PDA

View Full Version : Jerry Sullivan, "Why not give Brohm a shot with the starters?"

BillsWin
08-19-2010, 10:27 PM
Brian Brohm got into the act, throwing a gorgeous sideline pass to Chad Jackson that led to a field goal and a 24-21 lead at halftime. Here's an idea: If there really is an "open" competition at quarterback, why not give Brohm a chance to play with the starters in a preseason game? Or has Edwards sewed up the job with one long TD pass to Evans?

My opinion? Well as Dr. Lecter, SAB and a few others have pointed out, I'm a Brohm supporter. But, I'm against this. As much as I would love to see what he could do, Edwards showed improvement from preseason game one to tonight. So, I think he earned another start. The third preseason game is the starters' last tuneup. You don't throw off team continuity when they are improving as a unit. If Edwards had come out and laid an egg, yes I'd say Brohm deserves a shot. However, Edwards held off the competition. I think, if anything, Brohm playing with the second team tonight might have proved to be motivation for Trent to take some downfield shots. (That or having three of your o-line starters in there...)

But absolutely, I would play Brohm with the second team.

Nighthawk
08-19-2010, 10:35 PM
My opinion? Well as Dr. Lecter, SAB and a few others have pointed out, I'm a Brohm supporter. But, I'm against this. As much as I would love to see what he could do, Edwards showed improvement from preseason game one to tonight. So, I think he earned another start. The third preseason game is the starters' last tuneup. You don't throw off team continuity when they are improving as a unit. If Edwards had come out and laid an egg, yes I'd say Brohm deserves a shot. However, Edwards held off the competition. I think, if anything, Brohm playing with the second team tonight might have proved to be motivation for Trent to take some downfield shots. (That or having three of your o-line starters in there...)

At this point, it's Edwards' job. That being said, there is absolutely no good reason that Brohm should not be the 2nd string QB on this roster this year. I'm done with the useless, upside-less, zero potential...Fitz. The roster should look like this:

Edwards
Brohm
Brown

PERIOD!

BillsWin
08-19-2010, 10:39 PM
I agree Nighthawk. But, just don't mention it to HH.

Nighthawk
08-19-2010, 10:42 PM
I agree Nighthawk. But, just don't mention it to HH.

Oh, I have been and will continue to do so...his arguement that going with the veteran backup on a rebuilding team, makes no sense.

BillsWin
08-19-2010, 10:47 PM
Oh, I have been and will continue to do so...his arguement that going with the veteran backup on a rebuilding team, makes no sense.

Edwards played well enough tonight. I'm just going to let HH have his little moment.

JCBills
08-19-2010, 10:59 PM
Outside of the drive with Spiller's TD, and Lee beating everyone by a mile, the first unit had a lot of short drives. I think people are getting wrapped up in the long TD because they only saw two 40+ yd pass attempts from Trent last season.

Jeff1220
08-19-2010, 11:00 PM
Why not give both Edwards and Brohm reps with the starting unit in the next game? :idunno:

BillsWin
08-19-2010, 11:01 PM
A stat that isn't mentioned. Brohm's first drive went for a methodical 13 plays and 63 yards. Despite ugly snaps.

Honestly, that center sucks.

homeslice5484
08-19-2010, 11:07 PM
Gailey said he would consider it

psubills62
08-19-2010, 11:23 PM
If Gailey was impressed with Brohm tonight, he'll start getting a few snaps with the first team offense in practice. At this point I doubt it will happen in one of the 2 remaining games.

BillsWin
08-19-2010, 11:24 PM
Gailey said he would consider it

Where did he say that? I've been waiting for bb.com to put up the postgame interview.

homeslice5484
08-19-2010, 11:40 PM
in his postgame...i was listening to it

djjimkelly
08-19-2010, 11:55 PM
all i know is brohm is smooth hes by far the best we have

djjimkelly
08-19-2010, 11:58 PM
and his ball is out on time. unlike other qbs we have seen here in last 10 years and that includes JP and bledsoe and flutie.

the slant back in our offense amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SABURZFAN
08-20-2010, 02:45 AM

i know i give you crap about Brohm but i have to agree with Sully. one good game doesn't sew up the starting job for Edwards. (that's my opinion) like Sully, i haven't seen an open competition at QB. when is this going to happen?

DMBcrew36
08-20-2010, 04:39 AM
Edwards will probably get injured not long after the season starts anyway. Brohm will get his chance sooner or later.

better days
08-20-2010, 07:56 AM
Edwards played well enough tonight. I'm just going to let HH have his little moment.

Edwards played well but it was against a cover 2 defense. His problem has always been playing against the 3-4 defense.

mikemac2001
08-20-2010, 08:10 AM
A stat that isn't mentioned. Brohm's first drive went for a methodical 13 plays and 63 yards. Despite ugly snaps.

Honestly, that center sucks.

It was so ****ing annoying every snap was low tirades his ankles and he managed to still
Make plays He didn't panick that's what I got most out of him

jmb1099
08-20-2010, 10:01 AM

I think it would be fascinating to see what Brohm could do with the first string. What the Brohm detractors are failing to acknowledge is that he looked very good playing against second and third tier players while he was playing with second and third tier players. I was disappointed that he only led them to a fg, but it was also his first time out on the field. Also, his numbers were better then that of Edwards and Fitzpatrick in their first starts this year.

Edwards in his first game was 6/12 for 58 yards and an interception
Fitzpatrick was 9/14 for 61 yards and a td
Brohm was 14/21 for 125 yards no int.

Here's the stats after two games
Edwards 11/20 151 yards and a td QB rating 75.2
Brohm 14/21 125 no td. QB rating 82.4

So yeah, I think Brohm should get some first team reps to see what he can do.

Michael82
08-20-2010, 04:56 PM
Wow! I actually agree with Sully about something? That's crazy! At the very least, split the next game with both Edwards and Brohm getting a chance with the starters....

BillsWin
08-20-2010, 05:05 PM
If Brohm gets first team reps, it means Fitz is as good as gone.

mightysimi
08-20-2010, 05:07 PM
I don't get it. If we truly want the team to improve as a unit, why take valuable time away from Trent with the starters. The stats are misleading too, sure Brohm's numbers are comparable but against inferior talent.

Sure Brohm is higher rated but less yards per completion, more attempts and no TD's.

I'm not a huge Edwards fan but if the team is going to get any better, they need to stick with 1 guy so the team has a chance to improve as whole.

jmb1099
08-20-2010, 05:10 PM
He also played with inferior talent which is exactly why it would be good to see him have a crack with the.starting squad.

I don't get it. If we truly want the team to improve as a unit, why take valuable time away from Trent with the starters. The stats are misleading too, sure Brohm's numbers are comparable but against inferior talent.

Sure Brohm is higher rated but less yards per completion, more attempts and no TD's.

I'm not a huge Edwards fan but if the team is going to get any better, they need to stick with 1 guy so the team has a chance to improve as whole.

JCBills
08-20-2010, 05:28 PM

Yeah, the stats are misleading. One of the best ways to evaluate a performance is to take out a guy's best play and look at the rest of the numbers.

So take away Lee Evans smoking everyone, and Trent was less than impressive, YPA drops to a whopping 3.3. Obviously the guy with less attempts and the gift of broken coverage will have a higher YPA. If Trent missed that throw again the board would have crucified him. Completion % drops to 57%.

Take away Brohm's 26 yd completion to Jackson, and his YPA is 5.00. Nothing great, but sure as hell better than 3.3 yds. Completion % drops to 65%.

This was also Brohm's first live action. Trent's first go-around this preseason wasn't exactly phenomenal. Until they absolutely know what they have in both of them I say keep it open.

Crisis
08-20-2010, 05:38 PM
if you take away spiller's longest run he was pretty average!

HHURRICANE
08-20-2010, 05:53 PM
Where did he say that? I've been waiting for bb.com to put up the postgame interview.

Gailey on Brohm's performane: "okay and fine"

Johnny Bugmenot
08-20-2010, 06:13 PM
Well, some running backs are like that. Willie Parker made an entire career out of one big play a game and less than 2 yards a carry outside of that.

better days
08-20-2010, 06:32 PM

That sounds a lot better than "he should be cut".

homeslice5484
08-20-2010, 06:34 PM
i cannot watch Fitz throw the football anymore, hes is so innacruate it makes JP Losman look good again and JP had a much better arm!

mightysimi
08-20-2010, 07:12 PM
Yeah, the stats are misleading. One of the best ways to evaluate a performance is to take out a guy's best play and look at the rest of the numbers.

So take away Lee Evans smoking everyone, and Trent was less than impressive, YPA drops to a whopping 3.3. Obviously the guy with less attempts and the gift of broken coverage will have a higher YPA. If Trent missed that throw again the board would have crucified him. Completion % drops to 57%.

Take away Brohm's 26 yd completion to Jackson, and his YPA is 5.00. Nothing great, but sure as hell better than 3.3 yds. Completion % drops to 65%.

This was also Brohm's first live action. Trent's first go-around this preseason wasn't exactly phenomenal. Until they absolutely know what they have in both of them I say keep it open.

Right you do have me if you take the best play away but there is no stat that measures the difference in talent that they played against.

mightysimi
08-20-2010, 07:14 PM

Yeah but if he is pretty average other than juking 3 guys out of their jocks and breaking a 30 yard touchdown every game I'll take it.

better days
08-20-2010, 07:15 PM
Right you do have me if you take the best play away but there is no stat that measures the difference in talent that they played against.

Or WITH. That is the whole point of letting Brohm see time with the #1's. It will make for a better evaluation.

JCBills
08-20-2010, 07:30 PM

There's also no stat that measures the level of talent he had to work with, which is why people are saying give him time with the 1's. Not trying to argue.

mightysimi
08-20-2010, 07:40 PM
There's also no stat that measures the level of talent he had to work with, which is why people are saying give him time with the 1's. Not trying to argue.

You are right. But for the growth of the offence as a whole, I don't think you can switch QB's going into the 3rd and arguable the most important pre-season game.

JCBills
08-20-2010, 07:47 PM
You are right. But for the growth of the offence as a whole, I don't think you can switch QB's going into the 3rd and arguable the most important pre-season game.

He doesn't have to start the game, but he should get some time with the first unit, or let him start the 4th game with the first unit and continue with the second, give him a chance to make a statement, as this is a competition.

YardRat
08-20-2010, 09:05 PM
Sullivan's still a douche.

Regardless of who Chan ends up going with at #2, they should get some reps with the first team in the preseason.

better days
08-20-2010, 09:48 PM

Does it really matter if it takes the offense an exta week to gel? Use the 4th game like the 3rd is normally used. It is clear Chan is not using the preseason as teams normally do. It isn't like this team is going to the Super Bowl anyway.

mightysimi
08-20-2010, 09:49 PM
He doesn't have to start the game, but he should get some time with the first unit, or let him start the 4th game with the first unit and continue with the second, give him a chance to make a statement, as this is a competition.

How long do you want to play your starters? You risk him not getting a fair shot because he'll get only a couple of series. Or if you cut Trent's night short you risk the O's development. I see what you are saying, I'm actually not really opposed to seeing what he can do but, I think it is only a competition because he says they are all open. I think it's pretty obvious that Gailey is going to have Trent start so what do you gain from giving him a couple of series with the 1's. 4th game, maybe but then you barely want to play the starters there too. And I would hope the coaching staff isn't going to change the starting QB the week before the season opens.

YardRat
08-20-2010, 09:50 PM
Does it really matter if it takes the offense an exta week to gel? Use the 4th game like the 3rd is normally used. It is clear Chan is not using the preseason as teams normally do. It isn't like this team is going to the Super Bowl anyway.

I think that's exactly what Chan is going to do.

jmb1099
08-20-2010, 09:53 PM
Gailey on Trent's performance" he still has some things to work on"

Philagape
08-20-2010, 09:54 PM
I think it would be fascinating to see what Brohm could do with the first string. What the Brohm detractors are failing to acknowledge is that he looked very good playing against second and third tier players while he was playing with second and third tier players. I was disappointed that he only led them to a fg, but it was also his first time out on the field. Also, his numbers were better then that of Edwards and Fitzpatrick in their first starts this year.

Edwards in his first game was 6/12 for 58 yards and an interception
Fitzpatrick was 9/14 for 61 yards and a td
Brohm was 14/21 for 125 yards no int.

Here's the stats after two games
Edwards 11/20 151 yards and a td QB rating 75.2
Brohm 14/21 125 no td. QB rating 82.4

So yeah, I think Brohm should get some first team reps to see what he can do.

Well if you go by stats, Fitz should start. Rating 97.6

better days
08-20-2010, 10:00 PM

Well going by that, it looks like Trent comes in a distant 3rd.

jmb1099
08-20-2010, 10:01 PM
Now see Phil that is exactly why I included all the stats and not just the rating.

Philagape
08-20-2010, 10:23 PM
Well going by that, it looks like Trent comes in a distant 3rd.

Yup, so?

Brohm is the only one who hasn't gotten into the end zone.

mightysimi
08-20-2010, 10:30 PM

You could do that. But even the most loyal Brohm supporters can't say that they think he is the QB we have been looking for and there is no need to draft one. I'm a Louisville fan, I've liked Brohm for a while but if he hasn't taken the job now, I don't think it makes any sense to do anything like that.

I know a lot stems from people not liking Edwards and Brohm is not Edwards but, why put the rest of the O out of sync. Because the timing has to be different with each guy.

better days
08-20-2010, 10:36 PM
Yup, so?

Well, Trent didn't get into the endzone in his 1st game either.

Philagape
08-20-2010, 10:38 PM
Well, Trent didn't get into the endzone in his 1st game either.

Who's defending Trent?

better days
08-20-2010, 10:46 PM
Who's defending Trent?

I'm just saying. I hope HH is right about Trent because it will give the Bills a better chance to win if he is, but if Trent plays against the 3-4 like last year & the Skins it would be nice to have an option other than Fitz.

Buddo
08-21-2010, 06:35 AM
'Why not give Brohm a chance?' - Because until Gailey deems otherwise, he hasn't done enough to earn it.
Last I looked, Gailey is the guy who is the HC, not some washed up hack, who will probably still be dissing the Bills, even if they get back to a SB.
The day Nix basically told Sully that he didn't give a damn what he thought, was a good day, and a good sign for the future.

jmb1099
08-21-2010, 07:53 AM
Yup, so?

Took Trent two games...

jmb1099
08-21-2010, 08:00 AM
Who's defending Trent?
You have the appearance of mounting a defense.
In Brohm's first semi-real NFL action what did you think? Likes, dislikes? Its obvious to me he doesn't suck, but I certainly wouldn't say he lit it up by any means. However, he did outperform the other two clowns in their first bid and I was consistent is saying that's what I was looking for. Mission accomplished.
I also said I looked for Trent to be better than the previous week and he was.
But I am curious to hear your opinion. Do you still think he's awful? Or did he show you something positive against INDY?

JCBills
08-21-2010, 10:29 AM
Yup, so?

Well, it took Trent two games, and I'd credit Lee 100x before giving that play to Trent. If he DIDN'T hit someone wide open by a mile, his showing was very, very average.

Who's defending Trent?

When you mention one in comparison to the other, people will tend to point out facts. The initial statement looked like enough of a defense, the denial is even funnier.

Brohm is also the only one to look like he has a pair swingin between his legs.

Hogwasher
08-21-2010, 10:50 AM
Why not give Jerry Sullivan a shot with a harpoon?

Philagape
08-21-2010, 12:03 PM
Well, it took Trent two games, and I'd credit Lee 100x before giving that play to Trent. If he DIDN'T hit someone wide open by a mile, his showing was very, very average.

When the pass is perfect, as it was, it doesn't matter how open the receiver is. Evans could have had only one step, and it still would be the same result. And Evans got open because of the play fake out of a full house. It wasn't just a receiver beating a DB; it was a blown coverage because of the design of the play.

When you mention one in comparison to the other, people will tend to point out facts. The initial statement looked like enough of a defense, the denial is even funnier.

Why? I didn't mention Trent until the post "Who's defending Trent?"
Other than two passes, I wasn't impressed with him at all, he sucked donkeys the week before, and unless he goes back in time two years, the Bills are going nowhere with him as the starter. He's a coward and he's a loser.

Brohm is also the only one to look like he has a pair swingin between his legs.

It's easy to look poised and decisive when you know what you're going to do before the snap, without having to spend any time in the pocket and read the play as it's developing. That's QB kindergarten.
That won't cut it in the NFL. It didn't cut it the other night either; it's the reason why Brohm's offense produced three points in five series.
What I see is people who want Brohm to win the job lowering the bar for him. That's all I'm addressing here. As a legit starting prospect, Brohm did not impress me at all; none of them have.

JCBills
08-21-2010, 12:26 PM
When the pass is perfect, as it was, it doesn't matter how open the receiver is. Evans could have had only one step, and it still would be the same result. And Evans got open because of the play fake out of a full house. It wasn't just a receiver beating a DB; it was a blown coverage because of the design of the play.

Except when it's Trent, it does matter how open the WR is, because if they aren't he doesn't throw it. He missed a similar throw to a wide open Stevie J the week before.

Hey, if it somehow clicks and Trent decides he wants to be a QB, I'm all for it. He's just yet to show too many things through 30 starts and preseason action.

JCBills
08-21-2010, 01:31 PM
It's easy to look poised and decisive when you know what you're going to do before the snap, without having to spend any time in the pocket and read the play as it's developing. That's QB kindergarten.
That won't cut it in the NFL. It didn't cut it the other night either; it's the reason why Brohm's offense produced three points in five series.
What I see is people who want Brohm to win the job lowering the bar for him. That's all I'm addressing here. As a legit starting prospect, Brohm did not impress me at all; none of them have.

He adjusted the play before the snap several times, maybe he knew what he was looking at and was able to go with his first or second read as a result. He displayed trust in his WRs instead of settling every time.

"It was an option - a quarterback draw or fade and they brought another guy in the box," Brohm said of the Colts. "And I ended up throwing a fade to Chad and he made a great catch. He had one-on-one coverage out there and he was able to pull it down. I was just able to give him a chance to make a play, and he made it."

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/article152164.ece

Some of the plays were also obviously designed one step read and throw calls. All I'm saying is he showed some good things and didn't seem affected by pressure when making throws.