X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ghz in pittsburgh
    • Aug 2004

Give Brohm due

Like I said before, my first impression of Brohm was not good (last year). But he showed me something last night.

We know Trent went through progressions very fast - part of his west coast upbringing by Walt Harris. Brohm on the other hand, seems to read defense very fast, something Gailey mentioned it before.

When the QB have time, Trent will always do better. He sees and he fires. And he does have consistent accurate throws.

When there is a pressure, especially when pressure comes fast and furious, I project Brohm will do better. Because when you understand what defense is doing to you fast, you anticipate better. Let the ball fly to where you have the best matchup. It was evident when the colts blitzed Brohm last night.

I'd love to see him facing a 3-4 defense where it is a little harder to read to gauge his ability. Still, he needs to improve his accuracy regardless.
  • mikemac2001
    is the creepy cross dresser staring at you in the corner
    • Mar 2003

Re: Give Brohm due

did you see how the low snaps didn't even phase him even with blitz's coming at him

he knew what was in front of him and took what he read and didn't panic

trent played good but i still feel come the season 3-4 will kill him

MUCK
    FIAMI

Comment

• jmb1099
      • Sep 2004

Originally posted by ghz in pittsburgh
      Like I said before, my first impression of Brohm was not good (last year). But he showed me something last night.

We know Trent went through progressions very fast - part of his west coast upbringing by Walt Harris. Brohm on the other hand, seems to read defense very fast, something Gailey mentioned it before.

When the QB have time, Trent will always do better. He sees and he fires. And he does have consistent accurate throws.

When there is a pressure, especially when pressure comes fast and furious, I project Brohm will do better. Because when you understand what defense is doing to you fast, you anticipate better. Let the ball fly to where you have the best matchup. It was evident when the colts blitzed Brohm last night.

I'd love to see him facing a 3-4 defense where it is a little harder to read to gauge his ability. Still, he needs to improve his accuracy regardless.
      I thought he did very well considering it was his first real game. It was obvious he understands defense and the slants were things of beauty. A little more work with the first team and one of those is being taken in for 6 or at least a very large gain. Also the sideline pass over the shoulder was beautiful.

Comment

• Mahdi
        • Mar 2004

Originally posted by mikemac2001
        did you see how the low snaps didn't even phase him even with blitz's coming at him

he knew what was in front of him and took what he read and didn't panic

trent played good but i still feel come the season 3-4 will kill him
        Looks like we have to suffer a couple of losses to Miami and Green Bay to figure out ONCE AGAIN, that Trent can't play.

Comment

• Beebe's Kid
          • Nov 2009

Originally posted by Mahdi
          Looks like we have to suffer a couple of losses to Miami and Green Bay to figure out ONCE AGAIN, that Trent can't play.
          That depends on how far Trent wants to go to try and prove he can...because if he tries to hang in there and make a decision under pressure, he will be injured quickly.

How bad do you think Brohm would like to beat the Packers in GB?
          Last edited by Beebe's Kid; 08-20-2010, 08:55 AM.

Comment

• Mahdi
            • Mar 2004

Originally posted by Beebe's Kid
            That depends on how far Trent wants to go to try and prove he can...because if he tries to hang in there and make a decision under pressure, he will be injured quickly.

How bad do you think Brohm would like to beat the Packers in GB?
            Bad enough to put a few ex-lax tablets in Trent's Gatorade I hope.

Comment

• HHURRICANE
              • Mar 2005

I think brohm has come a long way but he was playing against second string last night.

Still not sure he did enough to be #2. Not sure why levi Brown is loved so much on this board?

If i were the coach I'd keep the three we have and dump Brown to PS.

Comment

• Philagape
                WIN NOW
                • Jul 2002

Originally posted by HHURRICANE
                I think brohm has come a long way but he was playing against second string last night.

Still not sure he did enough to be #2. Not sure why levi Brown is loved so much on this board?

Plus, nobody seems to bring up the fact that in five Brohm possessions, the team scored three points.

He did well running a DIII offense. But he didn't do anything Trent's never done, and his play was marked by some of the same complaints about Trent: nothing but short stuff and little scoring.
                "It is better to be divided by truth than to be united by error." -- Martin Luther

"Those who appease the crocodile will simply be eaten last." -- Winston Churchill

2003 BZ Pick Em Champion
                2004 BZ Big Money League Champion

Comment

• jmb1099
                  • Sep 2004

Originally posted by Philagape
                  Plus, nobody seems to bring up the fact that in five Brohm possessions, the team scored three points.

He did well running a DIII offense. But he didn't do anything Trent's never done, and his play was marked by some of the same complaints about Trent: nothing but short stuff and little scoring.
                  I brought up the scoring thing twice. It was also his first game and he looked decent.

Comment

• jmb1099
                    • Sep 2004

Originally posted by HHURRICANE

He was also playing with second and third string. The only thing saving brown is that he has an arm that can throw a ball throw a brick wall.
                    I thought Trent did enough to be the starter and Brohm did more than enough in his first game to prove he belongs on the team.

Comment

• justasportsfan
                      • Jul 2002

Trent doesn't throw a lot of balls like Brohm made to Jackson. Jackson wasn't open but Brohm trusted him to make a play. That throw was no different from the Colts qb made when Lankster first got burned.

Throws like those and throwing into tight spaces are throws I am looking for in a qb. This is where Trent didn't have the confidence to make in the past.

I do have to give Trent credit for the throw he made to Lee. Lee didn't have to slow down. Trent hit him in stride. That gives Lee the advantage over his cover.
                      Last edited by justasportsfan; 08-20-2010, 09:54 AM.
                      sacrifice1
                      https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• psubills62
                        Legendary Zoner
                        • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Philagape

I've mentioned the scoring several times. Putting the ball in the end zone on the first drive would have gone a long way for Brohm.

He didn't do anything Trent's never done? Maybe on the stat sheet, yes. I saw him consistently hit the slant. I saw him consistently hit the open receiver who was sitting in the hole in the zone. I saw him pretty consistently throw the ball quickly and right to the receiver. Once in a while I see Trent doing those things.

You can say that his throws and Trent's throws were all "short stuff," but they are much, much different. Trent waits and waits and then dumps it off to his RB. Brohm zipped it out to his receiver as soon as he could. Brohm may have only thrown short passes, but he looked a heck of a lot more consistent and better than Trent.
                        "Misguided political correctness tethers our intellects."
                        - Nicholas Cummings

Comment

• justasportsfan
                          • Jul 2002

I agree with Philagape. Brohm didn't do anything that Trent hasn't done in the past. The difference is simply the quality of the throws. Ball gets to the wrs faster.
                          sacrifice1

Comment

• madness
                            • Apr 2003

Brohm looked decent against 2nd teamers completing short, high % passes but his inaccuracy got the best of him in the redzone and he settled for a check down on third and long while having an opportunity to go deep. His pass to Jackson was very nice but I did not see anything that warranted him starting over Trent. I do think you continue his development by bumping him up to #2.
                            Last edited by madness; 08-20-2010, 10:42 AM.

Comment

• justasportsfan
                              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by madness
                              I do think you continue his development by bumping him up to #2.

I just wonder how much better he could be if he was gettng as much snaps as Trent does at practice .
                              sacrifice1

Comment

Working...
                              X