PDA

View Full Version : Left Tackle Play By Play - Preseason Week 2

JCBills
08-21-2010, 02:37 PM
Bell

Play 1 - Beat to the inside by Freeney, gets help from Levitre, QB hurry.

Play 2 - Reverse to other side, doesn't block anyone but shows he can get to the second level quick.

Play 3 - Down block or chip that didn't do much, Spiller makes play.

Play 4 - Makes a decent down block on Spiller's TD, but Spiller kind of made that play by himself making 3 guys miss.

Play 5 - OK reach block on #99 on the backside, strong side dosn't execute.

Play 6 - Pushed back way too much by Freeney.

Play 7 - Barely able to get his hands on Freeney until the last second, though he's able to keep him from bending it in.

Play 8 - Seals Freeney well, Spiller tackled in backfield though.

Play 9 - Pushed back quite a bit by Freeney again, sub par block.

Play 10 - Double teams down on Freeney, who bit on counter, with Levitre.

Meredith

Play 11 - Blocked Freeney well on run play, violent with hands.

Play 12 - Blocks inside on long TD pass, Trent has all day, passes man to Levitre on what looked like a 5 man slide.

Play 13 - Blocks 99 for extended period of time, doesn't budge.

Play 14 - Gets to second level in a hurry with good pop on the LB, helps spring Spiller, had he maintained a little longer could have been a huge play.

Play 15 - Penalty

Play 16 - Blocks Freeney well, violent again, lets Spiller get around and upfield.

Play 17 - Allows pressure on Trent, Freeney had a nice rip.

Play 18 - Blocks well in pass pro against 97, showing quick feet, mirrors his man and denies him.

Play 19 - Stones 97 at the line, but someone on the line didn't get it done, loss of one.

Play 20 - Very solid pass pro, needs to keep feet moving though.

Play 21 - Helps backside on screen, not very important.

Play 22 - Forces 97 past pocket but not far enough, allows a little bit of pressure on Brohm, though the strong side allowed a sack.

Play 23 - Forces 97 past again, a little better this time, more violent with hands, needs to do more here again though.

Play 24 - Farily effective pass pro, not the best hand placement, but he's showing a good punch now and then at this point.

Play 25 - Nice block on the backside of zone cutback run, penalty on C. Howard though, only had a little bit of jersey, somewhat iffy call.

Play 26 - Cut block on the slant pass, opens passing lane.

Play 27 - Nice pass pro to flush his man upfield, throws him at end of block.

Play 28 - Again nice pass pro, could be better.

Play 29 - Decent pass pro again, could be better.

Play 30 - Gets upfield and cuts LB.

Play 31 - Throws man past pocket, Brohm's 26 yder with perfect spiral and placement.

Play 32 - Cut block, successful.

Play 33 - Did what he could to keep two defenders from getting to Brohm on the screen.

Play 34 - Nice pass pro, needs to keep feet going a little longer, but sticks his man.

End of 1st half

Play 35 - Might have made a mistake here or it was designed help, but Bell made a play to the outside.

Play 36 - Nice pass pro, pushes his man past pocket on quick throw, could have given it an extra step.

Play 37 - Gets to second level in a hurry again with a decent block on LB, with more help Bell could have had a huge play.

Play 38 - Decent pass pro, could have been a little quicker and ends up leaning

Play 39 - Penalty actually on C. Howard, kind of missed this play both times I watched game.

Play 40 - Helps Levitre then picks up blitz a little late, but still effective.

Play 41 - Delay of game

Play 42 - Very nice pass pro again, contains counter move well.

Play 43 - Pushed back a little bit, loses balance for a step then recovers.

Play 44 - Weird play, looks like a delayed cut block, ends up pushing his man out of relevance.

Play 45 - A little too high getting to second level, needs to maintain longer.

Play 46 - Playing a little too high here again at first but adjusts, kind of ended up in a hug but decent pass pro.

Play 47 - Decent run block, needs to maintain longer.

Play 48 - Decent pass block until he gets beat on second move but maintains contact.

Play 49 - BRUTALLY shucks his man on the draw, RB bounced it outside though.

Play 50 - Decent down block on run.

Play 51 - Doesn't block anyone on the reverse but gets upfield quick, almost everyone except CB and safety bit on it.

Play 52 - Decent pass pro but needs to extend his arms, has help from G.

Play 53 - Decent in pass pro again, catches his man leaning and floors him.

Play 54 - Good pass pro, keeps a hand on his man flushing him past pocket.

Play 55 - Blocks outside-in when he sees penetration, could be more violent.

Play 56 - Allows hit on Brohm on the screen play which looked like it didn't develop properly.

I watched the 1st half 3 times, second half twice.

BillsWin
08-21-2010, 02:49 PM
Your final assessment?

JCBills
08-21-2010, 03:57 PM
Your final assessment?

I was going to wait to see what others took away from it. Bell struggled too much on too few plays, but then again it's his first live action in a very, very long time. He was facing a good DE in Freeney, but got tossed around too much by a guy who's known more for his finesse than power. His base was too narrow at times as well. Bell's best wasn't as good as Meredith's best. Meredith had a solid showing. He has an obvious strength advantage over Bell, sorry for the cliche but he's flashed the ability to dominate his man. Of course he has bad and sub par plays at times, but it seems like he just needs more reps against good competition, so far he's handled Orakpo and Freeney fairly well. He has the tools to recover when he gets beat. Long arms, good overall strength and good athleticism. They'll both get better over time, but right now it looks like Meredith is better than Bell, though the circumstances for judgment still aren't fair.

Good to note on Freeney:

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Dwight-Freeney-eager-to-school-rookie-tackles.html

Indianapolis Colts star defensive end Dwight Freeney can't wait to send rookie offensive tackles' heads spinning like a top when he unleases his formidable trademark spin move (http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-farmer-nfl-20100704,0,6114387,full.column).

"I'm licking my chops," Freeney told the Los Angeles Times. "When you have a rookie offensive tackle, I can't wait. Because for an offensive tackle, you're not good until you're in like your eighth year.

"You've got to get beat up for a while to learn what to do and what not to. It's when you're about in your fifth through 10th years as an offensive tackle that you're in your prime. All these rookies coming out? They don't know anything. I can't wait."

He knew he was facing young guys. Looked like he just went with the bull rush the majority of the time with Bell. Bell only had to pass block 4 times in 10 plays. Plays 1, 6, 7, and 9, and didn't do well each time. Meredith only had to pass block Freeney once, when Freeney finally opened his bag of tricks. Gave up some pressure but didn't get completely beat. Meredith also did very well against Orakpo, so I give the edge to Meredith.

TigerJ
08-21-2010, 04:21 PM
As you say, Bell's first real action since 2009 isn't going to show much. The good we can take away from this is that if Bell can't do the job, it looks like Meredith has the tools to grow into it, and maybe do enough not to get his QB killed while he learns to deal with crafty DEs like Freeney. Bell is a complete question mark at this point. He wasn't good enough last season, and didn't get enough experience to improve much. Like Meredith, he will also be on a learning curve this season. We don't know if he'll ever be good enough, though he does have some athleticism, as does Meredith.

HHURRICANE
08-21-2010, 05:26 PM
Good. Move Meredith or Bell to RT and get rid of Cornell Green if these guys are that good.

HHURRICANE
08-21-2010, 05:27 PM
By the way when did Levitre make the Pro Bowl because his play so far has been less than stellar and grossly ignored on this board.

Night Train
08-21-2010, 05:30 PM
Great job, JC.

I thought Meredith played well and the OL as a whole wasn't bad.

Ingtar33
08-21-2010, 05:44 PM
By the way when did Levitre make the Pro Bowl because his play so far has been less than stellar and grossly ignored on this board.

I don't know, but i'm with you on this. Levitre has been horrible this preseason.

Johnny Bugmenot
08-21-2010, 08:52 PM
I've always thought Levitre has been grossly overrated. Despite the statements made otherwise, I've seen him as a liabilty on the line every time he's been out there, this year and last.

This game pretty much confirmed my thoughts on Demetrius Bell, though amazingly not a single penalty against him.

Don't Panic
08-21-2010, 09:39 PM
Nice work, JC.

JCBills
08-22-2010, 07:42 AM
Good. Move Meredith or Bell to RT and get rid of Cornell Green if these guys are that good.

I'd rather see them try to bring Bell along as a swing tackle, he really needs to improve his strength. Draft an RT next off season if Meredith works out. Hopefully by then Wood is transitioning to C and we can look for a second day G.

If Meredith works out, it should go down as one of the best moves the front office has made this decade.

Jan Reimers
08-22-2010, 08:30 AM
Great analysis, JC. It really helps me in an area that is hard to judge.