PDA

View Full Version : So what kind of a coach is Gailey?

ghz in pittsburgh
08-26-2010, 11:20 AM
Well I guess we'll what kind of a coach are others that we know pretty well about.

Marv Levy - not so much into X and O's of either offense and defense. But overall is an ambassador kind of figure. Very good people skills and get the message across.

Wade Philips - a traditional Defensive minded guy - play tough defense and run the ball. But I don't think he's very detailed in all aspects, and frankly, not interested in some area, like the special teams.

Gregg Williams - represented a new wave of upcomers for awhile and carried a big persona of my way and my way only. Detail oriented but very poor people skills. Clearly overwhelmed when "my way" didn't work the first time around. Hasn't got a 2nd gig says something about him.

Mike Mularkey - another one of those new wave upcomers from the offensive side, but clearly is over his head when he found out being a head coach is not just about Xs and Os. The fact he had so many former HC in his staff said about his lack of confidence in handling the job. The handling of Lebeau shows a weak personality ill suited for the job: he believed in Lebeau yet didn't want to get rid Gray because the defense was fine then.

Dick Jauron - in the NFL circle, Jauron is well known for breaking down the film and preparations. NFL GMs are not a dumb bunch and Jauron often came across as thorough and well prepared (both Donahoe and Marv were wowed by him, as a few others in the league). But this is a stressfull job especially on game day; you can be fiery and fire up your troups to overcome unexpected adversity or you can by cool, wily and come up with a quick counter strategy. Sadly he has neither quality.

Bill Cowher - the man is not a strategist, but has an eye to identify who is. Carries the basic play tough and run the ball defensive coach's mentality. He needs to get the right coordinators to succeed.

Gailey? I'm not surprised at his "tough game for tough people" talk. All coaches from Cowher's coaching tree takes the tough mentality from Bill. I know he can handle offense; I'm not so sure about defense and the ST under him. His people skills? so far so good but yet has a major crisis to deal with.

justasportsfan
08-26-2010, 11:28 AM
Dick Jauron - in the NFL circle, Jauron is well known for breaking down the film and preparations.

So why would the team practice vs. the 4-3 when he was playing a 3-4 team on sunday? Couldn't he tell on film that the AFCE plays the 3-4?

All he did was prepare for the qb to get killed.

NFL GMs are not a dumb bunch and Jauron often came across as thorough and well prepared (both Donahoe and Marv were wowed by him, as a few others in the league). .

Donahoe? WHat does he have to do with Dick? :idunno:

Unfortunately, the teams Dick played weren't wowed by him. As a matter of fact they laughed at us. Ask Pitts when we were running around like chickens with their heads cut off trying to run the NO huddle.

The only thing that Dick was good at was preparing us to do the wrong things on gameday.

ghz in pittsburgh
08-26-2010, 01:28 PM
Donahoe? WHat does he have to do with Dick? :idunno:

Jauron was one of the two finalist before Donahoe decided to go with Mularkey.

mikemac2001
08-26-2010, 01:43 PM
Football Coach?