PDA

View Full Version : Chan says put short passes on him

HHURRICANE
08-17-2010, 01:51 PM
If you needed more evidence on who the starter is:

The Bills current quarterback atop the depth chart has been given a certain nickname by some fans that won’t be repeated here. But when asked about the short passes that have been thrown by Buffalo’s quarterbacks, head coach Chan Gailey said if you’re looking to point the finger you can point it at him.

Gailey was asked specifically about Trent Edwards and his decision making with respect to throwing downfield. The exact question that was asked was if he’d rather see Trent throwing downfield and make some mistakes in the preseason. Here was Gailey’s answer.

“No, I’d rather him make the right read. And I have to give him enough opportunities. If he checks it down, it’s not him, it’s me. If he throws it under four yards every time, we’re not doing the right things to get people open down the field,” said Gailey. ”So I want him to make the right reads and go to the right place. And if we’re not getting people open, then we either have to get different people or we have to create better schemes to get those guys open.”

Gailey has also mentioned protection time and again as the key to creating downfield throwing opportunities as well. As the Bills head coach put it himself…

“Nobody can throw it laying on their back or running around for their life back there. So our protection has to get better.”

http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2010/08/17/chan-says-put-short-passes-on-him/

ZAZusmc03
08-17-2010, 01:54 PM
I don't care who ends up starting and if they check down every play. As long as it translates into first downs and points being scored.

JCBills
08-17-2010, 01:54 PM
Err, we know Trent is in the #1 spot right now, so I don't get the opening statement.

If this is in relation to friday's game, Stevie J was open on several occasions and didn't have the ball sent his way much.

I also don't care about check downs, all it means is the QB went through his progression and threw it to the first open man he saw. The thing is, Trent waits until WRs get open and reads through his progression exceptionally fast. This is why our RBs had so many receptions in 08. When several statistics and our own eyes point to a QB being unnecessarily conservative, it's more than the coach.

Even Lee Evans has shown that if you get him the 50/50 ball deep, more often than not he comes down with it. Stevie and Easley are 6'2''. If they have half a step on a guy, give them that 50/50 ball, let them make a play.

trapezeus
08-17-2010, 01:58 PM
if you are trent edwards, and you are lacking in some confidence, it has to be good to hear your coach get your back and take the criticism instead of a wishy washy, "let's look at the tape."

of course this could totally backfire and capabale WR who feel like they are totally doing their job feel like an incompetent QB is getting breaks and they are getting reemed even when they do a good job.

These are the bills, so i assume this will play out in the most negative manner possible which is usually worse than more negative manner imaginable because the bills are always worse than you ever imagined.

SquishDaFish
08-17-2010, 02:56 PM
More Edwards nut loving from HH jesus christ

BillsWin
08-17-2010, 03:23 PM
HH, you got a little something on your chin. I think it's Trent's man juice.

Or woman juice. God knows he plays like a little girl half the time.

Dr. Lecter
08-17-2010, 03:31 PM

I battle with HH as much as anybody (perhaps more), but it is not like you have not shown a little affection for Brohm in the past.

SquishDaFish
08-17-2010, 03:37 PM
Showing affection is one thing but damn man he just keeps going on and on about Trent and Jason Peters. I think he might be stalking both

Philagape
08-17-2010, 03:54 PM
Was it Chan's fault last year too?

Coachspeak isn't evidence of anything.

Buddo
08-17-2010, 07:36 PM
At the end of the day, a good O-Line makes a mediocre QB a lot better than a good QB makes anything much out of playing behind a crap O-Line.

Gailey is simply recognising this fact. I'm pretty sure he would be saying the same thing if it was Fitz or Brohm in the same situation.

For all he isn't a 'pushover', I think this is also a time when Gailey is showing the players that he will have their back, if they put the necessary work and effort in.

I also think it shows that he believes that the buck stops at him, and nowhere else. I believe that he actually relishes that responsibility, and it's one of the reasons why he has managed to get average offences playing above themselves.

Listen to the guy speak. His whole approach is one of, if something isn't working right, it's his job, and his coaches job, to fix it between them.

He may well not succeed in doing so in some areas, as the 'talent' he has to work with isn't that great, but it won't be for a lack of trying.

Time can only tell how good of a HC he will be, but imho, he hasn't got the wrong approach.

Nighthawk
08-17-2010, 07:42 PM
I battle with HH as much as anybody (perhaps more), but it is not like you have not shown a little affection for Brohm in the past.

There is no comparison to HH's man crush on Trent...it's kind of getting scary.

SABURZFAN
08-17-2010, 07:56 PM

aren't you the guy that's hugging Brohm's johnson?

Mad Max
08-17-2010, 08:38 PM

“No, I’d rather him make the right read. And I have to give him enough opportunities. If he checks it down, it’s not him, it’s me. If he throws it under four yards every time, we’re not doing the right things to get people open down the field,” said Gailey. ”So I want him to make the right reads and go to the right place. And if we’re not getting people open, then we either have to get different people or we have to create better schemes to get those guys open.”

We've heard this song ten or fifty times before. It's not his fault, it's because of x,y, or z reason. If Gailey wants to not be the next Manboobs in terms of success and ultimate fate (I won't compare him to Skeletor, because let's face it only Kotite was as horrid a coach as Dickie) he had better unhitch his wagon from the Captain at seasons end.

BillsWin
08-17-2010, 08:55 PM

Yeah, I want Brohm to play. Because I'm sick of watching Trent fail and Fitzpatrick is a reliable backup but nothing more.

I was a big Trent fan his rookie season. I thought he was a hot shot. But after watching numerous QB's bite the big one in Buffalo, I know what to look for. Trent is not very good. He had potential at one point, but he doesn't appear to be going anywhere.

Brohm is not Trent or Fitz. So yes, that is why I want him to start. I'll admit it. Also, he was highly touted coming out of college. The kid was GOOOOOD. He may not be anymore, but what he showed at Louisville you don't just forget. So I'm hoping he'll turn it around. He's still young and hasn't really had much opportunity on the field. But I'm not blind to his failures in GB. He has to earn play time here. I think he will.

But where my "affection" for Brohm and HH's man crush on Trent differ is that if Brohm comes out and has an awful game against the Colts, I'm going to tell it like it is. :jig:

I'm going to say, Brohm sucked. I won't make excuses. I'll drill into him with the same level of enmity I have for Trent Edwards. And I won't make multiple threads defending him and posting things to reiterate his standing with the team. The way I see it, he's a professional football player. He doesn't need me to defend him. His play should shut up haters. Ie. Trent. Trent doesn't need people to defend him. He needs to nut up or shut up. Just like Brohm. :up:

But anyway, HH knows I'm just pulling his leg. I like his posts and threads. Most of the time.

Just not the Peters and Edwards ones. :crazy:

It's funny. If Trent would just start to show me what he's show all his supporters, I would be just as crazy about him as all those people. I just want to win. I don't think we can do that with Edwards in charge of the offense... :idunno:

jmb1099
08-17-2010, 09:23 PM
So basically he's saying he doesn't trust Trent to make the right reads. See how fun spin can be?

If you needed more evidence on who the starter is:

The Bills current quarterback atop the depth chart has been given a certain nickname by some fans that won’t be repeated here. But when asked about the short passes that have been thrown by Buffalo’s quarterbacks, head coach Chan Gailey said if you’re looking to point the finger you can point it at him.

Gailey was asked specifically about Trent Edwards and his decision making with respect to throwing downfield. The exact question that was asked was if he’d rather see Trent throwing downfield and make some mistakes in the preseason. Here was Gailey’s answer.

Gailey has also mentioned protection time and again as the key to creating downfield throwing opportunities as well. As the Bills head coach put it himself…

“Nobody can throw it laying on their back or running around for their life back there. So our protection has to get better.”

http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2010/08/17/chan-says-put-short-passes-on-him/

HHURRICANE
08-17-2010, 10:27 PM
Showing affection is one thing but damn man he just keeps going on and on about Trent and Jason Peters. I think he might be stalking both

It was a special night that I'll never forget!!

HHURRICANE
08-17-2010, 10:32 PM
So basically he's saying he doesn't trust Trent to make the right reads. See how fun spin can be?

So essentially we have an accurate QB that can't make the right reads in competition with a guy who can make the reads but can't deliver the ball.

Pick your posion.

BillsWin
08-17-2010, 10:35 PM
It was a special night that I'll never forget!!

You are an awesome person. :up:

BillsWin
08-17-2010, 10:38 PM
So essentially we have a semi-accurate QB that can't make the right reads and is afraid to throw over 4 yards in competition with a former practice squad guy who can make the reads and deliver the ball, but not consistently.

Pick your posion.

fixed.

We should give up on our respective QBs. Skip right on to arguing who's better. Locker or Luck.

I pick Luck.

Oaf
08-18-2010, 02:56 AM

Why you make this a personal thing when all he did was repost a BB.com article is beyond me.

YardRat
08-18-2010, 05:58 AM
For all he isn't a 'pushover', I think this is also a time when Gailey is showing the players that he will have their back, if they put the necessary work and effort in.

Except for the parts where he throws the o-line and receivers under the bus.