PDA

View Full Version : hypothetical: Polian is back as GM of the bills

trapezeus
08-18-2010, 08:35 AM
Let's assume that Nix steps down and by putting rational thought and logic aside Bill Polian comes back as GM. What do you think he does as he looks at the Redskins preseason game?

I personally think Polian is not afraid of bold moves, and I think he's a "we need a line" type gm. i think he's willing to get mcneill from SD. I don't think he sits back and takes a 3-13 season very willingly.

In my mind, i finally got comfortable with nix and gailey, but i can't help that they are taking this bad season willingly. Maybe patience is key, but i just can't see Polian or a go get them type guy willingly go into a season with such a bad OL at the tackle position and then have such poor depth to boot.

Look at our RB situation. we are stacked there, yet in one game, we have to lose two starters and move pretty far back into our depth. If it happens to our position of strength, imagine if that happens to our tackles.

thoughts?

ddaryl
08-18-2010, 09:15 AM
"If "ifs" and "buts" were candy and nuts, wouldn't it be a Merry Christmas?"

If Polian showed up today I think he would be ok with seeing what we had, stock piling some picks and getting himself ready to revamp with his 1st offseason and draft.

If a player could be had with a player swap that didn't cripple the team, and gave us a player whom would be sticking around for a few years then I think he would make that trade.

What would it take to get a Mcneill is the question...

and I beleive Nix would also do a similiat thing if the deal was doable, and didn't cost the team to many players, or picks...

Unfortunately San Diego might want a `1st rd pick, and our 1st rd pick is going ot be top 10 in 2010 and we need that QB from next years draft.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/football/cowboys/stories/081810dnspoivritem3.63c0ecef.html

TAYLOR: That's not a bad thought, but the Chargers probably want a first-round pick for him, and then he's going to want a new big-money contract. That's a big price to pay from the Cowboys' perspective, when they believe Free is the left tackle of the future for a much cheaper price.

HHURRICANE
08-18-2010, 09:23 AM
Vincent Jackson is a more likely tradeable situation.

The Chargers, unlike the Bills, aren't stupid enough to trade away their LT.

trapezeus
08-18-2010, 09:35 AM
the chargers also drew a line in the sand. Mcneill and jackson and possibly merrimen will never play for the chargers again. They are never getting the offer they want. that was made clear to them when they didn't sign the best offer weeks ago. So that means, AJ smith will let them rot until week 10. It's become a bit of an irrational powerstruggle. both parties are hurting themselves.

Ddaryl, thanks for that link. i didn't realize the price was so high.

theanswer74
08-18-2010, 10:26 AM
Let's assume that Nix steps down and by putting rational thought and logic aside Bill Polian comes back as GM. What do you think he does as he looks at the Redskins preseason game?

I personally think Polian is not afraid of bold moves, and I think he's a "we need a line" type gm. i think he's willing to get mcneill from SD. I don't think he sits back and takes a 3-13 season very willingly.

In my mind, i finally got comfortable with nix and gailey, but i can't help that they are taking this bad season willingly. Maybe patience is key, but i just can't see Polian or a go get them type guy willingly go into a season with such a bad OL at the tackle position and then have such poor depth to boot.

Look at our RB situation. we are stacked there, yet in one game, we have to lose two starters and move pretty far back into our depth. If it happens to our position of strength, imagine if that happens to our tackles.

thoughts?

Well they are going for a Super Bowl and he said the OL wasnt good enough, he did nothing to improve it.

justasportsfan
08-18-2010, 10:38 AM
Polian would have done the same thing Nix is doing, build through the draft. I don't remember the last time the colts brought in a big named free agent or made a huge trade. One things for sure, he would have grabbed us a franchise qb but I'm not sure he too would have grabbed Claussen at nine.

trapezeus
08-18-2010, 10:58 AM
Polian would have done the same thing Nix is doing, build through the draft. I don't remember the last time the colts brought in a big named free agent or made a huge trade. One things for sure, he would have grabbed us a franchise qb but I'm not sure he too would have grabbed Claussen at nine.

True, but remember this guy is the guy who pulled the bennett trade. that was a bold move for the team at the time.

I realize building in the draft is the best method, but after reading about the redskins game, they are still going to get schalacked.

justasportsfan
08-18-2010, 11:02 AM
True, but remember this guy is the guy who pulled the bennett trade. that was a bold move for the team at the time.

I realize building in the draft is the best method, but after reading about the redskins game, they are still going to get schalacked.

yup, he got Bennett but other than that don't really know anyone else other than him giving Freeney so much money. AS theanswer pointed out, they struggled at the OL and added no one. They needed a stud rb but still went with Addai. For the most part, Polian likes to go with what he's got.

ddaryl
08-18-2010, 11:03 AM

there were no franchise QB's available after bradford. polian is smart and he knows next years draft is MUCH more appealing in the QB department.

I don't think Polian would have forced a square peg in a round hole..

justasportsfan
08-18-2010, 11:08 AM
there were no franchise QB's available after bradford. polian is smart and he knows next years draft is MUCH more appealing in the QB department.

I don't think Polian would have forced a square peg in a round hole..

I agree and IMO Nix is thinking the same thing.

acehole
08-18-2010, 11:25 AM
ON day one from the Bills he shoots a flaming arrow trough Trents heart and ends the whack a mole QB situation since he left this toilet. Then he drafts a qb #1 to build around...while the other peices such as lt are put in place.

Yea...it really is that simple.

thoughts?

tomz
08-18-2010, 11:31 AM
Polian is all about the FRANCHISE QB. Remember, after Wolford left (who was good but not elite) he did not draft an elite tackle but developed Ballard instead.

Also, in developing the Bills, Polian benefited greatly from the talent made available, more or less free for the taking, when the USFL came apart. The Bennett Move was possible because there were not too many missing pieces after years of elite draft picks.

In 3 years, if we draft in the top 3 to 5 for each of those years, you can start to make analogies based on the draft!

DraftBoy
08-18-2010, 11:44 AM

thoughts?

I dont think Polian is a good comparison in all honesty, look at the OL he has drafted and where;
G Jamie Thomas-Rd 7, 2009
G Mike Pollack-R2, 2008
G Jacques McClendon-R4, 2010
G Jamey Richard-R7, 2008
OT Tony Ugog-R2, 2007
OT Charlie Johnson-R6, 2006
OT Ryan Diem-R4, 2001

Not one first round pick spent on a OL and only one non drafted starte via FA Jeff Saturday.

trapezeus
08-18-2010, 12:01 PM
ok, i'll buy the arguements from justa and ddaryl. points well made.

i was just thinking about the bennett trade and how that was a ballsy move but it paid off almost immediately. without such a move this year, 2010 is really just a waste of a year. the team needed some tackle options. i really don't think bell is it. i think meredith could be the guy but most likely will be a agreat back up to have after he plays some more.

Lexwhat
08-18-2010, 12:34 PM
I dont think Polian is a good comparison in all honesty, look at the OL he has drafted and where;
G Jamie Thomas-Rd 7, 2009
G Mike Pollack-R2, 2008
G Jacques McClendon-R4, 2010
G Jamey Richard-R7, 2008
OT Tony Ugog-R2, 2007
OT Charlie Johnson-R6, 2006
OT Ryan Diem-R4, 2001

Not one first round pick spent on a OL and only one non drafted starte via FA Jeff Saturday.

You are probably just stating the facts without giving your own opinion, but either way, this is one of Polian's 2 biggest mistakes with the Colts, IMHO. Last year, even Polian himself admitted that he was unhappy with his O-Line's performance.

With all their early playoff exits in the past 6-7 years, people used to blame their Defense. IMO, it was their weak pass-protection (even before Tarik Glenn's retirement) that cost them those playoff games, as Manning could not handle the pass rush.

Polian's other biggest mistake is never acquiring a premier DT.

Although I am no one to question Bill Polian, if he swung a few trades / earlier draft picks / FA signings at the O-Line and DT positions, Manning would be sitting at home right now with 3-4 Super Bowl Rings.

justasportsfan
08-18-2010, 12:46 PM
without such a move this year, 2010 is really just a waste of a year. the team needed some tackle options.

Drafting Spiller was an obvious move that we're drafting for the future and not making moves to win now. I think 2010 is just a season to find out which players from Jaurons era are they keeping and determine where they are headed in next years draft. They already have their rb of the future. My guess is, unless any of our qb's play like a franchise qb this year ( not holding my breath) , our franchise qb is in next years draft.

SABURZFAN
08-18-2010, 01:12 PM
What would it take to get a Mcneill is the question...

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/football/cowboys/stories/081810dnspoivritem3.63c0ecef.html

something involving Lee Evans?