PDA

View Full Version : Gailey snaps back at heckling fans

Extremebillsfan247
08-24-2010, 11:31 AM
When the final training camp practice came to a close, Chan Gailey after briefly addressing his team, made a purposeful walk to the stands where he admonished a small group of fans that were heckling the players, most notably Trent Edwards.
Gailey pointed right at them and said that the players would not be coming to sign autographs for them because, “If you dog one of us, you dog all of us.”
Gailey then walked away without another word.

Read more here...

http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2010/08/24/chan-admonishes-group-of-fans/

Jan Reimers
08-24-2010, 11:35 AM
Good for Chan. That's a great way to support your players, and a good kick in the ass to a bunch of arrogant *****s.

justasportsfan
08-24-2010, 11:37 AM
I took my nephew from Pitts to the bills camp. He wanted the starting QB to sign his football so I had to reach over to let Trent autograph it. As soon as he did , he returned it to the kid closest to him :tired:

shelby
08-24-2010, 11:51 AM
:bf1:

DraftBoy
08-24-2010, 11:52 AM
Heckling is part of the game, it gets annoying and people go over board but playing the over protective dad role doesnt really do much. If he thinks its bad at Bills camp, wait till he gets to Foxboro, or Landshark.

methos4ever
08-24-2010, 11:55 AM
Heckling is part of the game, it gets annoying and people go over board but playing the over protective dad role doesnt really do much. If he thinks its bad at Bills camp, wait till he gets to Foxboro, or Landshark.
I think it's one thing to expect that on the road, but to have it from your own fans is ridiculous.

I know that Ricky Williams had to address it a few days ago during Dolphins camp - people heckling players if they mess up or asking dumb questions during practice.

It may be a generational thing - this next crop of fans feel like they're entitled to do it?

Pinkerton Security
08-24-2010, 11:57 AM

HAHA how ignorant. Heckling is NOT part of the game at your own practices...this really isnt a big deal though. I am glad he is standing up for his players though.

stuckincincy
08-24-2010, 11:57 AM

Really. I take a dim view of a multi-millioinaire insulting his paying public in any way.

Without the folks paying for entertainment - certainly not a necessity in their lives - Gailey might be a Walmart greeter.

BAM
08-24-2010, 11:58 AM
I am loving the fresh new attitude I'm seeing from the new organization. Hope it translates to the playing field when it really counts.

DraftBoy
08-24-2010, 11:59 AM
HAHA how ignorant. Heckling is NOT part of the game at your own practices...this really isnt a big deal though. I am glad he is standing up for his players though.

Ignorant how? Look at this very board on any post about Edwards, Whitner, or countless other players?

Fans have their favorites and they will heckle the ones they don't like same team or not.

See any Brohm/Fitz/Edwards thread.

stuckincincy
08-24-2010, 11:59 AM

Really. I take a dim view of a multi-millioinaire insulting his paying public in any way.

Without the folks paying for entertainment - certainly not a necessity in their lives - Gailey might be a Walmart greeter.

Hecking in show biz is as old as the hills.

trapezeus
08-24-2010, 12:00 PM
if your boss steps up for you, it makes a difference at anything you do.

jauron was such a theoretical football coach he didn't think it mattered.

but you see players past and present talk about the pressure of playing in the NFL. it has to be nice to know that your boss says, "i'll be the one to judge how he's doing, shut your mouth."

plus who are these fans that come out trash the players, and then expect to get autographs.

the bills may still have a totally lackluster year this year, but they seem to be on a ship that actually stays afloat.

DraftBoy
08-24-2010, 12:00 PM
I think it's one thing to expect that on the road, but to have it from your own fans is ridiculous.

I know that Ricky Williams had to address it a few days ago during Dolphins camp - people heckling players if they mess up or asking dumb questions during practice.

It may be a generational thing - this next crop of fans feel like their entitled to do it?

See fans on this very site ranging in age from 60+ down to 15 or 16, and they have favorites and haze/heckle the **** out of the ones they don't like. How can we suddenly expect that attitude to magically be different because its a practice?

You're assuming most fans are mature and rational, while Id argue that most are actually the exact opposite.

Philagape
08-24-2010, 12:04 PM
See fans on this very site ranging in age from 60+ down to 15 or 16, and they have favorites and haze/heckle the **** out of the ones they don't like. How can we suddenly expect that attitude to magically be different because its a practice?

Practice should be different ... live heckling is just rude and pointless. There's something to be said for decorum.

Props to Chan.

Pinkerton Security
08-24-2010, 12:04 PM
Ignorant how? Look at this very board on any post about Edwards, Whitner, or countless other players?

Fans have their favorites and they will heckle the ones they don't like same team or not.

See any Brohm/Fitz/Edwards thread.

I realize that people have their favorites, but it is a tad ignorant to say that "heckling is a part of the game" (when this occurred at PRACTICE) and then somehow compare our practice to playing at playing somewhere against a division rival...theres a difference between s***ing on a player on a message board and then going and loudly heckling them while they're trying to learn, and do so enough that the coaches out on the field find it distracting.

BAM
08-24-2010, 12:06 PM
...theres a difference between s***ing on a player on a message board and then going and loudly heckling them while they're trying to learn, and do so enough that the coaches out on the field find it distracting.

a huge difference

DraftBoy
08-24-2010, 12:07 PM
Practice should be different ... live heckling is just rude and pointless. There's something to be said for decorum.

Props to Chan.

Im not saying what he did is wrong or that the hecklers are right.

trapezeus
08-24-2010, 12:07 PM
i think the heckling at practice is a bit lame, but hey, maybe the hecklers need to warm up for the regular season. i hate hearing the lame "bills make me want to puke" hecklers at the game. get some originality, get some good one liners. Try them out on the practice crowd first, have your material down pat by the detroit game when the team is struggling.

DraftBoy
08-24-2010, 12:08 PM
I realize that people have their favorites, but it is a tad ignorant to say that "heckling is a part of the game" (when this occurred at PRACTICE) and then somehow compare our practice to playing at playing somewhere against a division rival...theres a difference between s***ing on a player on a message board and then going and loudly heckling them while they're trying to learn, and do so enough that the coaches out on the field find it distracting.

We'll have to agree to disagree here, not because I think its the same but because it would go way off topic and counter productive.

Extremebillsfan247
08-24-2010, 12:09 PM
lol What I don't understand here, and maybe someone can help me out with this, but what possible outcome would you expect out of booing and heckling at a training camp? This isn't a live game. It isn't regular season practice. it's filled with players that wont make the team in September, veteran free agents new to the team, and it's a time for new players and coaches to get a feel for each other before the season begins. So what is the point exactly? What are you expecting to see that is any different from other training camps that would provoke you to boo and heckle in the first place? I don't get it.

Dr. Lecter
08-24-2010, 12:10 PM

They really are not paying anything to attend a practice.

And payment does not give one the right to be a douchebag with no expectation of a response.

DraftBoy
08-24-2010, 12:11 PM
lol What I don't understand here, and maybe someone can help me out with this, but what possible outcome would you expect out of booing and heckling at a training camp? This isn't a live game. It isn't regular season practice. it's filled with players that wont make the team in September, veteran free agents new to the team, and it's a time for new players and coaches to get a feel for each other before the season begins. So what is the point exactly? What are you expecting to see that is any different from other training camps that would provoke you to boo and heckle in the first place? I don't get it.

You get the same result no matter when you boo, which is nothing. Which is why heckling in general is ******ed.

Extremebillsfan247
08-24-2010, 12:13 PM
Heckling is part of the game ? lol They weren't playing in a game though were they? It's training camp and not a live game. Some fans obviously fail to see the difference.

OpIv37
08-24-2010, 12:17 PM
Why would any fan be heckling Trent Edwards? He's been so good for us. :rolleyes:

dasaybz
08-24-2010, 12:20 PM
Why can't people just go to camp and have a good time, enjoy the weather and watch their favorite team practice?

What kind of an idiot goes to camp to heckle their team? Life is too short for that bull****.

sdbillsfan2
08-24-2010, 12:22 PM
I'm not saying it was right or wrong , but I didn't see to many people complain about putting up a billboard. There were many on this very board who donated to the fund! (
Like I said , I'm not saying it was right or wrong. Just an observation.
( but for the record , I did like the anti Jauron billboard ) .

Dr. Lecter
08-24-2010, 12:26 PM
The Billboard was idiotic and was embarrassing.

trapezeus
08-24-2010, 12:30 PM
the billboard was done because an owner let a total failure of a coach stay after going 2-8 with the easiest schedule and 0-6 in his division. We are forced to buy tickets to keep our team, yet we have no other way to disagree with what is being done.

going to a practice to crap on the team before anything has happened AFTER getting some of the change we clamoured for....it's overly pessimistic. And that comes from me whose avatar is the bills at the bottom of a Dow Jones crash and a guy who is predicting between 3-6 wins for the season.

Jan Reimers
08-24-2010, 12:35 PM
I'm not saying it was right or wrong , but I didn't see to many people complain about putting up a billboard. There were many on this very board who donated to the fund! (
Like I said , I'm not saying it was right or wrong. Just an observation.
( but for the record , I did like the anti Jauron billboard ) .
I was against it for several reasons, and said so in many threads.

stuckincincy
08-24-2010, 12:35 PM

And payment does not give one the right to be a douchebag with no expectation of a response.

Yes, that is so.

OTHO, there is no lack of NFL types that shower themselves with bling, fancy cars, and lift their leg on one and all.

Many are endless promoters of their own precious fannies (in their view), and it isn't limited to players. Douchebags alike.

Without the fans, a lot of these guys (and coaches) wouldn't be driving spiff cars, they would be drying them off at the exit of a car wash.

methos4ever
08-24-2010, 12:38 PM

You're assuming most fans are mature and rational, while Id argue that most are actually the exact opposite.

Y'know, you have a point there - fan is short for fanatic, and not all are rational. I liken it to Randy Quaid in Major League 2.

I can definitely put myself in there as well to friends constantly complaining about Villarrial. Then, after telling one of them I met him at a coaching clinic (he's here in PA now coaching) the first thing one of them asked me was, "So did you tell him you thought he sucked at guard?"

But to me, paying customer or not, I never took that to a game. It was akin to the "I can do it but you can't" a few posters had mentioned.

sdbillsfan2
08-24-2010, 12:38 PM
Okay....let me play Devils advocate again.

Was it okay for Woods to call out Maybin and telling him to "give some money back" ? (in public ) That was also applauded .
Before you all dump on me ...I like what Chan did. but.... some people (fans) feel the need to let guys like Trent know they don't need any of the old crap this year.!
Hell, we all have *****ed and moaned at players when we go to the games.

JD
08-24-2010, 12:39 PM
Awesome.

Chan is the man.

Jan Reimers
08-24-2010, 12:40 PM
I think that at Training Camp, you are a guest of the Bills. Heckling is therefore rude and totally out of place.

Then again, I grew up many, many years ago when there was more civility everywhere. I'm really not surprised that in this era of crudeness, some idiots would show their asses by being ungrateful guests.

sdbillsfan2
08-24-2010, 12:40 PM
I was against it for several reasons, and said so in many threads.

Yes you did Jan.. one of the very few times we disagreed . Your exempt ...lol

ddaryl
08-24-2010, 12:41 PM
idiotic are those who continue to complain but never do a ******* thing about it and then whine really hard the next year.. do nothing and then whine somemore. rinse and repeat... last time i checked that billboard did exactly what all of us wanted.. Jauron was fired. Mission accomplished, and just think it never had to get ot that point if the owner wasn't a dumbass doddling old coot who really has no business being involved in the operations of this franchise anymore.

I'll support more billboards in the future if we don't see a change in fortunes with this franchise in a couple of years. It's truly the only way a fan can get their displeasures across outside of not buying tickets and watching the franchise get moved.

As for fans drivng to practice to heckle. It's their right, but I love the fact that Chan called them out on it...

Jan Reimers
08-24-2010, 12:44 PM
As for fans drivng to practice to heckle. It's their right, but I love the fact that Chan called them out on it...
Everyone has a right to be a classless jerk, but that doesn't make it "right."

madness
08-24-2010, 12:57 PM
If I invite you to a function and you start yelling something derogatory at me or my guests... watch how fast you get bounced out to the curb.

Good for Chan, it's not like he's trying to coddle the players either...

Bills break camp (http://blogs.buffalonews.com/billboard/2010/08/bills-break-camp.html)
Aug 24, 2010 12:55:27 PM / Comment (http://blogs.buffalonews.com/billboard/2010/08/bills-break-camp.html#comments)

PITTSFORD -- The Bills wrapped up their final day of training camp Tuesday with a 75-minute practice in shoulder pads and shorts.
Head coach Chan Gailey liked the effort the players put forth, but he wasn't pleased with the overall execution. One would expect improvement after 19 days of practices, but the sloppiness of some of the sessions -- like Tuesday -- angered Gailey.
"I told them I thought we worked hard," he said. "I'm not sure we worked smart every day, but we worked hard every day. We've got to learn to work both ways. We've got to mentally be sharp every day. I thought we got lax a little bit, but overall it was a good camp.''

---Allen Wilson

OpIv37
08-24-2010, 12:59 PM
I think that at Training Camp, you are a guest of the Bills. Heckling is therefore rude and totally out of place.

Then again, I grew up many, many years ago when there was more civility everywhere. I'm really not surprised that in this era of crudeness, some idiots would show their asses by being ungrateful guests.

Or, maybe this "era of crudeness" is people expressing themselves openly instead of being silent due to some meaningless social constraint. Change isn't always a bad thing, and just because something was done differently back in the day doesn't automatically mean it's wrong now.

Fans may be guests at training camp, but fans pay for the Bills. They buy game tickets. They buy merchandise. They sit through an hour of ads during a 3 hour game. They buy Sunday Ticket. That's why the NFL works. The Bills are selling a product.

And just like any other product, when the consumer is unhappy, they have a right to voice their opinion. Is training camp the best place to do it? Probably not, but how many other opportunities are disgruntled fans going to have to express their displeasure?

Our owner and FO never hold anyone accountable. Our previous coach never held anyone accountable. Vandalism on McKelvin's lawn, the Jauron billboard, heckling at camp- these are all signs of a disapproving customer base finally expressing their displeasure. I'm not saying it's necessarily right, but it's an inevitable bi-product when you give your consumers a lousy product then do nothing to make it better.

Jan Reimers
08-24-2010, 01:02 PM
Or maybe it's just an era when ass wipes get to act like the jerks they are, with no constraints. Who knows?

OpIv37
08-24-2010, 01:03 PM
If I invite you to a function and you start yelling something derogatory at me or my guests... watch how fast you get bounced out to the curb.

what if the only reason you could afford that house was because your guests (myself included) paid a cover charge to attend said function?

And what if the only reason I was yelling at that particular guest was because he was a mechanic who's had my car in the shop for a month and hasn't been able to fix it properly yet, despite me paying him hundreds of dollars?

madness
08-24-2010, 01:16 PM
what if the only reason you could afford that house was because your guests (myself included) paid a cover charge to attend said function?

And what if the only reason I was yelling at that particular guest was because he was a mechanic who's had my car in the shop for a month and hasn't been able to fix it properly yet, despite me paying him hundreds of dollars?

I'd question my ability to budget my income.

You're right. If you think that's the proper place and time to yell derogatory comments at your mechanic, I probably wouldn't have invited you in the first place.

BuffaloBlitz83
08-24-2010, 01:19 PM
LOL, what's with the mechanic.

Voltron
08-24-2010, 01:24 PM
I think that a grown man making millions of dollars a year for playing a GAME can take a bit of trash talk from a teenager. I tend to agree with Opiv37 on this one, They have been selling a bad product for 10 years now. Our team is the laughingstock of the NFL. Don't think so? Check out the comments on this story on the ESPN website. Buffalo has now taken over the spot that Cincinnati and Cleveland held for so long.

Dr. Lecter
08-24-2010, 01:24 PM

1. Nobody paid to attend this function.

2. It would be the wrong place and time to yell at the mechanic. Do it at his place.

3. Our society is turning into a society that seems to think that yelling, screaming and harassing people that we are not happy with is somehow acceptable. Acting like a jackass is not acceptable and should not be. It would be one thing to do this to a Shawn Nelson, who screwed up.

I for one think it is great that we have a coach that has the fire to stand up for his players. It is what being a team is about.

These kids that he talked to have some growing up to do.

OpIv37
08-24-2010, 01:25 PM
I'd question my ability to budget my income.

You're right. If you think that's the proper place and time to yell derogatory comments at your mechanic, I probably wouldn't have invited you in the first place.

What if it's my only opportunity to speak to the mechanic because he won't return my calls? You expect me just to get trampled on and piss money away because YOU say it's not an appropriate place for that conversation?

**** that.

justasportsfan
08-24-2010, 01:26 PM
At least he didn't say "save your stamps"

Jan Reimers
08-24-2010, 01:28 PM
There are times and places to yell, and times and places to be a gentleman. We would all do well to figure out which is which.

Voltron
08-24-2010, 01:28 PM

Thanks Dr. obvious :D

:jk:

OpIv37
08-24-2010, 01:31 PM
1. Nobody paid to attend this function.

2. It would be the wrong place and time to yell at the mechanic. Do it at his place.

3. Our society is turning into a society that seems to think that yelling, screaming and harassing people that we are not happy with is somehow acceptable. Acting like a jackass is not acceptable and should not be. It would be one thing to do this to a Shawn Nelson, who screwed up.

I for one think it is great that we have a coach that has the fire to stand up for his players. It is what being a team is about.

1. Nobody paid to attend this SPECIFIC function, but if it wasn't for diehard fans who attend training camp, the team wouldn't exist in the first place and there would be no function.

2. The mechanic doesn't let me into his place, or if I do get into his place, he hides in the back under someone's car and they won't let me get close enough for him to hear my complaints.

3. Some people are just jackasses, but often the reason people are yelling, screaming and harassing is because they tried being pleasant and it didn't get them anywhere. For 10 years, fans of this team have been patient- continuing to buy tickets and merch and watch the games despite a crappy product on the field. And the "obedient consumer" routine got us nowhere. So, now it's time to try the "obnoxious jackass" routine to let them know that this **** has to stop.

The coach has to find a balance between standing up for the players and holding them accountable. To me, this sends a message of "don't worry about how poorly you play- the fans don't have a right to express their displeasure about it anyway."

k-oneputt
08-24-2010, 01:31 PM
It's part of the package. You are a professional then you have to deal with the heckling. The best way to deal with it is to ignore it. You have to have some thick skin to play qb and be a headcoach. Deal with it and shutup.

OpIv37
08-24-2010, 01:32 PM
There are times and places to yell, and times and places to be a gentleman. We would all do well to figure out which is which.

Sometimes the people who need to be yelled at only show up at the times and places when we're supposed to be gentlemen, and it's about time somebody stood up to that crap.

Dr. Lecter
08-24-2010, 01:34 PM
What if it's my only opportunity to speak to the mechanic because he won't return my calls? You expect me just to get trampled on and piss money away because YOU say it's not an appropriate place for that conversation?

**** that.
If it his party and his house, he sure as hell can tell you what is appropriate and what is not.

You have options like going to the garage itself.

Besides - back on topic - will heckling Trent really make him a better QB? And, if not, what is the reason to do so?

Jan Reimers
08-24-2010, 01:36 PM
Sometimes the people who need to be yelled at only show up at the times and places when we're supposed to be gentlemen, and it's about time somebody stood up to that crap.
You haven't figured it out yet, Op. But you're young. Keep working on it.

justasportsfan
I don't see anything wrong with people heckling players they don't like depending on what was said and I don't don't see a problem with Gailey sticking up for his players.

Michael82
I may dislike Trent Edwards a bit, I thought it was rude when the "fans" were heckling Trent today and mocking him out about his hair. I was glad to see Gailey come to them after practice and let them know they won't be getting any autographs. The players followed thru too....a lot of players came to the fence after practice to sign autographs, but they walked right by the idiots.

Having said that...if he struggles and sucks in a real game that I'm at, I will boo him or make a comment to myself about that horrible pass that was INT or whatever and I have done it before.

OpIv37
08-24-2010, 01:37 PM
If it his party and his house, he sure as hell can tell you what is appropriate and what is not.

You have options like going to the garage itself.

Besides - back on topic - will heckling Trent really make him a better QB? And, if not, what is the reason to do so?

will heckling make him a better QB? Directly, no, but if he cares about the fans, it may indirectly make him work harder.

More importantly, like I just said, Gailey's little lecture sends a message to Trent that consists of "don't worry about how poorly you play- the fans don't have a right to express their displeasure about it anyway." The fans and the coach should both be holding players accountable. I can't support a coach defending mediocrity to the fans.

Dr. Lecter
. But you're young.

You say that to everybody!

Mad Bomber
I took my nephew from Pitts to the bills camp. He wanted the starting QB to sign his football so I had to reach over to let Trent autograph it. As soon as he did , he returned it to the kid closest to him :tired:

Interception!

justasportsfan
08-24-2010, 01:39 PM
Interception!

nope, checkdown.

Dr. Lecter
08-24-2010, 01:39 PM
will heckling make him a better QB? Directly, no, but if he cares about the fans, it may indirectly make him work harder.

More importantly, like I just said, Gailey's little lecture sends a message to Trent that consists of "don't worry about how poorly you play- the fans don't have a right to express their displeasure about it anyway." The fans and the coach should both be holding players accountable. I can't support a coach defending mediocrity to the fans.

No that is not his message. His message is that we are team and the team should stick together.

And I am sure he does not mind the fans expressing displeasure. But we have both seen how kids act and how out of control they get. Since we do not know what was being said, there is a chance (a high one, imo) that the comments were out of line. And, if they are loud to the point that they distract from the practice isn't that harming their own cause?

Jan Reimers
08-24-2010, 01:40 PM
I may dislike Trent Edwards a bit, I thought it was rude when the "fans" were heckling Trent today and mocking him out about his hair. I was glad to see Gailey come to them after practice and let them know they won't be getting any autographs. The players followed thru too....a lot of players came to the fence after practice to sign autographs, but they walked right by the idiots.

Having said that...if he struggles and sucks in a real game that I'm at, I will boo him or make a comment to myself about that horrible pass that was INT or whatever and I have done it before.
I agree. I see games as different from the more intimate, more fan friendly training camp atmosphere.

OpIv37
08-24-2010, 01:40 PM
You haven't figured it out yet, Op. But you're young. Keep working on it.

who's the "know-it-all" now?

I started typing a long response to this, but this has nothing to do with the Bills or football, and I've already wasted too much time arguing attitudes and mentalities in this thread. It's not worth it.

Michael82
08-24-2010, 01:41 PM
Also, one addition....after watching Training Camp and seeing how hostile Bills fans are getting towards the players when they make mistakes and basically at the team in general, it seems to me like the 10 years of crap teams is finally getting to people and the bitterness, hostility and anger is at a record level. People are frustrated and if this team comes out of the gate with an 0-4 start, it's going to get ugly at the Ralph.

Michael82
08-24-2010, 01:42 PM
I agree. I see games as different from the more intimate, more fan friendly training camp atmosphere.
Exactly! This is definitely something unusual. I don't remember heckling at camp before, unless an idiot was upset because the player didn't sign an autograph for them.

IMO, this is another sign about how Bills fans frustrations are at a really high level and it's close to boiling over. The heckling is just the beginning.

Jan Reimers
08-24-2010, 01:43 PM
who's the "know-it-all" now?

I started typing a long response to this, but this has nothing to do with the Bills or football, and I've already wasted too much time arguing attitudes and mentalities in this thread. It's not worth it.
I never said I get it right everytime. I know the difference, but sometimes my temper overcomes my better judgment. I think the same thing may happen to you.

OpIv37
08-24-2010, 01:44 PM
No that is not his message. His message is that we are team and the team should stick together.

And I am sure he does not mind the fans expressing displeasure. But we have both seen how kids act and how out of control they get. Since we do not know what was being said, there is a chance (a high one, imo) that the comments were out of line. And, if they are loud to the point that they distract from the practice isn't that harming their own cause?

If it was so bad that it was distracting from the practice, he should have ended it right there, either by himself or by calling security, rather than waiting until the close of practice.

Extremebillsfan247
Here is another thing I don't understand, If you don't like a player on the team, then why are you bothering to watch him practice at all? There are lot of other players on that field you can watch in practice, why waste your time and energy on a player you don't like? One would think that if you didn't like a player, then it would be obvious that he wasn't the reason you decided to go to TC in the first place, right? Then you show up and heckle. I mean anyone with half a brain has to have it figured out that no matter how much hate you have and decide to put on display for a player, it will have zero effect on a head coach's decision on whether or not that player is good enough to play for him. It's good to see Gailey stick up for his players like that. With him its all about the team. I don't know about anyone else here, but I like that. JMO..

OpIv37
I never said I get it right everytime. I know the difference, but sometimes my temper overcomes my better judgment. I think the same thing may happen to you.

Ok, I can't argue with that....

trapezeus
08-24-2010, 01:47 PM
the team essentially strips the fans of voicing its displeasure of not showing up because they threaten with viability bs all the time.

that's where this rage is coming from.

i just think heckling at camp is like whitner twittering trash about a preseason game. none of this matters. it's just to get an idea of what regular season will look like.

so far through 2 games it looks same old same old. we can beat 4-3 teams, but we can't block or be mentally into a game against 3-4. The team has to sort it out. boo-ing at this stage where they are trying to figure things out, seems counterproductive.

DrGraves
08-24-2010, 02:00 PM
trent sucks. he deserves it.

BuffaloBlitz83
08-24-2010, 02:01 PM
They didn't strip the voice. Heckle all you want. You're not getting kicked out. You just get no autographs. Autographs are a gift to fans not a duty

TacklingDummy
08-24-2010, 02:02 PM

Maybe they were Miami or Jets fans.

Mr. Pink
08-24-2010, 02:13 PM
Hecklers are always right.

Without fans those guys wouldn't have jobs.

What a pussy move by Gailey on this one.

Without those people who were ripping apart Edwards, Gailey wouldn't be a head coach in this league.

Why athletes and coaches feel they're above the fans sometimes bothers me...I'm done now.

methos4ever
08-24-2010, 02:16 PM
Maybe they were Miami or Jets fans.
Maybe so, but I've been to 3 practices this year. The only night practice I was at, there were a few fans who thought themselves quite witty with comments toward Edwards, Maybin and I believe Whitner. And all three still signed afterward.

Maybe this was the straw that broke the camel's back?

justasportsfan
08-24-2010, 02:22 PM
I'm done now.
as a bills fan?

dplus47
08-24-2010, 03:33 PM

Great post. You hit on a couple of things that strike me as very important in this. You said it in two sentences, which makes me envious. I'm gonna quote you and amplify what you said because I think it's dead on.

First, "we're talking about practice!" I think there's a big difference between heckling at practice and heckling at a game. I don't do either, but people pay a lot to go to games and can do as they wish. It is a privilege for fans to be able to even attend practice, and I think it's counterproductive and crazy to heckle there. That's just me.

Your second point was the biggest one for me; I bolded it. People these days are always crying about "free speech" and how they won't be silenced, because they have "free speech," and it's a god given right or something.

Most people who talk about "free speech" are deeply confused, because they think they have a god given right to "consequence-free speech," which is ridiculous. You may say whatever you want, but you may also feel consequences from what you say. When the consequences come, there should be no crying about "free speech." With freedom comes responsibility.

Another great term that gets thrown around and abused is "personal responsibility," but it works in this case. Say what you want, but own what you say and take some "personal responsibility" for whatever consequences may come to you.

In this case, I'm glad Gailey was there delivering the consequences. That kind of unity is big for a team.

G Wolly
08-24-2010, 03:39 PM
He hasn't even coached a regular season game yet.

And this guy already owns Jauron is so many ways.

I love this guy.

Electrici
08-24-2010, 03:42 PM
Heckling in professional sports is perfectly legit. Athletes make more than enough money to take in a few jolts from people. The problem here is its from your own fans. That is just pathetic and how anyone can possibly excuse this behavior is beyond me.

Gailey did the right thing, ended practice when he wanted to, not because some loudmouth idiots were saying dumb things. He walked up to these children like a grown man, pointed them out, and they got excluded from autographs as a punishment.

None of this is earth shattering, but I feel the man stood up for his players, his team, and that goes a long way.

Whoever said heckling on a messageboard is the same as heckling in real life is just wrong. The internet provides a sort of anonymity where you can pretty much say what you'd like, with the vast majority not knowing, or caring who you are. 99% of these people would not go to real life practice and say the same things, and if they do they aren't saying it to anyone's face... so what good is it? What good is it saying it to their face anyhow? What good is it to mock your own team?

I don't see any positives of it.

TacklingDummy
08-24-2010, 03:42 PM
When the Bills are 4-12 we'll see what the opinions are of Gailey.

BuffaloBlitz83
08-24-2010, 03:49 PM
When the Bills are 4-12 we'll see what the opinions are of Gailey.

I think we'll finish 8-8 which will be a good year. Only if the OL doesn't kill Trent or CJ

Philagape
08-24-2010, 04:05 PM
Per AP:

Edwards also was targeted for his haircut - he's grown out his hair and sideburns - and for being a native Californian.

Idiots.

G Wolly
08-24-2010, 04:09 PM
Per AP:

Idiots.

That's not even creative.

bigbub2352
08-24-2010, 04:10 PM
Good for Chan and good for the team...finally sounds like we are getting an IDENTITY

Beebe's Kid
08-24-2010, 04:13 PM
My old man used to say to me "It's called courtesy."

I am not saying you have to lick nuts, but you can be the bigger. This is a game that we choose to watch. Don't lose sight of what it is really important in life.

Gailey didn't take his shirt off and challenge an adolescent to a fist fight. He made a statement as the leader of the team. I guarantee that these guys weren't saying something that was borderline offensive. I am sure they were pretty scathing.

Wonder why Edwards lacks confidence? We start 5-1, in '08, then he throws three picks early against Cleveland, after the concussion. After the game when reporters are asking about it, Jauron tells them to ask Trent. Gailey would say "I made some bad play calls that didn't match up well against the defense. It left TE with no time and he rushed decisions, due to pressure, and turnovers ensued. I need to do a better job." Dick had no balls.

Are you free to heckle and scream like an *******? If that is what you really need to do, then yes, you are free to do so. Is that the right thing to do? No. There is not rationalization about a decade of losing or whatever crime you think the Bills have comitted against you that makes that right. Again you can do whatever you want, but that doesn't make it right.

There used to be a saying about treating others the way you would want to be treated, or something to that effect. Don't respond with some bull**** answer about salaries, or paying to go to games, there is not gun to your head, and if it makes you that mad, see a shrink.

When did it become a "right" or "duty" to be a classless *******?

****'em, Chan. I glad you done what you done!

Commissioner
08-24-2010, 04:18 PM
Gailey is the face of the franchise and the leader right now.

It's his job to look out for his guys.

From what I heard... those group of fans were there a lot and this wasn't the first time. Even some other fans told them to grow up.

BertSquirtgum
08-24-2010, 04:40 PM

Hecking in show biz is as old as the hills.

you said that twice. it was worth crap both times.

Extremebillsfan247
08-24-2010, 04:51 PM
Here is one of the best responses to this incident that I've seen today so far.

Too many times I've seen fans ride a player unmercifully from the stands only to turn into trembling fawns when the player comes to the rail to sign an autograph or pose for a picture. It's a safe assumption the same fans who grow Internet muscles when they post anonymously on a message board would go scrambling for a Sharpie if they knew they might get to meet the same player they've been ripping online.
You can read the entire article here.. http://espn.go.com/blog/afceast/post/_/id/16861/chan-gailey-wont-tolerate-bills-insults

Novacane
08-24-2010, 05:21 PM
Sorry but I don't think this is some great thing to be praising Gailey for. A few fans heckle Edwards so he insults and punishes all the fans??? Awesome Chan. Insult the people who pay your salary :rolleyes: Sounds like the arrogant heavy hand of Donahoe all over again and so many of you think this is just great? :idunno: I thought Chan was supposed to be some super Christian. Why not practice your faith and turn the other cheek Chan???

Is this actually going to make Edwards stop sucking? I doubt it. If he keeps playing like he has the last 2 years then Gailey can go shove it up his ass. Trent will get heckled and he will deserve it!!!!!!!!

psubills62
08-24-2010, 05:21 PM
It sounds like it was a group of teenagers heckling the players. Teenagers. Maybe I'm discriminating, but how much money do you guys really think some teenagers have contributed to the team? Have they paid for season tickets? If they haven't pumped money into this team in the past, do they deserve the right to heckle? It's not like it was a group of senior citizens who have devoted their lives to following this team. I'm sure the senior citizens would know better anyway.

No matter what rights they might have, Gailey has just as much right to tell them to knock it off.

Philagape
08-24-2010, 05:24 PM
Sorry but I don't think this is some great thing to be praising Gailey for. A few fans heckle Edwards so he insults and punishes all the fans??? Awesome Chan. Insult the people who pay your salary :rolleyes: Sounds like the arrogant heavy hand of Donahoe all over again and so many of you think this is just great? :idunno: I thought Chan was supposed to be some super Christian. Why not practice your faith and turn the other cheek Chan???

Turning the other cheek means ignoring them, and that's exactly what the Bills did, instead of giving them autographs.
Nobody's entitled to autographs.
And it wasn't "all" the fans, just that section, and I'm sure the other bystanders there know who's the blame: the snot-nosed little punks.

BillsWin
08-24-2010, 05:28 PM
If it makes the players play harder for Gailey, I'm all for this.

Just win baby.

Hogwasher
08-24-2010, 05:30 PM
Trent's hair looks stupid and he has a wimpy California attitude. The fans probably deserved to be kicked in the nuts, and Gailey did a good job sticking up for his guy.

BuffaloBlitz83
08-24-2010, 05:31 PM
Good job by chan. heckle trent if he plays bad, but he had a good game in last outing. So the fans or kids need a spanking. Where's travis henry

Novacane
08-24-2010, 05:32 PM
Turning the other cheek means ignoring them, and that's exactly what the Bills did, instead of giving them autographs.
Nobody's entitled to autographs.
And it wasn't "all" the fans, just that section, and I'm sure the other bystanders there know who's the blame: the snot-nosed little punks.

Gailey did not ignore them. He went over and confronted them. Sorry but this is bad PR on Gaileys part. A handful of stupid punks act like *******s so he punishes everyone? Stupid

Novacane
08-24-2010, 05:33 PM
If it makes the players play harder for Gailey, I'm all for this.

Just win baby.

It may make them play harder but will it make them not suck? In Edwards case playing harder ain't gonna help.

Beebe's Kid
08-24-2010, 05:33 PM

Is this actually going to make Edwards stop sucking? I doubt it. If he keeps playing like he has the last 2 years then Gailey can go shove it up his ass. Trent will get heckled and he will deserve it!!!!!!!!
He didn't insult or punish anybody. He made a statement to them, and he made a statement to his team.

Arrogant? Heavy handed? What does him being a Christian have to do with this?

Don't get all salty balls because you didn't get your autograph.

Beebe's Kid
08-24-2010, 05:38 PM
He hasn't even coached a regular season game yet.

And this guy already owns Jauron is so many ways.

I love this guy.

I thought about this quote, and how right you are...

Some genius followed up by asking how we would feel if we went 2-14, or something to that effect.

I can tell you that if we go 2-14, but we play with balls, and we leave it all on the field, that I will feel a lot better than I did going 7-9, and never taking a shot at the glory. If we play to win, and don't play not to lose, I would feel a lot better about Chan.

By the way, a team with backbone and resolve will not go 2-14. There is too little that separates good from bad teams in this league. I think we are going to see that one thing that separates them is a leader on the sidelines. I think we found a leader, boys. Chan is a respected offensive mind, and apparently the old boy has a set of brass nuts. You really can't get any closer to the anti-Dick.

wmoz11
08-24-2010, 05:45 PM
Gailey did not ignore them. He went over and confronted them. Sorry but this is bad PR on Gaileys part. A handful of stupid punks act like *******s so he punishes everyone? Stupid

Problem reading? He didn't punish everyone. He asked that the players not sign in that particular section. Everyone else got their autographs.

X-Era
08-24-2010, 05:45 PM
I want to know if it was anybody from here or if Mikey, or anyone else there, knew them.

John Doe
08-24-2010, 05:47 PM
The purpose of heckling is to distract an opponent. It may or may not be effective, but that is the purpose.

Chan is right - if you are heckling a Bill at practice you are dogging the whole team and trying to affect their performance in a negative way.

Novacane
08-24-2010, 05:48 PM
He didn't insult or punish anybody. He made a statement to them, and he made a statement to his team.

Arrogant? Heavy handed? What does him being a Christian have to do with this?

Don't get all salty balls because you didn't get your autograph.

Don't be an effing ***** beebe. You disagree so you post a stupid ass immature comeback like that. I would not waste my time getting any pro-athletes signature.

Novacane
08-24-2010, 05:49 PM
Problem reading? He didn't punish everyone. He asked that the players not sign in that particular section. Everyone else got their autographs.

So EVERYONE in that section was heckling? Got it :rolleyes:

Novacane
08-24-2010, 05:51 PM
I can tell you that if we go 2-14, but we play with balls, and we leave it all on the field, that I will feel a lot better than I did going 7-9, and never taking a shot at the glory. If we play to win, and don't play not to lose, I would feel a lot better about Chan.

:bs:

Philagape
08-24-2010, 05:58 PM
Don't be an effing ***** beebe. You disagree so you post a stupid ass immature comeback like that.

Now you know how Gailey felt.

Beebe's Kid
08-24-2010, 06:03 PM
Don't be an effing ***** beebe. You disagree so you post a stupid ass immature comeback like that. I would not waste my time getting any pro-athletes signature.
I am a *****. It was more of a retort that a comeback. Maybe calling you salty-balls was a little immature, but if it's the worst thing I do today, I'm doing alright.

You question his faith. What does that have to do with sticking up for his players? How is it a bad thing, what he did?

You are kind of like a cornered badger here, because you are just like these fans. You think that Edwards or anybody else on this team owes you something, because you spend your time and money to go see them. They owe you nothing, and regardless of who pays who, no man deserves to be insulted publicly like that. Gailey called a spade a spade, brother. That's what happened. The other fans that didn't get autographs, who do you think they are mad at? Gailey or the punks that ruined it, by failing to have an ounce of class?

You would not waste you time getting a signature...that's fine, nor would I. Would you endanger the chances of the kids in your section getting it because you feel some sort of unjustified self-importance and you need to scream personal insults at another man because he hasn't been a good enough QB for your team of choice? He didn't meet your expectations, so he should endure your insults, then pretend it didn't happen? I have been as disappointed with Edwards as anybody, but it isn't my place to belittle him, let alone in public, for it. Do you think he has let you down on purpose? You don't think he wants to be a star QB?

I called you salty balls, and you flip ****. I am willing to be you that these fans called TE a lot worse than salty balls, and nobody flipped. Gailey said you dog one of us you dog all of us. It's called integrity, he didn't lower himself to insults and name calling, it was the classic when one kid acts up, the whole class misses recess. It sends a message.

I realize I wasted my time responding to you, because you are obviously owed a great debt by this team that you choose to follow. You are obviously on a crusade to defend the behavior exhibited by these fans, and that is way more your problem than mine. I just know that when my kids are old enough to yell at games, that if they feel like screaming insults they will stop and think about being in the other position, and hopefully decide against it.

You keep going though, 'Cane, you keep doing you, because it is your "right."

Night Train
08-24-2010, 06:07 PM
That this thread gets 6 pages and turns into an internet *****fight is priceless.

:rofl:

Beebe's Kid
08-24-2010, 06:11 PM
That this thread gets 6 pages and turns into an internet *****fight is priceless.

:rofl:

Who you calling a *****, *****?:catfight::jerry::duel::roflmao: (there are some good smiley faces at our disposal.)

Philagape
08-24-2010, 06:34 PM
Sorry but this is bad PR on Gaileys part.

The sentiment here is overwhelmingly pro-Gailey, so I'd say it was good PR

Novacane
08-24-2010, 06:39 PM
The sentiment here is overwhelmingly pro-Gailey, so I'd say it was good PR

We'll see how you all feel when reality sets in, we're not 0-0 anymore and he's pulling the same kind of thing when Edwards sucks.

Novacane
08-24-2010, 06:48 PM
I am a *****. It was more of a retort that a comeback. Maybe calling you salty-balls was a little immature, but if it's the worst thing I do today, I'm doing alright.

You question his faith. What does that have to do with sticking up for his players? How is it a bad thing, what he did?

You are kind of like a cornered badger here, because you are just like these fans. You think that Edwards or anybody else on this team owes you something, because you spend your time and money to go see them. They owe you nothing, and regardless of who pays who, no man deserves to be insulted publicly like that. Gailey called a spade a spade, brother. That's what happened. The other fans that didn't get autographs, who do you think they are mad at? Gailey or the punks that ruined it, by failing to have an ounce of class?

You would not waste you time getting a signature...that's fine, nor would I. Would you endanger the chances of the kids in your section getting it because you feel some sort of unjustified self-importance and you need to scream personal insults at another man because he hasn't been a good enough QB for your team of choice? He didn't meet your expectations, so he should endure your insults, then pretend it didn't happen? I have been as disappointed with Edwards as anybody, but it isn't my place to belittle him, let alone in public, for it. Do you think he has let you down on purpose? You don't think he wants to be a star QB?

I called you salty balls, and you flip ****. I am willing to be you that these fans called TE a lot worse than salty balls, and nobody flipped. Gailey said you dog one of us you dog all of us. It's called integrity, he didn't lower himself to insults and name calling, it was the classic when one kid acts up, the whole class misses recess. It sends a message.

I realize I wasted my time responding to you, because you are obviously owed a great debt by this team that you choose to follow. You are obviously on a crusade to defend the behavior exhibited by these fans, and that is way more your problem than mine. I just know that when my kids are old enough to yell at games, that if they feel like screaming insults they will stop and think about being in the other position, and hopefully decide against it.

You keep going though, 'Cane, you keep doing you, because it is your "right."

:lmao: That post was so full of crap I don't know where to start. The Bills have let me down....I'm just like the fans that were yelling at Edwards....I think the Bills owe me....Trent has not met my expectations so I would yell insults at him too.......blah blah blah. Ok Dr Freud. How much do I owe you for your expert analysis? :rofl: You don't know a damn thing about me :loser:

Novacane
08-24-2010, 06:54 PM
You are obviously on a crusade to defend the behavior exhibited by these fans, and that is way more your problem than mine. ."

Re-read bud. I have not defended them . It was idiotic behavior. I would have been embarrassed had I been sitting near them. My entire point has been Gailey should have just blown them off. I just don't think it was this great coaching move like you seem to think. Win some games and I'll believe in Chan. Yelling at a handfull of *******s ain't making me a believer.

Philagape
08-24-2010, 06:58 PM
We'll see how you all feel when reality sets in, we're not 0-0 anymore and he's pulling the same kind of thing when Edwards sucks.

Edwards sucks now.

He's not the issue. The point is Gailey's leadership and boldness.
How one feels about what he did should have nothing to do with whether the hecklers were correct or not (although in this case they were a bunch of kids hurling insults you'd expect from a bunch of kids).

And if you want to bring up his faith, Jesus boldly defended others; you may be familiar with the story of the adulteress about to be stoned. "Turn the other cheek" is what to do when you're insulted, and Edwards did a fine job of that.

Novacane
08-24-2010, 07:06 PM
I'll agree to disagree with you Phil. I just don't see it as a bold show of leadership. I'd have ignored the morons.

It appears bringing Gaileys faith into this rubbed you the wrong way. In hindsight I should have left that out of it :up:

Philagape
08-24-2010, 07:15 PM
I'll agree to disagree with you Phil. I just don't see it as a bold show of leadership. I'd have ignored the morons.

It appears bringing Gaileys faith into this rubbed you the wrong way. In hindsight I should have left that out of it :up:

Not at all, it made me think about the topic Biblically, and I appreciate that.

Billz_fan
08-24-2010, 07:31 PM
Well, I would never act like that at practice. I may not like certain players or believe in them but I certainly would not disrespect them at there own practice. I may have a different view than most being Im older but I view being at practice as.....well sort of a privaledge that they don't really have to let me if they don't want to.

That said. I think Chan might have snapped a little calling people in the stands out for heckling. I probably would have had security go over there and politely tell them that if they don't pipe down they will be leaving :laughter:

Novacane
08-24-2010, 08:02 PM
That said. I think Chan might have snapped a little calling people in the stands out for heckling. I probably would have had security go over there and politely tell them that if they don't pipe down they will be leaving :laughter:

That would have been cool with me. If they were disrupting have them kicked out. I can also see why Gailey might be a little grouchy given what he has to work with at QB.

madness
08-24-2010, 08:40 PM
This certainly applies to some here.

The ignornace and stupidity of alot of people on this board has become evident. Making stupid comments about the fans have the right to say what they want and Trent should suck it up and be a man.......you people are rediculous. I was there today and I was there a day last week not 30 feet from the same stupid kids that were yelled at today. The racist, sexual, homosexula comments that were being yelled around children and women, prompted several people to say something to them today and last week they were asked twice by security to stop due to complaints from parents.
They were not yelling typical poor sports couch potatoe fan stuff, and theywere not yelling at just Trent. anyone who made a mistake was ridiculed with EXTREME profanity and terms that people are prosecuted in hate crimes for. Security should have thrown them out for good, but that to hard to do.

Beebe's Kid
08-24-2010, 09:03 PM
This certainly applies to some here.

Well and there you have it.

Luisito23
08-24-2010, 09:06 PM
Stupid ass dorks.

methos4ever
08-24-2010, 10:44 PM
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/13813379/bills-coach-gailey-challenges-heckling-fans/cbsnews

Some of the incident on video. Apologies if it has been already posted.

One note: I think it's 1950's awesome that one person shouts back to him "You tell 'em coach!"

wmoz11
08-24-2010, 10:51 PM
Haha the little ****s probably pissed themselves. They didn't have much to say after that.

Philagape
08-24-2010, 10:55 PM
Smile!

http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n270/Philagape/Bills/gailey.jpg

Michael82
08-25-2010, 12:19 AM
I heard it was LOSman WINS. He must have been pissed because Edwards is not from Buffalo. :funny:

Buffalogic
08-25-2010, 12:25 AM
Looks like just a bunch of kids.

G Wolly
08-25-2010, 12:47 AM

Well then someone needs to learn some parenting.

Michael82
08-25-2010, 01:04 AM
And this comment is directed at Novacane....the players signed autographs for everyone else in that section. But they were told not to sign for the group of kids who were harassing Edwards and the other players...

TacklingDummy
08-25-2010, 07:49 AM

Haha, That's manly.

Novacane
08-25-2010, 08:29 AM
And this comment is directed at Novacane....the players signed autographs for everyone else in that section. But they were told not to sign for the group of kids who were harassing Edwards and the other players...

I don't have any problem with that. I would not have signed for jerks that were harrassing me either. That is not how it was presented in the beginning of this thread.

justasportsfan
08-25-2010, 10:39 AM
It's up to Gailey and Trent to turn these hecklers into fans. Respect is earned. Prove these hecklers wrong.

madness
08-25-2010, 11:17 AM
It's up to Gailey and Trent to turn these hecklers into fans. Respect is earned. Prove these hecklers wrong.
I don't see why Gailey and the players are responsible for proving that they are not ******s or ****ing ******s.

justasportsfan
08-25-2010, 11:26 AM
I don't see why Gailey and the players are responsible for proving that they are not ******s or ****ing ******s.

I never said they weren't bleep,bleep,bleep. Just stating it's up to them to change these hecklers opinions.

Sports analysts do that everyday in a subtle way when they say the bills (or any team) are gonna be horrible. They're not going to go out and publicly say the bills are gonna blow, suck **** . It's up to the team to prove these guys wrong too. The team has admitted that several times that they have a lot to prove. These hecklers just went overboard.

Night Train
08-25-2010, 11:42 AM
Gailey did that with his players watching him. He was using those kids.

"I've got your back" was the message he sent, which galvanizes a locker room.

I didn't expect most here to get that and I see many didn't.

justasportsfan
08-25-2010, 11:59 AM
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/13813379/bills-coach-gailey-challenges-heckling-fans/cbsnews

Some of the incident on video. Apologies if it has been already posted.

One note: I think it's 1950's awesome that one person shouts back to him "You tell 'em coach!"

One fan called out for Edwards to prepare to lose his job to third-stringer Brian Brohm. Edwards also was targeted for his haircut -- he's grown out his hair and sideburns -- and for being a native Californian.

If this is it, I don't see what the big deal is especially coming from kids.

methos4ever
08-25-2010, 12:30 PM
If this is it, I don't see what the big deal is especially coming from kids.
From some of the other reports, I think that was part of it. A lot had to do with the vulgarity used while expressing those sentiments.

I wasn't there, so I can't confirm though.

Jan Reimers
08-25-2010, 01:56 PM
The little classless creeps should have been trown out.

justasportsfan
08-25-2010, 01:58 PM
The little classless creeps should have been trown out.
send them to Afghanistan.

evol4276
08-25-2010, 02:26 PM
great! bout time we have a coach who isnt afraid to say things. i still die laughing anytime i rehear his comment about oakland.

ZAZusmc03
08-25-2010, 02:27 PM
I don't care if it was the right thing to do or not, Its just refreshing to see a coach with a personality.

justasportsfan
08-25-2010, 03:12 PM
"this is a tough game for tough people...except when they call us names "

:jk:

Novacane
08-25-2010, 04:57 PM
I don't care if it was the right thing to do or not, Its just refreshing to see a coach with a personality.

That I absolutely agree with. I just hope he is more than just words. Talk is cheap.

Historian
08-25-2010, 06:45 PM
I think Gailey needs to worry about fielding a competitive team, as opposed to a couple douchebag fans.

And they were heckling Trent at the open practice too.

Jan Reimers
08-25-2010, 06:52 PM
I think Gailey needs to worry about fielding a competitive team, as opposed to a couple douchebag fans.

I'm glad Chan showed a little fire. I'm just sorry he didn't have the rude little bastards thrown out. Hint: When you're a guest, don't act like an ass.

Michael82
08-25-2010, 07:10 PM
Here's the whole video...it shows the idiot fans and their reaction. It wasn't kids. Actually Gailey pointed at one main guy during most of his admonishment. That guy with the red shirt was rude several times to the players and didn't care about practice. He also stood at the fence and waited to get autographs. (I swear he was selling them, but I may be wrong.)

Dr. Lecter
08-25-2010, 08:18 PM

I think the goal of the the latter is the former.

They are not mutually exclusive events

Michael82
08-25-2010, 08:51 PM
Forgot the link.... :doh:

http://www.wkbw.com/sports/Gailey-Defends-Players-Yells-at-Rowdy-Fans-101405434.html?vid=a

Michael82
08-25-2010, 08:51 PM
<object height="288" width="470"><param name="movie" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" value="http://www.wkbw.com/v/?i=101405434" /><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always" /><param name="wmode" value="transparent" /><param name="AllowFullScreen" value="true" /><embed type="application/x-shockwave-flash" src="http://www.wkbw.com/v/?i=101405434" AllowFullScreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" height="288" wmode="transparent" width="470"></embed></object>

Novacane
08-26-2010, 07:27 AM
It did not seem to bother Trent. Kind off seemed like he thought it was funny.

Novacane
08-26-2010, 07:30 AM
Did you noitce how Chan motioned the media and cameras to follow him? Looks like he was trying to make a show of it.

Historian
08-26-2010, 09:29 AM
I think the goal of the the latter is the former.

They are not mutually exclusive events

"Listen to fans, and you end up sitting next to them."- Marv Levy

Extremebillsfan247
08-26-2010, 11:47 AM
One thing for sure is that Chan really ignited the fan base either positively or negatively. Thanks to all the posters in here for your input on this topic. I mean, look at all these responses. This board is awesome. JMO... :rockon: Go Bills...

justasportsfan
08-26-2010, 11:58 AM
"Listen to fans, and you end up sitting next to them."- Marv Levy

If he listened to the fans who didn't want Jauron , he wouldn't be sitting with them.