PDA

View Full Version : Bills a bust in Toronto

Michael82
08-17-2010, 08:54 AM
Whatever was supposed to happen with this deal, hasn't. There is no more connection to the Bills than there is to any other NFL team here. And if Rogers could get out of this expensive arrangement now, it's almost certain it would. Ackles had it wrong: This has been a financial boon for the Bills, but an unmitigated disaster for Rogers and Toronto.

http://www.fannation.com/truth_and_rumors/view/215170-bills-a-bust-in-toronto

Pinkerton Security
08-17-2010, 08:56 AM
well i kinda want to laugh and say F you Toronto, but i still want fans in Toronto to support the Bills...we need that fan base.

Michael82
08-17-2010, 09:02 AM
well i kinda want to laugh and say F you Toronto, but i still want fans in Toronto to support the Bills...we need that fan base.

Yeah we need that fanbase....to come to Buffalo! Which is what is happening. The price is too expensive for them in Toronto and the fact that tailgating is banned...so the fans come to Buffalo for the home games instead. :up:

Oh and I will say it...

:lolpoint: Rogers

**** You, Toronto! Leave our team alone!

HHURRICANE
08-17-2010, 09:04 AM
I hate Canadians unless they are in Buffalo. :couch:

trapezeus
08-17-2010, 09:09 AM
i hope the nfl is paying attention. just because cities are large doesn't mean they are willing to be gouged to death to watch a sport.

The cautionary tales on why not to jump back into LA are staring them in the face.

OpIv37
08-17-2010, 09:16 AM
i hope the nfl is paying attention. just because cities are large doesn't mean they are willing to be gouged to death to watch a sport.

The cautionary tales on why not to jump back into LA are staring them in the face.
Yeah but LA lost the quality of their pro football team when the NCAA hit USC with all those sanctions. As much as I'm relishing in USC's woes, it does make LA more attractive to the NFL.

Jan Reimers
08-17-2010, 09:25 AM
It's great! We suck so bad that Toronto has no interest in us.

ddaryl
08-17-2010, 09:29 AM
if we actually had an excitnig team to watch then Toronto would have opened up to us IMO... and they would have intensified there attempt to buy the team out from under us.

This is a blessing for Bills fans as it shows Toronto is not ready for prime time NFL football...

T

trapezeus
08-17-2010, 09:33 AM
the nfl will justify a team in LA by saying, "look, the bills situation didn' work because the average fan had a cheaper alternative of traveling to buffalo. So of course they didn't buy the high end ticket."

I agree Op, the USC thing stings. but they lost two teams already. TWO! If the bills lose one after selling out for so long, they might never bring a team back here. Yet these so called wunderkind NFL execs, want to bring football back to a region that let it go so willingly TWICE? Am I on crazy pills?

And another thing, just like with NHL, buffalo's area of ratings for football games it typically higher than the national average. Guess how the rate is set when a major network locks in. It's based on the ratings. the higher the ratings the better the price the NFL gets. If that's where a bulk of their money comes from, they might want to consider very carefully which segment they piss off.

Jan Reimers
08-17-2010, 09:42 AM
LA will get a team. It is not just the second(?) biggest TV market in the country, but a glamor spot and a bottomless pit of money. The greedy bastards that run the NFL will HAVE to put a team there.

But it doesn't have to be the Bills. As long as we remain viable, with a full stadium every week and net revenue in the top half of the league, there will be better candidates for relocation in Jacksonville, Minnesota and other places.

Extremebillsfan247
08-17-2010, 10:21 AM
Whatever was supposed to happen with this deal, hasn't. There is no more connection to the Bills than there is to any other NFL team here. And if Rogers could get out of this expensive arrangement now, it's almost certain it would. Ackles had it wrong: This has been a financial boon for the Bills, but an unmitigated disaster for Rogers and Toronto.

http://www.fannation.com/truth_and_rumors/view/215170-bills-a-bust-in-toronto An actual winning franchise might help here. It's kind of hard to build a fan base in any market when you can't win. That goes for any pro sports franchise period. What else would you expect after watching this team play over the last decade? Struggling to put butts in the seats in Toronto is hardly surprising with this organization to this point. Only winning can change that.

Forward_Lateral
08-17-2010, 10:44 AM
Maybe if they didn't charge outrageous prices for tickets, people would go to TO to see them. Why would I pay double what I'd pay in Buffalo, to watch them indoors? It makes no sense. I'd rather go roughly the same distance, and see them in Buffalo, outdoors, how Bills football should be played.

more cowbell
08-17-2010, 10:54 AM
LA will get a team. It is not just the second(?) biggest TV market in the country, but a glamor spot and a bottomless pit of money. The greedy bastards that run the NFL will HAVE to put a team there.

But it doesn't have to be the Bills. As long as we remain viable, with a full stadium every week and net revenue in the top half of the league, there will be better candidates for relocation in Jacksonville, Minnesota and other places.

If Toronto was in the United States it would be the second-largest TV market. Population wise it's bigger than LA, Chicago, Phoenix etc....but that doesnt make up for their lack of support for NFL football.

Jan Reimers
08-17-2010, 10:58 AM
If Toronto was in the United States it would be the second-largest TV market. Population wise it's bigger than LA, Chicago, Phoenix etc....but that doesnt make up for their lack of support for NFL football.
This has WHAT to do with my opinion that LA will inevitably get another NFL franchise?

better days
08-17-2010, 11:24 AM
This has WHAT to do with my opinion that LA will inevitably get another NFL franchise?

I think he is correctly saying LA Supports the NFL about as well as Toronto.

ghz in pittsburgh
08-17-2010, 11:29 AM
A lot of Bills players won't be happy that there is no games in T.O. I know Trent meets that dark haired beauty every time in Toronto. Something tells me that he's going to have a good game this Thursday.

Jan Reimers
08-17-2010, 11:35 AM
I think he is correctly saying LA Supports the NFL about as well as Toronto.
Everyone knows that, but ultimately it won't matter. LA is too big and powerful and glamorous and rich and pretentious not to have an NFL franchise, even if it totally sucks as a pro football town.

PromoTheRobot
08-17-2010, 11:35 AM
The Bills in Toronto series is a bust, but don't think that means the NFL won't fly in Toronto. Two things killed the series: 1) The Bills suck, and 2) Rogers tried to gouge people for tickets. There are plenty of NFL fans in Toronto.

PTR

SABURZFAN
08-17-2010, 11:37 AM
meanwhile, The Old Fart is laughing all the way to the bank.

Jan Reimers
08-17-2010, 11:38 AM
meanwhile, The Old Fart is laughing all the way to the bank.
Yeah, but he can no longer remember what he's laughing about.

tampabay25690
08-17-2010, 02:12 PM

Toronto cares about HOCKEY and that is it....

JCBills
08-17-2010, 02:19 PM
Apparently the average ticket price to the Toronto Series games is upwards of $180, so no wonder.

Buffalogic
08-17-2010, 02:28 PM
Apparently the average ticket price to the Toronto Series games is upwards of $180, so no wonder.For a product that can barely generate 10 points...No wonder nobody wants to go and how could you blame them?

trapezeus
08-17-2010, 02:44 PM
Toronto cares about HOCKEY and that is it....

and even then, they still like coming to buffalo for the cheaper tickets. The toronto bills fans aren't the ones to blame. it's the jackasses who spend money like its water expecting everyone to live the same careless lifestyle that need to be blamed.

It is so clear as day that the NFL is making the most it possible it can make. they are in the markets they should be in that don't step on college football's toes, etc. they have some old teams that have state and federal funding. they have the TV deals, everything. What more do they need? I almost want to see them screw this up. i want to see them screw up the greatest spport out there.

JCBills
08-17-2010, 02:44 PM
For a product that can barely generate 10 points...No wonder nobody wants to go and how could you blame them?

Oh I know, but if the seats were reasonable like at the Ralph, people would go.

djjimkelly
08-17-2010, 03:19 PM

my issue is its 250$ for a good seat and its preseason what are sideline seats at ralph gp for now?

Night Train
08-17-2010, 03:24 PM
Rogers and his right hand man that cut the deal both died a few months after the deal was completed. Everyone else on the Rogers board was against it.

78 Mil to Ralph. And you folks think he's dumb.

starrymessenger
08-17-2010, 04:27 PM
Bills in Toronto is a big flop. RC is a lousy venue for football, there is grassroots opposition to building/financing a new stadium, the seats are priced out of sight as Rogers attempts to pass their foolishly incurred costs to the local fanbase, the town is and will always be principally addicted to hockey, there is already a football team there with a loyal following and its own traditions and rivalries, many NFL fans here have no particular affiliation to the Bills over other teams etc, etc...
Ted Rogers went into this as a way to steal a team. Ralph Wilson went into it for a quick and significant profit. IMO, although Ted was a great businessman, Ralph KO'ed him ten seconds into the first round. A clear case of PeeWee Herman vs Godzilla.
The support for the Bills in Toronto will likely always be limited to helping to fill seats in the Ralph and I am not sure that support is even needed given the dedicated local fanbase. Toronto businesses will not be buying expensive executive space in Buffalo-just doesn't make business sense.

better days
08-17-2010, 04:37 PM
and even then, they still like coming to buffalo for the cheaper tickets. The toronto bills fans aren't the ones to blame. it's the jackasses who spend money like its water expecting everyone to live the same careless lifestyle that need to be blamed.

It is so clear as day that the NFL is making the most it possible it can make. they are in the markets they should be in that don't step on college football's toes, etc. they have some old teams that have state and federal funding. they have the TV deals, everything. What more do they need? I almost want to see them screw this up. i want to see them screw up the greatest spport out there.

No doubt they like the cheaper prices, but many also like the atmosphere at the Ralph better than TO.

Johnny Bugmenot
08-17-2010, 05:44 PM
I agree Op, the USC thing stings. but they lost two teams already. TWO! At the same time! If one had moved but not the other, I can assure you it would still be there today. The Raiders moved because they couldn't get their stadium repaired after the earthquake in '94, and the Rams moved because the owner's widow was a Missouri gal and wanted to bring a team back to Saint Louis. L.A.'s fan base had nothing to do with either relocation-- in fact, if it hadn't been split between two teams, they wouldn't have had problems selling out even those cavernous 90,000-seat stadiums in the city. Heck, the Raiders might still be a decent team. Hollywood has money, and that's what is needed to support an NFL franchise these days. Mark my words, the NFL will return to L.A. someday soon, and it will be a rousing success.

Michael82
08-17-2010, 05:48 PM
Bills in Toronto is a big flop. RC is a lousy venue for football, there is grassroots opposition to building/financing a new stadium, the seats are priced out of sight as Rogers attempts to pass their foolishly incurred costs to the local fanbase, the town is and will always be principally addicted to hockey, there is already a football team there with a loyal following and its own traditions and rivalries, many NFL fans here have no particular affiliation to the Bills over other teams etc, etc...
Ted Rogers went into this as a way to steal a team. Ralph Wilson went into it for a quick and significant profit. IMO, although Ted was a great businessman, Ralph KO'ed him ten seconds into the first round. A clear case of PeeWee Herman vs Godzilla.
The support for the Bills in Toronto will likely always be limited to helping to fill seats in the Ralph and I am not sure that support is even needed given the dedicated local fanbase. Toronto businesses will not be buying expensive executive space in Buffalo-just doesn't make business sense.

I love this quote! :rofl: Good post!

better days
08-17-2010, 05:49 PM
At the same time! If one had moved but not the other, I can assure you it would still be there today. The Raiders moved because they couldn't get their stadium repaired after the earthquake in '94, and the Rams moved because the owner's widow was a Missouri gal and wanted to bring a team back to Saint Louis. L.A.'s fan base had nothing to do with either relocation-- in fact, if it hadn't been split between two teams, they wouldn't have had problems selling out even those cavernous 90,000-seat stadiums in the city. Heck, the Raiders might still be a decent team. Hollywood has money, and that's what is needed to support an NFL franchise these days. Mark my words, the NFL will return to L.A. someday soon, and it will be a rousing success.

I have no doubt LA will get another team. While the glimmer & shine is new & the game is the place to be seen they will do well, BUT if the team SUCKS for 10 years as the Bills have, that stadium in LA will be empty by year 8 at the latest.

Michael82
08-17-2010, 05:49 PM
Rogers and his right hand man that cut the deal both died a few months after the deal was completed. Everyone else on the Rogers board was against it.

78 Mil to Ralph. And you folks think he's dumb.

I didn't realize that...interesting....

TacklingDummy
08-17-2010, 07:41 PM
It's kind of amazing that even Buffalo does.

Demon
08-17-2010, 08:05 PM
I kinda disagree. I don't think the "series" has been a failure at all. I think the "Buffalo" part is the failure. The corporate companies and the hype is still there in Toronto, and more and more people with power are interested in football, but, it's NOT their team. It's a hard sell for them to go and support a team that plays 2 hours away and not even in Canada. I think they would have had much greater success if they had their own team, and that would KILL the CFL.

better days
08-17-2010, 08:13 PM
I kinda disagree. I don't think the "series" has been a failure at all. I think the "Buffalo" part is the failure. The corporate companies and the hype is still there in Toronto, and more and more people with power are interested in football, but, it's NOT their team. It's a hard sell for them to go and support a team that plays 2 hours away and not even in Canada. I think they would have had much greater success if they had their own team, and that would KILL the CFL.

Well it is a SMALL stadium. The people with money have no problem paying for the tickets & the corporate people pay NOTHING. I agree the NFL in TO would kill the CFL.

SABURZFAN
08-17-2010, 08:19 PM
Yeah, but he can no longer remember what he's laughing about.

don't let his drool cup fool you.

PromoTheRobot
08-17-2010, 09:20 PM
Don't forget there is talk of a new Hamilton stadium for the Ti-cats. 35K seating right now but they could always make it bigger, ya' know?

PTR

Ginger Vitis
08-17-2010, 09:55 PM
I know Trent meets that dark haired beauty every time in Toronto. Something tells me that he's going to have a good game this Thursday.

lol.. Trent should move this babe to Buffalo to be with him full time

Throne Logic
08-17-2010, 10:11 PM
I love the irony.

For years we hear all the talk about the perennial suckage leading to the Bills moving out of Buffalo.

In this case, it's the fact that they suck so bad that's keeping them in Buffalo.

Johnny Bugmenot
08-17-2010, 10:25 PM
Don't forget there is talk of a new Hamilton stadium for the Ti-cats. 35K seating right now but they could always make it bigger, ya' know?

PTR
Enough luxury boxes and it'd be worth it, at least as a temporary venue. Remember, the Titans played at Vanderbilt Stadium, which is right around that size, in '98. Also keep in mind the CFL has much bigger end zones which can be used for more seating if needed for an NFL game.

better days
08-18-2010, 12:02 AM
Enough luxury boxes and it'd be worth it, at least as a temporary venue. Remember, the Titans played at Vanderbilt Stadium, which is right around that size, in '98. Also keep in mind the CFL has much bigger end zones which can be used for more seating if needed for an NFL game.

I really doubt the MONEY people from TO would want to travel all the way to Hamilton. If TO gets an NFL team it will also build a GREAT new stadium.