PDA

View Full Version : Torres to Vancouver

rbochan
08-25-2010, 07:59 AM
Per Dan Murphy's twitter (http://twitter.com/sportsnetmurph), Raffi Torres signed with the Canucks for 1-year, $1-million.

OpIv37
08-25-2010, 07:59 AM
Meh. Guy did nothing here.

RockStar36
08-25-2010, 08:35 AM
Funny that he only got a $1 million contract.

And Kennedy was worth the same amount?

Philagape
08-25-2010, 09:09 AM
Meh. Guy did nothing here.

That's often a cliche, but in this case it's literally true. Zero goals in 18 games will go down in Sabres lore.

OpIv37
08-25-2010, 09:35 AM
That's often a cliche, but in this case it's literally true. Zero goals in 18 games will go down in Sabres lore.

especially since he had more goals than anyone on our team except Vanek when we traded for him.

chernobylwraiths
08-25-2010, 04:16 PM
I liked him and his style of play. I think the goals would have eventually come, even with him playing with 3rd liners.

TheGhostofJimKelly
08-25-2010, 04:38 PM
Vancouver is actually a good place for him.

SkateZilla
08-25-2010, 05:11 PM
Take your 0+5=5 Point Post Trade deadline ... buh bye...

tampabay25690
08-25-2010, 06:27 PM
He just wasn't a fit in our style of team...

chernobylwraiths
08-25-2010, 08:36 PM

True. He has grit.

He probably got depressed coming here last year being traded to a team of wusses.

PA Bills Fan
08-25-2010, 08:38 PM
Just what is our style of team???

SabreEleven
08-25-2010, 08:46 PM

Don't go there.

rbochan
08-26-2010, 07:59 AM
Cream style.

trapezeus
08-26-2010, 11:57 AM
poll question: was the torres trade worse than the corkum trade?

RockStar36
08-26-2010, 01:01 PM
What exactly was bad about the Torres trade? I mean, besides the obvious that he didn't score any goals and turned into a healthy scratch.

They gave up Paestch in that deal who was doing nothing but eating nachos in the press box every night and MacArthur in a related deal who they would've just let walk anyways this offseason.

It was worth the risk and it's not like it killed them to make the trade. It didn't work, they admitted it and they walked away.

Dr. Lecter
08-26-2010, 01:03 PM
In theory they could have traded Nate and Clarke for somebody that would have done something.

OpIv37
08-26-2010, 01:04 PM
What exactly was bad about the Torres trade? I mean, besides the obvious that he didn't score any goals and turned into a healthy scratch.

They gave up Paestch in that deal who was doing nothing but eating nachos in the press box every night and MacArthur in a related deal who they would've just let walk anyways this offseason.

It was worth the risk and it's not like it killed them to make the trade. It didn't work, they admitted it and they walked away.

maybe I'm an idealist, but a trade that DID work would have been nice. It's a fair argument to say we didn't give up anything of value so it was low-risk, but the end result is that the FO once again failed to upgrade the team at the deadline and we paid for it with an embarrassing first-round playoff elimination.

OpIv37
08-26-2010, 01:06 PM
In theory they could have traded Nate and Clarke for somebody that would have done something.

in theory, they could have considered trading someone other than Nate and Clarke. Seems to me that when the season ended, Tallinder and Lydman both walked for nothing and got decent contracts...

Dr. Lecter
08-26-2010, 01:09 PM
in theory, they could have considered trading someone other than Nate and Clarke. Seems to me that when the season ended, Tallinder and Lydman both walked for nothing and got decent contracts...

Meh. That is tough to do though. A team leading the NE should not be sellers.

In this day and age in the NHL all teams are going to lose players. If you go that route, they got Leopold and Morrissonn for nothing.

I don't think fan reaction would have been too great if Gragani and Weber were playing defense in March and April

rbochan
08-26-2010, 01:11 PM
The last decent pickup at the deadline was Zubrus.

OpIv37
08-26-2010, 01:27 PM
Meh. That is tough to do though. A team leading the NE should not be sellers.

In this day and age in the NHL all teams are going to lose players. If you go that route, they got Leopold and Morrissonn for nothing.

I don't think fan reaction would have been too great if Gragani and Weber were playing defense in March and April

I'm not saying fire sale, but maybe we could have packaged Paetsch or MacArthur with Lydman and got something of value in return....

This team doesn't have the desire or the balls to make big moves, and I get frustrated with the way this team maintains the status quo. But I'd have some respect for them if they'd just come out and say "we think we can win with what we have" (especially if they actually DID it). Instead, they toe the line by making token trades to appease the fans and local sports media without actually making the team better. Do it right or don't do it at all.

OpIv37
08-26-2010, 01:29 PM
The last decent pickup at the deadline was Zubrus.

Yeah I still don't understand why they let him walk after the season. He wasn't great, but at least he was tough and fairly cheap. It's not like we really had anyone better.

RockStar36
08-26-2010, 02:03 PM
My point was that at the time, Torres was a definite upgrade over Mac and Nate. Torres at that point was the team's leading goal scorer. You can't really fault Darcy because Raffi didn't score goals. Darcy did actually acquire a player to make the team better. And in the end, it didn't cost them anything, so no big deal.

In my mind Tallinder and Lydman were replaced in the offseason with people who are younger and just as good. Just my opinion though.

SkateZilla
08-26-2010, 04:52 PM

Think *NSYNC on ICE.

Philagape
08-26-2010, 07:00 PM
poll question: was the torres trade worse than the corkum trade?

Don't forget Dominic Moore