PDA

View Full Version : Directv to Sell Sunday Ticket to Non-Subscribers

Bosco
08-23-2010, 10:43 AM
DIRECTV next month plans to sell an online version of the NFL Sunday Ticket to non-subscribers for the first time in its history.

Customers must prove they are not able to access DIRECTV from their residence.

To get DIRECTV, a customer must be able to install a dish with a clear view of the southern skies.

http://www.tvpredictions.com/dnfl082310.htm

DraftBoy
08-23-2010, 10:53 AM
Interesting idea, I have no interest in taking part of it...kinda ****ty that you must be unable to get DirecTV in the first place.

PromoTheRobot
08-23-2010, 10:57 AM
Why bother making people prove they can't get DTV? If they want it online, sell it to them.

PTR

psubills62
08-23-2010, 10:58 AM
Interesting idea, I have no interest in taking part of it...kinda ****ty that you must be unable to get DirecTV in the first place.

:wave:

That's me, and one of the reasons I have Comcast. We were originally going to get DirecTV, but our apartment faces east and slightly north. And a month before we were going to have it installed, our apartment complex made a rule that any dishes have to be freestanding on our balcony.

This is something I would normally look into, but I'm planning on donating to XS_Sports' website and watch the games on there. I can pretty much guarantee it's less expensive.

ChristopherWalken
08-23-2010, 11:01 AM
Kind of gay. Either sell it online or don't.

For those that already bought it on DirecTV, give it to them for free. Sell service to anyone else interested.

DraftBoy
08-23-2010, 11:10 AM
:wave:

That's me, and one of the reasons I have Comcast. We were originally going to get DirecTV, but our apartment faces east and slightly north. And a month before we were going to have it installed, our apartment complex made a rule that any dishes have to be freestanding on our balcony.

This is something I would normally look into, but I'm planning on donating to XS_Sports' website and watch the games on there. I can pretty much guarantee it's less expensive.

Oh its me as well but having been a former DirecTV customer I do not wish to deal with them anymore. I lost my service constantly during storms and received nowhere near the customer service others have. I have no doubt there are some good deals to be had but Ill stick with cable from now on.

BAM
08-23-2010, 11:12 AM
Wow... and for only $350

trapezeus
08-23-2010, 11:41 AM
i did it last year as they tested it in NYC. It was nice to not have to go to a bar to watch it. and at the cost per game, it was cheaper than getting food and drink at a loud bar with a bad angle on the TV.

the mobile app to watch on your iphone is a total dud and a total waste of time.

The fact that it's a nonHD feed is kind of ridiculous. I'm not sure if they've since changed that for this year.

DraftBoy
08-23-2010, 11:44 AM
i did it last year as they tested it in NYC. It was nice to not have to go to a bar to watch it. and at the cost per game, it was cheaper than getting food and drink at a loud bar with a bad angle on the TV.

You see I go to a Bills bar for the games so I always get a good view of the game and get to sit with my fellow fans so I love my bar and would never go for something like this. But Ive also been to the ****ty sports bar where they have every game on and nobody can see anything.

trapezeus
08-23-2010, 01:32 PM
yeah, i used to do that, but with the current state of the bills, going down to that bar is a pain. if i can just plop down in front of my own computer and watch it in silence, i'd rather do that. it's just the convenience factor for me and in the end, it is cheaper. although this year, i plan on attending a bunch of the games again, so it probably won't be cheaper than going to a bar. but i do like my conveniences.

better days
08-23-2010, 02:04 PM
Oh its me as well but having been a former DirecTV customer I do not wish to deal with them anymore. I lost my service constantly during storms and received nowhere near the customer service others have. I have no doubt there are some good deals to be had but Ill stick with cable from now on.

I'm sorry to hear about your experience with Direct TV. As a long time customer of theirs, I can say poor service is unusual for them.

As for losing signal in a storm, you must have had a bad install. I live in S.W. Fla & very rarely lose signal in even the worst storms. I lost it much more often with Comcast Cable & for longer durations.

THRILLHO
08-23-2010, 03:20 PM
Why bother making people prove they can't get DTV? If they want it online, sell it to them.

PTR
I am sure the reason plenty of people have Direct TV is specifically for the Sunday Ticket. All those people would ditch DTV for a cheaper carrier (Dish) and just buy it online.

RockStar36
08-23-2010, 03:22 PM
Add this to the scam that is Sunday Ticket.

Why should I have to prove it? Sure I can get it. I would also be sacrificing my local channels altogether, let alone in HD which Time Warner and Dish both provide to my area.

I hate DTV.

SquishDaFish
08-23-2010, 03:25 PM

Sorry to hear that DB. Im also a LONG time Direct TV customer since days of Primestar and I must say their customer service is outstanding and I agree with other poster your dish wasnt aligned right, that did happen to me after my move and I called and they had someone out the next day to align it right and been fine since then.

SquishDaFish
08-23-2010, 03:26 PM
Add this to the scam that is Sunday Ticket.

Why should I have to prove it? Sure I can get it. I would also be sacrificing my local channels altogether, let alone in HD which Time Warner and Dish both provide to my area.

I hate DTV.

Direct TV has locals now. And Direct TV has the most HD. How come you cant get it all from Direct tv?

RockStar36
08-23-2010, 03:26 PM
Direct TV has locals now. And Direct TV has the most HD. How come you cant get it all from Direct tv?

They might have locals where you're at, but no, they do not offer locals in my area. Never have, still don't.

They are garbage in this area.

SquishDaFish
08-23-2010, 03:29 PM
They might have locals where you're at, but no, they do not offer locals in my area. Never have, still don't.

They are garbage in this area.

That sucks They do offer an attachment to go on the dish to get your locals OTA

SabreEleven
08-23-2010, 04:27 PM
XS Sports...here I come....on the 1st.

better days
08-23-2010, 06:25 PM
That sucks They do offer an attachment to go on the dish to get your locals OTA

Plus he would most probably qualify to get the Networks out of N.Y. over the Sat.

SquishDaFish
08-23-2010, 06:51 PM
Plus he would most probably qualify to get the Networks out of N.Y. over the Sat.

True but thats not really locals like he wouldnt get his local weather he would get East coast(NY) and/or West coast (LA)

Johnny Bugmenot
08-23-2010, 07:16 PM

PTR
The major networks (CBS and Fox), who pay hundreds of millions of dollars per year for the TV rights and millions more on production, have insisted that the product not be widely available because it hurts their revenues.

better days
08-23-2010, 07:49 PM
True but thats not really locals like he wouldnt get his local weather he would get East coast(NY) and/or West coast (LA)

Agreed, but as you said he could get locals OTA or pay cable for locals only. I'm pretty sure there is a law that cable has to provide locals at a minimal cost.

Raptor
08-23-2010, 07:57 PM

PTR

I agree its not like its cheeper

Billz_fan
08-23-2010, 08:46 PM

Wow, I have had DTV and Sunday ticket since 2005 or so in 2 different houses and have had next to no problems with outages. One of my homes was in FL where it downpours daily during the summer. When it did go out from rain it was only out for a couple minutes. In fact during hurricane Francis we never last signal and cable was out for a couple days. Now we have it here in Mass and no issues what so ever. I believe it has alot to do with certain locations perhaps.

I love DTV, we had Comcast cable briefly and I think DTV's HD is much better also. We do use Comcast for cable internet though as Sat. internet blows :laughter:

DraftBoy
08-23-2010, 10:36 PM
Wow, I have had DTV and Sunday ticket since 2005 or so in 2 different houses and have had next to no problems with outages. One of my homes was in FL where it downpours daily during the summer. When it did go out from rain it was only out for a couple minutes. In fact during hurricane Francis we never last signal and cable was out for a couple days. Now we have it here in Mass and no issues what so ever. I believe it has alot to do with certain locations perhaps.

I love DTV, we had Comcast cable briefly and I think DTV's HD is much better also. We do use Comcast for cable internet though as Sat. internet blows :laughter:

I understand my case to be rare and I dont deny Im likely the exception and not the rule. I had the dish reinstalled twice because I figured the hook up was bad and it didnt help it and customer service was rude the times I did call. When I called and told them I was moving to a new location and looking to make a switch I never even got the retention department, I got told they would have to send a tech out to ensure I couldnt get a signal, which I can't, but not even to get any kind of an offer was off putting. I dont have an HDTV so the HD doesnt even factor in for me. Im perfectly happy with SD for the time being.