PDA

View Full Version : Colt McCoy could get cut...

sauce
08-25-2010, 01:11 PM
LOL to whoever thought he would be a competent NFL QB, and wanted him in a Bills uniform,... Was telling people was watching the draft with this was a horrible pick the minute it was made

One of the big four college star quarterbacks drafted into the NFL in 2010 may not survive into the regular season. While Sam Bradford(notes) (Rams), Tim Tebow(notes) (Broncos) and Jimmy Clausen(notes) (Panthers) are assured of making their teams, former University of Texas standout Colt McCoy(notes) might need to prove himself in the Browns’ final two preseason games to make their roster.

According to the Cleveland Plain Dealer, McCoy, a third-round pick in April, is among one of eight players “on the bubble” for Eric Mangini’s team. That includes fellow QB Brett Ratliff(notes), and two young running backs, James Davis and Chris Jennings(notes).

So far, the Browns coaching staff has been impressed with the top two quarterbacks on the depth chart, veteran newcomers Jake Delhomme(notes) and Seneca Wallace(notes). Delhomme has looked outstanding over two preseason games, completing 18 of 23 pass attempts for 193 yards and a touchdown. Signed to be the No. 2, Wallace brings experience and, at this point, a superior athletic skill set compared with McCoy. Wallace also served as the backup QB for the Seahawks when Browns president Mike Holmgren coached Seattle.

McCoy has been limited by a sprained thumb in his his right hand, which he sustained in Cleveland’s preseason opener at Green Bay. He struggled mightily against the Packers’ defense, throwing two interceptions and gaining only 25 yards in 10 attempts. He went for 0-2 in Week 2 with limited action against St. Louis.

The Browns play at Detroit in Week 3 of the preseason on Saturday, and finish up the exhibition schedule next Thursday at home against the Bears.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_yl...lug=tsn-166265

justasportsfan
08-25-2010, 01:21 PM
good for the bills. They can put him on practice squad and we can snag him :ill:

OpIv37
08-25-2010, 01:23 PM
Glad we didn't use a draft pick on him, but if he gets cut and we can grab him for nothing, it's absolutely worth a shot.

EricStratton
08-25-2010, 01:26 PM
I'd imagine the Browns would IR him with a bad thumb before they would admit a mistake and cut him.

Mahdi
08-25-2010, 01:27 PM
He is dealing with an injury and he may not be a fit in that offense. Gailey can make good use of a mobile QB.

But we will already have 3 QBs anyways so we won't be able to take him.

OpIv37
08-25-2010, 01:32 PM
I'd imagine the Browns would IR him with a bad thumb before they would admit a mistake and cut him.

Admitting mistakes may not be a bad thing. We're still living with mistakes from 4 and 5 years ago because the FO won't admit it and move on (*cough- McCARGO- *cough). I don't really follow the Browns, but I'd imagine a team as bad as they are is in the same situation.

Dr. Lecter
08-25-2010, 01:36 PM
He is dealing with an injury and he may not be a fit in that offense. Gailey can make good use of a mobile QB.

But we will already have 3 QBs anyways so we won't be able to take him.

I question whether or not the Bills have 3 QBs.

Regardless, this article is speculation from a beat reporter. It could happen, but it is unlikely.

psubills62
08-25-2010, 01:39 PM
I question whether or not the Bills have 3 QBs.

Regardless, this article is speculation from a beat reporter. It could happen, but it is unlikely.

Yes we do - Jackson, Spiller, and Parrish. Two of the three have been officially designated 3rd QB before and the other threw 2 TD passes in college.

stuckincincy
08-25-2010, 01:48 PM

Too soon to call him a mistake (I haven't seen any of his preseason performance), but yes, the IR is a good parking place.

trapezeus
08-25-2010, 01:52 PM
this could have been a classic russ brandon draft.

Russ: we need a QB in round 1 to make the fans happy.
Football people: if they don't take the BPA at 9, these are the dumbest people ever.
Russ: guys, its between clausen and mccoy.
Ralph: Pudding? Is there pudding available?
Russ: i think colt Mccoy sounds like a football name.
dick jauron : (repetitively) Colt Mc coy, Colt Mccoy, Clausen...CLAAAAAW sen. Yeah, i like Mccoy. i like how to moves off the tonguy. (starts to clap)
Russ: that does it.
Modrak: (half asleep) did you guys read any of my reports that i put together. DOn't touch these guys. take spiller. next thurman.
russ: (Blank faced)
Jauron: Spiller. Spiller. hmmm, i don't like that so much. (starts clapping)
Russ: i'm the GM and president and marketing guru. Mccoy.

3 years later fans commit mass suicide in the parking lot of the ralph.

T-Long
08-25-2010, 02:10 PM
this could have been a classic russ brandon draft.

Russ: we need a QB in round 1 to make the fans happy.
Football people: if they don't take the BPA at 9, these are the dumbest people ever.
Russ: guys, its between clausen and mccoy.
Ralph: Pudding? Is there pudding available?
Russ: i think colt Mccoy sounds like a football name.
dick jauron : (repetitively) Colt Mc coy, Colt Mccoy, Clausen...CLAAAAAW sen. Yeah, i like Mccoy. i like how to moves off the tonguy. (starts to clap)
Russ: that does it.
Modrak: (half asleep) did you guys read any of my reports that i put together. DOn't touch these guys. take spiller. next thurman.
russ: (Blank faced)
Jauron: Spiller. Spiller. hmmm, i don't like that so much. (starts clapping)
Russ: i'm the GM and president and marketing guru. Mccoy.

3 years later fans commit mass suicide in the parking lot of the ralph.

The "starts to clap" quote damn near made me fall outta my chair! Good stuff

jamze132
08-25-2010, 02:20 PM
Told you guys McCoy had small hands...

Scumbag College
08-25-2010, 02:21 PM
Bring him in!

don137
08-25-2010, 02:27 PM
For what is worth I heard that Claussen has been sitting out of practice since the game against the Jets due to a toe injury. If you recall he tore two toe ligaments in his big toe last year and had the injury all season. Sounds like it is still bothering him.

ZAZusmc03
08-25-2010, 02:31 PM
For what is worth I heard that Claussen has been sitting out of practice since the game against the Jets due to a toe injury. If you recall he tore two toe ligaments in his big toe last year and had the injury all season. Sounds like it is still bothering him.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/08/24/clausen-says-toe-pain-may-last-all-season/

"I still don't feel 100 percent right now," Clausen said via Steve Reed of CarolinaGrowl.com. "The doctor said it's probably going to be until after the season until I feel 100 percent. I'm going to have to play through some aches and pains until the season is over. That's just the nature of football."

DraftBoy
08-25-2010, 02:37 PM
I am very confident in saying he not become available as already pointed out, he will be IR'd rather than cut if it comes down to it. But its not like Cleveland has many capable QB's to unseat him in reality either.

stuckincincy
08-25-2010, 02:53 PM

They also called QB Tony Pike's number later in the draft. I give CAR credit for perceiving a problem and then rolling the dice in an attempt to solve it.

Night Train
08-25-2010, 03:00 PM
Impossible.

People here " heard of him " before the draft, making him great and the Bills dumb for not selecting him.

justasportsfan
08-25-2010, 03:04 PM
other than Bradford, looks like Levi is ahead of both Claussen and Mccoy :D

tampabay25690
08-25-2010, 03:15 PM
good for the bills. They can put him on practice squad and we can snag him :ill:

WHY would we snag him??????
The reason everybody wanted him because he was a big name QB in college with NO ARM....

trapezeus
08-25-2010, 03:25 PM
The reason everybody wanted him because he was a big name QB in college with NO ARM....

and more importantly a loser when playing big games. sure he could beat up on the cupcakes, but in big games he lost more than he won.

Jeff1220
08-25-2010, 03:36 PM

I think that was some Brohm-inspired sarcasm.

YardRat
08-25-2010, 04:52 PM
He'll go on IR. He's a pussy anyway, IMO.

tampabay25690
08-25-2010, 06:08 PM
I think that was some Brohm-inspired sarcasm.

Not at all actually not being sarcastic..

It's just funny on here that some of the followers on this site NO absolutely nothing about College football but watch ESPN.......

McCoy was a great athlete at TEXAS but small and no arm.....Played in the BIG 12 No defense conference.....
Just sayin...

Jan Reimers
08-25-2010, 06:21 PM
Not at all actually not being sarcastic..

It's just funny on here that some of the followers on this site NO absolutely nothing about College football but watch ESPN.......

McCoy was a great athlete at TEXAS but small and no arm.....Played in the BIG 12 No defense conference.....
Just sayin...
KNOW.

tampabay25690
08-25-2010, 06:28 PM
KNOW.

know?

Jan Reimers
08-25-2010, 06:34 PM
You used "NO" incorrectly.

tampabay25690
08-25-2010, 06:39 PM
You used "NO" incorrectly.

sorry boss..
never was an english major...

justasportsfan
08-25-2010, 09:01 PM

sarcasm.

It's starting to look like the bills were right in thinking that neither Mccoy nor Claussen would come in and be better right away than any of the qb's we already have. It's looking like they're no different from Levi Brown . Project qb's. Difference is we didn't have to spend a 3rd rd. on either and the one we got has a better arm.

Mr. Pink
08-25-2010, 09:07 PM
Personally I don't see Brett Ratliff making the team ahead of Colt. I saw this story was started originally by Tony Grossi. Grossi is a hack.

The Browns drafted McCoy knowing he was a developmental project, cutting him after 3 quarters of preseason snaps seems a little outrageous.

DraftBoy
08-25-2010, 09:09 PM
Personally I don't see Brett Ratliff making the team ahead of Colt. I saw this story was started originally by Tony Grossi. Grossi is a hack.

The Browns drafted McCoy knowing he was a developmental project, cutting him after 3 quarters of preseason snaps seems a little outrageous.

Only reason Ratliff is even in the NFL is one good preseason with the Jets and Mangina's hard on for the kid.

Ebenezer
08-25-2010, 09:51 PM
This is an old Parcells trick...didn't he want to cut Meggett as a rookie? McCoy is going nowhere.

Bill Cody
08-26-2010, 10:08 AM
sarcasm.

It's starting to look like the bills were right in thinking that neither Mccoy nor Claussen would come in and be better right away than any of the qb's we already have. It's looking like they're no different from Levi Brown . Project qb's. Difference is we didn't have to spend a 3rd rd. on either and the one we got has a better arm.

I'll be surprised if Clausen does not see significant action this year. I did not want him because I don't think he's all that bright but he's certainly not a "project", what he is is a rookie. That kid has had great coaching and played against top competition in a pro style offense, not exactly the case with Brown.

McCoy? I laugh at the garbage being thrown around in this thread. Ok, Colt doesn't have a great arm (neither does Delhomme by the way). But mostly he's a rookie QB in his first camp, not sure why anyone is surprised when ANY rookie QB scuffles some. He ain't getting cut but if he does I'd be happy to take him here.

justasportsfan
08-26-2010, 10:12 AM
I'll be surprised if Clausen does not see significant action this year. I did not want him because I don't think he's all that bright but he's certainly not a "project", what he is is a rookie. That kid has had great coaching and played against top competition in a pro style offense, not exactly the case with Brown.

people who aren't viewed as projects are usually drafted in the 1st rd. 32 teams passed on him. He isn't starting because there are things he needs to improve on before being ready. That means project to me. Clasen may be less of a project than Brown but still a project.

Johnny Bugmenot
08-26-2010, 10:13 AM
That would be a move with the level of stupidity on par with the Packers cutting Brian Brohm after one season.

trapezeus
08-26-2010, 10:34 AM
mccoy seems to lack something that translate to the NFL. Whether its his less than amazing arm, his inability to win big games, his small hands, there is soemthing that made him grade down to the 3rd round.

I'm of the opinion that he wasn't the right guy for the bills in any round.

Clausen seems to still have an injury that is affecting his play. it's supposedly going to be an issue for him throughout the year. He has literally said as much. had the bills taken this guy and made him play through the pain, they may have hurt his long term chance of playing well. afterall, we know that the bills can't pass protect very well.

I think clausen is the better of the two, but that he wouldn't have necessarily translated well on the bills roster.

Bill Cody
08-26-2010, 11:05 AM
people who aren't viewed as projects are usually drafted in the 1st rd. 32 teams passed on him. He isn't starting because there are things he needs to improve on before being ready. That means project to me. Clasen may be less of a project than Brown but still a project.

That's your take but I think the issue with Clausen was more "what's his upside?" "Does he have the right attitude?" If you draft a QB in the first round you need to be pretty sure about basic questions like that.

Bill Cody
08-26-2010, 11:15 AM
mccoy seems to lack something that translate to the NFL. Whether its his less than amazing arm, his inability to win big games, his small hands, there is soemthing that made him grade down to the 3rd round.

I'm of the opinion that he wasn't the right guy for the bills in any round.

Clausen seems to still have an injury that is affecting his play. it's supposedly going to be an issue for him throughout the year. He has literally said as much. had the bills taken this guy and made him play through the pain, they may have hurt his long term chance of playing well. afterall, we know that the bills can't pass protect very well.

I think clausen is the better of the two, but that he wouldn't have necessarily translated well on the bills roster.

I love the "can't win big games" knock. When you've won more games than any QB in NCAA history you've won some big games. By that standard Jim Kelly would not be a good fit on the Bills. Lose 4 SB's? Cut him.

We will see on Colt. I watch a lot of college football and IMO he has something. Fans and even scouts get obsessed with measurables. We live in a "combine world" filled with guys that can run like deer and do the bench press but have no feel for the game. That's how guys like Demarcus Russell and JP Losman get drafted in the first round. Dumb as a bag full of rocks, poor attitudes but did you see that beautiful spiral? If you start peeling back the onion a kid like Colt looks pretty good- leadership, brains, ability to make plays, those are pretty important, maybe even as important as having tennis racket sized hands.

DraftBoy
08-26-2010, 11:24 AM
I love the "can't win big games" knock. When you've won more games than any QB in NCAA history you've won some big games. By that standard Jim Kelly would not be a good fit on the Bills. Lose 4 SB's? Cut him.

We will see on Colt. I watch a lot of college football and IMO he has something. Fans and even scouts get obsessed with measurables. We live in a "combine world" filled with guys that can run like deer and do the bench press but have no feel for the game. That's how guys like Demarcus Russell and JP Losman get drafted in the first round. Dumb as a bag full of rocks, poor attitudes but did you see that beautiful spiral? If you start peeling back the onion a kid like Colt looks pretty good- leadership, brains, ability to make plays, those are pretty important, maybe even as important as having tennis racket sized hands.

You're glossing heavily over a few thingsthough, this isn't CFB, he doesnt play in the spread, and he doesnt have the physical skills at this point and I dont mean measureables.

He's Tebow without the physical skills. Bad mechanics, slower delivery, played in a gimmick offense, but a great guy and a great leader, and Im willing to bet he'll be a great coach one day because he understands the game.

What he did at Texas he did because Brown curtailed his system to fit what Colt could do, nobody will do that for him here. Which is why he is struggling so bad now, its a huge adjustment for a player like him to make.

Extremebillsfan247
08-26-2010, 11:32 AM
That Spiller pick is looking better every day. lol

trapezeus
08-26-2010, 11:39 AM

kelly didn't win the big one, but he won 13 games a season consistently during those 4 years. he won big games in the playoffs. he lead come from behind games. he played in games were the defense did absolutely nothing.

Colt Mccoy is a college QB who happily put up guady numbers against teams with the collective talent as a billszone fanzone squad. Then when he played equally as talented teams did nothing and more than often lost those games.

that's the knock.

Bill Cody
08-26-2010, 02:09 PM
kelly didn't win the big one, but he won 13 games a season consistently during those 4 years. he won big games in the playoffs. he lead come from behind games. he played in games were the defense did absolutely nothing.

Colt Mccoy is a college QB who happily put up guady numbers against teams with the collective talent as a billszone fanzone squad. Then when he played equally as talented teams did nothing and more than often lost those games.

that's the knock.

Well he was 3-1 in Bowl games and 45-8 overall, completed over 70% of his passes. Where I come from that ain't bad.

trapezeus
08-26-2010, 02:13 PM
would you take a qb who was awesome in the regular season playing teams from the NFC West and AFC south, only to constantly fail in the first playoff game of the season? I wouldn't want that.

Bill Cody
08-26-2010, 02:21 PM
You're glossing heavily over a few thingsthough, this isn't CFB, he doesnt play in the spread, and he doesnt have the physical skills at this point and I dont mean measureables.

He's Tebow without the physical skills. Bad mechanics, slower delivery, played in a gimmick offense, but a great guy and a great leader, and Im willing to bet he'll be a great coach one day because he understands the game.

What he did at Texas he did because Brown curtailed his system to fit what Colt could do, nobody will do that for him here. Which is why he is struggling so bad now, its a huge adjustment for a player like him to make.

There are some question marks about Colt, no doubt about it. He's a bit of a project. But then again so is Tim Tebow, who although has ideal size has far worse throwing mechanics than Colt, much longer motion. I look at Colt and I see Doug Flutie, a guy who makes plays and knows how to win games. Hopefully the thumb injury won't keep Colt from getting some more snaps in preseason. It really doesn't matter to us anyway I don't see him getting cut.

Bill Cody
08-26-2010, 02:22 PM
would you take a qb who was awesome in the regular season playing teams from the NFC West and AFC south, only to constantly fail in the first playoff game of the season? I wouldn't want that.

they only play 1 bowl game a year and he was 3-1. I'm missing your point.

Mr. Pink
09-02-2010, 11:14 PM
Just an FYI...

McCoy went 13 of 13 for 131 yards tonight.

He's not getting cut.