's wait til Thursday.

JCBills
08-17-2010, 01:50 PM
Let's wait til Thursday.

To point out misconceptions? Trust me I'm getting antsy for this next game.

better days
08-17-2010, 01:52 PM

A post full of EXCUSES for the QB that doesn't get excuses according to you.

HHURRICANE
08-17-2010, 01:57 PM
A post full of EXCUSES for the QB that doesn't get excuses according to you.

Seems like Chan Gailey agrees with me.

JCBills
08-17-2010, 02:01 PM

Here we are:

Head coach Chan Gailey was asked to outline Brian Brohm’s strengths. Here was his response.
“He’s very smart. He know where to go with the football. He’s got good velocity on the ball. He just needs to work on continual accuracy,” said Gailey. ”That’s really been his only issue. He’s got good intelligence for football and understands defenses, which is part of playing quarterback, you’ve got to understand defense.”

better days
08-17-2010, 02:05 PM
Seems like Chan Gailey agrees with me.

Well in the last game Trent led the Bills to only 3 points in almost a full half of football. We will see how long Chan tolerates that kind of production.

JCBills
08-17-2010, 02:11 PM
:gag: How many other games does Trent have without a TD? :ill:

10, not counting the games he's been knocked out of.

Buffalogic
08-17-2010, 02:37 PM
I'd love for Brohm to be a good player, but he isn't and the sooner he proves that (again), the sooner we can stop listening to these pitiful fans grasping at straws trying to turn a scrub into a savior. It's pathetic really. There's a reason why everyone else laughs at us.

justasportsfan
08-17-2010, 02:55 PM
I'd love for Brohm to be a good player, but he isn't and the sooner he proves that (again), the sooner we can stop listening to these pitiful fans grasping at straws trying to turn a scrub into a savior. It's pathetic really. There's a reason why everyone else laughs at us.

we don't have ANY good qb's on the roster. Question is, which was has the higher ceiling in terms of improvement?

Bill Cody
08-17-2010, 03:05 PM

We're not debating Brohm vs Manning and Brady. Tell me on what basis you're calling Edwards and Fitz anything other than scrubs? Guess what? You can't. So come down off your high horse. We don't have a QB. We get it. We're trying to find some lipstick to put on the right pig. Sue us.

Buffalogic
08-17-2010, 03:27 PM
We're not debating Brohm vs Manning and Brady. Tell me on what basis you're calling Edwards and Fitz anything other than scrubs? Guess what? You can't. So come down off your high horse. We don't have a QB. We get it. We're trying to find some lipstick to put on the right pig. Sue us.Then don't put it on the ******ed pig, put it on the best pig you've got and take her to the fair.

You have a Drew Bledsoe avatar.

better days
08-17-2010, 05:03 PM
Then don't put it on the ******ed pig, put it on the best pig you've got and take her to the fair.

Well the Bills haven't had a QB as good as Bledsoe since he went to Dallas..................pretty SAD.

JCBills
08-17-2010, 05:06 PM
Then don't put it on the ******ed pig, put it on the best pig you've got and take her to the fair.

Of course, and we don't know which is the best or worst yet. I think throwing 10 yds or less 77% of the time could be considered ******ed behavior for a QB, so I'm not sure where that was going.

Michael82
08-17-2010, 05:22 PM
10, not counting the games he's been knocked out of.

That's horrible! :puke:

Bill Cody
08-18-2010, 09:55 AM

I know what my avatar is- the guy with 10 Bills passing records and the last real QB we've had. Your "best pig" has the world record for most consecutive throws under 5 yards. When you say "take her to the fair" I agree with that completely for 2 reasons:

1) glad you acknowledge Edwards is a she and

2) you take a pig to the fair to be slaughtered, that's what the likely outcome is for us with Edwards under center.

BTW, speaking of avatars, Wagon Circler makes sense for you, most of your posts go in circles.

Ron Burgundy
08-18-2010, 12:09 PM
Let's not get it twisted.

There is no reason to love Drew Bledsoe. He's another in a very long list of also-rans; subpar quarterbacks who did not get us over the hump. The fact that he's like the fifth best (or so) quarterback ever to play for the Bills speaks volumes of our ****ty quarterback play since Kelly retired. We should be able to get away from speaking about the guy, since 1) he's been retired for years, and 2) he was a mediocre quarterback anyways.

There is no reason to love Trent Edwards. He has proved, time and again, that he just doesn't have what it takes to be a badass in the NFL. He's the best of a very bad bunch right now, but he hasn't shown that he can be an effective starter since he had his bell rung by Adrian Wilson. Unfortunately, he seems to be the best option that Buffalo has.

There is no reason to love Ryan Fitzpatrick. He has provided a spark in spots, mostly due to the fact that he's got more guts than Edwards and is willing to take some chances. However, Fitzy is not all that talented physically and he's also shown that he's no long term, viable starter.

There is no reason to love Brian Brohm. I'm not sure why this is even an option, but apparently this must be repeated endlessly. Brohm regressed his senior year of college, was drafted and subsequently placed on a practice squad because he was unable to muster enough talent or potential to fight off Matt Flynn for a backup job in Green Bay, was bypassed by the rest of the league, signed by Buffalo, where to date he has shown exactly the same thing he has shown the rest of his NFL career: that there is no reason whatsoever to think he can nail down a backup quarterback job in this league, much less be a starter for any team.

jmb1099
08-18-2010, 03:10 PM
Calling other fans pitiful is pitiful. For the record you can stop listening now. Rather clicking on the thread you can just choose not to click and voila! Problem solved.
The reason everyone else laughs at us is that we haven't played a meaningful game in nearly 11 years, something the fans have nothing to do with.

jmb1099
08-18-2010, 03:31 PM
The word love is an interesting choice. In the case of Bledsoe, Edwards, and Fitzpatrick I think it fits very well as I see their time here as either over or close to being over. They obviously haven't given us any reason to love them and so off with their heads.

I agree with you that Brohm doesn't deserve fan love yet either, but does he deserve a shot? At this point only the most ridiculous fool would say no, so lets assume that most of us agree that he should at least get a shot. While this also shouldn't result in fan love, it most certainly does result in fan hope. How can anyone not hope he does better than the other two clowns that played Friday? It's not like we have a number of free-agents to choose from, nor is Levi going to turn into Peyton Manning overnight (if ever) So fan hope is justified.
Which brings us to expectations. You mentioned his college career and I guess if you can use it as a foundation for your point than I will use it for mine. Brohm's "bad" numbers are better than many qb's good numbers. You mentioned he regressed and that is accurate. But we've all read by now that there were potential reasons for the drop in performance. I will fully admit that one man's reasons are another man's excuses so I'll save you the trouble of pointing that out. Then there's the greenbay flop and I have no trouble calling it that. I don't know what really happened there, but he sucked badly enough to get relegated to the practice squad. So I can see why you and others would expect him to fail. However, I expect him to outperform the other two clowns tomorrow which may or may not lead to sustained success. So no love, but you better hope he can because if not we're in for an even worse year than last.

There is no reason to love Drew Bledsoe. He's another in a very long list of also-rans; subpar quarterbacks who did not get us over the hump. The fact that he's like the fifth best (or so) quarterback ever to play for the Bills speaks volumes of our ****ty quarterback play since Kelly retired. We should be able to get away from speaking about the guy, since 1) he's been retired for years, and 2) he was a mediocre quarterback anyways.

There is no reason to love Trent Edwards. He has proved, time and again, that he just doesn't have what it takes to be a badass in the NFL. He's the best of a very bad bunch right now, but he hasn't shown that he can be an effective starter since he had his bell rung by Adrian Wilson. Unfortunately, he seems to be the best option that Buffalo has.

There is no reason to love Ryan Fitzpatrick. He has provided a spark in spots, mostly due to the fact that he's got more guts than Edwards and is willing to take some chances. However, Fitzy is not all that talented physically and he's also shown that he's no long term, viable starter.

There is no reason to love Brian Brohm. I'm not sure why this is even an option, but apparently this must be repeated endlessly. Brohm regressed his senior year of college, was drafted and subsequently placed on a practice squad because he was unable to muster enough talent or potential to fight off Matt Flynn for a backup job in Green Bay, was bypassed by the rest of the league, signed by Buffalo, where to date he has shown exactly the same thing he has shown the rest of his NFL career: that there is no reason whatsoever to think he can nail down a backup quarterback job in this league, much less be a starter for any team.

JCBills
08-18-2010, 03:49 PM

Who loves Brohm? All anyone has ever said is they want to see him in a regular season game (even then, one game wouldn't really be fair) without ridiculous circumstances, but apparently this mus be repeated endlessly. We've seen the other two in regular season games with a full offseason of preparation under their belt. To be fair this is again a new system, and who knows maybe Trent or Fitz can somehow light it up in this offense, Trent's 30 starts and Fitz's 23 could end up distant memories. That happens about as often as someone who hasn't had a legit shot yet or has been cut at some point steps in and plays well. Some think that the Trent/Fitz option is extremely unlikely because they haven't been good since high school, and are yet to be good having had multiple chances to break out. Others think the Brohm option is unlikely because he flopped when he first came into the league, for reasons which we can only speculate on. Either way, nobody really knows who will do what until the regular season, despite several posters regularly speaking in definite terms. There is no Brohm love, just hope. Fans are allowed to have hope, if every Bills fan was hopeless, the stadium wouldn't be packed every sunday during a decade-long playoff drought.

Buffalogic
08-19-2010, 12:11 AM
I haven't played in a regular season game, let's give me the start at QB because I'm an unknown wildcard that could have a high ceiling!

That's the argument for Brohm and it stinks.

better days
08-19-2010, 12:31 AM
I haven't played in a regular season game, let's give me the start at QB because I'm an unknown wildcard that could have a high ceiling!

No, the arguement for Brohm is Chan said the job was OPEN. In other words Trent has not earned it yet & if Trent plays as bad Thursday as last week, I would hope Chan drops him in the pecking order.

mikemac2001
08-19-2010, 01:00 AM
I'm excited

If Trent fails and brohm shows something then maybe we got something

If Trent steps up that's great also but if he blows again idk how people can keep defending him he is doing the same shot over and over

Holds on to the ball
Indecisive
Doesn't take chances
Poor decisions while pressured
Cant play against a 3-4

Buffalogic
08-19-2010, 01:08 AM
No, the arguement for Brohm is Chan said the job was OPEN. In other words Trent has not earned it yet & if Trent plays as bad Thursday as last week, I would hope Chan drops him in the pecking order.Do you really think the job is open when Trent is going in as the starter every game? Only Brohm and Fitz have to alternate to play in the games, not as the starter, but as the backup....

It's not an open competition for the starting job, it's an open competition for the second in line. Brohm or Fitz will be cut. Trent will start. I'll eat all the crow you are willing to serve up if that doesn't happen. But it will.

better days
08-19-2010, 01:20 AM
Do you really think the job is open when Trent is going in as the starter every game? Only Brohm and Fitz have to alternate to play in the games, not as the starter, but as the backup....

It's not an open competition for the starting job, it's an open competition for the second in line. Brohm or Fitz will be cut. Trent will start. I'll eat all the crow you are willing to serve up if that doesn't happen. But it will.

Every game? So far they have played only one. Trent will start the next as well by all indications, but as I said if he only puts up 3 points in a half of football as he did last week, I would hope he does not start the game after that or any more for that matter.

Trent may well go into the season as the starter, but if he does, I will not watch the Bills games myself until 4PM after I watch an exciting game.The Bills will be my 4PM game until Trent is injured or benched.

Buffalogic
08-19-2010, 01:24 AM
Every game? So far they have played only one. Trent will start the next as well by all indications, but as I said if he only puts up 3 points in a half of football as he did last week, I would hope he does not start the game after that or any more for that matter.

Trent may well go into the season as the starter, but if he does, I will not watch the Bills games myself until 4PM after I watch an exciting game.The Bills will be my 4PM game until Trent is injured or benched.What team spirit you have! Man you really hate Trent.

better days
08-19-2010, 01:33 AM
What team spirit you have! Man you really hate Trent.

I don't hate him as a person, I just can't stand the BORING games with him at QB. When was the last time Trent brought excitement to a Bills game? I would say the 1st game of last year. I will watch the opener against Miami live, but unless he shows me something in that game, the rest will be 4PM for me.

Ron Burgundy
08-19-2010, 08:45 AM

It is a really, really, REALLY weak argument, and it's unfortunately the only logical one that's ever presented. I'll be glad when we finally get a quarterback and we're not discussing the likes of Brian Brohm as a viable starter. Jesus.