• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dr. Lecter
    Zero for Zero!
    • Mar 2003

Galley mum about quarterback plans

So what will be the Buffalo Bills' quarterback rotation tonight? You'll have to attend the game at Ralph Wilson Stadium to find out.

Trent Edwards is expected to start against the Cincinnati Bengals. But who will replace him is a mystery.

Ryan Fitzpatrick and Brian Brohm have each appeared in one game. Fitzpatrick backed up Edwards in the exhibition opener at Washington, while Brohm sat on the bench. The roles were reversed against Indianapolis last week. Rookie Levi Brown finished up both games.

Head coach Chan Gailey has known the QB pecking order since Tuesday, but refused to let the media in on the secret all week. Only the team knows who will be under center tonight.

Fitzpatrick said after Thursday's practice that he was unaware of Gailey's plans. The players weren't available to the media following the team's walkthrough on Friday.

Whoever follows Edwards could be an indication of which quarterback has the leg up on the No. 2 spot.

Fitzpatrick completed 9 of 14 passes for 61 yards and directed a pair of drives that ended in touchdowns, including a 5-yard scoring toss to rookie receiver David Nelson, in six possessions against to the Redskins. Only one of Brohm's five drives against the Colts ended in points (a field goal), but he went 14 for 21 for 87 yards.

The bold part is very interesting and puts a little different spin on the battle
    Originally posted by mysticsoto
    Lecter is right in everything he said.
  • Michael82
    • Jul 2002

Re: Galley mum about quarterback plans

Originally posted by Dr. Lecter
    http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/article174345.ece

The bold part is very interesting and puts a little different spin on the battle
    You really like to show your anti-Brohm side, don't ya? Fitzpatrick did absolutely nothing for the first 4 drives, until all the Redskins 3rd and 4th stringers were in. Then he had a nice drive at the end of the 3rd quarter, including one HUGE 43-yard run by Chad Simpson to help him out. The last drive, was all Joique Bell, who ran for 28-yards and the TD after the Bills started at the Washington 35-yard line.

Comment

• Michael82
      • Jul 2002

As for Brohm...his big drive was right at the end of the 2nd quarter. It was a long 13 play drive for 67 yards and took 5:43 of the clock. He also had no help from the running game. His longest run was 2 yards and he took up most of the clock left at the end of the 1st half. After that, his longest run for 12-yards and the Bills were backed up at their own 12-yard line.

Comment

• X-Era
        What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace
        • Feb 2005

Exactly, they both are about equal in what they do now. The big difference is that Fitz will get no better, only worse. Brohm can still be molded.

If both arent great, why not go with the guy who has upside and can still develop?

Comment

• Yasgur's Farm
          • Feb 2005

Originally posted by X-Era
          Exactly, they both are about equal in what they do now. The big difference is that Fitz will get no better, only worse. Brohm can still be molded.

If both arent great, why not go with the guy who has upside and can still develop?
          Not to mention... Has the much stronger arm.

Comment

• Michael82
            • Jul 2002

One more thing, Allen Wilson got the stats wrong. Brian Brohm didn't only throw for 87 yards.

Brohm was 14/21 for 125 yards

Comment

• Dr. Lecter
              Zero for Zero!
              • Mar 2003

Originally posted by Mikey82
              You really like to show your anti-Brohm side, don't ya? Fitzpatrick did absolutely nothing for the first 4 drives, until all the Redskins 3rd and 4th stringers were in. Then he had a nice drive at the end of the 3rd quarter, including one HUGE 43-yard run by Chad Simpson to help him out. The last drive, was all Joique Bell, who ran for 28-yards and the TD after the Bills started at the Washington 35-yard line.
              Ant-brohm side?

lol! Truth hurts doesn't it?

Comment

• Dr. Lecter
                Zero for Zero!
                • Mar 2003

Because neither guy is the future QB and I question if Brohm really has any upside.

Why not go with the smarter guy who can help Brown and other players on offense learn and develop? Why not go with the guy that can help next year's QB (Luck, Mallet, Ponder, Locker, etc.) learn how to play the game?

Fitz is great for the role of a #2 guy. Brohm is not.

Comment

• Dr. Lecter
                  Zero for Zero!
                  • Mar 2003

Originally posted by draz54
                  Not to mention... Has the much stronger arm.

So? Arm strength is way overrated. Sure there is a minimal amount needed. But arm strength w/o accuracy or smarts does no good.

Comment

• X-Era
                    • Feb 2005

Because neither guy is the future QB and I question if Brohm really has any upside.

Why not go with the smarter guy who can help Brown and other players on offense learn and develop? Why not go with the guy that can help next year's QB (Luck, Mallet, Ponder, Locker, etc.) learn how to play the game?

Fitz is great for the role of a #2 guy. Brohm is not.
                    Sorry Doc, but I don't agree.

1) Fitz has reportedly trash talked Brohm since he showed up. That doesnt exactly seem like a quality mentor to me.

2) Brohm has not proven that he cant do it yet, he hasn't had the chance really. Brohm hasn't shown he can be the guy either. He's an unknown. Fitz is not. Fitz, however, has proven that he cant be the guy. There is no upside with Fitz.

The truth is, though, that the Bills may just repeat past mistakes a.l.a. Holcomb, and keep the vet in hopes that his experience will equal wins. It hasn't and IMO it wont. This is a rebuilding team with no need for a guy who wont ever get any better and isn't good enough now. just my

Comment

• jmb1099
                      • Sep 2004

So? Arm strength is way overrated. Sure there is a minimal amount needed. But arm strength w/o accuracy or smarts does no good.
                      As Mikey pointed out, your stats are wrong.
                      Saying Fitz is smarter doesn't make him smarter.

Comment

• ddaryl
                        Everything I post is sexual inuendo
                        • Jan 2005

That's exactly how I feel.. there is little reason to keep fitz.

Comment

• ddaryl
                          Everything I post is sexual inuendo
                          • Jan 2005

What I saw Brohm do against Indy showed upside. He through some nice looking balls with more zip then Fitz could...

Of course I want to see more, but gotta stick with the guy who has more upside and arm strength for those Buffalo winters.

having a guy like Fitz as your #2 guy assumes you have a bonafide no doubt #1 guy.. We do not therefore we need the QB's that still have a chance to develope into a #1 guy at our #2 spot.

Fitz won't be leading us anywhere Brohm or Edwards can't, therefore the deciding factors is upside, and even if Fitz gains us 1 or 2 wins in reserve they will be useless wins since this team is not a playoff caliber team...
                          Last edited by ddaryl; 08-28-2010, 10:08 AM.

Comment

• Dr. Lecter
                            Zero for Zero!
                            • Mar 2003

Sorry Doc, but I don't agree.

1) Fitz has reportedly trash talked Brohm since he showed up. That doesnt exactly seem like a quality mentor to me.

2) Brohm has not proven that he cant do it yet, he hasn't had the chance really. Brohm hasn't shown he can be the guy either. He's an unknown. Fitz is not. Fitz, however, has proven that he cant be the guy. There is no upside with Fitz.

The truth is, though, that the Bills may just repeat past mistakes a.l.a. Holcomb, and keep the vet in hopes that his experience will equal wins. It hasn't and IMO it wont. This is a rebuilding team with no need for a guy who wont ever get any better and isn't good enough now. just my

1. Reportedly? based on what? Speculation? Any links?

2. Brohm has had a chance. Do you really think GB just cut a 2nd round QB for the hell of it? I too have not shown that I can't be the guy. Should the Bills sign me? The reason he does nor get games in the regular season is because he has not earned that chance.

Comment

• X-Era
                              • Feb 2005

Originally posted by ddaryl
                              What I saw Brohm do against Indy showed upside. He through some nice looking balls with more zip then Fitz could...

Of course I want to see more, but gotta stick with the guy who has more upside and arm strength for those Buffalo winters.

having a guy like Fitz as your #2 guy assumes you have a bonafide no doubt #1 guy.. We do not therefore we need the QB's that still have a chance to develope into a #1 guy at our #2 spot.

Fitz won't be leading us anywhere Brohm or Edwards can't, therefore the deciding factors is upside, and even if Fitz gains us 1 or 2 wins in reserve they will be useless wins since this team is not a playoff caliber team...
                              He looked pretty poised for a guy with 1 NFL start to his name.

He is inexperienced. Therefore, we dont know if he can be the guy or not. He has to prove it. But, that also means he needs to play the games.

Comment

Working...
                              X