PDA

View Full Version : Gailey likes the Wildcat

Mike13
08-24-2010, 10:46 AM
http://espn.go.com/blog/afceast/post/_/id/16837/gailey-wildcat-must-feature-passing-threat

New head coach Chan Gailey has a quarterback known as Captain Checkdown, a stable of running backs and nothing to lose. He also isn't afraid to get creative. After all, he helped create the "Slash" role for Kordell Stewart with the Pittsburgh Steelers (http://espn.go.com/nfl/team/_/name/pit/pittsburgh-steelers).

Gailey was asked Monday whether the Wildcat was possible in Buffalo.

"Oh, yeah," Gailey replied. "We consider everything. We're not so polished in one area that we can stay in that and beat people. We're going to have to consider everything."

In explaining his Wildcat philosophies, however, Gailey raised an important point that would apply not only to the Bills, but also any team interested in running the specialty offense, which features speed motion and a direct shotgun snap to a running back.

"Wildcat is an interesting proposition," Gailey said. "I don't know how long that thing will last if you don't throw out of it. You have to be able to throw out of that formation to make it last because pretty soon they're going to put everybody up there on defense

I could see you guys using Spiller as the triggerman, and I do remember The Bills trying(and failing epically) to run it against the Dolphins a few years ago.

BuffaloBlitz83
08-24-2010, 10:52 AM
I think every team tried and failed at the Wild cat besides Miami

trapezeus
08-24-2010, 10:57 AM
i would hope that the wildcat is in the repetoire, but i would hope more that they have a new play design that is the talk of the town that has people scrambling to copy us vs. us copying others.

i like that he acknowledges that the team isn't good enough to just do one thing and do it well. he knows he has to get creative. that's a huge step from Dick "i'm going to keep smashing this square peg into this here round hole while the commentators tell you i graduated from Yale" Jauron.

Jan Reimers
08-24-2010, 11:02 AM
I don't really want to see it. I'm not big on gimmicks.

OpIv37
08-24-2010, 11:05 AM
http://espn.go.com/blog/afceast/post/_/id/16837/gailey-wildcat-must-feature-passing-threat

I could see you guys using Spiller as the triggerman, and I do remember The Bills trying(and failing epically) to run it against the Dolphins a few years ago.

if I remember correctly, we only had one or two wildcat plays and we had already used them against other teams, so the Dolphins most likely had them scouted. Jauron and his staff were pathetic at disguising plays/play calls.

OpIv37
08-24-2010, 11:06 AM

I agree that it's gimmicky and I typically don't like it either. But there is one reason why I want them to try: we have 3 good RB's and 0 good QB's. If we can find some plays that get an extra RB on the field and the QB off of it, it may not be a bad thing.

BuffaloBlitz83
08-24-2010, 11:12 AM
Put Rosco and Spiller together on some plays.

Jan Reimers
08-24-2010, 11:15 AM
I agree that it's gimmicky and I typically don't like it either. But there is one reason why I want them to try: we have 3 good RB's and 0 good QB's. If we can find some plays that get an extra RB on the field and the QB off of it, it may not be a bad thing.
The other team pretty much knows what you're gonna do when there's no QB in the backfield. I'd rather see Edwards with Lynch and Jackson, with Spiller in the slot.

Beautiful East
08-24-2010, 11:19 AM
The other thing Chan mentioned in the same interview is that you can only run the wildcat successfully if you're able to throw from it. I agree.

Vampire Baby
08-24-2010, 11:26 AM

The WildCat is only a gimmick when attempted by 31 NFL teams.
When used by the Dolphins it is an extremely viable and successful formation.
That is the difference.

Jan Reimers
08-24-2010, 11:32 AM
The WildCat is only a gimmick when attempted by 31 NFL teams.
When used by the Dolphins it is an extremely viable and successful formation.
That is the difference.
Thanks for the very valuable clarification. I am forever enlightened.

PromoTheRobot
08-24-2010, 11:34 AM
Roscoe, Spiller, and Jackson can throw.

PTR

justasportsfan
08-24-2010, 11:35 AM
I don't think he likes it but simply stating it's something to consider.

He was the OC of the chiefs when this play was made.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dy5s7ZUcf6Y

Vampire Baby
08-24-2010, 12:02 PM
Thanks for the very valuable clarification. I am forever enlightened.

Not a problem. I'm always happy to steer someone in the right direction when it comes to the use of the WildCat. Many have tried to duplicate the success of the formation but the Dolphins have mastered it. I can't wait to pull it out of the garage and rev it's engine on opening day LOL.
The Bills can't run it nor can they stop it.

trapezeus
08-24-2010, 12:05 PM
wildcat didn't work during the jauron years because they rarely did it, and you knew what to expect.

if the bills can line up in the formation and have a handful of designs from it. it'll hold the defenses at bay. with the exception of the titans game when it worked last year, the bills always just ran right with it.

how novel would it be if they passed it back to trent or whoever the QB is. That's be badass if it could work.

dasaybz
08-24-2010, 12:23 PM
Didn't Freddy have a beautiful TD pass out of the wildcat?

DraftBoy
08-24-2010, 12:25 PM
No shock here when I talked to Bell months ago I asked him about this gave it a chuckle and danced around the question.

Had no doubt it was coming.

JD
08-24-2010, 12:44 PM
I say we do it. Spiller and Fred in the back field. Fred takes the snap, he either hands it to CJ or tosses it.

mikemac2001
08-24-2010, 01:08 PM

could be a fun team to watch

justasportsfan
08-24-2010, 01:21 PM
wildcat didn't work during the jauron years because they rarely did it, and you knew what to expect.

Dick didn't even know what a play action was.

Michael82
08-24-2010, 01:32 PM
The team practiced the Wildcat several times today at camp. :up:

BuffaloBlitz83
08-24-2010, 02:03 PM
The team practiced the Wildcat several times today at camp. :up:

How has Rosco looked?

trapezeus
08-24-2010, 02:25 PM
Dick didn't even know what a play action was.

which is perplexing since he loved to run so much. you'd think a run oriented team would totally love the PA because you've set it up so nicely by running every 1st and second down.

and he had 8-9 people in the box at times.

i will never understand how jauron got to be a hc multiple times with the level of his patheticness.

John Doe
08-24-2010, 06:04 PM
When you are in the same division as the Dolphins you almost have to have the Wildcat formation in your playbook because you have to run it against your defense in practice at least twice a year.

Hogwasher
08-24-2010, 06:09 PM
Donovan Woods was a starting QB in college for Oklahoma State. He threw 13 touchdown passes.

Beautiful East
08-24-2010, 06:27 PM
Donovan Woods was a starting QB in college for Oklahoma State. He threw 13 touchdown passes.

Maybe we should give a shot at QB then. You all know what happened last time we had a QB with the body and mindset of a linebacker.

mightysimi
08-24-2010, 06:32 PM
Didn't Freddy have a beautiful TD pass out of the wildcat?

I thought so too. He did a beauty run fake and dropped it in for Lee.

Mike13
08-24-2010, 08:20 PM
I'm not big on gimmicks.

How is a formation that is just a power running formation a gimmick? If you know whats coming how is it a trick? Because its not a gimmick.

Beebe's Kid
08-24-2010, 09:14 PM
I thought so too. He did a beauty run fake and dropped it in for Lee.Tennessee game, PA to Lynch deep to Lee...Six. Then we game the wheel back to TE.

I guess we did fail with the Wildcat against Miami, and everybody but Miami has failed...It sure stinks having to watch Miami win all of those Super Bowls.

In all seriousness, I am really ****ing sick of the Miami **** sucking. I wonder if there will be tears about us "running up the score" again after opening week. Tuna, you fat *****, hold on to your hat, bubba, this ain't no "Wildcat" it's the Buffalo Wing. Wildcat is old news, we are rewriting the book, 3 star backs, and some ****ing jets at WR...

What you gonna do brother when the Buffalo Wing runs, and passes, wild on you???

If only the Jets and Miami were really as good as their inexplicably arrogant fans, and the media think they are.

Thief
08-24-2010, 09:29 PM
if I remember correctly, we only had one or two wildcat plays and we had already used them against other teams, so the Dolphins most likely had them scouted. Jauron and his staff were pathetic at disguising plays/play calls.LOL, how exactly do you disguise the wildcat?

stuckincincy
08-25-2010, 08:49 AM
LOL, how exactly do you disguise the wildcat?

Good question! :cam:

My understanding is that the defensive solution to it is an all-out blitz. I've no idea how the OL reacts to what is going on in the offensive backfield - every man for himself?