PDA

View Full Version : Stop the INSANITY! Brohm is not winning the imaginary QB competition.

HHURRICANE
08-17-2010, 10:18 AM
I was desperately trying to hold off til Thursday but I just can't. People, please, look at the reality of the situation.

I know many of you hate Edwards and I'll be the first to say that you have some valid points but Edwards is starting and that is the reality of the situation:

1) Gailey can tell you all day that the QB competition is open but Edwards is playing with the first team for a reason. If there was a real battle here than Brohm would be starting the game on Thursday with the starters. If you want a true evaluation of Brohm than wouldn't you have him in with the starters? The second pre-season game would be a logical one.

2) Gailey is implementing a new offense. He needs as much time as possible to put it in place. If there were any questions about Edwards ability it would have been already addressed.

3) Gailey has said that every position on the team is up for grabs. Is POZ and Stroud really in danger of losing their roster spots? It's coach speak people.

I'm reading all of these threads like Brohm has some chance to emerge as the starter. Not happeneing.

I'll take it a step further. Edwards could have a bad game and Brohm could have a great game and it still won't matter.

Dr. Pepper
08-17-2010, 10:21 AM
i hope edwards starts because I want no more illusions as to how bad he actually is. when all 3 QBs flame out and look like horse**** throughout the season, i want gailey to realize he NEEDS to draft a QB and cant just mold the poop on this roster into gold.

HHURRICANE
08-17-2010, 10:33 AM
i hope edwards starts because I want no more illusions as to how bad he actually is. when all 3 QBs flame out and look like horse**** throughout the season, i want gailey to realize he NEEDS to draft a QB and cant just mold the poop on this roster into gold.

I've seen QBs take a broken play and turn it into a TD. I've seen others throw a pick. I think we have the latter.

Unless Edwards is in the perfect situation where the line is giving him 4 seonds a down he is not the QB for this team. Rothlinsberger, Palmer, and bunch other QBs would struggle here but they would play better and that's a fact.

Pinkerton Security
08-17-2010, 10:33 AM
you're probably right that Edwards is starting HH, but that doesnt mean we're happy about it...as it has been said so many times before, choosing our QB out of this group is like choosing between a douche, a turd sandwich, and a diaper filled with indian food.

hydro
08-17-2010, 10:36 AM
Not many are claiming that it is a possibility that Brohm starts for us to start the season. I am not an idiot, I see the same things you do. All things point to Edwards as being our starter. I just don't want Fitz coming in half way through the season when all is lost and we are just trying something different (like last season). Fitz needs to be cut and Brohm needs to be the next player after Edwards to see what he's got. Hopefully between the two of them we can figure out we have nothing at QB so we can draft one in 2011.

mikemac2001
08-17-2010, 10:40 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The issue with the whole brohm Atlanta game, is he was playing on the scout team the whole month then actually ran our offense for one week. He wasn't even getting reps with our playbook

****ing idiots give the guy a real chance if he fails he fails. Trent doesn't have it atleast brees looked like a qb

I know bc I followed brees since
College.

Trent hasn't been the same since that hit in Arizona and I doubt he gets it back.

Brohm has played 1 NFL game

if trent plays like he did in the last game i would like to see brohm with the starters if he fails well **** were screwed

Pinkerton Security
08-17-2010, 10:43 AM
Not many are claiming that it is a possibility that Brohm starts for us to start the season. I am not an idiot, I see the same things you do. All things point to Edwards as being our starter. I just don't want Fitz coming in half way through the season when all is lost and we are just trying something different (like last season). Fitz needs to be cut and Brohm needs to be the next player after Edwards to see what he's got. Hopefully between the two of them we can figure out we have nothing at QB so we can draft one in 2011.

its sad that this is our reality, that we are basically hoping that our QBs suck enough to show our coaches that we need to draft a QB...I know we all want the Bills to do well but our QB situation is bad enough that we reallllly need to move on and try to solidify the position.

HHURRICANE
08-17-2010, 10:44 AM

There are a few on here holding out hope that this competition is real.

I used to be in the camp of give me the unknown and take our chances. I hate Fitzpatrick but if Edwards does get hurt (likely) I'd rather have the guy that can help develop the other players around him.

Having Brohm throw incompletions all over the field isn't going to help us. I'd rather have Spiller, Johnson, and others develop for next year.

DraftBoy
08-17-2010, 10:49 AM
Im hoping we just let Spiller play QB full time.

Extremebillsfan247
08-17-2010, 11:00 AM

Yeah, I think you have the pulse of the majority of Bills fans summed up right here. But it's like groundhogs day all over again. He does really good in camp, comes out for a couple of games of the season, plays well, then falls of a cliff with his talent in tow. It's the same thing with Edwards every single year.

I can be as optimistic as anyone here, but even I know this season has all the makings of a disaster just lying in wait. He just isn't good enough of a QB to get it done at this level. I actually feel bad for those who hold out hope that some how a light is going to come on in that head of his and all of a sudden he is going to get it. I'm sorry, but I just don't see it.
Edwards will never be any better than he is right now. I'd be willing to put money on it. That is how confident I am that Edwards just flat out sucks as a QB. I'm actually contemplating whether or not I even want to watch the games this year with him as the starting QB which is something I have NEVER done before. That's the saddest thing about it all. I can't sit there and watch my Bills get systematically destroyed because the QB doesn't have the heart to throw that ball past 10 yards when the game counts, and can't stay healthy. This season is going to be heartbreaking to watch.

lol There's my rant for the day.. I'm done, carry on. Nothing to see here.. JMO...

SABURZFAN
08-17-2010, 11:01 AM
I know many of you hate Edwards

the hypocrites are running rampant in here.

more cowbell
08-17-2010, 11:02 AM
All three QB's are below average...and what makes it worse is our offensive line is WELL below average.

dasaybz
08-17-2010, 12:12 PM
The more I see Edwards play, the more it makes me think he's the worst QB on this team. I would almost be willing to bet my lunch money that right now Brown is better than him.

What exactly has Edwards shown us in the past year? Can anyone come up with anything positive at all?

dasaybz
08-17-2010, 12:14 PM
I'll take it a step further. Edwards could have a bad game and Brohm could have a great game and it still won't matter.

What makes you so confident in this? I think that you are highly mistaken if you think that the coaching staff wouldn't take notice if Edwards puked again and Brohm lit it up.

Nighthawk
08-17-2010, 12:14 PM
I've seen QBs take a broken play and turn it into a TD. I've seen others throw a pick. I think we have the latter.

Unless Edwards is in the perfect situation where the line is giving him 4 seonds a down he is not the QB for this team. Rothlinsberger, Palmer, and bunch other QBs would struggle here but they would play better and that's a fact.

Rothlisberger plays behind an OL that is just as bad as the Bills. Eventually, you have to realize that the QB helps make the OL look better or worse...this seems to be lost on some fans.

dasaybz
08-17-2010, 12:17 PM
Rothlisberger plays behind an OL that is just as bad as the Bills. Eventually, you have to realize that the QB helps make the OL look better or worse...this seems to be lost on some fans.

Wasn't Rodgers the most sacked QB in the NFL last year?

GB's OLine is pathetic also.

Chewytie
08-17-2010, 12:37 PM
when all 3 QBs flame out and look like horse**** throughout the season, i want gailey to realize he NEEDS to draft a QB and cant just mold the poop on this roster into gold.

You have a point here. When Gailey came in he saw film of TE and Fitz in game situations under extreme duress. Now that he will be here controlling the entire game he will realize that the guy he has on the field is completely incapable of actually making plays or managing a game he will shift his focus to gaining a QB in the 2011 offseason.

madness
08-17-2010, 01:17 PM
Brohm was never going to win the job off a single performance. The key is and always has been consistency. The most consistent QB on the roster is rightfully our #1 right now.

Can that change? Absolutely! "Edwards could have a bad game and Brohm could have a great game and it still won't matter." One game doesn't make a specific QB the most consistent. Brohm has shown flashes of his potential but he still hasn't been able to put forth a full body of work yet that actually merits him starting over Edwards. One game or week of practice won't change the depth chart. It's just as foolish to think there is no competition just because one good game or great week of practice doesn't change things.

Consistency is the reason why young rookies with tons of potential remain backups... it's the reason why upcoming, promising 2nd/3rd year players can't knock the whiley old, vet out of the starting lineup. The lack of is also the reason why aging vets within a year or two of retirement lose their jobs to the next guy in line. Coaches want players who can perform day in and day out... not players have a great game/play one minute and totally break down the next.

HHURRICANE
08-17-2010, 01:49 PM
If you needed more evidence on who's Chan's boy:

The Bills current quarterback atop the depth chart has been given a certain nickname by some fans that won’t be repeated here. But when asked about the short passes that have been thrown by Buffalo’s quarterbacks, head coach Chan Gailey said if you’re looking to point the finger you can point it at him.

Gailey was asked specifically about Trent Edwards and his decision making with respect to throwing downfield. The exact question that was asked was if he’d rather see Trent throwing downfield and make some mistakes in the preseason. Here was Gailey’s answer.

“No, I’d rather him make the right read. And I have to give him enough opportunities. If he checks it down, it’s not him, it’s me. If he throws it under four yards every time, we’re not doing the right things to get people open down the field,” said Gailey. ”So I want him to make the right reads and go to the right place. And if we’re not getting people open, then we either have to get different people or we have to create better schemes to get those guys open.”

Gailey has also mentioned protection time and again as the key to creating downfield throwing opportunities as well. As the Bills head coach put it himself…

“Nobody can throw it laying on their back or running around for their life back there. So our protection has to get better.”

http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2010/08/17/chan-says-put-short-passes-on-him/

Buffalogic
08-17-2010, 02:06 PM
The only qb competition is for the backup. Anyone who thinks otherwise is clueless.

dasaybz
08-17-2010, 02:09 PM
Anyone who thinks that Edwards is going to be the #1 QB for the entire season is clueless.

Extremebillsfan247
08-17-2010, 02:10 PM
The only qb competition is for the backup. Anyone who thinks otherwise is clueless.That's right, and being that Trent gets hurt more than most senior citizens, it's probably the most important competition in camp right now. JMO... lol

Beebe's Kid
08-17-2010, 02:11 PM
Whew...I was beginning to go through withdrawal. I just said to my coworker..."Dude, I need a serious shot of HH's man crush on TE, and I need it now!"

Not to be disappointed, I open BZ, and there you are on your soap box, vehemently having a passionate argument with yourself about why Trent will be the starter. People say they agree, and you say:

There are a few on here holding out hope that this competition is real.

Then you come with this piece of unfounded horse-****....

Having Brohm throw incompletions all over the field isn't going to help us. I'd rather have Spiller, Johnson, and others develop for next year.
Then, just when I thought you would have to finally just scream "I love you Trent!!" for the whole world to hear, you dig a little deeper, and come up with an old quote of Gailey's to show why Trent is his "boy."

You are getting yourself all hot and bothered and whipped into a passionate frenzy about #5, all while nobody is arguing...only saying they are tired of him and his empty ball bag taking snaps for our team.

We get it. Your love for TE is undying. You are loyal to a fault.

JCBills
08-17-2010, 02:15 PM
The only qb competition is for the backup. Anyone who thinks otherwise is clueless.

And on this team, that's a massively important position, and the one we should all be worrying about the most right now. Whoever wins the #2 spot is who is probably going to start a good portion of the games with Trent's injury history.

Buffalogic
08-17-2010, 02:21 PM
And on this team, that's a massively important position, and the one we should all be worrying about the most right now. Whoever wins the #2 spot is who is probably going to start a good portion of the games with Trent's injury history.I'm not going to waste time fretting about the backup position. There's plenty of fretting going on about the starter, I don't have room for the backup.

JCBills
08-17-2010, 02:43 PM
I'm not going to waste time fretting about the backup position. There's plenty of fretting going on about the starter, I don't have room for the backup.

That's the thing though, as long as Trent is sitting at #1, #2 should be just as much of a concern. The #2 is basically a #1.5 considering the odds of him starting a good portion of games. Kind of like last season, when 5 of our 6 wins came when the #2 was starting games.

Buffalogic
08-17-2010, 02:50 PM
That's the thing though, as long as Trent is sitting at #1, #2 should be just as much of a concern. The #2 is basically a #1.5 considering the odds of him starting a good portion of games. Kind of like last season, when 5 of our 6 wins came when the #2 was starting games.Dude the season's over if Trent goes down for an extended period. Trent isn't a great qb by any means but anyone who argues that he doesn't give us the best chance to win doesn't know what they are talking about.

How bout we have a legit competition and bring in Thigpen and let him really compete with Trent, because Brohm and Fitz make Trent look good.

SquishDaFish
08-17-2010, 02:53 PM
How about you get off Edwards and Peters nutsack

Pinkerton Security
08-17-2010, 02:54 PM
Dude the season's over if Trent goes down for an extended period. Trent isn't a great qb by any means but anyone who argues that he doesn't give us the best chance to win doesn't know what they are talking about.

How bout we have a legit competition and bring in Thigpen and let him really compete with Trent, because Brohm and Fitz make Trent look good.

Fitz yes, Brohm is still to be determined.

And i dont wanna burst your bubble but the season is already over:couch:

dasaybz
Dude the season's over if Trent goes down for an extended period. Trent isn't a great qb by any means but anyone who argues that he doesn't give us the best chance to win doesn't know what they are talking about.

Is your brain broken?

Please somebody give me some examples of what Trent has done positive in the past year.

What makes you or anyone think that he gives us the best chance to win? By all counts, Fitzpatrick gave us the best chance to win last year.

Ron Burgundy
The amount of stupid gibbering that people go through for no good reason is always interesting.

Stuck behind an quarterback who is always injured? Can't beat out Captain Checkdown? Number two on the depth chart? A "#1.5 QB," whatever that is? Who gives a ****? What it means is "second-best." As in, "you are the second best at this position on the roster, unable to beat out an injury prone/gutless/fill-in-the-issue teammate." Which means you ****ing suck and should have no one on Earth praising you or backing you for any reason, because you're not as good than the man in front of you.

ZAZusmc03
08-17-2010, 02:55 PM
I'd rather latch on to the unproven, untested ship than the one that is halfway under water...

Buffalogic
08-17-2010, 02:55 PM
Is your brain broken?

Please somebody give me some examples of what Trent has done positive in the past year.

What makes you or anyone think that he gives us the best chance to win? By all counts, Fitzpatrick gave us the best chance to win last year.You're a Brohm fan boy. We get it. But stop being ridiculous please.

Ron Burgundy
08-17-2010, 02:57 PM
I'd rather latch on to the unproven, untested ship than the one that is halfway under water...

We only have one of those, and Levi Brown is NOT ready. At least at the QB position.

And "unproven and untested" does not equal "talented or a valid answer in any way."

dasaybz
08-17-2010, 02:59 PM
Brohm fan boy, hardly.

Please, explain to me why Edwards is so good, I'm waiting.

Buffalogic
08-17-2010, 03:03 PM
Brohm fan boy, hardly.

Please, explain to me why Edwards is so good, I'm waiting.Wait longer then because he isn't good he's just the best we have. If you can't see that you're as clownish as the dude in your avatar.

dasaybz
08-17-2010, 03:11 PM
Wait longer then because he isn't good he's just the best we have. If you can't see that you're as clownish as the dude in your avatar.
He was better than Fitzpatrick last year?

Bill Cody
08-17-2010, 03:15 PM

If the NFL made the defense count to 5 Mississipi before they rushed I'd be with you on thinking Trent is such a clear choice. Sadly they don't so unless something's changed from the last time we saw Trent what we have is a smart guy with nice fundamentals that has no leadership and little guts. He didn't start off that way but after he got his bell rung he came back as a boring gelding of a QB. Our sample size with Brohm on the other hand is exactly one game. You can say I don't know what I'm talking about and I could care less. I'd like to see more of plan B before I make any judgments. As of right now there is no plan A.

djjimkelly
08-17-2010, 03:47 PM
some qbs arent practice players or have the best mechanics some are just flat out players when chips on table.

i just think most of us would like to see if brohm is that we have nothing to lose.

id live with his inaccuracy if 65% of the time hes accurate!

i just want to see a qb who can makes throws that our wrs actually have a chance to make a play on. this isnt a thread the needle contest!

Buffalogic
08-17-2010, 03:49 PM
Glad this thread brought out the likes of a Drew Bledsoe, as well as a JP Losman avatar.

Philagape
08-17-2010, 03:51 PM
Trent isn't a great qb by any means but anyone who argues that he doesn't give us the best chance to win doesn't know what they are talking about.

Last year Fitz did. Proven.
So no one has any basis to assume any QB does.

Buffalogic
08-17-2010, 03:53 PM
Last year Fitz did. Proven.
So no one has any basis to assume any QB does.Proven how? Because he mopped up for a dead Trent Edwards? That's not an acceptable statement to me.

Philagape
08-17-2010, 03:58 PM
Proven how? Because he mopped up for a dead Trent Edwards? That's not an acceptable statement to me.

The Bills offense scored more points per game under Fitz than Trent (16.0 to 13.3). That's not counting the Colts game, it divides the points in the Jets road game between QBs, and it does count two touchdown passes in Edwards' games that were thrown by Brian Moorman and Fred Jackson.
A big reason for this is Fitz's higher TD percentage (4.0 to 3.3). Owens caught 4 TDs from Fitz, and only one from Trent. Evans caught 4 TDs from Fitz, to two from Trent (one from Jackson).
Another significant factor was that Trent was sacked more times than Fitz despite 44 fewer attempts.
The biggest stat differences Trent had over Fitz were completion percentage and INT percentage. Those categories are a lot easier to win when the QB throws short a lot more.
Last year Trent's percentage of throws that went 10 yards or less in the air was a whopping 77 percent. Under Fitz that dropped to 61.7 percent.
32.2 percent of Fitz's passes were in the intermediate 10-30 range; only 14.7 for Trent! (And Fitz was more accurate in that range by six points!)
Fitz took more chances; that resulted in worse individual numbers, but better production on the scoreboard, which is all that matters.

Pinkerton Security
08-17-2010, 03:59 PM
Proven how? Because he mopped up for a dead Trent Edwards? That's not an acceptable statement to me.

Seriously? The sad thing is that people are forgetting that we actually won 5 of our 6 games while Trent was on the bench, even after he got better...

Buffalogic
08-17-2010, 04:35 PM
Seriously? The sad thing is that people are forgetting that we actually won 5 of our 6 games while Trent was on the bench, even after he got better...What?? Trent went down in the game against the jets that we won. That means Fitzpatrick beat Carolina, Miami, KC all teams with losing records. Then he got a free win from the colts in the final week. That proves nothing.

JCBills
08-17-2010, 05:01 PM
The amount of stupid gibbering that people go through for no good reason is always interesting.

Stuck behind an quarterback who is always injured? Can't beat out Captain Checkdown? Number two on the depth chart? A "#1.5 QB," whatever that is? Who gives a ****? What it means is "second-best." As in, "you are the second best at this position on the roster, unable to beat out an injury prone/gutless/fill-in-the-issue teammate." Which means you ****ing suck and should have no one on Earth praising you or backing you for any reason, because you're not as good than the man in front of you.

Why so raged over a little discussion? We don't have fair grounds to judge Brohm yet, and probably won't until mid-season. Relax, it's a ways off.

Philagape
08-17-2010, 05:05 PM
What?? Trent went down in the game against the jets that we won. That means Fitzpatrick beat Carolina, Miami, KC all teams with losing records. Then he got a free win from the colts in the final week. That proves nothing.

Beating teams with losing records is better than losing to teams with losing records, like the Browns

better days
08-17-2010, 05:13 PM
Beating teams with losing records is better than losing to teams with losing records, like the Browns

True, but the stats Trent's fan boys always like to throw out are INFLATED because they came against BAD teams. In 2007 Dick played JP against all the good teams & he played Trent against the bad teams.

Johnny Bugmenot
08-17-2010, 05:36 PM
Rothlisberger plays behind an OL that is just as bad as the Bills. Eventually, you have to realize that the QB helps make the OL look better or worse...this seems to be lost on some fans. So, you'd take Demetrius Bell over Max Starks?

better days
08-17-2010, 05:44 PM
So, you'd take Demetrius Bell over Max Starks?

In a couple years, who knows? Bell may come into his own & Starkes could get injured.

Philagape
08-17-2010, 06:02 PM
True, but the stats Trent's fan boys always like to throw out are INFLATED because they came against BAD teams. In 2007 Dick played JP against all the good teams & he played Trent against the bad teams.

That's something only a JP fanboy would say, as in 2007 Trent started against the Cowboys (13-3), Redskins (9-7), Browns (10-6) and eventual SB champion Giants (10-6). The only teams JPUFL beat were the Jets (4-12), Bengals (7-9) and Fins (1-15). Say what you will about Trent now, but no argument involving JPUFL can be credibly made against him.

better days
08-17-2010, 06:56 PM
That's something only a JP fanboy would say, as in 2007 Trent started against the Cowboys (13-3), Redskins (9-7), Browns (10-6) and eventual SB champion Giants (10-6). The only teams JPUFL beat were the Jets (4-12), Bengals (7-9) and Fins (1-15). Say what you will about Trent now, but no argument involving JPUFL can be credibly made against him.

That was my mistake. I meant 2008. In 2007 Dick was forced to play Trent against good teams because Losman was injured.

The point is how did Trent do against the GOOD teams in the NFL? His stats such as they are, are inflated by games played against bad teams.

24 TD's vs 25 INT's that is the only stat that really matters.

Philagape
08-17-2010, 07:05 PM
That was my mistake. I meant 2008. In 2007 Dick was forced to play Trent against good teams because Losman was injured.

The point is how did Trent do against the GOOD teams in the NFL? His stats such as they are, are inflated by games played against bad teams.

I'm not sure why you're making this point since I pointed out that Trent's case against Fitz is weakened by him losing to teams like the Browns.
The Bills haven't had a QB that beats good teams in many years, so beating bad teams is all any of their QBs can do.

SABURZFAN
08-17-2010, 07:22 PM

:deadhorse:

better days
08-17-2010, 07:27 PM
I'm not sure why you're making this point since I pointed out that Trent's case against Fitz is weakened by him losing to teams like the Browns.
The Bills haven't had a QB that beats good teams in many years, so beating bad teams is all any of their QBs can do.

I'm not talking about winning games. That is not totally in a QB's hands. I am talking about throwing TD's vs INT's. That the QB has a good deal of control over, especially last year with Evans & TO.

SABURZFAN
08-17-2010, 07:28 PM

the only stat that matters are wins. Lossman had 10 wins as a starter. half of them came during a 5 game winning streak.

Ron Burgundy
08-17-2010, 08:08 PM
Why so raged over a little discussion? We don't have fair grounds to judge Brohm yet, and probably won't until mid-season. Relax, it's a ways off.

I think you're misreading me. There's no rage here, and there's very little that the Bills can do to make me mad. I expect us to be pretty bad.

That post was just simple accuracy.

Demon
08-17-2010, 08:10 PM
HH does have a great point, we are only commenting that Brohm should be the starter based on.... well, Edwards sucking. Brohm needs to be lights out on Thursday night, a Sage Rosenfels type game to get himself into serious consideration. Might as well just save ourselfs all the typing and arguing and wait to see what kind of game he brings on Thursday, but, i doubt he can do much with this offense and that will kill any chances he has to become a starter.

Bill Cody
08-18-2010, 09:35 AM
Glad this thread brought out the likes of a Drew Bledsoe, as well as a JP Losman avatar.

I'm glad you're glad.

Drew Bledsoe had guts. He would hang in the pocket and take a hit to deliver a ball down the field. He played hurt. The guy you rush everywhere to defend, Edwards, is always hurt, will dump the ball if he sees a pash rusher within 5 yards of him and has not shown he knows how to win. If we play Edwards I will support him and hope for the best. But I'm not sure he's even an NFL starting QB never mind the best we have so I will wait and see what Brohm has. Ok?