PDA

View Full Version : Regardless Of Talent, Gailey Has Done It The Right Way

Night Train
08-20-2010, 07:01 PM
He still could be anything come 1PM Sundays in the Fall but Gailey has pressed all the right buttons so far, with what talent he has to work with. He still needs more players but reports of him being uber organized with an actual plan looks dead on to me.

A transition to a 3-4 I like, while he shakes out the actual players from the pretenders. Meanwhile on Offense, I love his playcalling. He ID'd Spiller & Roscoe last night as guys who should get the ball in space, plus reminded everyone that Evans is a big play threat. Soon he'll get Lynch & Jackson back and will get them the ball. All positives.

Putting on the pads immediately and not taking any crap is long overdue.

He needs another draft and I don't expect much this year after 10 years of failure... but for a cheap/unpopular hire, he's been pretty darn good getting this team turned around.

We'll see but so far...he's very easy to like. The good players are responding.

:shout:

YardRat
08-20-2010, 10:02 PM
I thought it was interesting to hear the comments by Tasker and Bentley last night regarding Gailey admitting he was pretty rusty against the Skins, calling plays from the sideline.

He did pretty well against Indy.

BidsJr
08-20-2010, 10:05 PM
All I know is this season I'll be not just hoping to win, but expecting to win (: Because of course this is a tough game for tough people (;

better days
08-20-2010, 10:39 PM
All I know is this season I'll be not just hoping to win, but expecting to win (: Because of course this is a tough game for tough people (;

Yeah I like that a whole lot better than "It's hard to win in the NFL"

Philagape
08-20-2010, 10:47 PM
The bomb TD made me like him a lot more, because it was the play design that made it happen.
My eyes popped as soon as they lined up in a full house. Can you imagine that formation with Spiller, Lynch and Jackson??
It could be the new Wildcat.

BillsWin
08-20-2010, 10:57 PM
Gailey is Changasmic, Chantastic and Chanderful.

wmoz11
08-20-2010, 11:06 PM
It's Chandemonium in this thread! I like it.

Miami_Vice
08-20-2010, 11:08 PM
Dolphin fan here. I also think Gailey is a good coach. I said this on here right after you guys hired Gailey. I think he is a solid hire. Is he Cowher, Shanahan or Gruden? Well no but I think Gailey is just what Buffalo needs right now.

And man o man, I really hope our D is ready for Spiller. That guy has the capability to take one to the house on every touch.

Slim
08-20-2010, 11:55 PM
Welcome to the zone vice. While I don't agree with everything you say, I can tell you're not a troll. What Fin board are you from?

Turf
08-20-2010, 11:59 PM
I think Chan is the first real coach we've had in 20 years.

ublinkwescore
08-21-2010, 12:37 AM
The bomb TD made me like him a lot more, because it was the play design that made it happen.
My eyes popped as soon as they lined up in a full house. Can you imagine that formation with Spiller, Lynch and Jackson??
It could be the new Wildcat.

I don't want to see us ever having to resort to running a wild cat offense... I want us to be able to execute Gailey's offense or a conventional offense because we're good enough to not have to try to run gimmick/gadget style offensive plays.

That being said, I won't complain if we use gimmicks to get us the occasional first down/touch down, if it's at a moment that would likely catch the D off guard. but not as our bread and butter.

Dujek
08-21-2010, 02:43 AM
I've liked Gailey from the start, and I liked him even more after Thursday night's game.

Even when he was asked about players who had done well, or plays that had gone well he seemed to be focussed on where they could improve, and not just standing back going "That went well, there's nothing to worry about" *golf clap*.

I'll go back to what I've been saying all along, all Chan Gailey ever seems to do is win. He mightn't be the sort of coach who could win a championship, but he's certainly the sort of guy that can take the Bills back to the playoffs, and that's definitely a step in the right direction.

BuffaloBeliever
08-21-2010, 06:32 AM
Though I'm not going to say he's already a success, as we haven't really played any meaningful game yet, but so far what I've heard and seen from Gailey has been very promising to me at least. The guy knows what he wants from his players and they seem to be learning his message much faster than the players did with Jauron and his Country Club-mentality.
The guy is a very honest coach, who expects a lot from his players; he expects them to play a very physical brand of football, where we make plays, are aggressive and try to win the game rather than avoid to lose it.
That being said, I still don't expect a very good record at all this year; it'll be a big and paramount transition to make from running a 4-3 defense to a 3-4 defense and additionally completely changing the type of offense, we'll run.
All in all, I'm actually excited for this upcoming season, even though we'll likely as not lose more games than we win, because Gailey has made all the right moves for this football team so far to become a better one.

Buddo
08-21-2010, 06:46 AM
There's definitely a lot to like about Chan.
He isn't going to miss anything either. ;)
There was a shot of him on the sidelines after a penalty against us (I think on STs), and you could see him looking fairly pissed and saying (twice) 'Who was that?'.
Players will be accountable - and not before time.
Liked his play calling. I think it's also noticeable that there's more precision involved in things. Last year, although Jackson did well in the run game, it seemed very much as though it was a case of 'run inside' or 'run outside'. It already seems like there's a lot more detail involved than that.
There were also signs that he will cater to players strengths. Brohm was good on slants, so Gailey called quite a few of them. Chicken or egg? Who knows, but it seemed as though Gailey knew what he was getting.

Liked the call for the evans TD. Might be a sign of what Spiller can do for us in respect of opening up other areas. If he hadn't got the earlier TD, chances are the Colts D might not have bitten so hard on that one. ;)

Historian
08-21-2010, 07:14 AM
And the best part: I haven't heard the woeds Russ Brandon since last year.

Finally....football men running the football department.

How does it feel to be a total abject failure, Russ?

ChristopherWalken
08-21-2010, 07:53 AM
I have to admit that I was extremely skeptical at first. I too have warmed up to his ideas and approach and not with just what he seems to be accomplishing in the game aspect, but mostly what he's fortifying in practice.

Though I'm nearly 1000 miles away from the practice field, the video that I've seen of him participating in practice, motivating the players as well as actually coaching them, is something that we haven't seen in quite some time.

Juaron's "hands-off" approach was putrid.

I have never and never will like the idea of a "players" coach. Too much wiggle room when a coach let the players do anything they want.

Gailey has been simply refreshing.

ublinkwescore
08-21-2010, 08:51 AM
Gailey's the kind of coach that can make adjustments as we've seen, but I also think he's the kind of coach who won't try to fix something if it's not broken - in other words, he's gonna find a way to attack a defense, and if he's having some success with it, he's gonna keep doing it until that D shows that they can stop it. And I like it.

ublinkwescore
08-21-2010, 08:52 AM
I think Chan is the first real coach we've had in 20 years.

Marv Levy hasn't been gone that long...

better days
08-21-2010, 09:55 AM
And the best part: I haven't heard the woeds Russ Brandon since last year.

Finally....football men running the football department.

How does it feel to be a total abject failure, Russ?

Hey, Russ is VERY good at marketing.

mrbojanglezs
08-21-2010, 09:58 AM
Marv Levy hasn't been gone that long...

marv levy was a better motivational speaker then he was coach

Jan Reimers
08-21-2010, 09:58 AM
Hey, Russ is VERY good at marketing.
He is, and I doubt very much if he lobbied for the football job. I've never seen Brandon as the villain in any of this.

Miami_Vice
08-22-2010, 08:20 PM
Welcome to the zone vice. While I don't agree with everything you say, I can tell you're not a troll. What Fin board are you from?

I post on Finheaven from time to time. I will be posting here more. Definitely enjoy the discussion between rival fans.