PDA

View Full Version : Moulds>Evans

BuffaloBlitz83
08-26-2010, 01:12 PM
Even with ****ty QB's his entire career Moulds was consistantly better, 6 seasons with 900 or more yards. Evans has only done it 2 times.

mightysimi
08-26-2010, 01:14 PM
Even with ****ty QB's his entire career Moulds was consistantly better, 6 seasons with 900 or more yards. Evans has only done it 2 times.

I didn't realize that Evans retired. Is it possible he has a few more in the tank?

OpIv37
08-26-2010, 01:17 PM
....says the guy with "83" in his username.

Who said Evans was better? I think pretty much everyone agrees that Moulds is the 2nd best WR this team has ever had, behind Reed.

trapezeus
08-26-2010, 01:19 PM
i'll say the unpopular comment that i'm been saying for a while and get flamed for it, but Evans isn't a real number 1. other number 1's with crappy qb's still are playmakers. they still run routes across the middle. they still have good days.

steve smith is a classic example. delhomme played worse than the bills qb's for parts of the season, yet smith had more catches, more yards per catch and was constantly a threat.

it's so easy for teams to defend evans out of the equation. Evans is a fantastic number 2, if we only had a number 1.

justasportsfan
08-26-2010, 01:30 PM
Moulds may have had crappy qb's but his qb's for the most part were willing to throw him the ball. HIs qb's new he was a big physical wr who would win most of his battles, thats why Drew and Flutie never hesitated to throw to him and let him make a play.

If Evans had Drew , his nos. would have been better. Unfortunately Flutie doesn't have the arm to go deep but I'm sure he would have thrown to Lee in medium range.

Lee is a different type of a wr. He stretches the field which is why JP went deep with him. When teams realized that, they took that away and the qb's had no other option .

The comes in Trent who was as hesistant as Rob Johnson.

Lee has been getting a lot of catches at camp with a more confident Trent. If Trent was like that last year, Lee's nos. would have been better.

Trent in the past WAITS for his wr's to get open. You can't do that with Lee. With Lee you throw the ball down the field and make him get it. Thats what Trent did in his td vs. Cotls. He should do that more often.

Get Lee a ginslinger and he'll have consecutive 1000 yard season. Peyton would have loved Lee when Trent was loving Reed. Get him a dink and dunk qb, Lee suffers.

Crisis
08-26-2010, 01:33 PM
i haven't seen anyone say evans is better than moulds..

ddaryl
08-26-2010, 01:53 PM
We all know Moulds was better, and that Evans is a better compliment to a WR like Moulds on any team to be truly effective

BuffaloBlitz83
08-26-2010, 02:04 PM
I was just saying it. I like Evans, just somewhat dissappointed in his career.

OpIv37
08-26-2010, 02:09 PM
Get Lee a ginslinger and he'll have consecutive 1000 yard season.

a ginslinger? I'm sure there are plenty in Buffalo but not many who can help the team. Joe Namath is too old to play football these days and Thurman is off the sauce.

trapezeus
08-26-2010, 02:10 PM
moulds body type befits a more versatile wr than evans who is thinner. moulds could literally do whatever you asked of him (with the exception of holding on to the ball in the miami playoff game).

evans is a one trick pony. he'd have guady numbers on the colts. but he'd also be in a stable of decent receivers.

justasportsfan
08-26-2010, 02:10 PM
I was just saying it. I like Evans, just somewhat dissappointed in his career.

Lee is going through what Moulds went through his entire career except Moulds had better qbs.

Beebe's Kid
08-26-2010, 02:18 PM
Well there doesn't seem to be much of an argument, and what's a thread without, at least a little bit of, an argument?

I will contend that Lee has been misused. Lee may be small in stature, but he is big of heart. I feel comfortable taking the position that if you threw the ball to Lee he would have numbers as good as Moulds, maybe not in receptions, but in yards, due to his ability to get some YAC.

Remember the slant we called last year. You remember it, it was against the Jets. Lee caught the ball and took it to the house. Of course we gained way too many yards on one play to EVER try that again. It certainly didn't fit our conservative style.

Then there is the the highlight from the last few seasons, which would be Lee's one-handed-behind-the-head TD against the Chargers, after the transformers blew up.

I also point to the NE game, in Buffalo, frequently. It was the ONLY game last year where he was the guy. The second half, little Ryan Fitzpatrick decided to give Lee a shot and threw the ball his way. Lee, despite Fitz's errant pass, started going and getting balls. We did this for a little while, then just when it was working all too well, I believe we let Josh Reed play, and he dropped a few. We also had to get TO his obligatory half-assed-effort plays, because he was on such good behavior we had to force several ******ed plays his way every game to ensure that he didn't do his impression of a human powder keg. We keep throwing to Lee, we win. Of course Willfork was out and we ran the ball the length of the field, chewing up the entire first quarter, got bumped back 15 yards on 3 successive false starts and had to settle for the FG, then completely abandoned the run, and went to the WR streak down the sideline show, but I digress.

Either way. I am not flaming you Trap, but I feel Lee is a true #1. What he requires is chances. I am not talking about he has to have 15 yards on a guy like the Colts game last week, I mean throw the ball near him.

Anybody remember the TD against Jacksonville that got called back? The one where Fitzy put everything he had into the ball, and after 30yds of air it was falling short of the DB who was in front of Lee. The mighty heave from Fitz was in the air so long that by the time they went to make the catch they were waiting with the DB between ball and Lee. Lee jumps up and catches the ball around DB's facemask, pulls it over his head, only to have it be nullified by some asinine penalty.

I guess I am not saying Lee is better than Moulds, but he is a damn good receiver, and to look at the back of his football card does him no justice. We have to listen to whining about "no talent" constantly, but Lee has it, and a lot of it. He needs a coach with the ability to grasp how he should be used.

There haven't been a lot of throws his way in preseason, which I would guess will change drastically against the Phish. I think Lee is going to have, far and away, his best year yet. Then we revisit this thread.

Night Train
08-26-2010, 02:39 PM
Moulds had a more productive career but dropped a ton of balls right in his hands, when wide open.

He then would make impossible catches with guys all over him. Always hard to figure him out.

justasportsfan
08-26-2010, 02:52 PM
a ginslinger? I'm sure there are plenty in Buffalo but not many who can help the team. Joe Namath is too old to play football these days and Thurman is off the sauce.

sorry typo error. I meant a rumslinger.

It's also hard to be a true no.1 wr when you have a bunch of no.3 qb's throwing to you.

BillyT92679
08-26-2010, 02:52 PM
Moulds had a more productive career but dropped a ton of balls right in his hands, when wide open.

He then would make impossible catches with guys all over him. Always hard to figure him out.That's one area where Lee is a LOT better... Lee has better hands (and arms, not alligator arms like Moulds had). Eric sometimes played smaller than his stature.

But Eric was a lot more versatile, a much better YAC guy than Lee and really a better overall talent at wideout... Eric was a prototype of Andre Johnson.

DolfanTom
08-26-2010, 02:54 PM
From a Dolfan's perspective, I always feared Moulds more than I do Evans. Evans can be a nice player, but Moulds was a star. Killed us a few times.

Reed was better, but how much? When Reed played, you had a truly dynamic offense that has playmakers everywhere. How good would he have been if he had played when Mould's was the main man? Probably still pretty good - just saying, Reed was but one of what seemed like 15 guys to fear in that offense.

ServoBillieves
08-26-2010, 02:54 PM
93 Bills > 09 Bills.

Next.

justasportsfan
08-26-2010, 02:57 PM
From a Dolfan's perspective, I always feared Moulds more than I do Evans. .

I'm not surprised. Moulds tends to spit at Dolphins players. :drool2:

psubills62
08-26-2010, 02:57 PM
i'll say the unpopular comment that i'm been saying for a while and get flamed for it, but Evans isn't a real number 1. other number 1's with crappy qb's still are playmakers. they still run routes across the middle. they still have good days.

steve smith is a classic example. delhomme played worse than the bills qb's for parts of the season, yet smith had more catches, more yards per catch and was constantly a threat.

it's so easy for teams to defend evans out of the equation. Evans is a fantastic number 2, if we only had a number 1.

I think Evans is a borderline #1, but I think a lot of people underestimate him as well. It's telling to me that he's annually among the league receivers who drop the fewest passes per # of targets.

You would be right except for one thing: we don't throw to Evans nearly as much as (for example) Carolina QB's throw to Steve Smith. I remember a game a year or two ago where it broke a streak of games with 1+ receptions for Evans. Most of the time, the team targets him once or twice, but then goes to tight ends, running backs, etc.

I simply don't think Evans is getting the number of targets that #1 receivers on other crappy teams get. Is that because the other teams shut him down or because our QB's rarely throw to WR's and our coaches have been horrible at running and offense? I don't think the former reason contributes nearly as much as the latter two.

SquishDaFish
08-26-2010, 03:03 PM
Who gives a ****??

DrGraves
08-26-2010, 03:04 PM
moulds would be going into the hall of fame if he had a decent qb at any point in his career... but i sure hope he gets put on the wall at the ralph soon!

DolfanTom
08-26-2010, 03:04 PM
I'm not surprised. Moulds tends to spit at Dolphins players. :drool2:
Forgot about that, I think it was Madison.

justasportsfan
08-26-2010, 03:12 PM
Forgot about that, I think it was Madison.
Surtain

DolfanTom
08-26-2010, 03:23 PM
Right Surtain!

It's more fun when the players hate each other! Here's hoping for a fight on opening day!!!

justasportsfan
08-26-2010, 03:25 PM
Right Surtain!

It's more fun when the players hate each other! Here's hoping for a fight on opening day!!!

Thats because the power in the AFCE has shifted. Everyone hates Brady and the pats. The Bills-Dolphins rivalry isn't as strong as it used to be. The only one on the bills team that remembers that is Evans.

Dr. Lecter
08-26-2010, 03:33 PM
....says the guy with "83" in his username.

Who said Evans was better? I think pretty much everyone agrees that Moulds is the 2nd best WR this team has ever had, behind Reed.

I might put Butler or Dubenion (although I never saw him) in the discussion of being #2. Chandler too, but his lack of speed is a killer.

Jerry Butler would have a ton of records had he been healthy. That is the one thing that holds him back and makes him hard to evaluate.

BuffaloBlitz83
08-26-2010, 03:40 PM
The Dolphins may be better than the Bills, But I'm sorry I'd never support wearing orange and teal and wear a freaking Dolphin logo. Talk about GAYNESS. A Buffalo is manly.

DolfanTom
08-26-2010, 03:50 PM
Thats because the power in the AFCE has shifted. Everyone hates Brady and the pats. The Bills-Dolphins rivalry isn't as strong as it used to be. The only one on the bills team that remembers that is Evans.

Yeah, well I got Bills scars that go back to 1987 so I always look at the Bills as a rival, no matter what the situation. Feels great when we win, stings to the bone when we lose.

Dr. Lecter
08-26-2010, 03:51 PM
Yeah, well I got Bills scars that go back to 1987 so I always look at the Bills as a rival, no matter what the situation. Feels great when we win, stings to the bone when we lose.
I have stings from the 70s and that really sucks.

JCBills
08-26-2010, 04:48 PM
From a Dolfan's perspective, I always feared Moulds more than I do Evans. Evans can be a nice player, but Moulds was a star. Killed us a few times.

Reed was better, but how much? When Reed played, you had a truly dynamic offense that has playmakers everywhere. How good would he have been if he had played when Mould's was the main man? Probably still pretty good - just saying, Reed was but one of what seemed like 15 guys to fear in that offense.

Reed was ridiculously good though. 3rd all time in receptions when he retired. Probably one of the best all time with the ball in his hands after the catch, and was a true "do-it-all" WR.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=adDmdg5DD6Q

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-H1fl0zu0I

YardRat
08-26-2010, 04:53 PM
Moulds at #2 is an arguable point, and others have earned consideration as Lecter has already pointed out.

Reed was better than any WR the Fins have ever had, or ever will have.

Buffalogic
08-26-2010, 04:54 PM
If Evans had been drafted by the colts he would have surpassed everything Marvin Harrison did. He'd become instantly better the first day he's off the bills.

justasportsfan
08-26-2010, 05:43 PM

fans remember those days. Players? Lee said that he's had to remind his teammates about the rivalry and how big a bills-fins game is.