• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Philagape
    WIN NOW
    • Jul 2002

Goodell eyes 2012 for 18-game season

NFL moving forward with 18-game season
    ATLANTA (AP) - NFL owners have shown widespread support for going to an 18-game schedule but want to implement the change as part of a new labor agreement.
    Commissioner Roger Goodell says owners see two more regular-season games - and two fewer preseason games - as the most logical way to enhance revenues in a difficult economic environment. He says it will be one of the main issues in talks on reaching a new collective bargaining agreement.
    Goodell says the league is targeting 2012 for the 18-game season.
    "It is better to be divided by truth than to be united by error." -- Martin Luther

"Those who appease the crocodile will simply be eaten last." -- Winston Churchill

2003 BZ Pick Em Champion
    2004 BZ Big Money League Champion
  • Prov401
    President of WADL (Whitner Anti-Defamation League)
    • Aug 2008

An 18 Game schedule possible in 2012

Are you in favor of another 2 regular season games? I'm not, for the simple fact that it will mess with the history of all single season and career records. If something should be done with the schedules, it should be elimnating 2 pre-season games.

Thoughts?

NFL owners have shown widespread support for going to an 18-game schedule but want to implement the change as part of a new labor agreement.

Comment

• snow1989
      • Sep 2003

Re: An 18 Game schedule possible in 2012

I'm not in favor of increasing the season. Purely a money grab in my opinion and the players are already banged up by then. Also some of the division races could be lopsided with some later games between teams being more pointless than they are now. I'd drop 2 preseason games but allow the teams to scrimmage against 3 other teams if so desired. So buffalo could scrimmage cleveland, either one of the NY teams and maybe say pittsburgh for 2 days. If they want to charge a bit extra to see the scrimmages, then so be it.
      I've upped my standards...now up yours

Comment

• better days
        • Jan 2010

Originally posted by TE2Hard-E81
        Are you in favor of another 2 regular season games? I'm not, for the simple fact that it will mess with the history of all single season and career records. If something should be done with the schedules, it should be elimnating 2 pre-season games.

Thoughts?

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5497448
        My thoughts are there used to be only 12 games played in a season. going from 16 to 18 won't mess with history anymore than going from 12 games to 14 games which the NFL did, or from 14 to 16 games which is where we are today.

Comment

• PromoTheRobot
          • Sep 2003

They will have to have two bye weeks, and allow teams to carry larger rosters. If all they want is more games to show, it might be better to add playoff teams. Qualify 8 teams instead of 6.

PTR
          10 Commandments of the D
          1. Never stop Rocking.
          2. Legalize all drugs.
          3. Quit your day job.
          4. All Religion should be taxed.
          5. Cut down on carbohydrates.
          6. F**k her gently.
          7. Never believe what people tell you after a show.
          8. Always take a spoon full of Metamucil after a heavy day of eating.
          9. Get at least 9 hours of sleep a day.
          10. Eatin' ain't cheatin'.

Comment

• Luisito23
            Men Have Superbowl Gold, Legends Have Platinum Hearts!!!
            • Apr 2003

Yeah, I agree with Robot. Glad to have 18 games, but I wish they added 2 more playoff teams.)
            "Expect rejection, but expect more to overcome it."
            ***Marv Levy.***

"Coach Levy is one of the most inspirational people that I have ever known."
            ***Thurman Thomas.***

"You're not going to find a more classier, down-to-Earth person away from the field than Marv Levy. He's a guy who's pretty much made me what I am today as far as a professional player and a person."
            ***Jim Kelly***

Marv Levy's Website

Comment

• PromoTheRobot
              • Sep 2003

Here is my brilliant compromise that will lengthen the NFL season but actually make players play two less games than they do now. I said it was brilliant.

1) Reduce the pre-season to 2 games and maybe a scrimmage.
              2) Add a second bye week.
              3) Add Tuesday and/or Wednesday night games.
              4) Have teams coming off a bye play those games.
              5) Add 1 more playoff team per conference, from 6 to 7.
              6) Add an extra week to the playoffs by having the 6th and 7th seed play a play-in game to the wild card round.

The result: Regular season is 18 weeks, playoffs are 6 weeks, pre-season is two weeks. More games for TV. Two new nights of NFL football. An extra week to the most exciting part of the season: the playoffs. Players actually play fewer games instead of more, but season is longer. Win win win!

PTR
              Last edited by PromoTheRobot; 08-26-2010, 12:54 AM.
              10 Commandments of the D
              1. Never stop Rocking.
              2. Legalize all drugs.
              3. Quit your day job.
              4. All Religion should be taxed.
              5. Cut down on carbohydrates.
              6. F**k her gently.
              7. Never believe what people tell you after a show.
              8. Always take a spoon full of Metamucil after a heavy day of eating.
              9. Get at least 9 hours of sleep a day.
              10. Eatin' ain't cheatin'.

Comment

• Jan Reimers
                Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
                • May 2003

When I first started watching, there was a 12 game schedule, then it went to 14, and eventually to 16. I would prefer 18 real games and the elimination of 2 of the meaningless preseason games.

Season ticket holders, who have to buy the preseason games at full price, should be very happy.
                Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• SABURZFAN
                  short bus extraordinaire
                  • Jul 2002

will this nullify NFL contracts once they go to 18 games? i'm not sure if the NFL Players Union can do that. anybody???
                  Originally posted by yordad
                  Christ, you are the queerest person in the history of Bills fanhood. I swear to god I would stomp you.

Comment

• Night Train
                    Retired - On Several Levels
                    • Jul 2005

Like Jan said, they're used to be 12 games, then 14, then 16. Look at all the injuries now.

Cut out 2 pre-season games but leave it at 16.
                    Last edited by Night Train; 08-26-2010, 03:12 AM.
                    Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• don137
                      • Jul 2002

I am sure it is very tough on the players to do 18 games. One the surface it sounds great and I would love to see more games but I wonder if the quality of the play would be affected due to injuries and players not getting up mentally for every game. Players already are whining about the playing 18 games. If you recall when the NHL had a strike shorten season the play was great every night. With a long season like the NHL you see players take nights off. I could see that with the NFL expanding the season.

I am all for removing 2 preseason games. Do scrimagges/practices with other teams like the Bills use to do with the Cleveland Browns. Its a good way to evaluate players.

I know its more about revenue so I doubt they would keep 16 games and eliminate 2 preseason games with more scrimagges which is my choice based on quality of play but if given the option of 16 games and 4 preseason games or 18 games and 2 preseason games I would choose 18 games.
                      Last edited by don137; 08-26-2010, 07:01 AM.

Comment

• casdhf
                        • Jul 2002

I agree with Don. The Super Bowl would be played with all 3rd stringers.
                        Originally posted by BillsZone Mod
                        cas,

I'm just letting you know that you have been given 2 points for telling Wys AKA Mark to kill himself.

BillsZone Mod

Comment

• psubills62
                          Legendary Zoner
                          • Sep 2008

Re: Goodell eyes 2012 for 18-game season

That won't help the CBA negotiations, especially if the owners are looking to do things like split the money more evenly and institute a rookie pay scale.
                          "Misguided political correctness tethers our intellects."
                          - Nicholas Cummings

Comment

• psubills62
                            Legendary Zoner
                            • Sep 2008

I'm a little surprised to hear people want to remove 2 preseason games. Do you honestly think our team is ready to open the season on Saturday/Sunday? Because that's what it would be if we only had 2 preseason games. It's nice to be able to see what our team truly has in terms of starters and reserves. With only 2 preseason games, how easy is it to judge what we have?

A longer preseason also allows some players more time to recover from injury.

Would I mind watching more football? No. But in the end I think things work just fine as is. And being a Bills fan, I think it's safe to say that we need all the preparation in the preseason that we can get.
                            - Nicholas Cummings

Comment

• psubills62
                              Legendary Zoner
                              • Sep 2008

Originally posted by SABURZFAN
                              will this nullify NFL contracts once they go to 18 games? i'm not sure if the NFL Players Union can do that. anybody???
                              That's probably something they'll have to work out. They may just decide to give the players 2 extra game checks based on their current per-game salary.

But at the same time, it reduces the owners' leverage on other topics in the CBA, such as rookie pay scale.
                              - Nicholas Cummings

Comment

Working...
                              X