• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • patmoran2006
    Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
    • Dec 2005

Plenty On The Line For Former Bulls in Toronto Thursday

New University of Kansas head football coach Turner Gill is an occupied man these days as he finishes preparing for his first season as the Jayhawks coach after leaving the University at Buffalo this winter. But engaged in his own business down south won’t keep him from finding time to tune into his television set as a pair of former pupils square off against each on a NFL field.
    A pair of UB undrafted free agents continue their quests to make it in the NFL on Thursday night as Buffalo Bills receiver Naaman Roosevelt faces safety Mike Newtown and the Indianapolis Colts in Toronto.

Gill is both energized and nervous for both participants.

“It’s a great thrill for me and brings deep satisfaction that these young men are getting their shot in the NFL that they so richly deserve,” Gill said. “Both have the talent and they certainly have the character to succeed at the top level of professional football. I’ll be rooting for both of them.”

By trying to make their respective squads without the benefit of being selected in the draft, both Roosevelt and Newton have more to prove than most. On the bright side, at least to them, inopportune injuries to teammates has given both the opportunity to stick on their respective rosters.

Bills fourth round pick Marcus Easley hurt his knee early in training camp. Surgery is required and although nothing has been made official, he’s almost certain to miss the entire season. James Hardy, already in a dog fight to make the roster, hasn’t done himself any favors with an undisclosed injury that kept him out of the preseason opener at Washington, and will sideline him tonight in Toronto as well. Fellow undrafted free agent David Nelson, impressive in Washington, also will miss at least the Toronto game with a knee injury.

This has given Roosevelt, considered a long shot entering camp to make the team, a huge opening. At the very least, he’s going to see a lot more snaps over the next couple games. It’s his chance to shine, and he knows his time is now.

“It’s always terrible to see a teammate or teammates go down with injuries, but when your number is called you have to go out there and make plays and prove you belong,” Roosevelt said. “I’ve got a lot to prove to the coaches and I need to take advantage of any opportunity I get. I’m ready to seize it.”

Newton has also benefited from an injury during Colts training camp. Starting safety Jamie Silva suffered a knee injury and is out for the year. This pushes Newton up the depth chart. To this point he’s had a good training camp and got extensive playing time against San Francisco last week.

Like Roosevelt, Newton knows Thursday night could be make or break.

“When you don’t come to a team with a high draft pedigree there’s going to be more pressure to make a big impression,” said Newton. “Just like Naaman, I got to take advantage of what’s in front of and what’s in front of me right now is a chance to make a positive impression and make this football team. Obviously, this is a huge game for both of us.”

As you would imagine, Gill isn’t picking sides.

“I am rooting for both players just the same,” he said. “They are both special young men and each can bring something of value to their football teams. I think both guys would represent the organizations they play for with nothing but class and respect.”

For Gill, it’s testament to the job he did at UB and the type of players he was able to recruit in turning the program around from laughingstock to a MAC title winner.

Never the one to make success about himself, Gill gives all the praise to guys like the two ready to square off.

“Absolutely those young men deserve a lot of credit. ” he said. “They put their heart and soul into Buffalo and it rubbed off on all their teammates. They were definitely the heart and soul of our football team.”

It’s expected Roosevelt and Newtown will be on the field at the same time, and possibly lined up against each other.

“It’s not like we haven’t faced each other before,” Newton said. “We lined up and played each other almost every day in practice. He’s a great competitor and so am I. It’s going to be a lot of fun.”

The Bills will likely carry six receivers on the active roster. Lee Evans, Stevie Johnson and Chad Jackson are locks to make the team. Roscoe Parrish is very likely the fourth. That leaves a battle between Hardy, Nelson, Donald Jones, newly signed Aaron Rhea and Roosevelt in a five-way fight for what will likely be two spots, assuming the Bills keep six.

That suits Roosevelt just fine.

“I’ve never been handed anything in my life and I know that doesn’t change in the NFL, “he said. “It’s a tough competition and a long grind, but all I can do is go out there and do my best and show everybody what I’m capable of, and hopefully everything from there will take care of itself.”

If it takes showing up a former teammate and good friend, Roosevelt has no problem doing so.

“He’s out trying to earn a job and I am as well, ” he said. “We have a great deal of respect for each other, and we’ll always been friends. We will always root for each other.”

Just not so much in Toronto.

Join the BSD FB page by CLICKING HERE

Follow us on twitter by CLICKING HERE
Working...
X