Good-
Edwards took a shot, and came back.
Nice stable of RB's.
Spiller.

Bad-
the POS struggled.
Maybin's lucky we're thin at LB.

Ugly-
Special teams, especially coverage units.
Ellis Lankster.

Bonus-
Corner and Ellison are toast.

psubills62
08-19-2010, 09:56 PM
Poz didn't look very good the couple times I saw him. Maybin's pass rush has been lacking for sure, but I'll tell you what - he's been better against the run than I've expected.

Agree for the most part, though I'd put Lankster in the bad - he got burned badly on the one Taj Smith catch, the other he had good coverage and had decent coverage the rest of the way.

TacklingDummy
08-19-2010, 11:08 PM
Ugly: Donte Whitner

psubills62
08-19-2010, 11:21 PM
Hopefully this isn't too early to say, but I'd add "no significant injuries" to the good. As far as I saw, no one got injured (finally!). Correct me if that is wrong.

ublinkwescore
08-19-2010, 11:24 PM
I don't know what you guys were seeing about Whitner... I'll have to watch it again tomorrow on my DVR (I'm still watching the NFL Network coverage right now), but what I saw from him was 1/2 way decent...

VeggieMan14
08-19-2010, 11:37 PM
Ugly: Donte Whitner what? he was bringin the wood on people

TacklingDummy
08-19-2010, 11:40 PM
what? he was bringin the wood on people
Right. Guess you missed his whiff on the TD and him bouncing off another guy.

sqad5
08-19-2010, 11:41 PM
Well he did totally blow that addai touchdown run

VeggieMan14
08-19-2010, 11:42 PM
Right. Guess you missed his whiff on the TD and him bouncing off another guy. yea one play but there were 2 others where he lit ppl up... almost caused a fumble and almost had a pick

ublinkwescore
08-19-2010, 11:55 PM
TD had me thinking it was just my beergoggles that made me defend Whitner - but obviously others saw the same things...

ublinkwescore
08-20-2010, 12:01 AM
I think Youboty could be a second CB on most teams - I love our secondary.

DraftBoy
08-20-2010, 07:25 AM
Good-
RB Depth

Bad-
Stupar

Ugly-
Lankster

The King
08-20-2010, 07:32 AM
Langster was down right awful. Poz whiffed on about 3 tackles, but to be expected his first game back.

Leveitre was clueless on the Edwards hit.

Edwards did a hell of avoiding sacks... he got rid of the ball when he needed to and even stepped up in the pocket.

Brohm looked great throwing slants...

Chad Jackson looks like he might have potential.

I was not impressed with Steve Johnson.

Kyle Williams looks comfortable at NT, but the Ends were weak.

DraftBoy
08-20-2010, 07:41 AM
Cordaro Howard was getting abused inside as well again Moala (I think) got called for at least two holding penalties, one on Simpson's nice run in the 3rd Q.

Johnson should of made that catch in the 2nd that Lacy got a hand on, he's gotta display stronger hands than that and either the throw was off or his route was poor because he had a step on Lacy to the outside but suddenly takes half a step back to the inside allowing Lacy to close to the gap. Not sure which one it was though.

POS was brutal to watch, and shows I was wrong about him in a 3-4 thius far. I thought it would help him but he seems to be struggling with assignments.

Moats looked better and I thought our ST coverage looked very good.

better days
08-20-2010, 07:41 AM
Both Edwards & Brohm looked good, but before everyone gets all excited remember they were going against the cover2 defense not a 3-4. I think the Bills defense looked good, especially the DL & secondary.

Lankster again looked bad, does he get cut?

DraftBoy
08-20-2010, 07:43 AM
Lankster again looked bad, does he get cut?

Im not sure I see the DB depth some of the people are in love with. Corner and Lankster both have shown nothing, our first round pick has been struggling in McKelvin. I dont see this great depth we have, we have bodies, but that doesn't mean we have good depth.

mayotm
08-20-2010, 08:09 AM
I thought McKelvin looked good. Maining threw at him several times and McKelvin was in the correct position. That's encouraging.

Mahdi
08-20-2010, 08:16 AM
Poz didn't look very good the couple times I saw him. Maybin's pass rush has been lacking for sure, but I'll tell you what - he's been better against the run than I've expected.

Agree for the most part, though I'd put Lankster in the bad - he got burned badly on the one Taj Smith catch, the other he had good coverage and had decent coverage the rest of the way.
Agreed. Maybin needs polish on his pass rush but he battled on run D. We can't say he dogs it out there, the guy plays with a ton of effort.

Mahdi
08-20-2010, 08:17 AM
Im not sure I see the DB depth some of the people are in love with. Corner and Lankster both have shown nothing, our first round pick has been struggling in McKelvin. I dont see this great depth we have, we have bodies, but that doesn't mean we have good depth.
McKelvin didn't struggle at all yesterday, he was all over the place, not sure what you saw. Corner also stepped it up yesterday.

We are 4 CBs deep on defense. And Youboty makes it 5. The guy is talented.

OpIv37
08-20-2010, 08:23 AM
My opinions on Whitner are no secret, but I have to say that I thought he played well. He probably should have had an INT, but at least he got his hands on the ball. And he made several other plays as well.

k-oneputt
08-20-2010, 08:27 AM
Whitner is what he is, AVERAGE. He was just overdrafted by the morons in office at the time.
O-line is still a problem. C. Green sucks and he will end up really being a problem this year. I wasn't that impressed w/ Merideth either. Levitre had a poor game also. And Hang. is barely a functionable center.
youboty played well. Lankster is gonna get cut.
I think it's obvious that our two Penn St. lbers are way overrated.
Spiller as most knew is the real deal.
Trent looks to be, by far our best qb. If we can keep him upright he may be adequate this year.

Mahdi
08-20-2010, 08:29 AM
My opinions on Whitner are no secret, but I have to say that I thought he played well. He probably should have had an INT, but at least he got his hands on the ball. And he made several other plays as well.
Did you go to your Whitnaphobics anonymous meeting last night or something?

mayotm
08-20-2010, 08:32 AM
Im not sure I see the DB depth some of the people are in love with. Corner and Lankster both have shown nothing, our first round pick has been struggling in McKelvin. I dont see this great depth we have, we have bodies, but that doesn't mean we have good depth.Per reports, McKelvin hasn't had a great camp, but he played well last night.

OpIv37
08-20-2010, 08:49 AM
Did you go to your Whitnaphobics anonymous meeting last night or something?

Nah, just calling it as I see it. If I'm going to call him out when he has a bad game, then I also have to give him props when he has a good one. He wasn't stellar last night, but he was above average and far better than he's been in the past. So, I'll give him his due for this game and lay off until the next time he gives me reason to criticize him.

Mahdi
08-20-2010, 08:55 AM
Nah, just calling it as I see it. If I'm going to call him out when he has a bad game, then I also have to give him props when he has a good one. He wasn't stellar last night, but he was above average and far better than he's been in the past. So, I'll give him his due for this game and lay off until the next time he gives me reason to criticize him.
Fair enough. He did wiff on 2 tackles though, so I thought you would be all over him today.

I think Whitner will make more plays once the defense is rolling and pressuring the QB more. As a SS I like Whitner much more than at FS. We need the Byrdman.

DraftBoy
08-20-2010, 09:00 AM
McKelvin didn't struggle at all yesterday, he was all over the place, not sure what you saw. Corner also stepped it up yesterday.

We are 4 CBs deep on defense. And Youboty makes it 5. The guy is talented.

my statement was more of one about the entire preseason not just last nights game.

Beebe's Kid
08-20-2010, 09:03 AM

This brought a tear to me eye.

Here I am, all filled with homerism, and I logon and see Op said something nice about DW?

I give you credit Op, even though you have invested a lot of hate into DW, you can admit he looked good last night, and that is impressive. There are people that I guarantee didn't watch the game, then get on and say Whitner looked bad. Then they will read about the missed tackle on the TD, and go to hell with joke, even though there were ten others that missed that, including the guy that "covered" him.

better days
08-20-2010, 09:04 AM
Fair enough. He did wiff on 2 tackles though, so I thought you would be all over him today.

I think Whitner will make more plays once the defense is rolling and pressuring the QB more. As a SS I like Whitner much more than at FS. We need the Byrdman.

Whitner has said this defense is a better fit for him & it sure looks like he knows what he is talking about.

Beebe's Kid
08-20-2010, 09:10 AM
my statement was more of one about the entire preseason not just last nights game.

McKelvin was playing like he was getting back into shape after having a broken leg or something. It is almost like the more practice he gets, the more strength he is regaining, and getting back to being a good player. I am sure last night, when he was a ****ing animal in my estimation is simply because it was against a weak passing attack, and he will regress back to early TC soon.

I don't know why they don't set something up so these guys play football before they have to come out and play important things like 7 on 7, and the first preseason game.

Man, I don't like to be a sarcastic bastard, but McKelvin looked ****ing good last night. Maybe we can solve the mystery about why he started? I was worried after the first game, but he settled that for me last night.

Poz played for the first time after surgery...I think it may be a similar situation if he can make it through roster cuts.

wmoz11
08-20-2010, 09:19 AM
Bad- Florence.

Three holding calls in less than a half of football? More than 1 coming on 3rd down?

psubills62
08-20-2010, 09:30 AM
Other things I thought were interesting: only one catch by a TE. I didn't watch the last part of the game, but I didn't see many throws at all to the TE, and I must have missed Stupar's one catch. Also, the QB's worked primarily from under center, with very little shotgun. I wonder how Brohm would do out of the shotgun.

ublinkwescore
08-20-2010, 09:42 AM
Langster was down right awful. Poz whiffed on about 3 tackles, but to be expected his first game back.

Leveitre was clueless on the Edwards hit.

Edwards did a hell of avoiding sacks... he got rid of the ball when he needed to and even stepped up in the pocket.

Brohm looked great throwing slants...

Chad Jackson looks like he might have potential.

I was not impressed with Steve Johnson.

Kyle Williams looks comfortable at NT, but the Ends were weak.

The ends were weak? what game were you watching - our DL looks very formidable, we need the LBs to step up and support them though.

ublinkwescore
08-20-2010, 09:48 AM
Cordaro Howard was getting abused inside as well again Moala (I think) got called for at least two holding penalties, one on Simpson's nice run in the 3rd Q.

Johnson should of made that catch in the 2nd that Lacy got a hand on, he's gotta display stronger hands than that and either the throw was off or his route was poor because he had a step on Lacy to the outside but suddenly takes half a step back to the inside allowing Lacy to close to the gap. Not sure which one it was though.

POS was brutal to watch, and shows I was wrong about him in a 3-4 thius far. I thought it would help him but he seems to be struggling with assignments.

Moats looked better and I thought our ST coverage looked very good.

Our special teams coverage was crap both punt and kickoff.

OpIv37
08-20-2010, 09:55 AM
yeah I'm with ublink on this one. All 3 first half kickoffs resulted in significant gains, and there was at least one punt in the first half that wasn't covered well (and I believe it eventually led to one of Indy's touchdowns).

S/T definitely took a hit from the loss of Bobby April, and so far it's most noticeable on kick and punt coverage.

psubills62
08-20-2010, 10:05 AM
I'm sure this won't make any of his detractors feel better, but Poz is at least aware that he stunk:

http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2010/08/20/poz-unhappy-with-debut/

Paul Posluszny was far from satisfied with his performance Thursday night.

Just three weeks removed from minor groin surgery, Poz gave it a go against the Colts seeing his first live action and admitted that personally his performance left something to be desired.

“I definitely found out that I have a long way to go,” he said. ”I wasn’t comfortable with the way I played or the way I felt so it was good to out there and get some experience again, but it also made me realize that I have a lot of work to do before the regular season starts.”

Leading up to the game Poz talked about how he wanted to react quickly to the offense within the new 3-4 scheme. But Poz’s issues with his play dealt more with his endurance and some of his fundamental techniques.

There were a lot of things. I didn’t tackle well, this was the first live tackling I’ve done since we played Indy last year, and you could tell that I didn’t tackle well. Conditioning, I need to be able to run to the ball a little better, I wasn’t in game shape and that is something that will come with time. Those are the two main things.”

With two more preseason games in which to tune up, Poz should be much closer to rounding his game into form for the opener.

ublinkwescore
08-20-2010, 10:13 AM
I think (and seriously hope) that Poz will be alright when the real bullets are flying.

psubills62
08-20-2010, 10:29 AM
Oh, and regarding injuries, Schouman was apparently injured, according to CB. Not sure how serious it is, though.

Does the team practice at all today?

ublinkwescore
08-20-2010, 10:39 AM
schouman had someone roll up into his right ankle I believe - he walked off the field on his own, hopefully it's not too bad - may have been his knee too. (his right lower leg I should say, so it could be either ankle or knee - either way, I hope it's not serious).

mayotm
08-20-2010, 10:43 AM
yeah I'm with ublink on this one. All 3 first half kickoffs resulted in significant gains, and there was at least one punt in the first half that wasn't covered well (and I believe it eventually led to one of Indy's touchdowns).

S/T definitely took a hit from the loss of Bobby April, and so far it's most noticeable on kick and punt coverage.There's no arguing that the special teams have been bad. That stated, I think special teams is the most difficult part to judge during pre-season. More than the offense and defense, the special teams are flooded with players that won't be on the roster. I don't think we've seen much yet of the players that will actually be on the special teams during the regular season. It's the reason we see so many more returns for TD's league wide during the pre-season. Again, I'm not defedning the the poor play, just offering an explanation.

Jan Reimers
08-20-2010, 10:48 AM
We need our best ST coverage guy, Jon Corto, to come back from injury.