PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else notice about Spiller....

BidsJr
08-20-2010, 10:03 PM
- He is alot bigger than I thought. Looks like a 3 down running back.

- He looks better than Reggie Bush (who some seem to compare him too) and way more comfortable taking it up the gut.

Sure am glad that Clemson underutilized him for 4 years and kept the wear and tear off of him for us.

sven233
08-21-2010, 01:01 AM
I have been saying this all along. He is definitely big enough to be a 3-down back. Fact is that he is an inch taller and only 5 pounds lighter than Thurman was.

I think that size worked out OK for Thurman...........

Spiller can be a 3-down back eventually. But with both Lynch and Jackson still here, he won't be. He will be on the field a ton......RB and WR......

jamze132
08-21-2010, 02:46 AM
There is no need for him to be a 3-down back considering the other options we have in the backfield. With Jackson, Lynch, Spiller, and Bell, we have one of the best RB teams in the NFL. They all bring a little something different and compliment each other well.

ChristopherWalken
08-21-2010, 08:01 AM
I am not a Reggie Bush fan and can't stand the comparisons between him and Spiller.

CJ seems to have break ankle speed and moves more like Barry Sanders did back in the hay day. But more specifically, Bush seems incapable of carrying a full load. There is a reason that Bush is not an every down back. He's like a change-up pitch. After wearing down an opposing DL, throw in Reggie Bush against a worn out defense and watch him score. One trick pony.

From what I've seen from Spiller, he seems capable of carrying the load as well as providing that 2nd and 3rd gear while doing so. Time will tell more, but he seems to be better suited for the position than Bush.

ublinkwescore
08-21-2010, 08:30 AM
I have been saying this all along. He is definitely big enough to be a 3-down back. Fact is that he is an inch taller and only 5 pounds lighter than Thurman was.

I think that size worked out OK for Thurman...........

Spiller can be a 3-down back eventually. But with both Lynch and Jackson still here, he won't be. He will be on the field a ton......RB and WR......

And if he puts on 5 lbs of muscle, it won't affect his speed too much either, but it will enhance his ability to break more tackles.

ublinkwescore
08-21-2010, 08:34 AM
I think the reggie bush thing comes from astronomical college production - that's also about where it stops. CJ Spiller is the next AP (minus the fumbling problem) maybe even Chris Johnson if he is the feature back (which I don't see the need for him to be the feature back when we can put three backs in the backfield, it would add to defensive confusion if we made sure all 3 or even 4 backs touched the ball at least a couple of times every game.

better days
08-21-2010, 09:46 AM
I think when Spillers career is over that people are going to compare the top College prospects to him. As in "yeah he's good, but he's no Spiller."

ublinkwescore
08-21-2010, 09:56 AM
Spiller can do for us what LT did for the chargers became a main cog in a perrenial playoff threat.

I'd love to see that happen, and see us actually go all the way within our presented window of opportunity more than once finally vindicating four straight losses on the biggest sports stage in the world - World Cup of Soccer can lick my hairy bean bag.

Jan Reimers
08-21-2010, 10:01 AM
Spiller can do for us what LT did for the chargers became a main cog in a perrenial playoff threat.
I think Spiller can play that LT/Marshall Faulk role for us.

better days
08-21-2010, 10:05 AM

Those two are a much better comparison to Spiller than Bush.

Nighthawk
08-21-2010, 10:21 AM
He is plenty big enough to be a featured back and I've thought that from the start. I don't know if he will be used that way, but this guy is freakin' good...

Hogwasher
08-21-2010, 10:59 AM
I still see him as a scat back in the mold of dave megget, eric metcalf or glyn milburn. I suspect we will see him in a different role when the regular season starts.

cpearl
08-21-2010, 12:20 PM
But we already have running backs and needed a QB or LT! (sarcasm)

Raptor
08-21-2010, 01:15 PM

I think Faulk is a good comparison

Personally he reminds me of Tiki Barber

OpIv37
08-21-2010, 01:32 PM
Calm down people. Threads like this make me sick. I think he's going to be a good player as well, but had one good preseason game and you people are already comparing him to some of the best RB's to ever play the game.

The homerism is ridiculous.

djjimkelly
08-21-2010, 01:37 PM
Calm down people. Threads like this make me sick. I think he's going to be a good player as well, but had one good preseason game and you people are already comparing him to some of the best RB's to ever play the game.

couldnt agree more lets just have him be productive for real first then we can make comparisons once we are WINNING!

Michael82
08-21-2010, 01:39 PM

I see him as another Thurman Thomas or even OJ Simpson. :snicker:

mayotm
08-21-2010, 03:17 PM
I still see him as a scat back in the mold of dave megget, eric metcalf or glyn milburn. I suspect we will see him in a different role when the regular season starts.I think those comparisons are way off. If that is all Spiller is, then it was completely a wasted first round pick.

wmoz11
08-21-2010, 03:20 PM
More than anything else, I'm excited to see how Gailey uses him in the passing game.

He'll be effective motioning out of the backfield or just lining up in the slot. Can you imagine him running wheel routes out of the backfield with a linebacker matched up man-to-man? Yikes.

I trust Gailey to be able to find these match-ups.

Raptor
08-21-2010, 04:29 PM

Relax, nothing wrong with getting excited about a player who could turn out to be great. We may finally have hit a home run on a first round pick after years people are excited its part of being a fan

Mindbender
08-21-2010, 04:33 PM
I really like Spiller BUT he seems lost when blocking and because he's smaller he is usually outmatched anyway.

mayotm
08-21-2010, 05:26 PM
I really like Spiller BUT he seems lost when blocking and because he's smaller he is usually outmatched anyway.I'm not sure what you are seeing regarding Spiller's blocking. However, in the post game interview, Gailey commented that Spiller did a nice job in some protections.

Mindbender
08-21-2010, 05:44 PM
I'm not sure what you are seeing regarding Spiller's blocking. However, in the post game interview, Gailey commented that Spiller did a nice job in some protections.

I'm talking more about the Redskins game more than the Colts game. I agree he did do a better job in the latter.

Hogwasher
08-21-2010, 05:45 PM
The guy is never going to be much of a blocker.

Slim
08-21-2010, 06:05 PM
Jeez people calm down, HE'S A ROOKIE. It' obvious Spiller is the love child of Barry Sanders and Jim Brown and will have 1,028,209,209 career touchdowns.

BidsJr
08-21-2010, 06:31 PM
I still see him as a scat back in the mold of dave megget, eric metcalf or glyn milburn. I suspect we will see him in a different role when the regular season starts.

A comment like this is exactly why I made this thread.

He may not be Faulk, LT or Thurman but he surely isn't a tiny little 3rd down scatback.