PDA

View Full Version : Wood Taking First Team Center Reps

Mahdi
08-23-2010, 03:03 PM
This is very interesting. Obviously it's only because Hangartner has a day off but I think Gailey really likes Wood's abilities and he probably is toying with the idea of swapping Wood to C and moving Hangartner to G.

Don't get me wrong, I actually am one of the few who really likes Hang at C but with Wood being as strong as he is and Hangartner being a such a mobile player he would fit nicely at G where he played in Carolina.

I kinda want our own Nick Mangold.

http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2010/08/23/wood-taking-center-reps/

OpIv37
08-23-2010, 03:06 PM
I don't like Hang at C at all so I wouldn't mind the move. I just hope he makes a decision and sticks with it- these guys need all the practice they can get at the correct positions.

Canadian'eh!
08-23-2010, 03:13 PM
Jets, Fins and Pats all run a 3-4. Hang is just not physical and strong enough to get push on a 3-4 NT. He also has a hard time keeping the pocket from collapsing without double team help.

Hang is a useful player but is a borderline starter/depth player IMO.

I always thought Levitre-Wood-Butler would have been a better middle, with Hang backing up all 3. Mind you I would have taken Oher......

FlyingDutchman
08-23-2010, 04:03 PM
Thank god

Buffalogic
08-23-2010, 04:10 PM
I wonder how Kyle Calloway has been. During the draft they were talking about how he would be better at guard than tackle.

I wonder if he could play guard if Wood starts at center. Calloway is bigger and younger than Hangartner, but can he play?

bigbub2352
08-23-2010, 04:26 PM
i completely agree with this thread i wanted wood to place center hear right off the bat...hang is a career back up and should be our backup all day to back up all three line positions

but with our depth i understand this is wishful thinking

Mahdi
08-23-2010, 04:26 PM
I have a feeling Cordaro Howard is favored by Gailey.

CAbills
08-23-2010, 05:16 PM
Isn't this just a veterans rest day. It says more about our lack of depth at center then anything else really.

BillsWin
08-23-2010, 05:19 PM
Ive been wanting this since he was drafted. I believe 100% that he could be a dominant center. Which is what we could use in our division. Hope he plays at center.

Nighthawk
08-23-2010, 05:41 PM
Wood at center makes too much sense. He is the leader of that OL and the center position is usually the position where leadership comes from. I think it is a perfect fit and Wood is/will be a great center.

bigbub2352
08-23-2010, 06:35 PM
dont count out sean allen making this team as backup center either

Night Train
08-23-2010, 06:38 PM
He was the Center for Brohm at Louisville.

This must mean Brohm is soon to be named the starter at QB. I knew it !

:assclown:

SABURZFAN
08-23-2010, 07:53 PM
i'm just happy that he's back and practicing after that horrific leg injury. taking reps with the first team is a bonus. :up:

TacklingDummy
08-23-2010, 08:07 PM
I kinda want our own Nick Mangold.

We passed on Mangold twice but we did get that Superstar Twitter Whitner and wouldn't be a Bill if he could pass a physical McCargo.

YardRat
08-23-2010, 09:37 PM
He was the Center for Brohm at Louisville.

This must mean Brohm is soon to be named the starter at QB. I knew it !

:assclown:

I can't believe it took 12 posts to get to this.

psubills62
08-23-2010, 10:51 PM
All this says to me is that the coaches probably aren't happy with who they have backing up Hangartner, and want Wood to get practice there.

better days
08-24-2010, 12:20 AM
All this says to me is that the coaches probably aren't happy with who they have backing up Hangartner, and want Wood to get practice there.

It says to me that Wood will be the long time Center of the Bills sooner or later & it looks like it could be sooner.

John Doe
08-24-2010, 05:10 AM
It is now common practice for teams to carry 9 offensive linemen on the 53 man roster and only 7 or 8 on the game day roster. The ability to play mulitple positions is essential. Wood was the backup center last year and and will be this year due to this numbers game.

don137
08-24-2010, 06:05 AM
I saw Hangartner play many times in Carolina and when he signed with Buffalo I said he did a much better job playing guard at Carolina than center. I think switching the two would be a great idea however I feel this move was just to give Wood reps at center as the backup.

methos4ever
08-24-2010, 06:28 AM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/ross_tucker/04/02/oline.rankings/

I read this article a couple of years ago and to me it makes sense why we would want Wood, even against 3-4s in the right guard position.

Though every team wants to have a highly-regarded player at every position, the economics of the game do not allow that to be the case. That is why the money invested in the offensive line should be given first to the tackles and then to the right guard, since those are the positions that could potentially make the greatest difference between a win and a loss.

Mahdi
08-24-2010, 07:05 AM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/ross_tucker/04/02/oline.rankings/

I read this article a couple of years ago and to me it makes sense why we would want Wood, even against 3-4s in the right guard position.
I'm not sure that this article applies to the 3-4 as much as it applies to the 4-3. When you face a lot of 3-4 defenses your C is almost always engaged with the NT. I would rather have whoever my best C is taking on Wilfork and Jenkins.

That being said, I think the job Hangartner has done since signing for the Bills is underrated. He actually seems to do well against the better NTs in the league. I remember him dominating Wilfork in the season opener last year and he was pretty consistent all year giving Fred and Marshawn running lanes. He is also very very good at blocking on the move and getting into space on tosses and screens.

IMO Hangartner has done nothing to lose his job at C. And at this point he is probably more mobile than Wood is.

BuffaloBlitz83
08-24-2010, 07:59 AM
No way, Wood is younger, faster, stronger. And a better Offensive Lineman.

Jan Reimers
08-24-2010, 08:08 AM
Regardless of how much some posters want Wood to move to center, this was a one day move to give Hangartner a day off. It is unbelievable how some posters read so much into such an insignificant situation.

OpIv37
08-24-2010, 08:12 AM
Regardless of how much some posters want Wood to move to center, this was a one day move to give Hangartner a day off. It is unbelievable how some posters read so much into such an insignificant situation.

It is unbelievable how some posters, and some people on the Bills team, consider Hangartner a sufficient starting center, especially given this team's dismal performance against 3-4 teams. Some posters actually want to see this fixed and are looking for signs that it may happen.

Mahdi
08-24-2010, 08:15 AM
It is unbelievable how some posters, and some people on the Bills team, consider Hangartner a sufficient starting center, especially given this team's dismal performance against 3-4 teams. Some posters actually want to see this fixed and are looking for signs that it may happen.
Our performances against 3-4 teams have zero to do with our C and everything to do with the guy behind C.

methos4ever
08-24-2010, 08:17 AM
I'm not sure that this article applies to the 3-4 as much as it applies to the 4-3. When you face a lot of 3-4 defenses your C is almost always engaged with the NT. I would rather have whoever my best C is taking on Wilfork and Jenkins.

That being said, I think the job Hangartner has done since signing for the Bills is underrated. He actually seems to do well against the better NTs in the league. I remember him dominating Wilfork in the season opener last year and he was pretty consistent all year giving Fred and Marshawn running lanes. He is also very very good at blocking on the move and getting into space on tosses and screens.

IMO Hangartner has done nothing to lose his job at C. And at this point he is probably more mobile than Wood is.

I agree with you Mahdi with regard to Hang's underrated nature. However, I think even in a 3-4, unless there's a double a gap on or some sort of stunt, Hang can receive guard help. Especially on non-run downs, where that Nose is either going to be slanting or attempting a stunt.

But like I said in my orig post, that article to me was interesting since it came from line coaches and a few former players. :cheers:

OpIv37
08-24-2010, 08:22 AM
Our performances against 3-4 teams have zero to do with our C and everything to do with the guy behind C.

Disagree- it's a little hard for the guy behind center to do his job when there's a 325 lb NT bearing down on him cuz the C can't block for ****.

Yes, our QB's have sucked, but our OL hasn't done them any favors or made their job any easier. Put Peyton or Brady behind our OL and they won't be as bad as Trent or Fitz, but they will look pretty average.

psubills62
08-24-2010, 08:23 AM
It says to me that Wood will be the long time Center of the Bills sooner or later & it looks like it could be sooner.

Maybe he will, but I don't think that's what this is saying. It's one day, very late in training camp.

HHURRICANE
08-24-2010, 08:26 AM
I'm not sure I understand the hate for Hangartner. He was probably our best lineman last year.

Wood at Center is great until he's not there at Guard helping the Tackle.

OpIv37
08-24-2010, 08:27 AM
I'm not sure I understand the hate for Hangartner. He was probably our best lineman last year.

Wood at Center is great until he's not there at Guard helping the Tackle.

He gets eaten alive by 3-4 NT's and gets no forward push in the run game. Was he our worst lineman last year? No, but that's not saying much.

Jan Reimers
08-24-2010, 08:28 AM
It is unbelievable that certain posters on here know so much more than the coaching staff.

You friggin' know-it-alls ought to give up your computers and your message boards, and go into coaching.

BuffaloBlitz83
08-24-2010, 08:31 AM
How the hell isn't it the responsibility of the C in a 3-4 to stop the big guy from killing the QB? Please don't tell me he hung onto ball to long. Did you watch some of those games vs 3-4 teams. The OL was brutal. LT and C were are hugest weaknesses on that OL too

OpIv37
08-24-2010, 08:32 AM
It is unbelievable that certain posters on here know so much more than the coaching staff.

You friggin' know-it-alls ought to give up your computers and your message boards, and go into coaching.

It is unbelievable that certain people have so much faith in the coaching staff despite the horrendous performance of this team over the past 10 years.

You don't have to believe that certain posters know anything. All you have to do is look at the results on the field.

Yeah, I know, "new coaching staff." But guess what? The old coaching staff used Hang at center and it didn't work, and now the new coaching staff is doing the SAME thing. I'm sure you can do the math from there. I know, it's easier to attack a poster's attitude as a "know-it-all" than to deal with the fact that the current coaching staff is replicating the same things that didn't work under the previous coaching staff. But reality is what it is.

Mahdi
08-24-2010, 08:33 AM
Disagree- it's a little hard for the guy behind center to do his job when there's a 325 lb NT bearing down on him cuz the C can't block for ****.

Yes, our QB's have sucked, but our OL hasn't done them any favors or made their job any easier. Put Peyton or Brady behind our OL and they won't be as bad as Trent or Fitz, but they will look pretty average.
I agree that a QB can't do his job if the is pressure up the middle. But that has NOT been the case. The interior of our OL was solid last year in both pass protection and run blocking.

It was mentioned during the Colts game that the Bills led the league in runs of 4 yards or more. That is a telling stat because a lot of that running came inside.

When our QBs are pressured it is usually from the outside not the inside. Hangartner only allowed 2.5 sacks last year. Jason Brown who everyone was hoping we were going to sign instead of Hang allowed 4.5 sacks, Pro Bowler Jamaal Jackson allowed 4, Pro Bowler Andre Gurode allowed 2.

Hangartner was an above average C last year. He will never make a PB but he is solid and consistent.

BuffaloBlitz83
Our coaching staff sucks. That's why they got fired. We haven't been good in over a decade. You can debate, criticize, comment without being a coach or player.

Philagape

Many posters here could have done better than Dick Jauron.
Whether the current staff can eclipse that threshold remains to be seen, although early signs are positive.

Oh, and Wood in the middle is just natural.

BuffaloBlitz83
08-24-2010, 08:34 AM
I agree that a QB can't due his job if the is pressure up the middle. But that has NOT been the case. The interior of our OL was solid last year in both pass protection and run blocking.

It was mentioned during the Colts game that the Bills led the league in runs of 4 yards or more. That is a telling stat because a lot of that running came inside.

When our QBs are pressured it is usually from the outside not the inside. Hangartner only allowed 2.5 sacks last year. Jason Brown who everyone was hoping we were going to sign instead of Hang allowed 4.5 sacks, Pro Bowler Jamaal Jackson allowed 4, Pro Bowler Andre Gurode allowed 2.

Hangartner was an above average C last year. He will never make a PB but he is solid and consistent.

Our Center sucked, our Guards were Average to Above Average. Our Tackles sucked.

OpIv37
08-24-2010, 08:38 AM
I agree that a QB can't do his job if the is pressure up the middle. But that has NOT been the case. The interior of our OL was solid last year in both pass protection and run blocking.

First, I don't buy stats on who allowed how many sacks because it assumes knowledge of blocking schemes, which the person compiling the stats has no way of knowing.

Second, NT's don't typically get sacks- they create pressure and collapse the pocket, which allows the more athletic guys to get to the QB. So, even if the 2.5 sacks allowed is accurate, it doesn't account for all the times that the NT got pressure on our QB's.

I'm not making excuses for our QB's- clearly they were at fault too. I'm just saying the OL wasn't very good either.

And yes, the YPC stat shows that the OL was decent at run blocking. However, run blocking and pass blocking are two different things.

I don't think Hangartner is useless like, say, Fowler or Preston, and I think he's far from the biggest problem this team has, but I also think he could and should be upgraded.

Mahdi
08-24-2010, 08:52 AM
First, I don't buy stats on who allowed how many sacks because it assumes knowledge of blocking schemes, which the person compiling the stats has no way of knowing.

Second, NT's don't typically get sacks- they create pressure and collapse the pocket, which allows the more athletic guys to get to the QB. So, even if the 2.5 sacks allowed is accurate, it doesn't account for all the times that the NT got pressure on our QB's.

I'm not making excuses for our QB's- clearly they were at fault too. I'm just saying the OL wasn't very good either.

And yes, the YPC stat shows that the OL was decent at run blocking. However, run blocking and pass blocking are two different things.

I don't think Hangartner is useless like, say, Fowler or Preston, and I think he's far from the biggest problem this team has, but I also think he could and should be upgraded.
Like Gailey says, any position that doesn't have a PBer is in need of upgrade. As for having a solid starter, Hangartner is that. And with Wood back healthy and Levitre playing as good as he has been in preseason the interior of the line is set.

If Wood eventually goes to C he could be an upgrade but at this point Hangartner is more of a proven C than Wood.

Jan Reimers
08-24-2010, 09:48 AM
Have any of you Maddenesque, junior genius coaches who just KNOW that Wood belongs at center even CONSIDERED that the coaching staff has valid reasons for putting Hangartner at center and Wood at guard.

Don't you think they KNOW that Wood played center at Loisville, and Hangartner played both center and guard for Carolina, yet they still CHOOSE to use tham in a way that you don't agree with?

Jesus, the arrogance on here is amazing.

BuffaloBlitz83
08-24-2010, 10:20 AM
Have any of you Maddenesque, junior genius coaches who just KNOW that Wood belongs at center even CONSIDERED that the coaching staff has valid reasons for putting Hangartner at center and Wood at guard.

Don't you think they KNOW that Wood played center at Loisville, and Hangartner played both center and guard for Carolina, yet they still CHOOSE to use tham in a way that you don't agree with?

Ever thought the Bills coaching staff and ownership is Incompetent?

Philagape
08-24-2010, 10:28 AM

Forgive us. We here in Buffalo should know that coaches are always right.

Jan Reimers
08-24-2010, 10:28 AM
I don't think the coaching staff makes decisions that make us worse, and I don't think that a bunch of fans posting on a message board know more than our coaches.

I think our staff knows 1000 times more than we do about Hangartner/Woods, and I think if they could snap their fingers and make things instantly better - as some of you think - they would do it. But this AIN'T Madden.

Jan Reimers
08-24-2010, 10:31 AM
Forgive us. We here in Buffalo should know that coaches are always right.
When you are a member of the coaching staff, I'll pay some attention to you're continually arrogant, condescending, and sarcastic comments. Until then, I'll treat them as the joke that they are.

BuffaloBlitz83
08-24-2010, 10:32 AM
I don't think the coaching staff makes decisions that make us worse, and I don't think that a bunch of fans posting on a message board know more than our coaches.

I think our staff knows 1000 times more than we do about Hangartner/Woods, and I think if they could snap their fingers and make things instantly better - as some of you think - they would do it. But this AIN'T Madden.

You're like the girl on jenny jones back in the day, everyones knows you been cheated on and you still don't see it. The coaching staff has been ******ed for 10 years. Look at the last 2-3 head coach hires

BuffaloBlitz83
08-24-2010, 10:35 AM
Maybin over Orakpo is just one example. I'm sure many on this board were pissed bout that move at time too. And look at results already.

BuffaloBlitz83
08-24-2010, 10:36 AM
Spiller has been the only 1st rd selection i liked in last 5 yrs

Jan Reimers
08-24-2010, 10:36 AM
You're like the girl on jenny jones back in the day, everyones knows you been cheated on and you still don't see it. The coaching staff has been ******ed for 10 years. Look at the last 2-3 head coach hires
I'm talking about the current staff, not the previous head coaches or the last 10 years like you *****ers always do. You should really try to judge this team in its current state, rather than dredging up yesterday's crap.

justasportsfan
08-24-2010, 10:37 AM

Sure, our OL wasn't great vs. the 3-4 , but how can they when they didn't practice vs. the 3-4. Hang wasn't dominant , he wasn't the weakest link vs. the 3-4. Our coaches were.

Should be interesting to see them this year as they practice vs. the 3-4.

Jan Reimers
08-24-2010, 10:39 AM
Spiller has been the only 1st rd selection i liked in last 5 yrs
That may have something to do with our having a new GM and a new head coach. Are you aware of that?

Philagape
When you are a member of the coaching staff, I'll pay some attention to you're continually arrogant, condescending, and sarcastic comments. Until then, I'll treat them as the joke that they are.

Can coaches be wrong, yes or no?

Did you talk like this during the Jauron era? Mularkey? Gregg Williams?

Why do you speak of coaches like they're infallible? Especially here??? Most of the coaches and FO personnel to come through here for the past decade have proven to be the jokes. There have been many times when message board posters were right, and they were wrong.

Sorry, but they have to earn the benefit of the doubt.

And if you're so worked up over opinionated posters, well maybe this isn't the best place for you.

justasportsfan

I think our staff knows 1000 times more than we do about Hangartner/Woods

Normally I would agree with you Jan until Dick Jauron became our coach.

As far as our current coach, I agree although I would have to wait for the results.

BuffaloBlitz83
08-24-2010, 10:41 AM
That may have something to do with our having a new GM and a new head coach. Are you aware of that?

Prove it then you get that respect from the fans. Until then the incompetent label sticks. Regardless if it is deserved or not. Guilty by association. Win and prove something. Stop making excuses and covering there asses. They deserve nothing but grief.

OpIv37
08-24-2010, 10:47 AM
I'm talking about the current staff, not the previous head coaches or the last 10 years like you *****ers always do. You should really try to judge this team in its current state, rather than dredging up yesterday's crap.

the current staff is doing the SAME THING that didn't work under the previous staff, at least as far as Hangartner and Wood are concerned. Yesterday's crap is today's crap as well. Doing the same thing and expecting different results is the definition of insanity.

BuffaloBlitz83
08-24-2010, 10:49 AM
New coaching staff has done a great job at solving that big LT problem we've had since Peters left.

justasportsfan
08-24-2010, 11:53 AM
the current staff is doing the SAME THING that didn't work under the previous staff, at least as far as Hangartner and Wood are concerned. Yesterday's crap is today's crap as well. Doing the same thing and expecting different results is the definition of insanity.
they are still practicing against the 4-3?

I can understand why they didn't make the switch right now, Wood was injured and Hang took most of the reps at center. Maybe in the future they could either upgrade the center or make the switch but to do so right now is suicide. Besides, maybe now that they are tryng Wood at center will change things in the future. BUt right now, Hang is the better center because he got most of the reps.

Maybe we can yield a different result at center vs. the 3-4 now that the O is more familiar with it.

Pinkerton Security
08-24-2010, 12:09 PM
Prove it then you get that respect from the fans. Until then the incompetent label sticks. Regardless if it is deserved or not. Guilty by association. Win and prove something. Stop making excuses and covering there asses. They deserve nothing but grief.

I think the point he was trying to make is this: please someone, PLEASE, say you know more about football than any person on our coaching staff because that would be quite amusing...there are maybe 2 or 3 people on this board that I know of who are actual coaches, and I'd be willing to bet that they themselves can at least admit that NFL coaches, for the most part, are there for a reason...they know more than us.

better days
08-24-2010, 12:23 PM

Why should this regime deserve grief because the LAST regime sucked?

better days
08-24-2010, 12:24 PM
New coaching staff has done a great job at solving that big LT problem we've had since Peters left.

What would you have them do? Waste a VALUABLE draft pick on an average to mediocre LT?

BuffaloBlitz83
08-24-2010, 01:06 PM
What would you have them do? Waste a VALUABLE draft pick on an average to mediocre LT?

I would have drafted a LT in round 2, guys which far more upside than Wang. I'm sure Troup or another NT in Rd 3 would have been fine. And than again in Rd 3 it was passed.

better days
08-24-2010, 04:43 PM
I would have drafted a LT in round 2, guys which far more upside than Wang. I'm sure Troup or another NT in Rd 3 would have been fine. And than again in Rd 3 it was passed.

OK who would you have drafted in the 2nd rnd that would have been a better LT than Troup will be a NT? In spite of what many people think, NT was more a more important get than a LT in rnd 2.