• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • northernbillfan
    Hello, I'm Mike and I'm a Bills fan.

Administrator Emeritus
    • Jul 2002

Franchise value drops

The Bills, along with every other team in the league, saw their values drop last year. Buffalo sits in the bottom five, worth about $799 million. The Jags are the leagues lowest team in terms of value at $725 million.

This raises three questions:

1: How does this affect the value of keeping the team in Buffalo?

2: Does this mean the Wilson family may be able to afford the stupid inheritance tax if Ralphy kicks it soon?

3: Now that they are under 1 billion, can someone inthe community step up to finance the team if the family decides to sell in the event of Ralph's death?

Source
    When I die, please don't let my wife sell my camera equipment for what I told her I paid for it.

• OpIv37
    Acid Douching Asswipe
    • Sep 2002

Re: Franchise value drops

I think last year they were valued at $850 million. The drop really isn't enough to change anything as far as the long-term viability of the team is concerned.
    MiKiDo Facebook
    MiKiDo Website

Comment

• northernbillfan

Administrator Emeritus
      • Jul 2002

Originally posted by OpIv37
      I think last year they were valued at $850 million. The drop really isn't enough to change anything as far as the long-term viability of the team is concerned.
      Last year's value was $910 million.
      When I die, please don't let my wife sell my camera equipment for what I told her I paid for it.

Comment

• trapezeus
        Legendary Zoner
        • Oct 2004

Originally posted by northernbillfan

This raises three questions:

1: How does this affect the value of keeping the team in Buffalo?

2: Does this mean the Wilson family may be able to afford the stupid inheritance tax if Ralphy kicks it soon?

3: Now that they are under 1 billion, can someone inthe community step up to finance the team if the family decides to sell in the event of Ralph's death?

Source
        1. Perhaps it's easier to get the phantom Jim Kelly group to pony up $790MM than $910MM.

2. Nope, because if ralph doesn't kick it by December 31, 2010 at 11:59pm, the wilson estate will owe 50% of $910MM or $790MM, whatever the value is to the federal government. I doubt the family has 50% of that value in cash to make the payment. Therefore, they'll need to sell. And if they sell, they'll go to the highest bidder so that after tax they have the most left over.

3. i think this question is similar to 1. It will be easier for cash intensive investors. if the group of buyers have cash to buy it, then its great that the price falls. but if they need financing to a large degree, it doesnt' make much of a difference.

The biggest thing that would help keep the bills in buffalo is if ralph dies this year. it's a sad but true fact. and then there are all sorts of annoying political questions of why estates are allowed to get around this tax when historically it's always been at least 50%. But that debate would better be discussed in the spin zone.
        Last edited by trapezeus; 08-26-2010, 09:53 AM.

Comment

• OpIv37
          Acid Douching Asswipe
          • Sep 2002

oh wow, that's a bigger drop than I thought.

Still, the taxes on $799 million are still in the $350 million range and the Wilson family can't afford it. Even if they could, I really think they just don't care enough to run the team.
          MiKiDo Facebook
          MiKiDo Website

Comment

• Aero II
            RWS Grounds Keeper. Why won't my grass grow?
            • Jul 2002

If ther Bills are 5th lowest, I think there are 4 other teams more likely to move.

Comment

• OpIv37
              Acid Douching Asswipe
              • Sep 2002

Originally posted by Aero II
              If ther Bills are 5th lowest, I think there are 4 other teams more likely to move.
              It's a good thought but the reality is a lot more complex. For example, Jacksonville has this insane stadium lease agreement that would cost about $50 million to break, which means it would be cheaper to buy and move 4 to 5 other teams (including Buffalo), even though the Jaguars would cost less to buy.
              MiKiDo Facebook
              MiKiDo Website

Comment

• BidsJr
                • Sep 2002

Originally posted by trapezeus
                then there are all sorts of annoying political questions of why estates are allowed to get around this tax when historically it's always been at least 50%. But that debate would better be discussed in the spin zone.

Don't you mean why the government gets to tax the family business again for something it has worked for? Not to mention the dollars they have confiscated in profits to Ralph, payouts to the players and taxes on consessions for the last 50+ years?

Sorry but that line of thinking is exactly why we will be SUPER lucky if the Bills end up staying in the State of New York after Ralph passes on.
                "Well I drink too much and get punched in the head by fighters for fun, so my memory isn't so great." -OpIv37

Comment

• DraftBoy
                  Administrator
                  • Jul 2002

Unless the inheritance tax goes away no value drop is going to be deemed enough to warrant the Wilson family to keep the Bills or ensure they are in Buffalo long term.
                  COMING SOON...
                  Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
                  We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• Bufftp
                    Hi Dave!

Administrator Emeritus
                    • Jul 2002

Originally posted by trapezeus

The biggest thing that would help keep the bills in buffalo is if ralph dies this year. it's a sad but true fact. and then there are all sorts of annoying political questions of why estates are allowed to get around this tax when historically it's always been at least 50%. But that debate would better be discussed in the spin zone.
                    Uh oh some loco is gonna start a billboard....
                    Photobucket

In the end, there are only three liberal archetypes: The fools, the beneficiaries and the crooks.
                    "If you build a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day, but if you set a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life"
                    Optyimus Ignorus Realityious!

"Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe, to assure the survival and the success of liberty.
                    - John F. Kennedy, January 20, 1961

To live in the presence of great truths and eternal laws,
                    to be led by permanent ideals -
                    that is what keeps a man patient
                    when the world ignores him,
                    and calm and unspoiled when the world praises him. -- Honore De Balzac

Comment

• Dr. Lecter
                      Zero for Zero!
                      • Mar 2003

There is no inheritance tax if he leaves the team to his wife.
                      Originally posted by mysticsoto
                      Lecter is right in everything he said.

Comment

• DraftBoy
                        Administrator
                        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Dr. Lecter
                        Interesting, how old is she and is she in good health?
                        COMING SOON...
                        Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
                        We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• Dr. Lecter
                          Zero for Zero!
                          • Mar 2003

She is ~70. Plays tennis on a competitive level.

Ralph dies, she inherits the team. She then marries me in the next 5 years. When she passes, I get the team.

Boom! Problem solved!

Comment

• northernbillfan

Administrator Emeritus
                            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Dr. Lecter
                            I did not know that little tidbit.

Comment

• Dr. Lecter
                              Zero for Zero!
                              • Mar 2003

I am pretty sure on that. I have been told that before.

Comment

Working...
                              X