PDA

View Full Version : Joique Bell, wow...

Extremebillsfan247
08-19-2010, 10:24 PM
80 yards on a 11 carries. That is over 7 yards a touch. He now has rushing tds in 2 consecutive games. I know a lot of focus is on Spiller, Jackson, etc.. But this kid is earning some respect out there. I felt compelled to say something.. Good player, if he doesn't make the cut here, some other team is going to snatch him up quick. JMO... Your thoughts?

Nighthawk
08-19-2010, 10:25 PM
I would hate to see them cut him...he will be picked up. Shows tons of potential...

Mad Max
08-19-2010, 10:27 PM
80 yards on a 11 carries. That is over 7 yards a touch. He now has rushing tds in 2 consecutive games. I know a lot of focus is on Spiller, Jackson, etc.. But this kid is earning some respect out there. I felt compelled to say something.. Good player, if he doesn't make the cut here, some other team is going to snatch him up quick. JMO... Your thoughts?

He'll make the team. He reminds me a little of Travis Henry, doesn't have elite speed but somehow always gets good chunks of yardage everytime he touches the ball.

mrbojanglezs
08-19-2010, 10:27 PM
you have to keep 4 backs you don't cut talent, esp with how much we are gonna run we should keep 4

fred marshawn cj bell....wow thats some great depth!!!

DraftBoy
08-19-2010, 10:29 PM
He's been ok so far...

Also had a catch tonight for 9 yards.

Btw leads the NFL right now in total rushing yards with 132 yards as well as 2 TD's.

justasportsfan
08-19-2010, 10:31 PM
He's been ok so far...

Btw leads the NFL right now in total rushing yards with 132 yards as well as 2 TD's.
someones gonna sleep well tonight . Wet dream

Mad Max
08-19-2010, 10:31 PM
He's been ok so far...

lol, so the implication is "we ain't seen nothing yet", eh?

I think we've seen enough to start partaking in your Kool-Aid a bit.

DraftBoy
08-19-2010, 10:34 PM
someones gonna sleep well tonight . Wet dream
No wet dream, but Im happy to see him living up to his potential.

DraftBoy
08-19-2010, 10:35 PM
lol, so the implication is "we ain't seen nothing yet", eh?

I think we've seen enough to start partaking in your Kool-Aid a bit.

I think you'll see more, possibly much more in Game 4, depends on the status of Jackson and Lynch.

Nighthawk
08-19-2010, 10:37 PM
He's been ok so far...

I'm not one to give out praise when it isn't earned, but he's been better then OK. He's been reading blocks very well and runs with some power. The kid has been very good so far.

ServoBillieves
08-19-2010, 10:45 PM
Someone has brought up this Bell character before... I can't remember who...

BillsWin
08-19-2010, 10:48 PM
I'd trade Lynch or Jackson. Start Spiller. Keep Bell as the third.

That's just me.

justasportsfan
08-19-2010, 10:52 PM
keep him. He and CJ will be our future 2 headed monsters .

Mad Max
08-19-2010, 10:54 PM
I'd trade Lynch or Jackson. Start Spiller. Keep Bell as the third.

That's just me.

If you could get a 2nd or 3rd for either pull the trigger immediately, keep Simpson and you probably don't miss a beat.

kingJofNYC
08-19-2010, 10:58 PM
I know he's doing it against 2nd/3rd stringers, but our OL depth is garbage and somehow he's putting up solid numbers.

Philagape
08-19-2010, 11:06 PM
His legs don't stop moving, he runs with authority, and he senses the flow well. That's the kind of guy you want on your roster.

wmoz11
08-19-2010, 11:16 PM
Bell will make the team and Simpson will be cut, though he's looked good, too. Bell also had a nice play on punt coverage so you can justify him remaining on the roster for special teams purposes as well.

TheGhostofJimKelly
08-20-2010, 06:50 AM
I think it might be best if we not get a lump in our pants because of last night, every year there are guys that look great and don't amount to anything. Let's give it another week before we crown this guy a keeper and get rid of one of the top three.

better days
08-20-2010, 07:47 AM
Bell will make the team and Simpson will be cut, though he's looked good, too. Bell also had a nice play on punt coverage so you can justify him remaining on the roster for special teams purposes as well.

Cuts will be tough at this position. I would like to keep them all if possible.

DraftBoy
08-20-2010, 07:47 AM
In all seriousness though, Ill say this on Bell.

He has shown me a little less than I think he is capable of but I think most of that is due to lack of consistent carries. Bell isn't Spiller he's not going to beat a team on 8-10 carries. The one thing Bell does so well counter to CJ is take advantage of poor tackling technique. CJ will make you miss but can be taken down by an arm tackle. Bell runs through those kinds of tackles and loses only minimal momentum which allows him to get more yardage at times than Spiller. As somebody noted above the kid keeps his legs churning constantly.

His blitz pickup last night was very good and something I know Chan Gailey will point out today in film review. He however again missed a punt team assignment and was washed out quickly in kick off coverage which is a concern of mine.

He is not guaranteed a spot on this team and I wouldnt go trading any of our big three away yet but I am happy with his performance so far. This guy isnt going to contribute much this season but in 2-3 he could be your Thunder to CJ's Lightning.

Goobylal
08-20-2010, 07:51 AM
He'll make the team. I think McIntrye and Simpson are the odd men out.

k-oneputt
08-20-2010, 08:33 AM
Bell has actually showed me more then what I was expecting. He has good instincts but may run into a numbers problem to make the team.

Tiburon1724
08-20-2010, 08:37 AM
Get rid of Lynch, seriously. He's nothing special...Jackson is great, Spiller and Bell are showing great talent and potential. Lynch's days are numbered anyway.

Mahdi
08-20-2010, 08:41 AM
I would hate to see them cut him...he will be picked up. Shows tons of potential...
Not possible. Bell cannot be cut. Simpson possibly but cutting Bell would be a sign that nothing has changed at OBD.

Mahdi
08-20-2010, 08:43 AM
Get rid of Lynch, seriously. He's nothing special...Jackson is great, Spiller and Bell are showing great talent and potential. Lynch's days are numbered anyway.
When Lynch gets good holes the guy is a menace. Jackson may find the holes better but Lynch just dominates at the second level. With our OL run blocking the way they are Lynch can be a beast this year.

I am leaning towards trading Jackson.

dasaybz
08-20-2010, 08:45 AM
I wouldn't trade any of them. We need solid players, and this team gets hurt like crazy. You don't trade away good players just to make a trade.

That being said, Bell reminds me so much of Travis Henry. Just gains chunks of yardage, and keeps going forward, and his low center of gravity makes him very hard to tackle.

Mahdi
08-20-2010, 08:49 AM
I wouldn't trade any of them. We need solid players, and this team gets hurt like crazy. You don't trade away good players just to make a trade.

That being said, Bell reminds me so much of Travis Henry. Just gains chunks of yardage, and keeps going forward, and his low center of gravity makes him very hard to tackle.
I don't mind keeping them all and that is what I would do, but if they are going to trade one of them, I would have it be Jackson, as much as I respect and like the guy.

Can we keep 5 RBs though? 6 with McIntyre? Cause Simpson looks like a little bolt of lightning himself.

justasportsfan
08-20-2010, 10:10 AM
our running game made life easy for our qb's yesterday. This is why I am against trading away any of our rb's.

Pound the ball and open up the pass. That's how Lee got the TD. They were playing the run.

Lynch may not be dynamic, but no rb on our team can punish defenders like he can.

Ingtar33
08-20-2010, 11:15 AM
I'm glad to see him doing well.

it was a crime when he went undrafted; he should have gone in round 3 or 4... but somehow teams overlooked him. not sure how. but it happened.

stuckincincy
08-20-2010, 11:17 AM
In all seriousness though, Ill say this on Bell.

He has shown me a little less than I think he is capable of but I think most of that is due to lack of consistent carries. Bell isn't Spiller he's not going to beat a team on 8-10 carries. The one thing Bell does so well counter to CJ is take advantage of poor tackling technique. CJ will make you miss but can be taken down by an arm tackle. Bell runs through those kinds of tackles and loses only minimal momentum which allows him to get more yardage at times than Spiller. As somebody noted above the kid keeps his legs churning constantly.

His blitz pickup last night was very good and something I know Chan Gailey will point out today in film review. He however again missed a punt team assignment and was washed out quickly in kick off coverage which is a concern of mine.

He is not guaranteed a spot on this team and I wouldnt go trading any of our big three away yet but I am happy with his performance so far. This guy isnt going to contribute much this season but in 2-3 he could be your Thunder to CJ's Lightning.

Thank you for your observations about Bell's blocking.

It's hard to think that BUF would carry 4 rbs on the 53 man roster. They have depth problems in other areas, and Bell wouldn't be the 1st young rb that lit it up in the preseason. The local team here, CIN, has had several through the years. DeeDee Dorsey comes to mind - he was picked up by IND and got a ring, has been in and out of a B'gals roster a number of times. I think he's currently a member of the DET team.

As for a PS spot - my recollections are that rbs aren't usually kept on one. Other needs.

Tough choices...

Hogwasher
08-20-2010, 11:21 AM
I actually would start simpson over Bell. I think Bell just isnt fast enough.

dasaybz
08-20-2010, 11:36 AM
Speed isn't everything...

Mahdi
08-20-2010, 11:38 AM
Bell is plenty fast. Watch the TD run against the Skins... he runs away from that DB easily. He takes long powerful strides. I love his running style.

Thief
08-20-2010, 02:54 PM
Bell ran in the low 4.5s I think. That is probably the average for a NFL RB.

mysticsoto
08-20-2010, 03:14 PM
our running game made life easy for our qb's yesterday. This is why I am against trading away any of our rb's.

Pound the ball and open up the pass. That's how Lee got the TD. They were playing the run.

Lynch may not be dynamic, but no rb on our team can punish defenders like he can.

I wish we could keep all of them, but if can get a high 2nd for either Lynch or Jackson, we better jump at it. Next year we will likely be faced with getting a franchise QB and a franchise LT and if we could have an extra pick to trade up and fill our 2 biggest needs, we could jump into being a contender quickly!!!

Billz_fan
08-20-2010, 03:22 PM
They need to find room for this kid. He has done everything so far to get a job. I will also flip out if they were to let him walk and keep friggin Marshawn. Sad I can say that about one of our 1st round beautys. lol

trapezeus
08-20-2010, 03:36 PM
he has been impressive. i just wish some poster would have made a personal cause to herald this guy before he started to play in the preseason. it seems like such a shame that i have to be the guy that claims i discovered him. all that because posters who typically like to "scout" players never said anything. ;-)

just playing with you DB. Good find on Bell.

Buffalogic
08-20-2010, 03:48 PM
Bell is plenty fast. Watch the TD run against the Skins... he runs away from that DB easily. He takes long powerful strides. I love his running style.The only reason he got that TD in Washington is because the DB ran out of field. It was a 30 yard run, he wouldn't have made it to the endzone if it were 40+ yards.

Like I said during the draft Joique has good instincts but he will never be a homerun guy. He knows how to put the ball in the endzone though. He's got a nose for it bigtime. That's why I think if we're trading any back it's Marshawn, because Joique would be great on the goaline, something Marshawn would do if he stays here.

trapezeus
08-20-2010, 03:51 PM
not everyone has to be a homerun guy. in the indy game, he was consistently running for 3-5 yards. i'll take that. he wore down the colts by the end of the game. the runs were getting longer.

consistency at all positions wins us games.

Buffalogic
08-20-2010, 04:01 PM
not everyone has to be a homerun guy. in the indy game, he was consistently running for 3-5 yards. i'll take that. he wore down the colts by the end of the game. the runs were getting longer.

consistency at all positions wins us games.Joique reminds me of every single back named Bell in the league. All of them are just not flashy but run well in short distances.

Mr. Pink
08-20-2010, 04:30 PM
Bell vs Simpson is probably the closest race on who stays and who goes on this roster.

A case can be made to keep either one.

Do you want a veteran who contributes on special teams who has been a winner?
OR
Do you want a youngster who can block shockingly well and shows good initial burst and hole recognition?

It's a numbers game and unfortunately one of the two won't be here come September.

DraftBoy
08-21-2010, 12:47 PM
Bell ran in the low 4.5s I think. That is probably the average for a NFL RB.
Mid 4.6 was his average

DraftBoy
08-21-2010, 12:50 PM
Bell vs Simpson is probably the closest race on who stays and who goes on this roster.

A case can be made to keep either one.

Do you want a veteran who contributes on special teams who has been a winner?
OR
Do you want a youngster who can block shockingly well and shows good initial burst and hole recognition?

It's a numbers game and unfortunately one of the two won't be here come September.

Bell plays both ST coverages team and had a big ST tackle in the last game on a punt return to answer your question;

If we were a playoff team or close to being one, Id say I want the vet who has won, but since we are not give me the youth and potential. But Im also bias.

Beautiful East
08-21-2010, 02:28 PM
People saying that Bell isn't flashy haven't checked out the various highlight vids on youtube. Yeah, I know he played for Wayne State...

He doesn't have sensational straight line speed. Quite frankly, that's about the only negative thing I can say about him so far. And if he makes up for that deficit by being elusive or breaking tackles, I'm fine with that.

What his highlight reels show, is that there isn't really anything he can't do. That reaches from hurdling over defenders with an estimated hang time of two and ahalf seconds to chasing down a kick returner to tackle him at the one yd line.

Combine that with consistently grinding out between two and four yards each carry and a very pleasant off-field appearance - I think you've got a pretty good set of arguments to not let him be picked up by another team.

The Jokeman
08-21-2010, 07:02 PM
keep him. He and CJ will be our future 2 headed monsters .
For three years before we look to part ways with them both.

starrymessenger
08-22-2010, 02:02 PM
JB is plenty "football fast" enough. We have already seen him maintain separation against DBs once at the second level. If his alleged lack of speed is what caused him to go undrafted well then its just more scouting conventional wisdom that doesn't really make much sense (think of all the teams that passed on J. Rice). Given our transition on the defensive side of the ball, our inability to throw downfield, the probability that our O-line will run block better than pass block and our stable of good RBs, Bell should fit nicely into Chan's plan for a basic run first ball control offense. So to me he looks like a keeper. Only concern is his ability to contribute to STs and ball security.
BTW it takes more than an arm to tackle CJ.