PDA

View Full Version : NFL network agrees to deal with cable companies

CuseJetsFan83
08-21-2010, 12:36 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5480426

NCTC members will have the option to add NFL Network under the deal. NCTC represents 17 of the top 20 cable operators in the country.
<!-- begin inline 1 --><!-- INLINE LIST MODULE -->
<!-- end sidebar table --> <!-- end inline 1 -->Time Warner, which has feuded with NFL Network, is not a member.

psubills62
08-21-2010, 01:09 PM
Excellent. I hope Comcast/Xfinity is a member, maybe I can finally get NFLN.

EDIT: Never mind, looks like I'm out of luck. Found an article from June 11th saying Comcast isn't a member.

Michael82
08-21-2010, 01:35 PM
BOOO! Damn you, Time Warner! :mad:

BAM
08-21-2010, 01:45 PM
Excellent news. Bout time.

Luisito23
08-21-2010, 03:55 PM
Cablevison?

trapezeus
08-21-2010, 03:58 PM
timewarner blows for being the biggest cable company.

worst service ever.

mikemac2001
08-21-2010, 04:40 PM
Time Warner sucks I'll keep Internet but tv I'll go directv

mightysimi
08-21-2010, 09:43 PM
Move to Canada. All the free NFLN you can handle. :up:

more cowbell
08-22-2010, 12:56 AM
DirecTV > Time Warner

mayotm
08-22-2010, 07:07 AM
Does anybody know if Brighthouse down in Florida is part of the NCTC?

TheGhostofJimKelly
08-22-2010, 09:16 AM
Last year we decided it was time to dump Time Warner, we got Verizon FioS and we love it. One of the determining factors was the NFL channel.

CuseJetsFan83
08-22-2010, 08:07 PM
Does anybody know if Brighthouse down in Florida is part of the NCTC?

no that is loosely affiliated to the TIME-Warner family

DaBillzAhDaShiznit
08-23-2010, 07:31 AM
Time Warner Cable=Worst.Company.Ever.

DraftBoy
08-23-2010, 07:34 AM
Excellent. I hope Comcast/Xfinity is a member, maybe I can finally get NFLN.

EDIT: Never mind, looks like I'm out of luck. Found an article from June 11th saying Comcast isn't a member.

I have Comcast/Xfinity and I get the NFLN, I was watching the Oakland game last night.

stuckincincy
08-23-2010, 08:23 AM
BOOO! Damn you, Time Warner! :mad:

Factor in NFL greed. The NFL wants them to charge every subscriber more $, and T-W has long said they would be happy to show NFL Network as an extra-charge channel - those who want to buy it can; those that don't, don't. Sounds reasonable to me...

The NFL balks at that, because if their product can only reach a certain percentage of the potential viewership, it is reflected by lesser buckets 'o cash the NFL can extract from advertisers.

Here in Cincy, T-W has approx. 640,000 customers. Considerable numbers who don't give a rat's patoot about NFL football. Why should those folks have to pay more, just to benefit those that like NFL ball?

psubills62
08-23-2010, 08:35 AM
I have Comcast/Xfinity and I get the NFLN, I was watching the Oakland game last night.

You probably have a higher tier. We could probably get it if we really wanted it, but we'd have to pay $20 a month extra just to get NFLN (and some other channels we wouldn't watch). I don't think my wife would approve.

I was thinking more along the lines of NFLN coming to an agreement so that it's on the basic packages, similar to the Big Ten Network currently.

stuckincincy
08-23-2010, 08:50 AM
You probably have a higher tier. We could probably get it if we really wanted it, but we'd have to pay $20 a month extra just to get NFLN (and some other channels we wouldn't watch). I don't think my wife would approve.

I was thinking more along the lines of NFLN coming to an agreement so that it's on the basic packages, similar to the Big Ten Network currently.

You've identified another problem. Like the BTN, the NFL would insist that they be in a cable company's "basic" package. The hue and cry by OSU fans (ad space was bought by some organization to whine and moan f or it, encouraging folks to complain to T_W) ultimetly elbowed out other programming.

IIRC, T-W told the NFL that if they wanted to be offered, it would be an individual pay channel, not part of a sports tier. I believe them.

I have purchased a channel concerned with agricultural things. It's an interest of mine, and I didn't have to purchase a "farm tier."

DraftBoy
08-23-2010, 10:32 AM

I dont think its quite that bad, Im only paying $42.00 a month for my package. Not counting DVR's or my sports package (which includes NFLRZ but not the NFLN).

psubills62
08-23-2010, 11:00 AM
I dont think its quite that bad, Im only paying $42.00 a month for my package. Not counting DVR's or my sports package (which includes NFLRZ but not the NFLN).

That's what I'm paying for the basic tier (~70 channels). I'm pretty sure the last time I looked into upgrading, I would have had to end up paying about $40 more for what I already get, though that would have come with a phone upgrade as well. In the end, it just wasn't worth it to upgrade.

DraftBoy
08-23-2010, 11:12 AM
That's what I'm paying for the basic tier (~70 channels). I'm pretty sure the last time I looked into upgrading, I would have had to end up paying about $40 more for what I already get, though that would have come with a phone upgrade as well. In the end, it just wasn't worth it to upgrade.

Yea I have well over 70 channels, not sure exactly how many though.

mrbojanglezs
08-23-2010, 11:52 AM
time warner blows so hard, glad verizon fios came to amherset........ get way faster internet and more channels for less..

Johnny Bugmenot
08-24-2010, 05:57 AM
I have purchased a channel concerned with agricultural things. It's an interest of mine, and I didn't have to purchase a "farm tier." Well, I don't think RFD-TV (if that's the network you're thinking of) charges nearly as much in retransmission fees as NFL Network. NFLN, if I recall, has the 2nd-highest (75 cents per month), only behind ESPN's whopping $3.65.

stuckincincy
08-24-2010, 08:03 AM
Well, I don't think RFD-TV (if that's the network you're thinking of) charges nearly as much in retransmission fees as NFL Network. NFLN, if I recall, has the 2nd-highest (75 cents per month), only behind ESPN's whopping $3.65.

I seem to recall reading that in the cincy market, a figure of $2.50 for NFL Network being stated (pay channel for those who want it). I may well be wide of the mark.

I also recall about the dish company (I forget which one), dropping its' jaw over the NFL striking a deal with this or that cable company - IIRC, they ponied up a lot of $$$ to carry NFL Network - a selling point for them.

Someone complained about their service - no problems here. If it's not working, they come and fix it. I'm fortunate in being close to an outlet they maintain in a local mall. I've swapped equipment several times (mostly their Scientific Atlanta DVR boxes).

I never thought I'd be defending a cable company (!), but in this case, I think T-W is right to stick to their guns.

bluerosekiller
08-24-2010, 09:30 AM
After years & years of dealing exclusively with Adelphia & then Time Warner when they bought out Adelphia in '06, I've finally had enough of them & made the switch to Direct TV just yesterday. They're installing it tomorrow.

A combination of the prohibitive cost & the lack of service was the deciding factor for my wife & I in finally giving TW the boot.
We've had just about the full package through them with cable, internet & phone, along with HBO & Showtime ( necessities is you're a lifelong fight fanatic like myself ). All of which didn't come cheap.
But, rather than reward us for being such good, loyal customers, they refused to give us a better deal, continued to raise prices, nickle & dimed us to death, provided mediocre service & actually dropped channels that we used on a daily basis.
Namely HD Net & HD Net Movies.
The latter of which, I could live without, but NOT the former.
As an avid follower of both MMA & K1, TW dropping HD Net & refusing to even consider bringing it back was the last straw.

So, when a Direct TV rep came knocking on the door yesterday offering us a crazy good deal for the first five months, as well as one that's still going to be much better than what we had with TW at the end of the introductory period, we took it.
I don't mean to shill for them, but ALL the premium channels, HD Net, the NFL Network & the full Sunday Ticket for significantly less than what we were paying for TW? How could we refuse that?

I'm a little bit nervous about how our internet will be once we switch from Roadrunner to Verizon, but hopefully it won't be that much of a difference.
I'm in North Tonawanda so Fios isn't an option.

stuckincincy
08-24-2010, 03:43 PM
After years & years of dealing exclusively with Adelphia & then Time Warner when they bought out Adelphia in '06, I've finally had enough of them & made the switch to Direct TV just yesterday. They're installing it tomorrow.

Well, I do get a direct mailing from T-W every other month. OTH, I probably over that period, get a storm of things from Direct TV, and Dish Network. In newspaper inserts, direct mailings, those coupon packs, you name it. Always telling me how I can do better if I sign up with them.

I'm constantly under assault by their pitches, and their prodigious fine print.

I'm sorry - they come across to me as a bunch of cons. They certainly have plenty of satisfied customers, but I advise reading everything with a magnifying glass.

New Ro's Greatest
08-24-2010, 08:09 PM
Please let Cablevision be involved with that deal! And when would it go in effect? GO BILLS:jig: