• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BillsWin
    man amongst boys
    • Oct 2008

Jerry Sullivan, "Why not give Brohm a shot with the starters?"

Brian Brohm got into the act, throwing a gorgeous sideline pass to Chad Jackson that led to a field goal and a 24-21 lead at halftime. Here's an idea: If there really is an "open" competition at quarterback, why not give Brohm a chance to play with the starters in a preseason game? Or has Edwards sewed up the job with one long TD pass to Evans?
    My opinion? Well as Dr. Lecter, SAB and a few others have pointed out, I'm a Brohm supporter. But, I'm against this. As much as I would love to see what he could do, Edwards showed improvement from preseason game one to tonight. So, I think he earned another start. The third preseason game is the starters' last tuneup. You don't throw off team continuity when they are improving as a unit. If Edwards had come out and laid an egg, yes I'd say Brohm deserves a shot. However, Edwards held off the competition. I think, if anything, Brohm playing with the second team tonight might have proved to be motivation for Trent to take some downfield shots. (That or having three of your o-line starters in there...)

But absolutely, I would play Brohm with the second team.
    I am The Batman.
  • Nighthawk
    Getting old waiting for a championship in Buffalo!
    • Jul 2002

Re: Jerry Sullivan, "Why not give Brohm a shot with the starters?"

Originally posted by BillsWin
    My opinion? Well as Dr. Lecter, SAB and a few others have pointed out, I'm a Brohm supporter. But, I'm against this. As much as I would love to see what he could do, Edwards showed improvement from preseason game one to tonight. So, I think he earned another start. The third preseason game is the starters' last tuneup. You don't throw off team continuity when they are improving as a unit. If Edwards had come out and laid an egg, yes I'd say Brohm deserves a shot. However, Edwards held off the competition. I think, if anything, Brohm playing with the second team tonight might have proved to be motivation for Trent to take some downfield shots. (That or having three of your o-line starters in there...)

At this point, it's Edwards' job. That being said, there is absolutely no good reason that Brohm should not be the 2nd string QB on this roster this year. I'm done with the useless, upside-less, zero potential...Fitz. The roster should look like this:

Edwards
    Brohm
    Brown

PERIOD!

Comment

• BillsWin
      man amongst boys
      • Oct 2008

I agree Nighthawk. But, just don't mention it to HH.
      I am The Batman.

Comment

• Nighthawk
        Getting old waiting for a championship in Buffalo!
        • Jul 2002

I agree Nighthawk. But, just don't mention it to HH.
        Oh, I have been and will continue to do so...his arguement that going with the veteran backup on a rebuilding team, makes no sense.

Comment

• BillsWin
          man amongst boys
          • Oct 2008

Originally posted by Nighthawk
          Oh, I have been and will continue to do so...his arguement that going with the veteran backup on a rebuilding team, makes no sense.
          Edwards played well enough tonight. I'm just going to let HH have his little moment.
          I am The Batman.

Comment

• JCBills
            • Jan 2010

Outside of the drive with Spiller's TD, and Lee beating everyone by a mile, the first unit had a lot of short drives. I think people are getting wrapped up in the long TD because they only saw two 40+ yd pass attempts from Trent last season.

Comment

• Jeff1220
              H to the 12:20
              • Jul 2002

Why not give both Edwards and Brohm reps with the starting unit in the next game?

Comment

• BillsWin
                man amongst boys
                • Oct 2008

A stat that isn't mentioned. Brohm's first drive went for a methodical 13 plays and 63 yards. Despite ugly snaps.

Honestly, that center sucks.
                I am The Batman.

Comment

• homeslice5484
                  • Jul 2008

Gailey said he would consider it

Comment

• psubills62
                    Legendary Zoner
                    • Sep 2008

If Gailey was impressed with Brohm tonight, he'll start getting a few snaps with the first team offense in practice. At this point I doubt it will happen in one of the 2 remaining games.
                    "Misguided political correctness tethers our intellects."
                    - Nicholas Cummings

Comment

• BillsWin
                      man amongst boys
                      • Oct 2008

Originally posted by homeslice5484
                      Gailey said he would consider it
                      Where did he say that? I've been waiting for bb.com to put up the postgame interview.
                      I am The Batman.

Comment

• homeslice5484
                        • Jul 2008

in his postgame...i was listening to it

Comment

• djjimkelly
                          • Apr 2003

all i know is brohm is smooth hes by far the best we have

Comment

• djjimkelly
                            • Apr 2003

and his ball is out on time. unlike other qbs we have seen here in last 10 years and that includes JP and bledsoe and flutie.

the slant back in our offense amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

• SABURZFAN
                              short bus extraordinaire
                              • Jul 2002

i know i give you crap about Brohm but i have to agree with Sully. one good game doesn't sew up the starting job for Edwards. (that's my opinion) like Sully, i haven't seen an open competition at QB. when is this going to happen?
                              Originally posted by yordad
                              Christ, you are the queerest person in the history of Bills fanhood. I swear to god I would stomp you.

Comment

Working...
                              X