PDA

View Full Version : Why shouldn't we give this kid a chance?

BillsWin
08-27-2010, 08:25 PM
I saw him play with my own two eyes at Abilene Christian. He can play. If anyone thinks he is a problem after reading this, I don't know what to tell you. If scum bags like Ben Rapesberger and Michael Dogkiller Vick can get second chances, but this kid who made a mistake as a 16 year old can't, something is wrong with the NFL.

Honestly, what he did was sick. But a mistake none-the-less. If Abilene Christian, one of the strictest and most religious colleges I've ever seen can forgive and forget, then the Bills sure as hell should be able to.

This kid is second round talent. And the stigma of being tried as an adult for a sex offense ruined his life.

Anyway, this is a real good read. One of the better ESPN articles I've read in a long time. I feel like out of all the teams out there, the Bills could and should be the one to give this kid a shot. He can only make the team better, and his problems seem to be in the past. It is the behavior of others towards him that are keeping him in such a dark place and keeping him from moving forward with his life.

Sad story.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5497517

LOCATED IN A WAREHOUSE outside Dallas, the windowless Metroflex Gym is not air-conditioned, an aesthetic choice that edits the clientele to a select group of cops, bikers, bodybuilders and other masochists who thrive on the deprivation that exercising in unfiltered 110-degree heat produces. Inside on this blazing midsummer day, patrons are greeted by a 10-foot wooden cross and the rib-rattling sounds of speed metal or hardcore rap. The walls are plastered with bodybuilding glossies, pictures of champions past and present, including local hero and former Mr. Olympia Ronnie Coleman. Above the photos, artwork depicts the end times -- which, in the given environment, are easy to imagine.
Below the cross, NFL hopeful Tony Washington is pumping out a set of curls. At 6-foot-7 and 310 pounds, the 24-year-old offensive lineman is easily the biggest man in a room filled with big men. His shoulders are the size of <ipadpagebreak>canned hams; his thighs cement-solid. As he pauses to swig water laced with protein powder, a 4-year-old girl toddles over and stops at his feet.</ipadpagebreak>
"My mama is over there," she shouts, pointing a chocolate-covered finger toward the rear of the gym.
Washington smiles, gives her a gentle high-five. "You gonna work out too?" he asks, crouching to meet the girl eye-to-eye. She shakes her head.
"Is that chocolate bar for me?" he teases.
"No!"
Washington laughs, then nods to the mother, who gives him a thumbs-up. "Looking good, Tony!" she yells over the music.

At this year's NFL combine, in March, Washington finished with a 6.3 national grade, projecting him as a possible second-round talent. Then the whispers started. In team interviews, he had been up-front about his record. "No big deal," he says he was told by league gatekeepers. But Ben Roethlisberger and Michael Vick were causing a stir, ushering in a new tide of character scrutiny. And as the draft neared, owners and their decision-makers began to think it through. How do you defend your choice to draft a known sex offender? Would Washington need to announce his crime every time his team traveled to another state? (No.) Would teammates accept him?
With the whispering came rumors. That he was a rapist. That his sister was mentally disabled. That he'd had run-ins with women since the incident.
"None of which was true!" shouts his agent, former NFL defensive back Vann McElroy. "You get a feeling from bad guys. Things keep coming up. But Tony is clean, and has been for years."

BillsWin
08-27-2010, 08:30 PM
This part really got me thinking, why is this kid not getting a look.

Before the draft, McElroy hired sports psychology consultant Robert Andrews to determine Washington's readiness for the pressures of the NFL. "You know what I say to people who want to throw this kid out?" Andrews says. "I say go spend six months in the worst part of New Orleans, and imagine yourself being a child there, and see if you can come to a place of understanding about how this could have happened."
Andrews dug deep in his evaluation, administering a battery of psychological tests. Washington profiled as a leader. A sociable person. A man with resilience. "Nothing to indicate any trouble down the road," Andrews says.

SquishDaFish
08-27-2010, 08:35 PM
I agree man totally. I remember reading about him at draft time. Sick what he did but if the two idiots got second chances this kid should get at least one.

Bmax
08-27-2010, 08:36 PM
I read it and agree.. I hope the UFL gives him a shot....He is at least worth the practice squad....Confused kid him and his sister...it happens more than people would care to admit....

Bmax

BillsWin
08-27-2010, 08:52 PM
I really feel bad for this kid. And that scout is a moron who said he just doesn't see remorse from Washington. I bet the guy cries himself to sleep almost every night. His life is ruined and people have done worse. A lot worse, and they get a 4-6 game suspension. While this guy gets a life of constant punishment.

If this guy came in and paved the road to the playoffs by shutting down opponent pass rushers, nobody would care about what he did when he was 16. If he killed a guy, sure I wouldn't want him near my team. If he had raped his sister, yeah he doesn't deserve a chance.

But what it seems happened was a consensual mistake and then a (possibly illegal) breech of interrogation conduct by the local police. And then, he was tried as an adult sex offender which is ridiculous. This guy went to jail and therapy with child rapists and rapists and just the scum of the earth.

He never had a chance.

ZAZusmc03
08-27-2010, 09:07 PM
That is truly a sad story. I would be thrilled if the bills brought him in.

Mr. Pink
08-27-2010, 09:08 PM
If this guy had the skills that the article is alleging he does, someone would have taken a 7th round or UDFA flier on him in hopes that he's cleaned up his act.

Other athletes have had run ins with the law and get chances.

There's more to it than just his criminal past is basically what I'm saying.

BillsWin
08-27-2010, 09:11 PM
If this guy had the skills that the article is alleging he does, someone would have taken a 7th round or UDFA flier on him in hopes that he's cleaned up his act.

I saw multiple scouting reports on him with a second to mid round grade. I think it's like the front office "source" quoted in the article said. It would be a media relations mess.

That being said, I am still shocked nobody has given him a shot.

Mad Max
08-27-2010, 09:15 PM

I don't think there's any more to it. He probably indeed is a true second round talent, but his "crime" makes him untouchable. His problem is that even though he apparently hurt noone is that what he did makes people go "ewww", it creates a sense of revulsion...and teams know that the Bible thumping brigade would be out in force were they to bring him in. Just too many headaches for them to want to take a flyer.

Mr. Pink
08-27-2010, 09:17 PM
I saw multiple scouting reports on him with a second to mid round grade. I think it's like the front office "source" quoted in the article said. It would be a media relations mess.

That being said, I am still shocked nobody has given him a shot.

I'll give a recent guy who had rape allegations that still got drafted high...Eric Wright.

Teams don't care about character and media relations, if they did Roethlisberger wouldn't have a job, Vick wouldn't have a job, Leonard Little wouldn't have a job, Stallworth wouldn't have a job...etc etc etc.

There's gotta be more to this then what the article is stating.

BertSquirtgum
08-27-2010, 09:30 PM
he had a sex with his sister. what kind of person does that? i don't want to look at this guy.

DraftBoy
08-27-2010, 09:58 PM
I'll give a recent guy who had rape allegations that still got drafted high...Eric Wright.

Teams don't care about character and media relations, if they did Roethlisberger wouldn't have a job, Vick wouldn't have a job, Leonard Little wouldn't have a job, Stallworth wouldn't have a job...etc etc etc.

There's gotta be more to this then what the article is stating.

Wright's were allegations, Washington is a convicted sex offender. Huge difference and you know that.

There is nothing else to this story though his talent is undeniable but he is a PR nightmare. A convicted sex offender who slept with his sister. Even for the NFL itself who likes to talk about family friendly it's an extremely hard sell. I'd take the kid in a second, and from the people Ive spoken with about him all think he wil get that shot sooner rather than later.

TigerJ
08-27-2010, 10:52 PM
I support giving him another chance 100%. As for the scout who criticized him for not showing remorse, the incident in question happened 8 years ago. As human beings we are not emotionally capable of acting like it happened yesterday 8 years later. I'm sure if you ask the guy, he'll say he regrets having done it, but he and his sister both have to live the rest of their lives. I've done things I regret, but it's stupid to expect to have to beat myself up for it the rest of my life.

DrGraves
08-28-2010, 12:23 AM
if he was the real deal he would have gotten a chance by now. the bills have enough problems right now... they don't need to add to the circus